2018 5* QB Justin Fields

ellitor

7 hours ago, roe4christ said:

Best case would be that Stidham stays two seasons and we still get Fields but I know that may be asking alot.

Not really.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Getting Fields would obviously be great. I'm no expert or insider, but I think the threat of JS leaving after 1 year are way exaggerated. The kid had all of 3-4 starts under his belt. Even with an awesome year, NFL execs are going to want to see more than 15 or 16 starts before they commit millions of dollars. Cam Newton is an obvious exception, but you can count on one hand the number of QBs in the league with less than 2 years of game experience. 

Yes but that number is growing yearly now a days.

3 hours ago, GordoAU said:

Unpopular opinion. Fields is massively over hyped. May end up being really good but so could Gatewood. 

Is this based on something in particular?

14 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I swear this is the most quintessential Auburn recruitment ever. Literally no one else besides Auburn reporters/insiders and Chris Nee (fsu 247 guy) give Auburn a chance. As usual the national narrative is we are running a distant third. Why does this bother me? Because WE GET LESS RESPECT than Rodney Dangerfield! lol. Will just make it that much sweeter if Fields comes and "shocks" everyone else that gives us no shot right now.

Isn't that the way we like it though.

13 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

This likely is going to happen. Well that is my thinking contingent that we have a good season. The article I real above obviously shows that Auburn and FSU r at the top. Which I know this already. In reference to nobody giving AU a chance like a said in posts above get ready for the accusations to start flying about AU buying JF. I won't be surprised for theories to have Cam involved. It is going to be very sweet when all of this plays out. JF is being very careful not to upset UGA fans etc which is smart considering he will be surrounded by them until December when he graduates and enrolls at AU. FSU is the only team with a shot atm with JF and AU has a pretty nice lead on them. This kind of reminds me of the Derrick Brown recruitment the UGA lock with most people having AU at 3rd at best during most of the process.. Truth was we were head to head with UGA the whole time. Afterwards we were being accused of buying Browns parents a house.  Once again and I can't say this enough under our current coaching staff we do not let alot of info out to beat reporters or anyone in general letting them know how we feel about getting big time recruits. It does nothing but hurt our chances.  You have to think UGA fans who basically stalk the kid on twitter will be talking FSU down not AU. Since it is a 2 team race FSU and UGA lol. Problem is both those coaching staffs well FSU in particular know what the truth is.  JF and his family or dad at least have a plan and know what they are doing. Like he said he wants to see how the season goes where he fully expects AU to have a great year. This makes the fallout from UGA fans etc going after him and family like his sister who will be softball player at UGA. And hey if I am wrong and we suck this yeAR FSU will be good and he can go there.

Lol and so right. AU had a little lead but Kirby trying to "help" out Brown's parents sealed the deal. The Brown's were not having any part of that. 

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yes but that number is growing yearly now a days.

I don't follow the NFL nearly as much as College. Other than Cam, who are some recent examples of guys drafted with less than two seasons of college starts. Just curious. 

44 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I don't follow the NFL nearly as much as College. Other than Cam, who are some recent examples of guys drafted with less than two seasons of college starts. Just curious. 

pretty much all of Alabama's defense.

44 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

MItch Trubisky only started one season at UNC and was the #2 overall pick in 2017 Draft

49 minutes ago, shabby said:

pretty much all of Alabama's defense.

I was referring to quarterbacks. 

56 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

MItch Trubisky only started one season at UNC and was the #2 overall pick in 2017 Draft

Thanks. 

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Lol and so right. AU had a little lead but Kirby trying to "help" out Brown's parents sealed the deal. The Brown's were not having any part of that. 

Yep Kirby screwed up 

7 hours ago, GordoAU said:

Unpopular opinion. Fields is massively over hyped. May end up being really good but so could Gatewood. 

Every coach in the country wants this kid on his team. You're literally the only one. 

