FINAL: Auburn 44 Ole Miss 23

RunInRed

Not coincidentally, perhaps, today Ole Miss posted a job announcement for Head Coach of the football team. I'll put the details in Rivals.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering we’re playing our 7th week in a row in Death Valley and our 8th week in a row in the slop house. I don’t personally care that we phoned it in with a 35-3 lead.

Rest that O-line and that defense, baby!

6 minutes ago, slipadeedoodah said:

Considering we’re playing our 7th week in a row in Death Valley and our 8th week in a row in the slop house. I don’t personally care that we phoned it in with a 35-3 lead.

Rest that O-line and that defense, baby!

I might agree if our 2nd string on O had started the 2nd half.  But our 1st string O played into the 4th quarter.

wde

Can someone with higher than Jr High coaching experience please explain to me what advantage a team has running the wildcat, other than setting up a trick play for future opponents. I just don't get it.

11 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

I might agree if our 2nd string on O had started the 2nd half.  But our 1st string O played into the 4th quarter.

wde

I could have swore I saw a steady mix of starters/non-starters throughout the 2nd half. 

6 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

I could have swore I saw a steady mix of starters/non-starters throughout the 2nd half. 

You swore wrong. Do you think that any sane head coach would let their QB take snaps behind 2nd and 3rd string players and risk injury? 

4 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

You swore wrong. Do you think that any sane head coach would let their QB take snaps behind 2nd and 3rd string players and risking injury? 

Be careful, Gus played an obviously injured SW in 2015 and 2016 as well as an obviously injured Pettway against Mercer (ran him for 34 carries against a HS team). Gus' sanity when it terms to coaching decisions is in question.

wde

4 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

You swore wrong. Do you think that any sane head coach would let their QB take snaps behind 2nd and 3rd string players and risk injury? 

But we're talking about our coach. ?

1 minute ago, murpjf88 said:

You swore wrong. Do you think that any sane head coach would let their QB take snaps behind 2nd and 3rd string players and risking injury? 

Perhaps I should supply the stat sheet? :dunno:

Is this the same Ole Miss team that could only mustard 3 points against Alabama? damn. But again, we saw Gus take his foot off the in the 2nd half after being ahead 35-3 at halftime. We score 3 FG's and OM scores 3 touchdowns and a FG in the 2nd half.

1st half: Auburn 35 Ole Miss 3
2nd half: Ole Miss 20 Auburn 9

4 minutes ago, alexava said:

Mustard?

Add Jack Daniels and you have something. ;)

2 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Is this the same Ole Miss team that could only mustard 3 points against Alabama? damn. But again, we saw Gus take his foot off the in the 2nd half after being ahead 35-3 at halftime. We score 3 FG's and OM scores 3 touchdowns and a FG in the 2nd half.

First, it's trivial but Ole Miss did not score a field goal in the second half, check your math. Second, it's muster, not mustard and last, every team gets up for every game every week and sometimes it's sustained throughout the game and sometimes it's not. The only time to compare Auburn to Alabama is during the Iron Bowl. Every other week it's meaningless. They are a juggernaut. It would be nice to have won 60-0 but good grief, Auburn won 44-23. If the defense is going to have a let down then at least it was a game that we still won comfortably. Maybe the players lost some focus. Nah, just blame the coach for everything. It's seems like it's not enough for Auburn to win, now some people don't like how they win. If we're (me included) going to demand Gus wins 10 games minimum then freaking let him do it and quit complaining about how he went about it. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Take a look at the participation list for AU.....what regressed in the 2nd half was the talent of the guys on the field....a  good chance for them to play against a top QB....with some good WRs.....but I don't think many of them will be out there in a close game. 

Isn't the regression also attributable to an obvious change in playcalling? Some misses on both sides were made by non-backups as well. I LOVE Auburn, love the team, proud of the win, but one would have to be blind not to be bothered by the variables in 2nd compared to 1st that were non-backup related.  Just want it fixed. "Good enough to win" will not against a four-quarter team...and since we don't wear the headsets, we can only surmise what's going on based upon what we can see...when we're brave enough to watch. #fieldgoalsfortouchdowns?

The only reason everyone is up in arms over our 3 TD victory is because Bama beat them by 60. 

Having an Inferiority complex at this point is pointless though. If we beat Ole Miss by 70 and still lose to Bama then who cares?

42 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

So, would you say in the second half Ole Miss was trying to ketchup?

39 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Your post may be met with a chili reception. Sure, they only mustard 3 points. But don't relish in that stat. They got behind and were playing ketchup all game. They mayo may not have given up by the 2nd quarter in that game. 

7 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Isn't the regression also attributable to an obvious change in playcalling? Some misses on both sides were made by non-backups as well. I LOVE Auburn, love the team, proud of the win, but one would have to be blind not to be bothered by the variables in 2nd compared to 1st that were non-backup related.  Just want it fixed. "Good enough to win" will not against a four-quarter team...and since we don't wear the headsets, we can only surmise what's going on based upon what we can see...when we're brave enough to watch. #fieldgoalsfortouchdowns?

Guess it's a matter of perspective.....lI took a look at the PBP and the ball was run just about the entire 4th quarter which was good enough to win....which is the object of this game. 

JMO but it was a matter of playing the odds.  Safe plays, let young guys get some time of the field, run out the clock and nail down the win.  That has nothing to do with the next game or how we play it when it's still in a competitive situation.  War Eagle....

2 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

Your post may be met with a chili reception. Sure, they only mustard 3 points. But don't relish in that stat. They got behind and were playing ketchup all game. They mayo may not have given up by the 2nd quarter in that game. 

They were really in a pickle being down that much at the half. Lettuce consider that Auburn probably did let up a bit in the second half. 

Lsu game just got tougher next week. I really think if they lost this one they would of quit on coach O now the opposite will happen. They will be fired up.

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Guess it's a matter of perspective.....lI took a look at the PBP and the ball was run just about the entire 4th quarter which was good enough to win....which is the object of this game. 

JMO but it was a matter of playing the odds.  Safe plays, let young guys get some time of the field, run out the clock and nail down the win.  That has nothing to do with the next game or how we play it when it's still in a competitive situation.  War Eagle....

See, I'm not sure. I hope to get some answers in a new post regarding how to build intensity training/staying power into the DNA of a program. I do think the games have a lot to do with each other where mojo and swag are concerned. Staying tuned...

was ole miss  WR's really good today or was our backfield out of place and/or half a step behind them most of the game.   Ole miss was certainly their own worst enemy  with dropped passes  when wide open or having the coverage beat.   

Archived