next Head Coach

Eagle-1

18 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I have a bad feeling that we are about to watch UF, Tenn, Miss and Arky go out and grab up some head coaches that are going make ours look 3rd tier. Ok, maybe not Ole Miss. I'm predicting that Gus is going to go 1-1 in our last 2 SEC games and the loss is going to be close. If that's the case, he won't be fired. And honestly, he probably shouldn't be. But he will never field a team that dominates and wins a championship again. He is going to be just good enough to not warrant being fired. 

If he never fields a team that dominates and wins a championship again, then even if he goes 1-1 this year in last 2 games, he will be fired next year, especially if he loses a 4th consecutive time to ALabama. 

And that's not to say he doesn't get fired this year if he goes 0-2 at then end.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tiger said:

If Gus leaves on his own and we are forced to hire someone who is going to be the one pulling the strings on the hire?

Our handy dandy auburn committee 

37 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

fully expect Gus back next year unless we finish 7-5. 

Hope so because the following quoted post would be our worst nightmare. Need to join the arms race NOW if we are going to fire Gus. But it’s not necessary to fire Gus rn so either way, it feels forced. 

35 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I have a bad feeling that we are about to watch UF, Tenn, Miss and Arky go out and grab up some head coaches that are going make ours look 3rd tier.

27 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

If he never fields a team that dominates and wins a championship again, then even if he goes 1-1 this year in last 2 games, he will be fired next year, especially if he loses a 4th consecutive time to ALabama. 

And that's not to say he doesn't get fired this year if he goes 0-2 at then end.

I just don't see Auburn firing a guy for not dominating enough. Our coaches usually get fired for massive debacles. I mean look at Tuberville. Yea he beat Alabama, but we were ,for the most part, completely mediocre while he was at Auburn. And everyone seemed fine with that. At least fine enough not to can him. The minute he had a meltdown of a season, that embarrassed Auburn, he was gone. Same with Chizik. I just don't think that the people in power at Auburn have any real desire to make sure that we are a football juggernaut. They want someone who is going to play by their rules and field teams that aren't embarrassing and pitiful. I think that Gus could win 8 games a season and a bowl every year, and they would be fine with it. It sucks to think that, but until they prove otherwise, I don't see why we should expect anything else.

43 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

However, I don't think the polling really matters with regards UGA and Bama.  Same could be argued for anyone ever taking the Michigan job, as OSU, PSU, and MSU have all been good-to-great recently, but it's still Michigan.

I’m not saying the polling matters per se, but l’d imagine it matters to other coaches that we put coaches heads on the chopping block for not winning the rivalry games when our rivals are as talented and dangerous  as any teams in the nation. 

23 hours ago, corchjay said:

How a team like AU can lose out recruiting battles for running backs to UGA, bammer, and LSU on a consistent basis is mind blowing.  And his record vs quality teams

Personally, I believe one of the reasons Auburn loses recruits to UGA and Bama (and sometimes A&M) is because they have glitzy glam, swagger and sizzle facilities--and I'm not talking about the stadiums. I can't speak for LSU, because I'm genuinely unaware about their facilities, but Smart had a DJ booth installed in their locker room. Bama has a waterfall. A&M has a freaking barbershop in their insanely glamorous (idk what other word to use because it's so....GLAMOROUS) locker room. It makes Auburn's locker room look like a dump. I'm sorry.

I know fancy shmancy swagged out locker rooms aren't needed for on-the-field results, and it seems extra and unnecessary...but it appeals to the recruits. We might have the biggest jumbotron in college football, but there are other ways we can improve our facilities to draw in more recruits...

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I just don't see Auburn firing a guy for not dominating enough. Our coaches usually get fired for massive debacles. I mean look at Tuberville. Yea he beat Alabama, but we were, for the most part completely mediocre while he was at Auburn. And everyone seemed fine with that. At least fine enough not to can him. the minute he had a meltdown of a season, that embarrassed Auburn, he was gone. Same with Chizik. I just don't think that the people in power at Auburn have any real desire to make sure that we are a football juggernaut. They want someone who is going to play by their rules and field teams that aren't embarrassing and pitiful. I think that Gus could win 8 games a season and a bowl every year, and they would be fine with it. It sucks to think that, but until they prove otherwise, I don't see why we should expect anything else.

You've got to be kidding that we were mediocre during CTT years. Have your looked at the records? He won 9 or more games 6 out his 10 years. He finished 1st or 2nd in the division 7-10 years. THe only problem CTT had, was losing that one game, he was not suppose to lose. But in big games he had a very good record. His personalty was one that put him on edge with Auburn GOBs. Mediocre? No way!!

See Doug Barfield. He went 0-5 against Alabama. that got him fired.

Chizik going 0-8 in the SEC doomed him. along with 1-3 record vs Alabama.

Gus was somewhere inbetween, but if he loses to them 4 years in a row, that puts him up there with those 2. And losing to GA so much only adds to it.

