Let's expose the excuses and face reality

oracle79

7 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Not scared at all. It's looking more and more inevitable we're going to be looking for new HC at the end of season. Unless the offense performs MUCH better, 8-4 is likely the best we're going to do. And I'm sure there will still be several who still want to keep Gus even if we're 8-4 again. 

Mercer is an FCS team and our performance was still underwhelming.. There are still some glaring flaws with the offense. Stidham won't have as much time to throw against non-cupcakes like he did against Mercer. The receivers and the O-line are still issues. The O-line couldn't overpower Mercer's D-line.  

I have a hunch we're not going to blow Missouri out like many people on here believe. I think Auburn will still win but it's going to be closer than people think. Our offense has shown no indication that they're going to blow out any major power 5 team. Even last year when our offense sputtered against Clemson, we turned around and blew out Arkansas State the next week. Our offense didn't look this sloppy against "cupcakes" last season.

We turned the ball over inside Mercer's 30 three times. Sloppy yes. But that's either 12 points or 21 points if we don't have a TO. 36-10 or 45-10. A little better of a score no? 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

We turned the ball over inside Mercer's 30 three times. Sloppy yes. But that's either 12 points or 21 points if we don't have a TO. 36-10 or 45-10. A little better of a score no? 

Not to mentioned what would have been 550-600 yards of offense.  We still had 500 with the 5 TOs.  I've said it already but it won't take a ton of improvement for us to looks fantastic this weekend.

I do agree with him about concerns with the o-line.  That's an absolutely fair assessment based on last week's game.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Not to mentioned what would have been 550-600 yards of offense.  We still had 500 with the 5 TOs.  I've said it already but it won't take a ton of improvement for us to looks fantastic this weekend.

I do agree with him about concerns with the o-line.  That's an absolutely fair assessment based on last week's game.

Agree on the OL. The OL shouldn't be as bad as it is. Herb is gonna be earning his paycheck the next couple weeks. 

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Salty gives you his word.....it helps :beer2:

I can also agree that it helps. You just need to find your mix first. Don't drink your angry alcohol watching the games unless you want to be working in the yard to calm down.

17 minutes ago, Scottie said:

I can also agree that it helps. You just need to find your mix first. Don't drink your angry alcohol watching the games unless you want to be working in the yard to calm down.

Know exactly what you are saying Scot. Said in another thread that I did a ton of yard work the 2nd half of all 2012 games. Yard of the month in Sept., Oct., Nov. My home was within walking distance of JHS. Lot of angry people leaving the game early stopped for a beer and watched me work to calm down.

On 9/18/2017 at 7:39 AM, DAG said:

Hate to tell you this but most athletic jobs are hook ups . Very rarely will you find a lifer .For instance , if CGM actually succeeded at AU, I very much doubt he would've stayed at AU. Chances are he would've tried his hand in the NFL because he is ambitious like that , which is how most coaches are . 

I  had heard the reason he signed Pro Stye QB's out of high  school in his first three recruiting classes was  to prove his system would work in the NFL.

52 minutes ago, Scottie said:

Mix?  A good Southern man drinks his bourbon neat my friend.

The oline is the most concerning to me. We have never been good pass protection but the run game is ugly so far. I wonder if this could be lack of physical practices?  Seems like this was a sticking point when Gus was negotiating to hire Muschamp. I still think our problems get corrected and we have a good year. Few coaches start the season with the same momentum they have five or six games in. It's always been that way for auburn. 

16 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

I  had heard the reason he signed Pro Stye QB's out of high  school in his first three recruiting classes was  to prove his system would work in the NFL.

I seriously doubt this. If he intentionally signed pro style qbs for any reason other than he thought they were best available it's to show he doesn't need dual threats to win. But I digress, if I'm in his shoes I'm not even talking to non- dual threats. I don't care if they are all 3 stars. 

Just now, alexava said:

I seriously doubt this. If he intentionally signed pro style qbs for any reason other than he thought they were best available it's to show he doesn't need dual threats to win. But I digress, if I'm in his shoes I'm not even talking to non- dual threats. I don't care if they are all 3 stars. 

I think your answer is just as logical. 

To be fair we recruited the Watsons and Francois' of the world we just couldn't convince them to come to AU.

And then of course there's the WarBlogle effect.......

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Mix?  A good Southern man drinks his bourbon neat my friend.

Blanton's Single Barrel anyone?

On 9/17/2017 at 11:30 PM, oracle79 said:

We're young.  We've had injuries. Blah, blah, blah.  Let's take a look year by year at Auburn's recruiting rankings and their final AP rankings. (Using 247 composite starting with the Big Chiz in 2009 because we know TT didn't recruit worth a crap but was never accused of not developing his players.)

2009 - Recruiting #23  Final AP rank #NR

2010 - Recruiting #6     Final AP rank #1 (BCS Champ)

2011 - Recruiting #5      Final AP rank #NR

2012 - Recruiting #11    Final AP rank #NR

2013 - Recruiting #10   Final AP rank #2 (BCS Choke Job)

2014 - Recruiting #6     Final AP rank #22

2015 - Recruiting #8     Final AP rank #NR

2016 - Recruiting #9     Final AP rank #24

2017 - Recruiting #9     Final AP rank #????

We've been in the top 25 EVERY year for the past 8 years and we've been ranked in the top 25 half of those years.

Has any team in the HISTORY of college football done less with more?  Seriously make that case (maybe Texas and maybe Notre Dame?)  What would explain this other than coaching incompetency?  Seriously curious about how you pumpers can spin this one.

No argument we me. 

Archived