Let's expose the excuses and face reality

oracle79

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Better coached team . I agree it will say a lot . Honestly , if our offense can't produce against Missouri than the writing will be on the wall.

Auburn SHOULD be an angry focused team going to Missouri and beyond. AU should win by three TD's.

If its a one score game going into the 4th people will be seething mad.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, DAG said:

But I also don't agree with staying with a mediocre coach because you are afraid that there is no clear cut option . That is like staying with a s***ty gf because you don't think there is more fish in the sea. 

Idk you can't be a single football program like you can be a single dude. There's no tinder for college athletics.

7 hours ago, oracle79 said:

We're young.  We've had injuries. Blah, blah, blah.  Let's take a look year by year at Auburn's recruiting rankings and their final AP rankings. (Using 247 composite starting with the Big Chiz in 2009 because we know TT didn't recruit worth a crap but was never accused of not developing his players.)

2009 - Recruiting #23  Final AP rank #NR

2010 - Recruiting #6     Final AP rank #1 (BCS Champ)

2011 - Recruiting #5      Final AP rank #NR

2012 - Recruiting #11    Final AP rank #NR

2013 - Recruiting #10   Final AP rank #2 (BCS Choke Job)

2014 - Recruiting #6     Final AP rank #22

2015 - Recruiting #8     Final AP rank #NR

2016 - Recruiting #9     Final AP rank #24

2017 - Recruiting #9     Final AP rank #????

We've been in the top 25 EVERY year for the past 8 years and we've been ranked in the top 25 half of those years.

Has any team in the HISTORY of college football done less with more?  Seriously make that case (maybe Texas and maybe Notre Dame?)  What would explain this other than coaching incompetency?  Seriously curious about how you pumpers can spin this one.

All 100% true and I share your disappointment in our coaching staff.  I feel it is fair to point out we are still out-recruited by 3 or 4 SEC teams that we have to play every year.  Georgia, Turds, LSU, and some seasons, A&M and Ole Sis.

Life is tough in the SEC if one is not recruiting in the Top 5 to 7 every year!

8 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

Idk you can't be a single football program like you can be a single dude. There's no tinder for college athletics.

Umm yes there is . Tinder is swipe right or left if you are interested or not . Guess what? The other person has to also be interested for to be a match. After that , it's up to you to seel the deal. Likewise AU can swipe left or right , but at the end of the day the other party has to be interested then it's up to auburn to seal the deal. Pretty practical. 

IMO - the early success that Chiz and Gus had at Auburn was and will ultimately be their down fall. When you win the SEC and play in the NC game in your first and second years, that standard is set. Having Saban consistently complet this task proves it can be doneand above mentioned coaches fall backwards into mediocrity seals your fate. When you show consisten top 15 recruiting (as shown above), above average facilities, above average fan base support, Athetic Department support and autonomy to choose coaching staff, there is no one else to blame for results on the field. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Umm yes there is . Tinder is swipe right or left if you are interested or not . Guess what? The other person has to also be interested for to be a match. After that , it's up to you to seel the deal. Likewise AU can swipe left or right , but at the end of the day the other party has to be interested then it's up to auburn to seal the deal. Pretty practical. 

But then it's just a hook-up, and most classy college coaches are always gonna say in their bio, "If you're here for a hook-up, swipe left!"

4 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

But then it's just a hook-up, and most classy college coaches are always gonna say in their bio, "If you're here for a hook-up, swipe left!"

Hate to tell you this but most athletic jobs are hook ups . Very rarely will you find a lifer .For instance , if CGM actually succeeded at AU, I very much doubt he would've stayed at AU. Chances are he would've tried his hand in the NFL because he is ambitious like that , which is how most coaches are . 

Just now, DAG said:

Hate to tell you this but most athletic jobs are hook ups . Very rarely will you find a lifer .

I feel like you're taking this conversation about tinder way more seriously than I am hahaha

1 minute ago, caleb1633 said:

I feel like you're taking this conversation about tinder way more seriously than I am hahaha

Not really. I am just showing you its way more practical than most of y'all make it out to be. 

