All things Tashawn Manning (Merged)

ellitor

CnK_rV4WAAA2tGE.jpg

Plans to enroll at AU in January

6_3862878.jpg
(Photo: Keith Niebuhr, 247Sports)

A day after his final chemotherapy treatment, 2016 Auburn defensive tackle signee Tashawn Manning was upbeat when reached by AuburnUndercover.

“I’m all done!,” Manning said. 

Manning, a 3-star recruit, was diagnosed with acute promyelocytic leukemia on Thanksgiving Day last year. He began chemo that weekend, lost more than 60 pounds and admittedly got a little depressed about his situation.

At first, the treatments were difficult. Manning’s body didn’t always react well. He had several lengthy stays in the hospital.

But now … he's all smiles.

“The doctors are confident,” Manning said. “They were confident before (he finished chemo). I should be cleared up. The past couple weeks my blood count has been perfect. They think I’m done.”

According to Manning, he has spoken with both Auburn coach Gus Malzahn and assistant Scott Fountain, his area recruiter, in recent days.

“Coach Malzahn said he was proud of what I accomplished,” Manning said. “And Coach Fountain pretty much said the same thing.”

As soon as Manning left the hospital Monday, his focus shifted to Auburn.

“Man, I can’t wait to get there,” Manning said. “It’s been on my mind ever since my last procedure. That was the first thing that came up when I got home. Now we’re done with this, it’s time to get to Auburn. Let’s get started.”

Manning was one of two Auburn signees diagnosed with cancer. The other, offensive lineman Brodarious Hamm, enrolled at Auburn two weeks ago. He'll redshirt in 2016.

Manning’s plan is to enroll at Auburn in January. 

“I’ve got to wait at least a week, to get my port removed — that’s the thing in my chest,” Manning said. "Once I get that out, my dad has gotten me a personal trainer. I’m going to be doing heavy lifting, trying to get back so I’m ready before I go to Auburn.”

Manning will visit Auburn for the season opener against Clemson.

With chemo in the rear view mirror, he’s excited about his future.

“I just can’t wait to set my mark when I get to Auburn,” Manning said. “I know a lot of people are saying, ‘He has cancer, he’s not going to do this.’ But when I get there, I’m going full speed, hard 24/7 every day of the week.”

CnK_tUXXEAAZ2sS.jpg

More info on Tashawn

-He already is back up to 290 pounds. His goal now is to gain the muscle back and then take it to another level physique wise.

-He will be in Auburn next weekend for the program's picnic recruiting event

This is good to hear.  As a person that just recently received a cancer diagnosis (it's treatable), I'm glad to see our coaches standing behind these guys.

51 minutes ago, DaddyBoyAU said:

This is good to hear.  As a person that just recently received a cancer diagnosis (it's treatable), I'm glad to see our coaches standing behind these guys.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, DaddyBoyAU. 

Congratulations Tashawn, my 12 year old grand daughter is going through chemo right now for leukemia - I cannot wait for her to read

your article and see how you were cured by the hands of the doctors and the will of Jesus Christ. Perhaps when you get enrolled at Auburn I could get you to send me an autographed picture for her.

May god bless you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bananadance: 

1 hour ago, DaddyBoyAU said:

May you have a complete and quick recovery.

More info on Tashawn

-He already is back up to 290 pounds. His goal now is to gain the muscle back and then take it to another level physique wise.

-He will be in Auburn next weekend for the program's picnic recruiting event

Great news about this young man. DaddyBoyAU as a colorectal survivor, listen to the sawbones, lean on the one who is really in control, and with your permission, gonna join you in prayer. If you need at any time someone to just vent with who has been there, message me.

That is fantastic news. Getting my port out was one of the most wonderful feelings because it was finally concrete proof that the treatments were over. 

Tashawn seems like an awesome guy (hell, I know I didn't start weight training a week after my treatment ended). Proud to call him an Auburn Tiger.

Best of luck to him with his recovery!!  Beating the big C is tough and far more important than sports.

wde

Thanks for the well wishes @McLoofus, @kingfish, @warhogone.  As I said, mine should be treatable, a couple of surgeries plus low doses of radiation.  Tashawn went through more than I will have to; he's a very brave young man.  I hope he gets his strength back and competes for playing time.

I'm still praying for you, Tashawn. Can't wait to see you lined up for kickoff. Keep the Faith my friend.

• 7 months later...

Cancer survivors Brodarious Hamm, Tashawn Manning cleared for spring practice

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Auburn received some good news ahead of the start of spring practice. 

Offensive lineman Brodarious Hamm and defensive lineman Tashawn Manning, both of whom originally signed with Auburn in 2016 but were diagnosed with cancer before enrolling, have been cleared to participate in spring practice, head coach Gus Malzahn announced.

"I'm excited to get both those guys out there," Malzahn said. "They will be limited and we'll just kind of see how things go with that."

The news comes four weeks after Malzahn said on National Signing Day that he was hopeful the two would be cleared for spring practices.

Manning was a three-star prospect out of Wekiva High in Apopka, Fla., when he signed with Auburn in 2016. He signed with the Tigers despite being diagnosed with acute promyelocytic leukemia on Thanksgiving in 2015 after he began experiencing shortness of breath during his senior season at Wekiva.

A day later, Manning began chemotherapy treatment, which lasted eight months. Manning finished chemotherapy on July 10 last year and was declared cancer-free by his doctors. Although he was not enrolled at Auburn during that time, Manning took online classes at Valencia College in Florida during the summer and fall before arriving in Auburn last month for the start of spring semester.

Hamm was a three-star offensive tackle out of Spalding High in Griffin, Ga., and also signed with Auburn in 2016. Hamm was then diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma, a rare form of cancer, more than a month later in March. He also began treatment, which was supposed to finish up last August, and although he was not with the team last year, Auburn honored his scholarship while he was enrolled in classes on campus.

Hamm is expected to be a reserve on the left side of Auburn's offensive line at either guard or tackle, while Manning is seventh or eighth on Auburn's projected depth chart among defensive tackles.

I expect when either of those guys gets into a game for the first time we will be glad we don't have a roof on Jordon Hare as it would probably get blown off by the fans cheering. What a remarkable story for both of these fine young men.

Thank you for the OP. Awesome story!

I am so damn proud of Auburn for hanging with these guys in the tradition of Shon Coleman and behaving like we expect while so many colleges would have slinked away from doing the right thing. It's not like Hamm & Manning are five star guys either - just a quality humanitarian stand by our people in charge. If the sports media were more than yellow hacks they'd be all over THESE Auburn stories. War Damn Eagle!

11 hours ago, thaitopher said:

Isn't Hamm expected to start?

No sir. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see these guys redshirt this season.

Archived