6 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Getting Fields would obviously be great. I'm no expert or insider, but I think the threat of JS leaving after 1 year are way exaggerated. The kid had all of 3-4 starts under his belt. Even with an awesome year, NFL execs are going to want to see more than 15 or 16 starts before they commit millions of dollars. Cam Newton is an obvious exception, but you can count on one hand the number of QBs in the league with less than 2 years of game experience. 

Not only that, and I can't currently find the article, but Stidham himself has spoken against the idea that he will be one and done. If offered first round money, he may not be able to pass it up, but the number of top QBs who have stayed an extra year when they could have gone is much higher than the number of sophomore QBs who have jumped to the NFL.

14 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Not only that, and I can't currently find the article, but Stidham himself has spoken against the idea that he will be one and done. If offered first round money, he may not be able to pass it up, but the number of top QBs who have stayed an extra year when they could have gone is much higher than the number of sophomore QBs who have jumped to the NFL.

Best case for AU is for JS to put up first round one and done numbers, come back for his junior year, and for us to sign JF during the early signing period. ???

It is a loaded QB class this year with Sam Darnold of USC, Josh Allen of Wyoming, the Rosen one Josh Rosen of Ucla and Lamar Jackson the Heisman winner out of the Ville. Unlike last year none of those guys will be reaches to pick in the first round. Even if Stidham is the next highest qb on the board behind these guys for most nfl teams he still may not go first round which bodes well for AU and him coming back for a second season. http://walterfootball.com/draft2018_1.php this is the draft guru I always use to gauge someone stock as a season goes along to see how a prospect fluctuates. He has stidham going 17th right now in his latest mock.

The No. 1 overall recruit in the country in Justin Fields has seemingly eliminated one major recruiting power on his top schools list. Florida is no longer on his radar after fellow five-star quarterback Matt Corral committed there in the last week and he detailed to 247Sports the three schools now leading for him in Auburn, Georgia and Florida State.

RELATED: Justin Fields clarifies rumors of leader in recruitment

He initially said that Georgia and Florida State were the two key recruiters of him, but then added this:

“They are,” Fields said. “Well, I would say Auburn also.”

He also gave some insight on what another member of his family is thinking about his recruitment right now. “My dad likes Georgia and Florida State,” Fields said. “He likes the location with Georgia – and the coaching staff there. He likes what Florida State has done at quarterback as well though.”

There were rumors that Fields might commit in the next month before the season, but he shot those down and said he plans to take some visits during the season before committing. He also said he wasn’t sure if he would get a visit in this week before the dead period starts.

The 6’3″, 221-pound QB is the top dual-threat QB in the country as well as the top recruit overall according to 247Sports’ own rankings. He’s got over 40 offers including some from Penn State — where he originally committed — Alabama, LSU, Nebraska, Tennessee, Texas and USC among many others.

From BuzzFeed

I know its probably not the best source, but we sound like sort of an afterthought in this article.

I know our guys are saying JF to the good guys but I just keep thinking UGA and have despite our insiders thoughts (which we all sincerely appreciate) and the love that FSU seems to get.  Just seems like the easy pick to me. Hope I'm very very wrong. :)

13 minutes ago, sogaaufan said:

The No. 1 overall recruit in the country in Justin Fields has seemingly eliminated one major recruiting power on his top schools list. Florida is no longer on his radar after fellow five-star quarterback Matt Corral committed there in the last week and he detailed to 247Sports the three schools now leading for him in Auburn, Georgia and Florida State.

RELATED: Justin Fields clarifies rumors of leader in recruitment

He initially said that Georgia and Florida State were the two key recruiters of him, but then added this:

He also gave some insight on what another member of his family is thinking about his recruitment right now. “My dad likes Georgia and Florida State,” Fields said. “He likes the location with Georgia – and the coaching staff there. He likes what Florida State has done at quarterback as well though.”

There were rumors that Fields might commit in the next month before the season, but he shot those down and said he plans to take some visits during the season before committing. He also said he wasn’t sure if he would get a visit in this week before the dead period starts.

The 6’3″, 221-pound QB is the top dual-threat QB in the country as well as the top recruit overall according to 247Sports’ own rankings. He’s got over 40 offers including some from Penn State — where he originally committed — Alabama, LSU, Nebraska, Tennessee, Texas and USC among many others.

