2018 5* QB Justin Fields

ellitor

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

2nd half of that dawgnation.com interview

The secrecy topic with Justin Fields

Justin Fields-UGA recruiting
Justin Fields rates as the No. 1 overall prospect in America, according to the 247Sports composite. (Jeff Sentell/SEC Country)

There has been a lot of information and misinformation about Fields. The narrative has followed a similar script this summer.

The 5-star QB takes a visit. The program “insiders” and message board chatter rises up that Latest Visit U. now has a choke-hold on Fields for the Class of 2018.

That same tune keeps coming up on shuffle play.

Where is that coming from?

Does Fields choose his words carefully among his fellow recruits? There’s a code there. Most know where their elite peers will eventually go. They keep a lid on those thoughts. That’s to respect that player’s wishes for when he wants his favored school to be known.

His decision is the most sought-after recruiting intel in America right now.

How does Fields police that?

“I would say it is kind of hard,” Fields said. “You kind of just have to select the people and have to know who to trust. And just to trust a select amount of people. You can’t tell everybody your business because eventually, it will get out. You have to build relationships with certain players and certain guys and just tell them. That’s because when you commit to a place you want them to come with you because they are good players.”

Fields told DawgNation he feels his decision could be the tipping point for as many as eight players to join him at the right program. If even half of those players follow him, that’s a substantial amount of pull.

“That’s kind of hard to keep all of that secret,” Fields said.

It still boggles my mind how his stock has soared since last May. That’s when the 5-star from Harrison High School finally received his first offer, that one from North Carolina.

The Justin Fields Q&A: What happened with Florida? 

Q. You said no teams are eliminated from your primary group. Is Florida, which just picked up a commit from 5-star QB Matt Corral, now out of it? 

A. No, not really. I am kind of just weighing my options. Florida has been doing great the past two years. So they are not totally out of the picture. You’re going to have to compete wherever you go. I’m not afraid to compete. Iron really sharpens iron. At the end of the day, Matt is a really great player, but if I feel if I do go there, we will just make each other better.

Justin Fields said he might need to take a good, long look at how the seasons for his primary options start out. (Jeff Sentell/SEC Country)

Q. Did you ever have a private conversation with Matt to share what one another was thinking? Do players do that? 

A. You mean like tell each other where we are going to go?

Q: Yeah. Matt seemed very pro-Georgia at The Opening, and then he abruptly commits to Florida on his first visit to Gainesville. What do you think happened? 

A. I kind of thought he wanted to commit to Georgia at The Opening and stuff. But players talk. So at Florida, we were at the camp and talking or whatever and he said he was going to commit to Florida. So I was kind of surprised by that. At first, we kind of didn’t really talk about it. But I think he kind of wanted to go to Georgia. His mind was set on Georgia, but I think after that Florida visit, he quickly started liking Florida a whole lot.

Covering the UGA topics with Justin Fields 

Q. How do you look at the chance to play your freshman year at Georgia? Is playing time a factor? 

A. “I guess I could be the second-string quarterback at Georgia next year, but that is still kind of iffy. That depends on how Jacob [Eason] does this year. I might be able to get some playing time next year. I guess I’m kind of looking at the season or looking into the season and what happens for Georgia there.”

Justin Fields said he’s really seen everything he needs to see from the schools he is strongly considering. (Jeff Sentell/ SEC Country)

Q. Has your opinion changed on redshirting or sitting a year?

A. “I think there is a study where most NFL quarterbacks come after a redshirt freshman year. So playing freshman year is not a big deal to me. Of course, I want to play kind of early but waiting one year out and learning the offense and just getting better and gaining that chemistry with my teammates will help me. That is not that big of a deal to me.”

Q. What’s left for you to see or learn about Georgia? 

A. Nothing really. I feel like I’ve seen everything at pretty much every school that I’m considering. I’ve really seen everything. Really what is left now is just how the season plays out. Just how the team is doing.

Q. Will a strong or a poor start by the Bulldogs matter to you? 

A. I’m not really looking at the wins and losses and how the team plays. My main thing is the quarterback position. That’s the position I play. So say if Jacob Eason gets hurt. Of course, now I don’t want him to get hurt. I don’t want that. He’s a great guy. A great guy. But for example, then in that situation maybe Jake Fromm goes in there and lights it up. Just tears it up. Well, for me then Georgia has kind of solidified their starter. I would have to take a good look at that. Now, I’m not afraid to compete. But I feel like if he has that experience then he would have that edge over me. But if Jacob Eason plays most of the whole season, then Jake Fromm doesn’t have that edge [in playing time] on me at all.

How will he whittle these schools down? 

Q. Do you judge these schools by the “pros”  that you compile or the “cons” that you find they might have for you? Which column weighs more on the ledger?

A. I kind of weigh both the pros and the cons. I write them down on a piece of paper. At the end of the day, you have to see what is the best fit for you and your family. I would say I don’t look just at the cons or the pros but just weigh both of those factors. My dad and I were talking about that yesterday. Just the pros and the cons of each school.

Five-star QB Justin Fields has cracked an occasional smile or three while blowing up the camp circuit this summer. (Jeff Sentell/SEC Country)

Q. What do you still need to see from Florida State? 

A. I would also say there is nothing there really left to see.

Q. What’s the biggest con for you with Georgia? 

A. I would say just them not having the experience playing a [dual-threat] quarterback like me.

Q. What is also the biggest con for you with Florida State? 

A. I would say just distance. It is not that far. Just distance. Nothing else aside from that really.

Q. I see a running theme here. You want to see how the guys at Auburn and Florida State and Georgia do this year. You also want to take some official visits. Does this mean you might need to take awhile to evaluate everything? Do you want to be clear so you don’t risk having to de-commit again?

