next Head Coach

Eagle-1

2 hours ago, Grumps said:

I'm still not convinced that Smart is as good as he might look. If he is as much of a douche as some here have reported, then he could be exposed when UGA faces some adversity.

Has a pretty good team, but has benefitted by a perfect storm. Their schedule is a joke so far this year. Their signature win is Notre Dame, and I'm still convinced they are overrated. The others are UT, and UF? I'm not impressed with their win over MSU, any more than I am ours. Kirby is living a charmed life right now. We'll see if he can sustain his early success. He should be dominating that dumpster fire that is the SEC East. A couple of untimely losses, whether this season, or next, and these fans over here in GA will turn on him like a rabid skunk.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

The answer to our HC issues is for the new AD to call up Peterson, apologize for last time, then write a really really big check. 

Peterson? I think you mean Patterson. Chris Peterson was never remotely on Auburn's radar, nor was Auburn on Peterson's.

Why are we even discussing this?? The man is 4-1 against our main rival Arkansas.  I cannot fathom why we would even consider a new coach.  You people have lost your minds. 

25 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

With the 5-6 HC openings in the SEC this year, no way Auburn gets rid of Gus. Strap in boys. The bus is here to stay.

Eh, don't think this has anything to do with our situation.  Right now, given the rosters, AU would have the most attractive open gig in the SEC.  A coach could come here and win on day one.  That ain't happening at UF, UT, Arkansas, A&M, or Ole Miss.

Now, I'm not convinced Gus gets fired if we go 8-4 because the athletic department situation has to be figured out first.

24 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Why are we even discussing this?? The man is 4-1 against our main rival Arkansas.  I cannot fathom why we would even consider a new coach.  You people have lost your minds. 

He really does own ole miss and arkansas!!! Good thing we measure our program with how we do vs those 2.

28 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

With the 5-6 HC openings in the SEC this year, no way Auburn gets rid of Gus. Strap in boys. The bus is here to stay.

There is just no way he survives if he goes 0-8 the last 4 years vs bama and georgia. NONE. And he should not survive. That is inexcusable. Those other openings have nothing to do with us. We got to take care of us and assess our situation independently and not worry what other schools are doing.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

He really does own ole miss and arkansas!!! Good thing we measure our program with how we do vs those 2.

Well, we always have Gwill.  Ever since I was a little boy I remember how fired up I was for those games.  When Arky joined the SEC it was like a dream come true.  I thought, you know, this rivalry could be really great with the Hogs.  That 1984 Liberty Bowl match up still stands as one of the all-time great games, right there with USC-Texas in the Rose Bowl.  It was fate that brought us together in the SEC West and you know growing up in this state you have to declare early...are you Auburn or are you Arkansas??

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

There is just no way he survives if he goes 0-8 the last 4 years vs bama and georgia. NONE. And he should not survive. That is inexcusable. Those other openings have nothing to do with us. We got to take care of us and assess our situation independently and not worry what other schools are doing.

morgan.jpg

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

Well, we always have Gwill.  Ever since I was a little boy I remember how fired up I was for those games.  When Arky joined the SEC it was like a dream come true.  I thought, you know, this rivalry could be really great with the Hogs.  That 1984 Liberty Bowl match up still stands as one of the all-time great games, right there with USC-Texas in the Rose Bowl.  It was fate that brought us together in the SEC West and you know growing up in this state you have to declare early...are you Auburn or are you Arkansas??

I think Keith Jackson said his favorite all time college fball rivalry is arkansas vs auburn!!! 

2 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

I fear you are about, (edit), are in the process of seeing that change right before your eyes. I can't predict whether Gus is retained, or not. What I am going to predict is if retained, this will be his most underwhelming recruiting class this year by far. If Dumb coaching, and inexplicable ineptness doesn't spell his demise, this ultimately will.

We are slipping tinto the abyss of mediocrity and just a small step above Miss St who is becoming a stepping stone, type of program (their coach is likely stepping up to coach UF I presume).    The trends are all there and just barely as good as last year, WITH THE MOST TALENTED TEAM since 2004. 

