Let's expose the excuses and face reality

oracle79

29 minutes ago, DAG said:

I can almost guarantee CGM would've ran the board with a transfer QB like Russel freaking Wilson at his disposal. 

Yep

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

That was one year.    And it shows that he can coach a variety of style of players.  People may not like the guy because of the stuff being said by him towards Gus when he got to the SEC, but to deny the man's overall resume compared to malzahn is laughable 

Now you really lose credibility. Every freaking coach under Alvarez coaches great under Wisconsin. You think BB was the reason for that? Wisconsin was winning after and before BB was there. Two coaches in and they are still winning. Wtf are you talking about?  BB coached in the Big Ten when it was weak as hell and horrible against tOSU. No national championship appearances. You serious right now? As much as I don't like CGM, I can legitimately say, he took our freaking team to the NC game. Not an easy thing to do. Period. I don't think BB ever could've taken us to an NC. I do think CGM could've gone to an NC with Wisconsin utilizing someone like RW.

5 hours ago, Mims44 said:

Pretty sure someone debunked this way of thinking last year.

Our average recruiting ranking in the SEC alone in the past decade is only like 4th. Bama UGA Florida LSU... one of those we were close to for 4th.

If we were in the sunbelt and getting those recruiting numbers then yes, we should be pissed anytime we don't win the conference. But in the SEC we aren't the big fish in recruiting, hell we're not even the 2nd or 3rd biggest fish in the SEC pond.

Look at Auburns attrition.  I saw somewhere a week or two ago where out of our 20 highest rated players, nearly 50% were lost to attrition in some form or another.  Transfers, kicked off team, etc.  

Those recruiting rankings mean very little after 3-4 years if half on them are gone.

56 minutes ago, keesler said:

Look at Auburns attrition.  I saw somewhere a week or two ago where out of our 20 highest rated players, nearly 50% were lost to attrition in some form or another.  Transfers, kicked off team, etc.  

Those recruiting rankings mean very little after 3-4 years if half on them are gone.

I wouldn't put too much stock into that article.  If they weren't good enough to start, they sat on the bench for a year and transferred due to their ego.  If they were booted for being bad people, than kudos to Gus.  I read an article on al.com today, of all websites, that Gus is one of the few coaches willing to boot talented/critical players for breaking the rules.  I applaud him on that.  I liked Chizik, but you could get away with anything under him.

53 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

You should have seen the PM.  Whew.

Nothing would surprise me. :no:

2 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Our fan base has been relegated to bipolar schizophrenia. ;)

Or lots of drinking.

19 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

To answer your question, yes, other teams have done less with the same or similar.  UGA and Southern Cal immediately spring to mind during the stretch you have listed.

Stop melting dude.  In that 8 year span you have here, we've won two SEC titles, one natty, and played for another.  Most teams would kill for that, including Notre Dame, Texas, UGA, and USC.

Why do you think those programs have gotten new coaches? ....................... Underachieving perhaps?

We had 2 really great seasons in 2010 and 2013 but outside of that it's been pretty pathetic and or mediocre. Chizik was only here 4 years and was let go after an abysmal 3-9 season in 2012.

Malzahn is now in his 5th year and is 4 years removed from his 1st season which was a "magical" year. And since then he's proven to be a flash in the pan. 8-5, 7-6, and 8-5. Right now with the way the offense is playing, 8-4 is very likely going to happen again, maybe even 7-5 if the defense has a bad game. 

Mark Richt's record at UGA was great against Auburn, Ga. Tech, and Tennessee. But at the end of the day Richt wasn't winning championships and hadn't won the SEC since 2005. When you consider how weak the SEC East has been since Urban Meyer left Florida, the fact that Richt wasn't able to slip up and at least win the SEC one time while coaches like Gene Chizik and Gus Malzahn were able to do it made people question Richt's ability to win big games.

Gus Malzahn is also starting to earn the reputation of not performing in big games. His 1st season he won some big games but since 2014 he's been on a slide and his record in big games has been supbar. 

Gus Malzahn record at Auburn vs ranked opponents 2013-2017: 11-14

If Auburn is ever going to get back to competing for championships, we're going to have to start beating ranked opponents more consistently. 

If Auburn was capable of winning championships in 2010 and 2013, why hasn't there more consistency from the program? Why haven't we capitalized off those great seasons? I don't think it's unrealistic to have high standards if the program has shown it's capable of winning championships. The problem has been just sustaining success and having back-to-back 9+ win seasons. We can't seem to do it. How long is it going to take to realize that Gus is not capable of sustaining that kind of success?

Look at Clemson, just think back 7 years ago in 2010 when we beat Clemson and think about where each program has gone since. Starting in 2011, Clemson has won 10+ games each season. Auburn would then go 8-5 in 2011 and 3-9 in 2012 and then we started over with Gus Malzahn in 2013.

