next Head Coach

Eagle-1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The way it's looking, beating MSU was a big win.

Big win? Wouldn’t say that it is the best win for us so far which isn’t impressive. 

55 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I'm with you Miley. I'm as frustrated as the next guy, but we're 6-2 and 4-1, not 2-6 and 1-4. A one score loss to Clemson and LSU aren't exactly humiliations. 

The way we are losing is humiliating. That is the gist of it. 17 1st down runs in the second half. Complete meltdown mode against LSU. Giving up 10 plus sacks to Clemson, 117 yards of total offense with only 13 yards rushing on the ground. Three QB shuffle the previous year. Yes, it is humiliating to lose in such fashion. Losing a game like Penn State lost to tOSU is not humiliating. Losing games in the fashion we have lost to common foes the past two years is. Incompetent strategies that have made CGM a running joke nationally, unfortunately. The good news is this team is talented enough to cover some of the woes from the inept coaching being displayed at times and the media gives us the benefit of a doubt 9/10 because of so.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

The way we are losing is humiliating. That is the gist of it. 17 1st down runs in the second half. Complete meltdown mode against LSU. Giving up 10 plus sacks to Clemson, 117 yards of total offense with only 13 yards rushing on the ground. Three QB shuffle the previous year. Yes, it is humiliating to lose in such fashion. Losing a game like Penn State lost to tOSU is not humiliating. Losing games in the fashion we have lost to common foes the past two years is. Incompetent strategies that have made CGM a running joke nationally, unfortunately. The good news is this team is talented enough to cover some of the woes from the inept coaching being displayed at times and the media gives us the benefit of a doubt 9/10 because of so.

^This. If we lose a game but had good coaching and fight from our players but got beat by a more talented team I can handle it. The problem is that our playcalling is so schizophrenic I’m tempted to call a shrink. The problem that has been and always will be as long as gus is here is that he is more relaxed in low pressure games and craps the bed when we play a team with a pulse. 

7 hours ago, DAG said:

You say this, but then you pull the strawman argument a second ago claiming someone was implying something that was completely untrue. I like our conversations and generally like your content, but don't be like these other guys who when they have no appropriate retort, they pull the "it is not a big deal to me" card. I don't think anyone is exploding over anything because there is a general disagreement. Truly, if you didn't care like you say you do, you wouldn't be on an online football forum at this time of night. Yet, here we all are.

I care DAG. Deeply. I don't know a single AU fan who is happy with 8-5 seasons. I just try to keep in mind, that there's not a lot I can do about it as a fan. I hope I never let it drive me to a message board to call people names and make snide comments about other Auburn people. If Gus goes 7-5 or 8-4 he's likely done.  A lot of my posts reflect that sentiment. And I'm okay with that. Firing is the easy part. Now, who are you going to hire that delivers the wins and consistency to make you happy?  That's the hard part. Just a few weeks ago, it appeared Fisher or Petrino were the answer for many on here. I wonder if they still feel the same just a few weeks later. People are furious about the way we lost to LSU and Clemson. Ridiculous play calling. But we were livid about the way Chizik lost a bunch of games. No defense. Florida is about to fire McElwain because of no offense at all.  Sumlins going to be fired for perennial 8-5. Arky can't win meaningful SEC games at all and want Bielema gone, and Ole Miss is going to hire a stop gap coach to manage probation. While we can't let go of the LSU loss, LSU can't let go of a 37-7 loss to MSU who we curb stomped. Many of them want Coach O gone. Tennessee and Mizzou will likely fire their guy too. And that's just in the SEC. it's chaos and makes it hard to enjoy the sport. Everyone is on the Kirby Smart bandwagon right now, forgetting that Muschamp was 11-2 at UF, two seasons before he was 4-8 and fired after losing to GaSo. 

All that said, all of the above mentioned crap leads to a ton of frustration and anger by most fanbases. I choose to participate in the frustration and forego the anger. If Gus closes poorly and we fire him, I will support that and hope we land the next Saban or Meyer and not the next Chizik or Fedora (another dreamy coaching candidate a couple of years ago). The latter is mathematically more possible. My real hope is that we close strong and finish with a great bowl and a 10 win season. 

Thanks for your dialogue and War Eagle ?!

