next Head Coach

Eagle-1

Just now, AUIH1 said:

No doubt.  There were a select few that still thought Chizik should not have been fired in 2012 after the Texas A&M debacle. 64 and Mikey fit that profile.

wde

I admire loyalty and all and I actually respect them for towing the line.  However, I can’t help picturing them both as members of the band on the Titanic continuing to play as the ship sank. Admirable but in the end futile.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I know what it means.....it's Mike Leech who gets into the top ten and then gets massacred by ordinary teams 58-37 and 37-7 or something like that.  

To add to your point . At least we are not getting blown out, but that makes it even more frustrating . To have a total of 117 yards against the defending champions and only be down one possession makes it more infuriating to me. It’s a testimony to how close we are 

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

To add to your point . At least we are not getting blown out, but that makes it even more frustrating . To have a total of 117 yards against the defending champions and only be down one possession makes it more infuriating to me. It’s a testimony to how close we are 

My fear is that you are right and that we are very close, but that in an attempt to close that small distance we are going to take a big step backward.

2 minutes ago, Grumps said:

My fear is that you are right and that we are very close, but that in an attempt to close that small distance we are going to take a big step backward.

That is a legitimate fear as long as Jay Jacobs is the AD.  However; that small distance is going to grow wider with Smart at UGA and Saban showing no signs of retiring.  Gus is simply not up to the job.  

wde

32 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

They always have some answer or excuse for Gus. Im just going to agree with 64 and Mikey from now on as I’m tired of arguing with brick walls. It’s obvious it’s going to take a 2012 like collapse to convince them and even then they would have excuses.

Not an excuse for Gus that just noting that other coaches, many of whom have been on our "want" list go though the same problems....unexpected losses....and in those case, embarrassing losses.   We could have had  Smart? ....likely not but we could  have had Gill (wasn't that who Barkley wanted AU to hire) but fortunately did not hire him.    So...two bad hires at AU resulted in a BCS championship and a slot in the finals.....unfortunate for certain.  

My primary concern is the apparent argument that any other coach will be better than Gus....because there is no other coach lined up or even proposed as a serious candidate.   McElwain looks to be available soon.....also used to coach for Nick so maybe we can get him and let UF pay his salary for a couple years.? 

I'm not defending Gus....I'm protesting a plan B that is no plan at all....just the hope that someone better will fall out of the sky and land on Auburn's campus.  

13 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Thanks Mike.  I wasn't aware of this situation.  I'd stay away from the Sandusky thing for sure but I have no idea who is fricking telling the truth in that situation.  The coaches and the athletic dept, not the victims.  

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not an excuse for Gus that just noting that other coaches, many of whom have been on our "want" list go though the same problems....unexpected losses....and in those case, embarrassing losses.   We could have had  Smart? ....likely not but we could  have had Gill (wasn't that who Barkley wanted AU to hire) but fortunately did not hire him.    So...two bad hires at AU resulted in a BCS championship and a slot in the finals.....unfortunate for certain.  

My primary concern is the apparent argument that any other coach will be better than Gus....because there is no other coach lined up or even proposed as a serious candidate.   McElwain looks to be available soon.....also used to coach for Nick so maybe we can get him and let UF pay his salary for a couple years.? 

I'm not defending Gus....I'm protesting a plan B that is no plan at all....just the hope that someone better will fall out of the sky and land on Auburn's campus.  

Yep. Completely agree with everything you say.

19 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Yeah that is something that is very possible 

Every coach loses games they shouldn't.  With the staff and talent Alabama has assembled they should never lose a game but they do.  So they average about what every team averages 1-2 loses a year to teams they shouldn't lose to.  This is no excuse for Gus.  The LSU loss was inexcusable.  Plus his personality is wearing on the fan base, his inability to really hit a homerun recruiting on the offensive side of the ball.  Sure we have had 5 star players commit but they have been bad apples or tweener types.  How a team like AU can lose out recruiting battles for running backs to UGA, bammer, and LSU on a consistent basis is mind blowing.  And his record vs quality teams

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Every coach loses games they shouldn't.  With the staff and talent Alabama has assembled they should never lose a game but they do.  So they average about what every team averages 1-2 loses a year to teams they shouldn't lose to.  This is no excuse for Gus.  The LSU loss was inexcusable.  Plus his personality is wearing on the fan base, his inability to really hit a homerun recruiting on the offensive side of the ball.  Sure we have had 5 star players commit but they have been bad apples or tweener types.  How a team like AU can lose out recruiting battles for running backs to UGA, bammer, and LSU on a consistent basis is mind blowing.  And his record vs quality teams

