Eagle-1

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Turner Gill?

LIBERTY!!!! beat baylor to start the season I believe lol

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Mikey said:

Fans on this message board and to some extent the media claim Gus is aloof, etc. Take time to read the remarks of players who sign with us. To a man they say Gus was a big part of the reason they chose Auburn. He comes off very well in one-on-one situations with recruits. There are things to criticize about Gus but his recruiting ability is not one of them.

I believe Kristi does too. They seem polar opposites but as well a strong, committed match and a balanced team. I am a mixed bag of emotions and reason when it comes to our history and present with Coach Malzahn, but I will always wish them well and believe in their ability to shepherd our student athletes. I'll never know the personal investment they are certain to have made as surrogate parents for many on the team who are away from their support systems. I would have to imagine that their calls in the middle of the night are exponential compared to ours. We all regretfully or forcefully know that it takes much more when it comes to successful coaching at Auburn, but I too like to praise where it's due. 

P.S.  From her FACEBOOK page, they are due to be first-time grandparents. I'm praying for them in lots of ways right now...?

On 10/26/2017 at 8:27 PM, BJCrawford said:

My brother recently pointed out to me that Malzahn had always been successful at every stop right up until his first head coaching gig at a major university (2013).  When adversity reared it’s head in 2014, he simply has not been equipped to handle it. He seems to coach scared now. It really is a shame. As someone wrote in another thread, let’s just hope he does not get his mojo back somewhere else and come back and kick our butt.

With all the vacancies (HC and their coordinators) on the horizon I believe he'll be working in the SEC next year.  HC at Auburn is most probable, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him as HC at Ole Miss or Arkansas; neither program, particularly Ole Miss, can be overly choosy right now.  I think UT and UF would want a bigger splash for HC, but I could see him as a coordinator for a defensive minded coach, especially if that coach didn't have much experience in the SEC.  Could also see him replacing Mazzone at TAM, and since they as an institution have no concept of sportsmanship I could see uat hiring CGM as an analyst.

WDE!

52 minutes ago, War Knight said:

If FSU keeps flopping into failure we might take a gamble on Jimbo

Jimbos' 39 million buyout aside, why hire a coach whose team is 2-4? Does that look like a good swap for a guy whose team is 6-2?

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Jimbos' 39 million buyout aside, why hire a coach whose team is 2-4? Does that look like a good swap for a guy whose team is 6-2?

I didn't say it was smart. Just seems like a 2000's Auburn decision that would be made lol

1 hour ago, War Knight said:

If FSU keeps flopping into failure we might take a gamble on Jimbo

Jimbo's team slips to 2-5 following a 35-3 thrashing by Boston College.

58 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That’s ridiculous. Why not compare their overall results? Because it doesn’t fit your narrative?  Lets see....

10 win seasons

Jimbo 6 in 8 yrs

Gus 1 in 5 yrs

Conference titles 

Jimbo 3

Gus 1

Nattys 

Jimbo 1 (and who was that he beat? )

Gus 0

Record vs primary rival 

Jimbo 6-1 vs UF

Gus 1-3 vs UA

Record vs secondary rival

Jimbo 4-3vs Clemson

Gus 1-3 vs UGA

Just as an aside, I don’t like Jimbo, I don’t want him as Auburn’s coach. But don’t pretend Gus is somehow a better coach because of their current records. There is nothing impressive about Gus’s 6-2 record. He is 6-0 against nobodies and 0-2 against somebodies. 

36 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

That’s ridiculous. Why not compare their overall results? Because it doesn’t fit your narrative?  Lets see....

10 win seasons

Jimbo 6 in 8 yrs

Gus 1 in 5 yrs

Conference titles 

Jimbo 3

Gus 1

Nattys 

Gus 0

Record vs primary rival 

Jimbo 6-1 vs UF

Gus 1-3 vs UA

Jimbo 4-3vs Clemson

Gus 1-3 vs UGA

Just as an aside, I don’t like Jimbo, I don’t want him as Auburn’s coach. But don’t pretend Gus is somehow a better coach because of their current records. There is nothing impressive about Gus’s 6-2 record. He is 6-0 against nobodies and 0-2 against somebodies. 

QlNkg.gif

54 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

10 win seasons

Jimbo 6 in 8 yrs

Gus 1 in 5 yrs

Conference titles 

Jimbo 3

Gus 1

Nattys 

Gus 0

Record vs primary rival 

Jimbo 6-1 vs UF

Gus 1-3 vs UA

Jimbo 4-3vs Clemson

Gus 1-3 vs UGA

Maybe agree with some of this but to compare Jimbo having to play Florida with Muschamp and McElwain at the helm to Gus having to play Saban his entire time at Auburn as our biggest rival is unfair. Ill give you the Georgia but anyone Auburn sticks in will have the same problem with Saban until he is gone.  And just as an aside, how many of us wish we had Kelly from FSU as our defensive coordinator now?

I think all of this conversation is moot since I'd be surprised if Gus is fired after this season. I just don't see it being enough for the PTB to fire him.

8 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

.... There is nothing impressive about Gus’s 6-2 record. He is 6-0 against nobodies and 0-2 against somebodies. 

Tell me now, if Auburn beats A&M next weekend, will A&M be a nobody or a somebody? As anyone knows, Jimbo's path at FSU has been and will continue to be a lot easier path to walk than the path any Auburn coach has to deal with. The reason Bobby Bowden turned the SEC down in favor of the ACC all those years ago still is valid today.

