Al Borges new Offensive Analyst

gr82b4au

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like this hire. Having overqualified guys in analyst positions will only help. Now let's get Al that national title ring he rightfully deserves.

11 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Age & craftiness beats youth & skill every time. Or something like that.

I thought it was age and treachery...

If memory serves me, and goodness knows that's iffy, Borges ran a hybred West Coast/power scheem. There was a lot if emphasis on presnap reads, quick throws, and throwing to the RB's.

All of the will transition nicely to CCL's RPO/Airraid roots.

Al Borges - quality person, quality hire.

WDE 

37 minutes ago, JoeinPF said:

If memory serves me, and goodness knows that's iffy, Borges ran a hybred West Coast/power scheem. There was a lot if emphasis on presnap reads, quick throws, and throwing to the RB's.

WDE 

Plus the man knows how to deal with a QB.  I'm not saying he would have turned JJ into an NFL QB, but Jason Campbell was certainly not an NFL QB until Borges arrived...

18 hours ago, JoeinPF said:

WDE 

He did a lot of preset shifts and motion. I loved it. Tubs made him stop. 

3 hours ago, alexava said:

He did a lot of preset shifts and motion. I loved it. Tubs made him stop. 

Speaking of...

‘Borges was hired as an offensive analyst, so he won't be on the field.

"But he's going to be in meetings and making suggestions," Tuberville explained. "That'll be a good start. Chip Lindsey, the new coordinator, really hasn't been in college football that long. Al will be able to help Chip Lindsey formulate things that will work in the conference. Al's been in the SEC. He's been in big-time football his whole life. I think it's a great plus for Auburn." ‘

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/04/tommy_tuberville_chimes_in_on.html

This will not be a popular opinion, but I am going to say it.  I hated the offense with AB.  It was more predictable than CGM\CRL in the last few years.  It seemed like he had 3 plays to each side: dive, sweep or screen.  And it worked great with Brown & Caddie in the backfield.  I know we had a few other plays but that felt like 85% of the play calling.  This was evident from AU and even when he went to Michigan.  A friend of mine is a wolverine fan and he was all excited about getting AB.  I didn't say anything and thought maybe he will do a great job there.  About half way through the season I was getting calls about how big AB's play book is.  If they didn't have such an athlete at QB (and A LOT of luck) at the time then they would not have won near as many games.

However with that being said this is an excellent hire.  The experience that AB brings to the table for a young staff will be greatly valued.  I know CHH has been around awhile, but CCL is still relatively young and of course CKB.  The other great thing AB brings (like many have mentioned) will be the use of pre-snap shifts and that could be a great benefit in the CCL offense next season.

**Note: I understand that I am probably in the minority of my opinion here since we are 3 pages into this thread and no one else has mentioned this, but hey let's see if I can't ruffle a few feathers this am.

22 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Age & craftiness beats youth & skill every time. Or something like that.

I though it was that the age and craft of good Scotch and expensive Whisky beat the youth of Maddog 2020 and Boones Stawberry hill. Or something like that.

Just now, Tiger said:

I was under the impression that our offense under CAB became more predictable because after we we became very successful in '04. I always thought that in true AU HC fashion, Tubs wanted to be more and more conservative until he was ushered out the door.

It also did not help at all when we lost all of our playmakers on the outside after 05 besides courtney taylor. We did not recruit suitable replacements for anthony mix, Obamanu and Aromashadu (sp?). So we basically had to become even more conservative than we already were and grind out games with our running game and defense.

I was under the impression that Tubs put the clamps on CAB after '05. For some reason our HC's, once they get a taste of success, become increasingly conservative.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

It also did not help at all when we lost all of our playmakers on the outside after 05 besides courtney taylor. We did not recruit suitable replacements for anthony mix, Obamanu and Aromashadu (sp?). So we basically had to become even more conservative than we already were and grind out games with our running game and defense.

agh dammit you quoted me before I deleted and re-wrote my post. The post you quoted looks exactly like someone celebrating their birthday weekend with an early start :laugh:

Good post though. Recruiting took a nose dive and our best WR was a walk-on in Rodriguez Smith which I'm sure limited our options offensively. Not to demean Smith, he was good for us and we would've been worse without him.

