Let's expose the excuses and face reality

oracle79

We're young.  We've had injuries. Blah, blah, blah.  Let's take a look year by year at Auburn's recruiting rankings and their final AP rankings. (Using 247 composite starting with the Big Chiz in 2009 because we know TT didn't recruit worth a crap but was never accused of not developing his players.)

2009 - Recruiting #23  Final AP rank #NR

2010 - Recruiting #6     Final AP rank #1 (BCS Champ)

2011 - Recruiting #5      Final AP rank #NR

2012 - Recruiting #11    Final AP rank #NR

2013 - Recruiting #10   Final AP rank #2 (BCS Choke Job)

2014 - Recruiting #6     Final AP rank #22

2015 - Recruiting #8     Final AP rank #NR

2016 - Recruiting #9     Final AP rank #24

2017 - Recruiting #9     Final AP rank #????

We've been in the top 25 EVERY year for the past 8 years and we've been ranked in the top 25 half of those years.

Has any team in the HISTORY of college football done less with more?  Seriously make that case (maybe Texas and maybe Notre Dame?)  What would explain this other than coaching incompetency?  Seriously curious about how you pumpers can spin this one.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To answer your question, yes, other teams have done less with the same or similar.  UGA and Southern Cal immediately spring to mind during the stretch you have listed.

Stop melting dude.  In that 8 year span you have here, we've won two SEC titles, one natty, and played for another.  Most teams would kill for that, including Notre Dame, Texas, UGA, and USC.

11 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Stop melting dude.  In that 8 year span you have here, we've won two SEC titles, one natty, and played for another.  Most teams would kill for that, including Notre Dame, Texas, UGA, and USC.

Which ones without Cam and Nick? Get real.

How many scholarships did USC lose over that time?  Georgia fired Richt for the same crap.  Texas is on their 3rd coach after losing to Bama in the MNC.  Nortre Dame has been a joke since Ara Parseghian and yes through Lou Holtz's #fakenationaltitle and Manti Te'o's #fakecatfish title game vs....wait for it...oh yeah, Bama again. (Thanks, you're showing me a trend here I hadn't noticed yet.)

1 minute ago, oracle79 said:

Which ones without Cam and Nick? Get real.

So wait, those don't count now?  I wasn't in Glendale or Pasadena for the those games?  Damn, the credit card company owes me a lot of cash then.  We should also tell that to the players who have rings.  I should probably sell my 2010 natty memorabilia too. :-\

Also, I love that you conveniently disregarded the first part of my post which cited examples showing just how asinine your position is on this. There's an old saying, "Better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."  Take it to heart. 

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Also, I love that you conveniently disregarded the first part of my post which cited examples showing just how asinine your position is on this.

I didn't disregard USC's probation which crippled them and Georgia's under performance which was similar to ours, but that they chose to send that underperforming coach packing which we haven't done yet.  Sorry you're related to GM and he will meet the same fate at the end of this season.  It's not personal, it's just about doing your job competently.;D

Just now, oracle79 said:

I didn't disregard USC's probation which crippled them and Georgia's under performance which was similar to ours, but that they chose to send that underperforming coach packing which we haven't done yet.  Sorry you're related to GM and he will meet the same fate at the end of this season.  It's not personal, it's just about doing your job competently.;D

You're a moron.  Look at my post history.  I don't stick up for Malzahn.  I consistently question his play calling and personnel decisions.  However, your entire premise for this thread was that based on recruiting rankings, who has done worse than us.  When shown examples based on your criteria, you have decided to change the subject.

Sadly, I think that Gus is either the 3rd or 2nd best coach in the SEC. It's obvious who number one is, and Mullen is either second or third. This season is far from over. We are fortunate to have mediocre teams coming up that could allow us to get in a groove. Be patient.

1 hour ago, caleb1633 said:

Sadly, I think that Gus is either the 3rd or 2nd best coach in the SEC. It's obvious who number one is, and Mullen is either second or third. This season is far from over. We are fortunate to have mediocre teams coming up that could allow us to get in a groove. Be patient.

This is the biggest issue right now . The SEC coaches really suck . The SEC West looks bad right now and the east isn't much better .

I unapologetically think things are not as bad as it seems. After seeing clemson easily dismantle Louisville, I have more confidence that we will improve as the season progresses. Without question our defense is top ten in the nation. Our offense will come around as soon as the oline gets right. Say what you will buy I still think we win 10 games this season. War Eagle 

46 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is the biggest issue right now . The SEC coaches really suck . The SEC West looks bad right now and the east isn't much better .

I don't think they get any better until Saban leaves. At least not if the carousel continues. Continuity is huge for a program. Half the teams in the SEC have newer coaches than Gus and none of those schools with newer coaches have a better winning percentage than him. I find it hard to believe the solution for us is to just get a new coach. It's not that simple.

Don't ya just love when people post opinions that we are supposed to take as facts then get butt hurt and poke their chest out when someone doesn't agree....smh

back to the original post there are numerous teams that constantly have high recruiting rankings and have done as much or less than we have. You can't base everything off of what some expert pegs an 18 year old kid with a number of stars

20 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

I don't think they get any better until Saban leaves. At least not if the carousel continues. Continuity is huge for a program. Half the teams in the SEC have newer coaches than Gus and none of those schools with newer coaches have a better winning percentage than him. I find it hard to believe the solution for us is to just get a new coach. It's not that simple.

Exactly, at this point unless you show me someone that it is clear as day will have better results you are taking a huge risk

22 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

True but I would consider CGM the third best coach in the sec and depending on what Derek Mason does with Vandy, Arguably fourth.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

True but I would consider CGM the third best coach in the sec and depending on what Derek Mason does with Vandy, Arguably fourth.

Who do you put ahead of him? Saban and who?

Just now, DAG said:

Maybe so, but I doubt either of those guys do a lateral move here, and as other have said, I wouldn't want to come play in the SEC if I was a top flight coach in another conference. I'd stay there and enjoy essentially a 3 game season and let the pawns in the SEC hopefully knock Saban out of the race so I wouldn't have to play him.

But see that such backwards thinking to me . Fans really think that a coach moving from vandy or Mississippi state to Auburn  is a lateral move . 

But I also don't agree with staying with a mediocre coach because you are afraid that there is no clear cut option . That is like staying with a s***ty gf because you don't think there is more fish in the sea. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

But see that such backwards thinking to me . Fans really think that a coach moving from vandy or Mississippi state to Auburn  is a lateral move . 

well the gap is closing

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

No it's not . Stop it.

The Miss St game will tell a lot as far as the current situation.

The difference between the play of Miss St/LSU and Auburn/Clemson was rather shocking

Just now, TigerOne said:

The Miss St game will tell a lot as far as the current situation.

The difference between the play of Miss St/LSU and Auburn/Clemson was rather shocking

Better coached team . I agree it will say a lot . Honestly , if our offense can't produce against Missouri than the writing will be on the wall.

Archived