The game against Clemson in 2017 was a snapshot of where each program is right now. Clemson and Auburn have flipped positions since 2010. Clemson was the mediocre program in 2010 while Auburn was early in the 2010 national championship season. Fast forward to 2017. Clemson is the defending national champs and have sustained a level of success and winning during that time while Auburn has been floundering in mediocrity. 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Now you really lose credibility. Every freaking coach under Alvarez coaches great under Wisconsin. You think BB was the reason for that? Wisconsin was winning after and before BB was there. Two coaches in and they are still winning. Wtf are you talking about?  BB coached in the Big Ten when it was weak as hell and horrible against tOSU. No national championship appearances. You serious right now? As much as I don't like CGM, I can legitimately say, he took our freaking team to the NC game. Not an easy thing to do. Period. I don't think BB ever could've taken us to an NC. I do think CGM could've gone to an NC with Wisconsin utilizing someone like RW.

If you call going 8-4 and 9-3 winning like BB , then I guess you are right.   He won two legitimate championship and back he was way into a third.   I don't care if the conference was down or not.   Yea Auburn was in the championship game in 2013 by winning two games on a prayer and then having another team lose their championship game.   Alabama missed four field goals in the kick six game, do you really think Gus out coached anyone in that game.   now I will agree he has done nothing at Arkansas but he is still better than Gus

46 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Why do you think those programs have gotten new coaches? ....................... Underachieving perhaps?

Only quoting this part because I don't want the post to take up the whole page.  But my response is to your whole comment.

Yes, those programs have gotten new coaches in that 8 year period.  So have we.  My point in that post you quoted was to refute the OP's assertion that no team in history had done less with more.  That's all.

Your other observations about AU are spot on.  I'm with you on wanting 9-10 wins per year and I'm the first one to call out that Gus is 20-17 in his last 37 and 11-17 against non-cupcake opponents in that time.  More than anything, I expect to contend for the West title every year.  Not necessarily win it every year, but at least contend for it so that November games matter.  I said that last week on this very website.

If Gus fails this year, get rid of him.  But, based on some progress with play-calling that I saw Saturday, I'm now curious to see what happens when the season plays out.  Just a hunch, but I think we look really good this week at Mizzou and the MSU game becomes a real "make or break" game for the first half of this season.

5 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Bama had too many athletes for them. They are well coached. 

I'm sorry, I should've clarified better. I was surprised at how Colorado State's athletes compared to Bama's For 1, 2 & 3 stars. They looked impressive. Physically and the way they played. Specifically their QB & skill players. Of course the OL was were the talent gap showed. This is hypothetical but if state would've had an equal d-line & o-line...their skill players were good enough to win the game. Bama's D (specific front 7) & o-line was just too much. Bobo has done a great job at CSU. Wouldn't be surprised to see him end up back in the SEC soon. 

7 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

I'm sorry, I should've clarified better. I was surprised at how Colorado State's athletes compared to Bama's For 1, 2 & 3 stars. They looked impressive. Physically and the way they played. Specifically their QB & skill players. Of course the OL was were the talent gap showed. This is hypothetical but if state would've had an equal d-line & o-line...their skill players were good enough to win the game. Bama's D (specific front 7) & o-line was just too much. Bobo has done a great job at CSU. Wouldn't be surprised to see him end up back in the SEC soon. 

Yeah, I saw that. Bama cam run out 4, or 5- 5 stars at running back, and the speed of theach two WR was just too much to handle. I'm was very impressed with C-State. One can tell a well coached football team if you're paying attention. Bobo will certainly be back in our neck of the woods soon I believe. Georgia's offense never seemed the same after he left.

8 hours ago, aubaseball said:

If you call going 8-4 and 9-3 winning like BB , then I guess you are right.   He won two legitimate championship and back he was way into a third.   I don't care if the conference was down or not.   Yea Auburn was in the championship game in 2013 by winning two games on a prayer and then having another team lose their championship game.   Alabama missed four field goals in the kick six game, do you really think Gus out coached anyone in that game.   now I will agree he has done nothing at Arkansas but he is still better than Gus

That's something a lot of people don't realize about that IB. Gus was not a big part of it, a lot of it was our players outplaying Sabans coaching.

8 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Yeah, I saw that. Bama cam run out 4, or 5- 5 stars at running back, and the speed of theach two WR was just too much to handle. I'm was very impressed with C-State. One can tell a well coached football team if you're paying attention. Bobo will certainly be back in our neck of the woods soon I believe. Georgia's offense never seemed the same after he left.

One thing about Bobo, he knew how to make adjustments. Being a Falcons fan and watching that offense, I wish we could have something that methodical and capable of exploiting whatever the defense is trying to do. I know that no team in the NCAA could ever be at that level, but something similar would be nice. I see Bama, Clemson, and Louisville do it. Instead we have the same ole gadgetry that teams adjust to after a quarter. If CL can do that, and Gus let's him (big IF), then we can contend. I think Gus would be a great coach if he just quit messing with offense. He's not an offensive guru like we thought.