12 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

I though it was that the age and craft of good Scotch and expensive Whisky beat the youth of Maddog 2020 and Boones Stawberry hill. Or something like that.

Hows'about

“Face it girls, I'm older and I have more insurance”

Al brought that motion sweep/ fake sweep offense with shifting had defenders guessing and panicking. Then we just stop doing it. Tubs reeled him in then complained were too bland to recruit elite QBs and Wrs. So he fired him and brought Tony franklin to run a high octane offense minus the high octane players or cooperation from position coaches. This is why tubs don't need to be governor. Al was good when he had something to work with. He and tubs both too lazy to recruit. 

I still remember the message board meltdown when Tubs hired Borges. Most of us had not heard  of him. Worked out pretty well for Auburn then, and I believe he will be a big asset again. WDE and welcome home Mr Borges!

Speaking of Borges' tenure at Auburn, I seem to remember when he arrive there was a lot of talent that fit his system. But as time when on, the talent level dropped off becasue, as a staff, a number of people were mailing it in when it came to recruiting. 

Yes, AB preformed a miracle with Jason Campbell, but as simeone else once said, "to be successful, you need to limit yourself to one miracle per mission."

Were there flaws in his offence - sure. Would it work today - only in select circumstances. But, with that being said, we are not putting in his system. We're using his knowledge to make CCL's system better.

Still think this was a great hire, especially with the NCAA drying up the pool of qualified HS coaches. 

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

I was under the impression that Tubs put the clamps on CAB after '05. For some reason our HC's, once they get a taste of success, become increasingly conservative.

I'm not sure it was Tubs that made Borges conservative, but rather the limitations of the personnel. At the start of 2006, Auburn's offense was really good. But Kenny Irons got hurt scoring his long touchdown against WSU in the 2nd half of that game and then Cox got hurt against LSU 2 weeks later and the offense was just never quite the same after that. Good and solid but never explosive. Without dynamic receivers in 2007, Cox was limited in what he could do and we looked too conservative again. But certainly, after the first couple of games in 2007, I think Tubs made up his mind about the offense and kept it simple, thinking we could win most of our games with defense and ball control offense. We beat Arkansas that way 9-7, almost pulled it off against LSU in BR, and outlasted Alabama at home with that strategy.

16 minutes ago, lca408 said:

I'm not sure it was Tubs that made Borges conservative, but rather the limitations of the personnel. At the start of 2006, Auburn's offense was really good. But Kenny Irons got hurt scoring his long touchdown against WSU in the 2nd half of that game and then Cox got hurt against LSU 2 weeks later and the offense was just never quite the same after that. Good and solid but never explosive. Without dynamic receivers in 2007, Cox was limited in what he could do and we looked too conservative again. But certainly, after the first couple of games in 2007, I think Tubs made up his mind about the offense and kept it simple, thinking we could win most of our games with defense and ball control offense. We beat Arkansas that way 9-7, almost pulled it off against LSU in BR, and outlasted Alabama at home with that strategy.

Yup, I'm warming up to this theory after thinking about it more. We just didn't have as much talent on our team. Plus our pass blocking was horrid which made matters worse. I still feel bad for Brandon Cox -- it was apparent he had no confidence in his OL post '05.

Jayson Campbell was a very top level QB recruit, often mentioned as "The Future" by other players during his redshirt year. Borges did well with him, but it's not hard to do well with a future NFL QB. Me, I have a hard time seeing how Borges's style of coaching will fit in with what Gus & Chip want to do. I like Al as a person but I simply do not see what he brings to the table under the current circumstances. "Too many cooks spoil the stew". The offense during A-day looked fine to me. What needs tweaking? Why tweak before we've even seen what Chip's offense will look like?

Archived