18 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I care DAG. Deeply. I don't know a single AU fan who is happy with 8-5 seasons. I just try to keep in mind, that there's not a lot I can do about it as a fan. I hope I never let it drive me to a message board to call people names and make snide comments about other Auburn people. If Gus goes 7-5 or 8-4 he's likely done.  A lot of my posts reflect that sentiment. And I'm okay with that. Firing is the easy part. Now, who are you going to hire that delivers the wins and consistency to make you happy?  That's the hard part. Just a few weeks ago, it appeared Fisher or Petrino were the answer for many on here. I wonder if they still feel the same just a few weeks later. People are furious about the way we lost to LSU and Clemson. Ridiculous play calling. But we were livid about the way Chizik lost a bunch of games. No defense. Florida is about to fire McElwain because of no offense at all.  Sumlins going to be fired for perennial 8-5. Arky can't win meaningful SEC games at all and want Bielema gone, and Ole Miss is going to hire a stop gap coach to manage probation. While we can't let go of the LSU loss, LSU can't let go of a 37-7 loss to MSU who we curb stomped. Many of them want Coach O gone. Tennessee and Mizzou will likely fire their guy too. And that's just in the SEC. it's chaos and makes it hard to enjoy the sport. Everyone is on the Kirby Smart bandwagon right now, forgetting that Muschamp was 11-2 at UF, two seasons before he was 4-8 and fired after losing to GaSo. 

All that said, all of the above mentioned crap leads to a ton of frustration and anger by most fanbases. I choose to participate in the frustration and forego the anger. If Gus closes poorly and we fire him, I will support that and hope we land the next Saban or Meyer and not the next Chizik or Fedora (another dreamy coaching candidate a couple of years ago). The latter is mathematically more possible. My real hope is that we close strong and finish with a great bowl and a 10 win season. 

Thanks for your dialogue and War Eagle ?!

co-signed...

Speaking of the "dreamy coaching candidate" - are we in for another one?  Here is my concern, our recently new University President is from Iowa State.  Looks like he may be wanting a new AD (which would please many on this board).  Does he go to someone he knows and is familiar with, i.e., the AD at Iowa State?  And then do they pull the current "dreamy coach" Matt Campbell from ISU?

I say this because yesterday ESPN had a special piece on ISU and the coach and talking about his success their (beating OU earlier) and now they knock off TCU yesterday as well.  Suddenly, he is the up and coming coach.  I don't know enough about him or his background (44-26 overall, 35-15 as Toledo HC) to judge if he could be a good coach in the SEC, but if there are ties there, they could move to AU.

Not advocating for or against, just putting a thought out there for discussion....

4 minutes ago, GBAU83 said:

Speaking of the "dreamy coaching candidate" - are we in for another one?  Here is my concern, our recently new University President is from Iowa State.  Looks like he may be wanting a new AD (which would please many on this board).  Does he go to someone he knows and is familiar with, i.e., the AD at Iowa State?  And then do they pull the current "dreamy coach" Matt Campbell from ISU?

I say this because yesterday ESPN had a special piece on ISU and the coach and talking about his success their (beating OU earlier) and now they knock off TCU yesterday as well.  Suddenly, he is the up and coming coach.  I don't know enough about him or his background (44-26 overall, 35-15 as Toledo HC) to judge if he could be a good coach in the SEC, but if there are ties there, they could move to AU.

Not advocating for or against, just putting a thought out there for discussion....

He has a very solid resume to date. According to Phillip Marshall he also has a huge buyout number. 

9 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I'm with you Miley. I'm as frustrated as the next guy, but we're 6-2 and 4-1, not 2-6 and 1-4. A one score loss to Clemson and LSU aren't exactly humiliations. 

The manner in which we lost to Clemson(x2) and Lsu was indeed humiliating; The whirleybird, 117, 20-0.  Losses are explainable those 3 had everyone at a loss of words.

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The manner in which we lost to Clemson(x2) and Lsu was indeed humiliating; The whirleybird, 117, 20-0.  Losses are explainable those 3 had everyone at a loss of words.

I understand. It's a context thing for me. I was venting our LSU loss with my Tennessee fan neighbor and his perspective was at least we could score touchdowns. A Penn State fan told me last night if they had our defense they would've won against the Buckeyes. But I get your point. 

5 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I understand. It's a context thing for me. I was venting our LSU loss with my Tennessee fan neighbor and his perspective was at least we could score touchdowns. A Penn State fan told me last night if they had our defense they would've won against the Buckeyes. But I get your point. 

You're right, but my frustration is we have all those parts. Everything we need to be successful is here and ready. We just seem to wet the bed at the most inopportune moments.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

You're right, but my frustration is we have all those parts. Everything we need to be successful is here and ready. We just seem to wet the bed at the most inopportune moments.

This man speaks truth.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

We agree completely on that. We are about to learn a ton about Dr Leath's decision making skills. I hope he is great at that. 