Regarding recruiting.  UGA is loading up and kicking our butt.

wde

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

But isn't Auburn's talent level right now about as high as it has ever been? Of all of the complaints about Gus, lack of recruiting ability shouldn't be one of them.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah that is something that is very possible 

True, but with Smart at UGA, as long a Gus is HC, we are no longer just treading water with UGA, we are losing ground in a rapid rate.

wde

Just now, Grumps said:

But isn't Auburn's talent level right now about as high as it has ever been? Of all of the complaints about Gus, lack of recruiting ability shouldn't be one of them.

yes but everyone in the conference is up as well.  So essentially we have stayed about where we have always been conference wide.  SEC money has raised the game for everyone in the conference.  The problem with the conference now is quality QB play, heck or even stable QB play.  Drew Locke, Hurts, Stidham and true freshman Fromm are about the only quality Qbs.  Patterson is ok but you can't throw the ball 50-60 times a game without a lot of turnoevers.  Fitzgerald is good on teams they can run on but if he has to pass it's ehhhh.  

1 minute ago, Grumps said:

Agree, right now we are as talented as UGA, LSU, and Clemson.  Less talented than spuat. More talented than everyone else in the conference.  The problem is that with Smart, we are losing ground in recruiting at a rapid rate.  Gus has demonstrated that he cannot out coach anyone that has a team with equal talent.  Hell, Coach O outcoached Gus which is the ultimate embarrassment.

wde

3 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

True, but with Smart at UGA, as long a Gus is HC, we are no longer just treading water with UGA, we are losing ground in a rapid rate.

wde

Georgia is the sleeping Giant.  If and it's a big "IF" Smart is the guy to awaken that giant it might not matter who AU's coach is.  Of the power players in the conference we have the least advantages.  Luckily we have been willing to spend money on quality coaching staffs over the last 30 years.

13 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Thanks Mike.  I wasn't aware of this situation.  I'd stay away from the Sandusky thing for sure but I have no idea who is fricking telling the truth in that situation.  The coaches and the athletic dept, not the victims.  

I agree with you about the question of truth, but the specter of the Sandusky incident is enough IMO to keep Schiano far away from AU.  Totally not worth even looking at him. 

4 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I might not be the best at identifying quality head coaches lol.  I wanted Jim Mora Jr when we hired chizik.  

I don't think many of us are!  I include myself of course.  I just understand that we need a better coach than we have now to compete against UGA, LSU and spuat.  I am hoping for wisdom from our PTB (I know that may be wishing for too much) that we hire a competent AD who can make a good HC hire.

wde

15 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

I'm still not convinced that Smart is as good as he might look. If he is as much of a douche as some here have reported, then he could be exposed when UGA faces some adversity.

3 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I'm still not convinced that Smart is as good as he might look. If he is as much of a douche as some here have reported, then he could be exposed when UGA faces some adversity.

We will know more after year three for certain.  Heck, Chizik as terrible as he was, won a title after year two and Gus, as mediocre as he is, went to the title game in his 1st year.  

I have not heard anything about Smart being a douche.  Please enlighten. I know when AU interviewed him in 2012, he wanted to know everything regarding the NCAA investigation and full control.  That is not being a douche.  That is being "smart".

wde

20 minutes ago, corchjay said:

yes but everyone in the conference is up as well.  So essentially we have stayed about where we have always been conference wide.  SEC money has raised the game for everyone in the conference.  The problem with the conference now is quality QB play, heck or even stable QB play.  Drew Locke, Hurts, Stidham and true freshman Fromm are about the only quality Qbs.  Patterson is ok but you can't throw the ball 50-60 times a game without a lot of turnoevers.  Fitzgerald is good on teams they can run on but if he has to pass it's ehhhh.  

JMO but AU is in a very bad recruiting region....surrounded by powerhouse football programs...bama, UGa, FSU and Fla and maybe UT, to the north.   We mostly recruit inside the open spaces between those schools and then try to steal a few from what ought to be their territories.  

Not many people are going to agree with me I expect, but seems that AU recruits quite well considering we are not the #1 school in any part of our prime recruiting region.   The big State Name universities dominate the media all around us and our coaches have a lot to overcome.  JMO

I mean, if we did make a change, who would we get? Coaching changes never work out...we should just stay the course.  Really, if you have an employee who is under performing for 4 years you don’t let them go and try and find a better employee, thats crazy talk. Next year Gus will have it all figured out, just wait. 

Archived