From BuzzFeed

I know its probably not the best source, but we sound like sort of an afterthought in this article.

Smh...I'm fixin' to get sick on this rollercoaster ?

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Stidham will not turn down a first round grade in the draft. He loves AU and it is definitely not a given that he turns pro after the season. However if all goes as expected it will be very hard for him to turn down if he thinks he will be a 1st round pick. 

2nd half of that dawgnation.com interview

The secrecy topic with Justin Fields

Justin Fields-UGA recruiting
Justin Fields rates as the No. 1 overall prospect in America, according to the 247Sports composite. (Jeff Sentell/SEC Country)

There has been a lot of information and misinformation about Fields. The narrative has followed a similar script this summer.

The 5-star QB takes a visit. The program “insiders” and message board chatter rises up that Latest Visit U. now has a choke-hold on Fields for the Class of 2018.

That same tune keeps coming up on shuffle play.

Where is that coming from?

Does Fields choose his words carefully among his fellow recruits? There’s a code there. Most know where their elite peers will eventually go. They keep a lid on those thoughts. That’s to respect that player’s wishes for when he wants his favored school to be known.

His decision is the most sought-after recruiting intel in America right now.

How does Fields police that?

“I would say it is kind of hard,” Fields said. “You kind of just have to select the people and have to know who to trust. And just to trust a select amount of people. You can’t tell everybody your business because eventually, it will get out. You have to build relationships with certain players and certain guys and just tell them. That’s because when you commit to a place you want them to come with you because they are good players.”

Fields told DawgNation he feels his decision could be the tipping point for as many as eight players to join him at the right program. If even half of those players follow him, that’s a substantial amount of pull.

“That’s kind of hard to keep all of that secret,” Fields said.

It still boggles my mind how his stock has soared since last May. That’s when the 5-star from Harrison High School finally received his first offer, that one from North Carolina.

The Justin Fields Q&A: What happened with Florida? 

Q. You said no teams are eliminated from your primary group. Is Florida, which just picked up a commit from 5-star QB Matt Corral, now out of it? 

A. No, not really. I am kind of just weighing my options. Florida has been doing great the past two years. So they are not totally out of the picture. You’re going to have to compete wherever you go. I’m not afraid to compete. Iron really sharpens iron. At the end of the day, Matt is a really great player, but if I feel if I do go there, we will just make each other better.

Justin Fields said he might need to take a good, long look at how the seasons for his primary options start out. (Jeff Sentell/SEC Country)

Q. Did you ever have a private conversation with Matt to share what one another was thinking? Do players do that? 

A. You mean like tell each other where we are going to go?

Q: Yeah. Matt seemed very pro-Georgia at The Opening, and then he abruptly commits to Florida on his first visit to Gainesville. What do you think happened? 

A. I kind of thought he wanted to commit to Georgia at The Opening and stuff. But players talk. So at Florida, we were at the camp and talking or whatever and he said he was going to commit to Florida. So I was kind of surprised by that. At first, we kind of didn’t really talk about it. But I think he kind of wanted to go to Georgia. His mind was set on Georgia, but I think after that Florida visit, he quickly started liking Florida a whole lot.

Covering the UGA topics with Justin Fields 

Q. How do you look at the chance to play your freshman year at Georgia? Is playing time a factor? 

A. “I guess I could be the second-string quarterback at Georgia next year, but that is still kind of iffy. That depends on how Jacob [Eason] does this year. I might be able to get some playing time next year. I guess I’m kind of looking at the season or looking into the season and what happens for Georgia there.”

Justin Fields said he’s really seen everything he needs to see from the schools he is strongly considering. (Jeff Sentell/ SEC Country)

Q. Has your opinion changed on redshirting or sitting a year?

A. “I think there is a study where most NFL quarterbacks come after a redshirt freshman year. So playing freshman year is not a big deal to me. Of course, I want to play kind of early but waiting one year out and learning the offense and just getting better and gaining that chemistry with my teammates will help me. That is not that big of a deal to me.”