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Tell me now, if Auburn beats A&M next weekend, will A&M be a nobody or a somebody? As anyone knows, Jimbo's path at FSU has been and will continue to be a lot easier path to walk than the path any Auburn coach has to deal with. The reason Bobby Bowden turned the SEC down in favor of the ACC all those years ago still is valid today.

The SEC and ACC each have 4 ranked teams. The average ranking of the ACC teams is higher than that of the SEC teams. Also, Gus has repeatedly lost to crappy Georgia teams, and he lost to a crappy LSU team this year. And he lost in spectacular and humiliating fashion to an ACC team the last two seasons. His schedule doesn't explain his record.

By the way, TAMU is not currently ranked.

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The SEC and ACC each have 4 ranked teams. The average ranking of the ACC teams is higher than that of the SEC teams. Also, Gus has repeatedly lost to crappy Georgia teams, and he lost to a crappy LSU team this year. And he lost in spectacular and humiliating fashion to an ACC team the last two seasons. His schedule doesn't explain his record.

There was a reference to 10-year history upthread a bit.... The coach at FSU has it easier, as Papa Bowden wanted it.

Losing to a national champion 19-13, and the same team the following year when they are defending national champs 14-6 was spectacular and humiliating? On what planet? Nobody but a died in the wool Gus hater would call those losses spectacular and humiliating.

TAMU is not currently ranked. So beating them will be meaningless? Even though one doesn't have to look far to read posts about how this AU team will lose next Saturday? I think beating them is very important to the AU program. If the game is meaningless to you, may I suggest working 12 hours of overtime from noon to midnight Saturday? The financial rewards of that should be much more satisfying to you than watching a meaningless game.

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I’m seeing five ranked SEC teams in the coaches poll so I guess it depends on the poll that fits your agenda. The Aggies are ranked in that poll as well. 

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/football/polls/coaches-poll/

8 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Maybe agree with some of this but to compare Jimbo having to play Florida with Muschamp and McElwain at the helm to Gus having to play Saban his entire time at Auburn as our biggest rival is unfair. Ill give you the Georgia but anyone Auburn sticks in will have the same problem with Saban until he is gone.  And just as an aside, how many of us wish we had Kelly from FSU as our defensive coordinator now?

Ole Miss beat bama TWICE. Clemson beat bama just a few months ago and nearly beat them the year before. Why does everyone think bama hasn’t lost in 10 years? And why are you willing to concede just because of Saban? We’ve beaten him before. What the heck happened to “a spirit that is unafraid”? I’m not saying Gus should be 4-0 against him but he is about to be 1-4. Is 2-2 too much to ask? And yeah no excuse for 1-3 against UGA teams that haven’t been good.

49 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There was a reference to 10-year history upthread a bit.... The coach at FSU has it easier, as Papa Bowden wanted it.

Losing to a national champion 19-13, and the same team the following year when they are defending national champs 14-6 was spectacular and humiliating? On what planet? Nobody but a died in the wool Gus hater would call those losses spectacular and humiliating.

TAMU is not currently ranked. So beating them will be meaningless? Even though one doesn't have to look far to read posts about how this AU team will lose next Saturday? I think beating them is very important to the AU program. If the game is meaningless to you, may I suggest working 12 hours of overtime from noon to midnight Saturday? The financial rewards of that should be much more satisfying to you than watching a meaningless game.

Mikey, at what freaking point is LOSING close games to defending champs not good enough? Thats a losers argument. How many moral victories can you possibly count just to defend this guy? You should be a UT fan, they are the Champions of Life you know. 

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

The SEC Is down now and has been for a few years. Conference strength is subjective and another poor argument trying to defend Gus.  A&M would be a solid win but lets be real Mikey, you and me and everyone in orange and blue know there are three games that matter a bit more...LSU(which he already screwed up in spectacular fashion), UGA and the turds. His record against those three is atrocious not to mention your 2 moral “victories “ over Clemson that very easily could’ve been won with any semblance of an offense from the OFFENSIVE GENIUS. If you truly believe after the almost 5 year sample we have that Gus is the guy to take AU Football to new heights then fine but it seems like you just like playing devil’s advocate or one of those who is more concerned with how it would look to fire a coach than you are with winning.

36 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Mikey, at what freaking point is LOSING close games to defending champs not good enough?

Losing close games to defending National Champions isn’t good enough but it’s not worth firing him either. I agree with Mikey though that the loss wasn’t humiliating. If you want to see humiliating, look at the can that Boston College opened on FSU.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Said like someone who didn't actually watch those Clemson games. Good God. 

And you really need to stop attributing words to people that they never said. Your hyperbole has been off the charts lately. It's really a shame. 

117 yards of total offense. If you're not humiliated by that then I'm not sure why you would have ever bothered criticizing anything. Jake Holland certainly never put on that pathetic a performance.

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Losing close games to defending National Chanpions isn’t good enough but it’s not worth firing him either. I agree with Mikey though that the loss wasn’t humiliating. If you want to see humiliating, look at the can that Boston College opened on FSU.

Sigh.....Again I ask when did the standard at Auburn become not getting humiliated by good teams? I know its hard to believe but there have been coaches at Auburn that won those games every now and then. Even Terry friggin Bowden won big games. Gus defenders don’t want us judging him on any one season or period of time but sure are quick to judje Jimbo on one bad stretch. 

Archived