Just to be more clear, the offense can be humiliatingly excruciating, but the loss not be humiliating. We still played toe to toe with Clemson no matter how bad our offense played. It might’ve felt humiliating but it really wasn’t.

Also to make myself clear, playing step for step with defending champions isn’t the standard, I’m just defending against the notion that we were humiliated against Clemson. 

To double down on making my message crystal clear, the only time when I think the games are humiliating is (a) when we lay down to our opponent, (b) when we lose or play down to teams that had no business being in the game (JSU), (c) when our opponent is playing so superior, that they can toy with our team ( this is rare but we saw glimpses of this with Mayfield taunting our DL.)

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

We agree completely on that. We are about to,learn a ton about Dr Leath's decision making skills. I hope he is great at that. 

To me, Leath is in a win/win position. Almost all the alumni/fans want JJ gone and anyone he brings in will be more experienced and be a better administrator.

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Just to be more clear, the offense can be humiliatingly excruciating, but the loss not be humiliating.

I agree. If we go out prepared, play hard, don't quit, and lose 84-0, then I would feel less humiliated than we did against Clemson(x2) and this years LSU loss...but not a whole lot better.

38 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Just to be more clear, the offense can be humiliatingly excruciating, but the loss not be humiliating. We still played toe to toe with Clemson no matter how bad our offense played. It might’ve felt humiliating but it really wasn’t.

Also to make myself clear, playing step for step with defending champions isn’t the standard, I’m just defending against the notion that we were humiliated against Clemson. 

To double down on making my message crystal clear, the only time when I think the games are humiliating is (a) when we lay down to our opponent, (b) when we lose or play down to teams that had no business being in the game (JSU), (c) when our opponent is playing so superior, that they can toy with our team ( this is rare but we saw glimpses of this with Mayfield taunting our DL.)

I think when we’ve reached a point where we are debating the definition of a humiliating loss then that tells us all we need to know.

43 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I think when we’ve reached a point where we are debating the definition of a humiliating loss then that tells us all we need to know.

Ok. THis year our losses are simply frustrating, not humiliating.

If our offense could find any firepower after halftime in the Clemson and LSU games, we could be undefeated. 

Again it's frustrating, when your HC, who was brought in because of his offensive ability, loses games, because our offensive scheme stunk (Last years Clemson game, and second half of LSU), or his in game play calling cost us a win (CLemson this year, second half LSU...and I'm sure I could go back 2-4 year while he was here). 

I just want a HC that can change, and become better, which shows on the field. We will see in the TaM, GA, and Alabama games if he can make the smart offensive calls to win these games). If not, he simply can't overcome his weaknesses as a HC, and certainly in his offensive planning, and in game decisions.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Ok. THis year our losses are simply frustrating, not humiliating.

If our offense could find any firepower after halftime in the Clemson and LSU games, we could be undefeated. 

Again it's frustrating, when your HC, who was brought in because of his offensive ability, loses games, because our offensive scheme stunk (Last years Clemson game, and second half of LSU), or his in game play calling cost us a win (CLemson this year, second half LSU...and I'm sure I could go back 2-4 year while he was here). 

I just want a HC that can change, and become better, which shows on the field. We will see in the TaM, GA, and Alabama games if he can make the smart offensive calls to win these games). If not, he simply can't overcome his weaknesses as a HC, and certainly in his offensive planning, and in game decisions.

Isn’t that humiliating in itself ? Your HC who use to be considered an Offensive Guru can’t muster more than 117 yards against Clemson. 13 total rush yards ? Supposedly asked to not touch the offense. Be like asking Kirby smart to stay away from the defense. 

2 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

I know what it means.....it's Mike Leech who gets into the top ten and then gets massacred by ordinary teams 58-37 and 37-7 or something like that.  

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I know what it means.....it's Mike Leech who gets into the top ten and then gets massacred by ordinary teams 58-37 and 37-7 or something like that.  

Ok.

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

What does Mike "Leach" have to do with AU?

wde

15 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yes this too is humiliating 

9 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

What does Mike "Leach" have to do with AU?

wde

They always have some answer or excuse for Gus. Im just going to agree with 64 and Mikey from now on as I’m tired of arguing with brick walls. It’s obvious it’s going to take a 2012 like collapse to convince them and even then they would have excuses.

Just now, OnthePlains said:

They always have some answer or excuse for Gus. Im just going to agree with 64 and Mikey from now on as I’m tired of arguing with brick walls. It’s obvious it’s going to take a 2012 like collapse to convince them and even then they would have excuses.

No doubt.  There were a select few that still thought Chizik should not have been fired in 2012 after the Texas A&M debacle. 64 and Mikey fit that profile.

wde

Archived