Q. What’s left for you to see or learn about Georgia? 

A. Nothing really. I feel like I’ve seen everything at pretty much every school that I’m considering. I’ve really seen everything. Really what is left now is just how the season plays out. Just how the team is doing.

Q. Will a strong or a poor start by the Bulldogs matter to you? 

A. I’m not really looking at the wins and losses and how the team plays. My main thing is the quarterback position. That’s the position I play. So say if Jacob Eason gets hurt. Of course, now I don’t want him to get hurt. I don’t want that. He’s a great guy. A great guy. But for example, then in that situation maybe Jake Fromm goes in there and lights it up. Just tears it up. Well, for me then Georgia has kind of solidified their starter. I would have to take a good look at that. Now, I’m not afraid to compete. But I feel like if he has that experience then he would have that edge over me. But if Jacob Eason plays most of the whole season, then Jake Fromm doesn’t have that edge [in playing time] on me at all.

How will he whittle these schools down? 

Q. Do you judge these schools by the “pros”  that you compile or the “cons” that you find they might have for you? Which column weighs more on the ledger?

A. I kind of weigh both the pros and the cons. I write them down on a piece of paper. At the end of the day, you have to see what is the best fit for you and your family. I would say I don’t look just at the cons or the pros but just weigh both of those factors. My dad and I were talking about that yesterday. Just the pros and the cons of each school.

Five-star QB Justin Fields has cracked an occasional smile or three while blowing up the camp circuit this summer. (Jeff Sentell/SEC Country)

Q. What do you still need to see from Florida State? 

A. I would also say there is nothing there really left to see.

Q. What’s the biggest con for you with Georgia? 

A. I would say just them not having the experience playing a [dual-threat] quarterback like me.

Q. What is also the biggest con for you with Florida State? 

A. I would say just distance. It is not that far. Just distance. Nothing else aside from that really.

Q. I see a running theme here. You want to see how the guys at Auburn and Florida State and Georgia do this year. You also want to take some official visits. Does this mean you might need to take awhile to evaluate everything? Do you want to be clear so you don’t risk having to de-commit again?

A. I’m not de-committing again. After I commit, I’m not taking any more visits to any other schools. I’m not doing anything or any more of this. I am not communicating with any other colleges. Just to that school. That’s it. I don’t want my head spinning anymore. After I commit, it is over.

27 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Stidham will not turn down a first round grade in the draft. He loves AU and it is definitely not a given that he turns pro after the season. However if all goes as expected it will be very hard for him to turn down if he thinks he will be a 1st round pick. 

I hope that Gus will push a kid with a first round grade out the door if he ever has to. Doubt that will be a problem. Don't think we'll ever recreate what mid-00's LA was like for Matt Leinart. 

16 hours ago, roe4christ said:

Quick question.... If Jarrett plays one season and leaves

If he plays one season and leaves for the NFL, that will mean we will win a LOT of games this year. It also means that he will be playing very, very well (which I expect) and that Fields will be watching.

1 hour ago, sogaaufan said:

From BuzzFeed

I'd rate contributors to The Bleacher Report as Pulitzer Prize quality journalists compared to Buzz Feed.:laugh:

1 hour ago, austudnt23 said:

While I get what you are saying, that has been said about several other players who were juniors, not sophomores, and they came back for one reason or another, be it unfinished business, because they loved their team, or because they thought they had more to learn from their current staff.  If I were advising Stidham, I'd advise him to get 2 more years of college under his belt and and work toward graduating. After all, if he really is that good, his stock shouldn't drop after another year of coaching and experience in a system, and he'll be more prepared for the NFL and life if he doesn't rush into it.

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

Prime example of media manipulation.  They ask him "Are Georga and Florida State your two key recruiters?" and he replies, "They are, and I would say Auburn also." Thus the sportswriter, by how he setup the situation, is able to marginalize Auburn as a factor in his story, while Fields is thinking that all 3 or even Auburn and just one of the others are in equal competition.

Archived