A. I’m not de-committing again. After I commit, I’m not taking any more visits to any other schools. I’m not doing anything or any more of this. I am not communicating with any other colleges. Just to that school. That’s it. I don’t want my head spinning anymore. After I commit, it is over.

I like the fact he says when he commits it for good this time. Also he thinks it will bring a few more recruits with him and he wants to see how the QB's do during the season!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Prime example of media manipulation.  They ask him "Are Georga and Florida State your two key recruiters?" and he replies, "They are, and I would say Auburn also." Thus the sportswriter, by how he setup the situation, is able to marginalize Auburn as a factor in his story, while Fields is thinking that all 3 or even Auburn and just one of the others are in equal competition.

Agreed. Noticed they asked him about only uga and fsu. In the end he may choose one of those schools, but this was a biased reporter. 

4 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Agreed. Noticed they asked him about only uga and fsu. In the end he may choose one of those schools, but this was a biased reporter. 

Every non-Auburn based reporter that I've read a story from on him has been biased to Georgia, FSU or both. Makes you wonder if there isn't a conscious effort by the media to try to influence his decision... 

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Every non-Auburn based reporter that I've read a story from on him has been biased to Georgia, FSU or both. Makes you wonder if there isn't a conscious effort by the media to try to influence his decision... 

There probably is an effort to sway him one way or another, and the reporters may not even realize it. The young man seems to have his head on right and will make what ever decision he makes for his best. That's the kind of QB we need anyway.

Just now, Timeslider 6 said:

There probably is an effort to sway him one way or another, and the reporters may not even realize it. The young man seems to have his head on right and will make what ever decision he makes for his best. That's the kind of QB we need anyway.

I totally agree. 

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I totally agree. 

You are dead on about the questioning. It's all being shifted to UGA and FSU by the questions Fields had to add AU in himself with the question about UGA and FSU. He will likely not commit before the season and will watch each team closely. Still feeling very good about JF.

As for Stidham of course I want him sticking around. The kid is a stud aND will dominate and be the top qb in the SEC this year in my opinion.

Really glad he doesn't mind redshirting but I'm surprised he is still considering FL. Also interesting that he's not looking at wins and losses or how the team plays but the qb position. We should cover all those factors this season anyway so we gucci.

14 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Getting Fields would obviously be great. I'm no expert or insider, but I think the threat of JS leaving after 1 year are way exaggerated. The kid had all of 3-4 starts under his belt. Even with an awesome year, NFL execs are going to want to see more than 15 or 16 starts before they commit millions of dollars. Cam Newton is an obvious exception, but you can count on one hand the number of QBs in the league with less than 2 years of game experience. 

That's a good point. For consistent success over the next several years, I hope he does indeed stay for two years.  If he does not, we could very well take a dip for a year until younger QB's get more experience and feel comfortable running the offense.

3 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

You are dead on about the questioning. It's all being shifted to UGA and FSU by the questions Fields had to add AU in himself with the question about UGA and FSU. He will likely not commit before the season and will watch each team closely. Still feeling very good about JF.

As for Stidham of course I want him sticking around. The kid is a stud aND will dominate and be the top qb in the SEC this year in my opinion.

I believe Stidham will end up being the top QB in the league for the next two seasons.   He is going to lead us to an SEC championship.  

6 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

I believe Stidham will end up being the top QB in the league for the next two seasons.   He is going to lead us to an SEC championship.  

Only one? ;)

6 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Well as 23 has said a number of times AU purposely makes things low key with big time recryuits they have a real shot with so the reporters are just doing what Gus & company want.

woah woah now guys we havent talked in this thread for a whole day no nonsense or any talk that has nothing to do with fields this truly is new ground 

3 minutes ago, Jaxr29 said:

woah woah now guys we havent talked in this thread for a whole day no nonsense or any talk that has nothing to do with fields this truly is new ground 

Here's a Twitter update...he RT somethinng about the Noles and those d*** dogs. Nothing major. 

I know this season will help him decide, but for the love of everything I hope he doesn't buy into the BS from Kirby. ?

27 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

Here's a Twitter update...he RT somethinng about the Noles and those d*** dogs. Nothing major. 

I know this season will help him decide, but for the love of everything I hope he doesn't buy into the BS from Kirby. ?

He also RTed when we got our new commits recently FTR.

38 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I honestly have not seen those, but am not surprised. He RT a lot of commit announcements. He's not that flashy on social media which is nice. 

It will also make it that much sweeter when he chooses the good guys! 

I wish almost every prediction and media source didn't have Fields going to either Florida St. or Georgia. I hope the early part of our season is as important as everyone is saying it is. 

27 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

I wish almost every prediction and media source didn't have Fields going to either Florida St. or Georgia. I hope the early part of our season is as important as everyone is saying it is. 

UGA had all the crystal picks this time 2 years ago on Derrick Brown FWIW.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

What is an RT? How does one go about becoming an RT person? Can anyone RT or does have to be a super football prospect?

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

What is an RT? How does one go about becoming an RT person? Can anyone RT or does have to be a super football prospect?

23 minutes ago, au_bsci_04 said:

Retweet

Dang I thought JF had changed positions to Right Tackle. Thanks for the clarification. I was really worried for a minute there.

3 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Dang I thought JF had changed positions to Right Tackle. Thanks for the clarification. I was really worried for a minute there.

I hope you are being sarcastic on the worry part. Right tackle would not make sense with the rest of the sentence of him reacting to AU commits.

Archived