Ask yourself, what would a top flight coach do with a roster like ours?  Beat Mercer the way we did?  Lose to Clemson the last 2 yrs the way we did?  you get my point

Losing to Clemson was a tossup game.  Losing to a very average LSU team... well it wasn’t the end of the world but it sure felt like it.  Inexcusable!  So he’s been preaching getting better just a little bit each week.  We are in his opinion in a good spot to finish strong.  Well finishing strong in my opinion is winning at least 6 more games.  aTm directional la UGA bama sec champion and whatever bowl or playoff game

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Losing to Clemson was a tossup game.  Losing to a very average LSU team... well it wasn’t the end of the world but it sure felt like it.  Inexcusable!  So he’s been preaching getting better just a little bit each week.  We are in his opinion in a good spot to finish strong.  Well finishing strong in my opinion is winning at least 6 more games.  aTm directional la UGA bama sec champion and whatever bowl or playoff game

Pretty sure his plan is to slowly keep spoon feeding us his crap until we reach a point like some other teams in this conference that we are ok with just going 6-6 and making a bowl game most years.

I would offer Bob Stoops and James Franklin $8 mil/year and make them tell me “no”. Then I would thoroughly research and evaluate Justin Fuente, Matt Campbell, and Scott Frost as the next 3 on my list.

20 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

This is an opinion article and should in no way be considered fact. Or else, he probably wouldn't be coaching currently...

15 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Eh, don't think this has anything to do with our situation.  Right now, given the rosters, AU would have the most attractive open gig in the SEC.  A coach could come here and win on day one.  That ain't happening at UF, UT, Arkansas, A&M, or Ole Miss.

Now, I'm not convinced Gus gets fired if we go 8-4 because the athletic department situation has to be figured out first.

But can he maintain what is being built...winning with past recruited talent is great. But there are a lot of questions? What kind of system will they run? Will it be reflective of the talent on hand? 

23 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

But can he maintain what is being built...winning with past recruited talent is great. But there are a lot of questions? What kind of system will they run? Will it be reflective of the talent on hand? 

Of course those are important questions.  My point was simply that of the potential available gigs in the SEC, ours is the most attractive based on current talent.  And coaches do consider that when taking jobs.

Despite having nationally top 10 recruiting classes for every season he has been here Gus has placed our talented senior class in a position to where they are staring going 0-4 to our 2 biggest rivals smack in the face. 

No senior class has ever gone winless against our main rivals. Ever.

Let that sink in.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Of course those are important questions.  My point was simply that of the potential available gigs in the SEC, ours is the most attractive based on current talent.  And coaches do consider that when taking jobs.

That’s assuming we fire our coach in time to sway the coaches to Auburn. If Florida is already filled, TAM is already filled, and Arky already wrote a blank check to get theirs, then we may be too late if we wait until after the season. Also, I don’t expect money to be much of an issue for either SEC school. 

Also, Auburn may not be very attractive just because we have our two main rivals being polled in the top three right now. 

2 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

Looks like Mullen won't be in Gainesville based on this article about how his wife felthttps://www.seccountry.com/florida/former-florida-coach-dan-mullens-wife-discusses-difficulty-coaching-gainesville

Happy Wife Happy Life.................The man should listen. LOL

1 hour ago, WarEagleJersey said:

This is an opinion article and should in no way be considered fact. Or else, he probably wouldn't be coaching currently...

The court of public opinion may be unfair, but you can bet that AU will not knowingly add anything to what is currently a disaster in the athletic department. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

That’s assuming we fire our coach in time to sway the coaches to Auburn. If Florida is already filled, TAM is already filled, and Arky already wrote a blank check to get theirs, then we may be too late if we wait until after the season. Also, I don’t expect money to be much of an issue for either SEC school. 

Also, Auburn may not be very attractive just because we have our two main rivals being polled in the top three right now. 

I fully expect Gus back next year unless we finish 7-5.  And even then, he may still be back (with the exception that he takes the Arky gig to escape the pressure at AU).  Currently there's too much upheaval happening in the athletic department to make a move and attract a good coach.

However, I don't think the polling really matters with regards UGA and Bama.  Same could be argued for anyone ever taking the Michigan job, as OSU, PSU, and MSU have all been good-to-great recently, but it's still Michigan.  The talent is here and coaches realize they could win big at AU with resources and recruiting territory.  Even if you take the UF job, you gotta beat UGA & LSU and then either Bama, AU, or an LSU rematch in the title game. 

Auburn's season right now boils down to a three game season every year.  That's not terrible.

I have a bad feeling that we are about to watch UF, Tenn, Miss and Arky go out and grab up some head coaches that are going make ours look 3rd tier. Ok, maybe not Ole Miss. I'm predicting that Gus is going to go 1-1 in our last 2 SEC games and the loss is going to be close. If that's the case, he won't be fired. And honestly, he probably shouldn't be. But he will never field a team that dominates and wins a championship again. He is going to be just good enough to not warrant being fired. 

Archived