20 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Your other observations about AU are spot on.  I'm with you on wanting 9-10 wins per year and I'm the first one to call out that Gus is 20-17 in his last 37 and 11-17 against non-cupcake opponents in that time.  More than anything, I expect to contend for the West title every year.  Not necessarily win it every year, but at least contend for it so that November games matter.  I said that last week on this very website.

If Gus fails this year, get rid of him.  But, based on some progress with play-calling that I saw Saturday, I'm now curious to see what happens when the season plays   out.  Just a hunch, but I think we look really good this week at Mizzou and the MSU game becomes a real "make or break" game for the first half of this season.

So you want 9-10 wins per year and you've also pointed out Malzahn's record against non-cupcake opponents in the last 37 games, which isn't good.

Then after all that, you say that based on the play-calling you saw against MERCER on Saturday, you're now curious to see how things play out?

Way to contradict yourself......

4 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Anyone else feeling better about the team or are we all still melting? 

I have no problems with the team or the defensive coaches.    I am in a perpetual melt concerning the others

8 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

We will not know until Miss State unless we wet the bed against Mizzou then all bets are off.....

wde

45 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

So you want 9-10 wins per year and you've also pointed out Malzahn's record against non-cupcake opponents in the last 37 games, which isn't good.

Then after all that, you say that based on the play-calling you saw against MERCER on Saturday, you're now curious to see how things play out?

Way to contradict yourself......

There's actually not a contradiction here. One has nothing to do with the other.  I also specifically said if Gus fails this year, feel free to fire him.

As for improvement, who we played doesn't matter.  We schedule teams like Mercer specifically to work on things and improve.  Sorry if I don't just look at the score and instead choose to actually watch the games for things like scheme adjustments and player development.

But, hypothetically, let's say we fire Gus today.  What does Auburn gain?  Did it help LSU last year?  I'd argue no because Coach O got hot and they were forced into a sub-standard hire.   Would it matter if we went 8-4 this year with Gus or without Gus?  It's still 8-4.  What happens though if, by some off chance, Chip calling plays turns this around and we go 10-2?  You still gonna be angry?  It would then be his second 10+ win season in five years, with a stacked team and talented QB returning next year.

There's plenty of time after the season to make a move if one is necessary.  Getting your scalp now vs getting one in November makes no difference as no hire would be made until after the season.  But I think you're scared that in November it may not be warranted.

On 9/18/2017 at 8:28 AM, ClaytonAU said:

You should have a to take a moron test before you become a member of this site. 

Oh no...my wife would tell you I'm the first one out. She thinks I'm one already just for getting involved with this site.

Actually I think Saban is good for the SEC. It forces us to improve and get better. Much like the Bear and Dye. Tubs was probably responsible for Saban being hired in the first place. 6 game winning streak. I remember Bear and his 9 game winning streak, man was I glad when we hired Dye and HE did keep his promise to take "60 minutes" to beat Bama.

57 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Very concerned with our oline play. 

Actually going 8-5 or 8-4 each year is not that hard. We generally have 4 cupcake wins each year and then win 45%-50% of the rest. Just doesn't sit well.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

There's actually not a contradiction here. One has nothing to do with the other.  I also specifically said if Gus fails this year, feel free to fire him.

As for improvement, who we played doesn't matter.  We schedule teams like Mercer specifically to work on things and improve.  Sorry if I don't just look at the score and instead choose to actually watch the games for things like scheme adjustments and player development.

But, hypothetically, let's say we fire Gus today.  What does Auburn gain?  Did it help LSU last year?  I'd argue no because Coach O got hot and they were forced into a sub-standard hire.   Would it matter if we went 8-4 this year with Gus or without Gus?  It's still 8-4.  What happens though if, by some off chance, Chip calling plays turns this around and we go 10-2?  You still gonna be angry?  It would then be his second 10+ win season in five years, with a stacked team and talented QB returning next year.

There's plenty of time after the season to make a move if one is necessary.  Getting your scalp now vs getting one in November makes no difference as no hire would be made until after the season.  But I think you're scared that in November it may not be warranted.

Not scared at all. It's looking more and more inevitable we're going to be looking for new HC at the end of season. Unless the offense performs MUCH better, 8-4 is likely the best we're going to do. And I'm sure there will still be several who still want to keep Gus even if we're 8-4 again. 

Mercer is an FCS team and our performance was still underwhelming.. There are still some glaring flaws with the offense. Stidham won't have as much time to throw against non-cupcakes like he did against Mercer. The receivers and the O-line are still issues. The O-line couldn't overpower Mercer's D-line.  

I have a hunch we're not going to blow Missouri out like many people on here believe. I think Auburn will still win but it's going to be closer than people think. Our offense has shown no indication that they're going to blow out any major power 5 team. Even last year when our offense sputtered against Clemson, we turned around and blew out Arkansas State the next week. Our offense didn't look this sloppy against "cupcakes" last season.

Archived