Just now, DAG said:

Not really. I am just showing you its way more practical than most of y'all make it out to be. 

We should suggest it to JJ

Twice we hired learning-on-the-job head coaches who immediately put together staffs largely composed of used car salesmen rather than coaches known for development. Our recruiting went way up. Our preparation and fundamentals went way down. Then came the continual "suggestions or else" from...somewhere and we go on the coordinator merry-go-round. It seems to me right now we have the mentality of bringing in coaches that will "do things our (insert PTB) way". We need to find the best we can get, let them hire their coaches and run their program and be accountable accordingly. The problem starts above Malzahn. 

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

If you could wish another programs success for AU(besides bama), which program would you choose?

Clemson for me.  Maybe FSU or Ohio State after that.

wde

Just now, AUIH1 said:

Clemson for me.  Maybe FSU or Ohio State after that.

wde

Now put those teams in the sec west, would they be as successful? They might be, but I would give them all 1-3 losses each year.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

If you could wish another programs success for AU(besides bama), which program would you choose?

That's easy. Currently Clemson, pretty consistent since Dabo took over. He has actually turned Clemson into what Malzahn should have done with Auburn. If he were competent. I guess if I had to pick another it might be OK State, or Penn State. Both Gundy, and Franklin have those programs going in the right direction. I realize Franklin has only been there a short time. Gundy has become pretty consistent at OK State, a program with very little history of success. 

Has another program followed a Natty with 2 unranked seasons?  I am not sure I have ever seen a team waste a National Championship and the opportunity.to establish your program as a perennial contender.the way Chizik did.  Drove it right in the ditch.    

6 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

That's easy. Currently Clemson, pretty consistent since Dabo took over. He has actually turned Clemson into what Malzahn should have done with Auburn. If he were competent. I guess if I had to pick another it might be OK State, or Penn State. Both Gundy, and Franklin have those programs going in the right direction. I realize Franklin has only been there a short time. Gundy has become pretty consistent at OK State, a program with very little history of success. 

Fair choices, but again if they played in the SECw, they would all have between 1-3 losses a year...IMO.

I agree about dabo/Clemson being what Gus/Auburn should be as far as stability in the program

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Now put those teams in the sec west, would they be as successful? They might be, but I would give them all 1-3 losses each year.

Oh, I agree with that. I am one of Gus' biggest critics, and I can tell you I do not expect him to contend for a natty every year, or to win 10-11 games. What I do expect is a team that looks like they have a clue who is the starting QB should be against a team like Clemson in 2016. I expect a team that can make a damn first down in an entire half of football against the worst GA team in 25 years. I expect a team that doesn't struggle against the likes of GA Southern, and Mercer. I expect a team that can gain more than 17 yards in a half of football against Clemson in 2017. I don't care how many sunshine pumpers call them the greatest defense in the history of football. Colorado State put up almost 400 yards of offense this past week against Alabama, a team they didn't have any business being on the same field with. 

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

True they would not simply because bama is in the SEC West.  Assuming bama would be the 1 loss most years, I don't see anyone in the West that would automatically add another loss or two to any of those teams every year as those programs are currently constructed compared to the current state of the SEC West sans bama.

wde  

6 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

True they would not simply because bama is in the SEC West.  Assuming bama would be the 1 loss most years, I don't see anyone in the West that would automatically add another loss or two to any of those teams every year as those programs are currently constructed compared to the current state of the SEC West sans bama.

wde  

I'm not saying every year, but that is what happens. Tamu, OM, MSU, AU, LSU, ARK are all gonna snipe at least 1 game year from someone they shouldn't.

Look, I'm as frustrated as most at the lack of preparedness, the poor player utilization, and inability to adjust both yearly as well as in-game. To me, there should be zero excuses for those 3 things. However, there are things that mitigate poor records like injuries and youth.

9 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Which ones without Cam and Nick? Get real.

Every national title team has one or two "IT guys."  Watson for Clemson, Winston for FSU, Ingram/McCarron/Henry for Alabama.  So we can't discount our titles because we had an IT guy. I would also throw in Fairley for us as well, and Dee Ford.  

Archived