2 minutes ago, WDE0007 said:

Personally, I believe one of the reasons Auburn loses recruits to UGA and Bama (and sometimes A&M) is because they have glitzy glam, swagger and sizzle facilities--and I'm not talking about the stadiums. I can't speak for LSU, because I'm genuinely unaware about their facilities, but Smart had a DJ booth installed in their locker room. Bama has a waterfall. A&M has a freaking barbershop in their insanely glamorous (idk what other word to use because it's so....GLAMOROUS) locker room. It makes Auburn's locker room look like a dump. I'm sorry.

I know fancy shmancy swagged out locker rooms aren't needed for on-the-field results, and it seems extra and unnecessary...but it appeals to the recruits. We might have the biggest jumbotron in college football, but there are other ways we can improve our facilities to draw in more recruits...

I vote a rock wall in the locker room. 

And the reason that the PTB will not settle for GM records (if we do nt beat GA or ALabama), is that the fans have had a taste of a NC era with 2010 and 2013, that we know we can keep shooting for that brass ring.

No way, they will settle on Gus' record if he continues like he has the past 3 years.

53 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

or more bagmen, our version of an REC, dodge chargers, suits, jobs for parents, scholarships for girlfriends, sisters, dancing defensive coordinators, whatever it takes, etc....

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

And the reason that the PTB will not settle for GM records (if we do nt beat GA or ALabama), is that the fans have had a taste of a NC era with 2010 and 2013, that we know we can keep shooting for that brass ring.

No way, they will settle on Gus' record if he continues like he has the past 3 years.

Tuberville won 68% of the game he coached at Auburn. In another sport, that might be ok, but in college football that doesn't get you much, in the form of rings. He won 1 SEC championship. And this was all while Alabama was on and recovering from probation and had their version of Doug Barfield. He did coach well in big games, but he was horrible in some games we were supposed to win. Don't get me wrong, I like Tommy. He was a great representative for Auburn, but imo he was completely mediocre. 

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Can we get a trampoline, too?

This isn't about former coaches.  This is about accepting a coach who can't win against UGA and bama.  Aside from two great, miraculous plays coming on back to back weekends, we would be 0-10 against these two.    I am forever grateful we won those two games.  But that does not warrant being coach forever.  

We are so removed from 2010 and 2013 that this coach said after blowing a 20pt lead to another rival that, "this isn't the end of the world."   That is not a competitive attitude from our leader, our HC!    This should have been more like, "These players didn't deserve this.  I am the HC and take full responsibility.  This won't happen again!  I thought we could grind it out and I goofed."  Something like this.   Even his tone wasn't that of a championship coach.

If he can't win 9 games with the most talent since 2004 something is bad wrong with him or this staff (which is on him for $5 mil/yr).   

Auburn is either supposed to contend for divisional championships or we are ok with 8-4 EVERY YEAR.  At least UGA had the cajones to say  to M Richt "9 wins is nice, but it is not what we expect, we expect to get to ATL every so often."

My fear:  

I think there are 2 (maybe 3) really great candidates I would like.   If they go to UF, UT or TAMU, maybe Ark then we won't ever have them at Auburn and we will have to beat them for recruits.  And face them on the field.  we are already losing the recruiting battles and next year it won't easier if we limp to another finish....recruiting is the lifeblood of the program!  

I could be wrong, but recruiting is slipping right now.  Just another trend....

4 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I just don't see Auburn firing a guy for not dominating enough. Our coaches usually get fired for massive debacles. I mean look at Tuberville. Yea he beat Alabama, but we were ,for the most part, completely mediocre while he was at Auburn. And everyone seemed fine with that. At least fine enough not to can him. The minute he had a meltdown of a season, that embarrassed Auburn, he was gone. Same with Chizik. I just don't think that the people in power at Auburn have any real desire to make sure that we are a football juggernaut. They want someone who is going to play by their rules and field teams that aren't embarrassing and pitiful. I think that Gus could win 8 games a season and a bowl every year, and they would be fine with it. It sucks to think that, but until they prove otherwise, I don't see why we should expect anything else.

Difference between TT and CGM is I had a sense that no matter what game we went into there was a chance we will win, although he did lose some we had no business losing. TT had us beating the eventually NC Florida Gators, not to mention he had a handle on our rivals , particularly Alabama. You can survive if you are doing that. Also , you need to define mediocre . 

30 minutes ago, Beaker said:

This isn't about former coaches.  This is about accepting a coach who can't win against UGA and bama.  Aside from two great, miraculous plays coming on back to back weekends, we would be 0-10 against these two.    I am forever grateful we won those two games.  But that does not warrant being coach forever.  

We are so removed from 2010 and 2013 that this coach said after blowing a 20pt lead to another rival that, "this isn't the end of the world."   That is not a competitive attitude from our leader, our HC!    This should have been more like, "These players didn't deserve this.  I am the HC and take full responsibility.  This won't happen again!  I thought we could grind it out and I goofed."  Something like this.   Even his tone wasn't that of a championship coach.

If he can't win 9 games with the most talent since 2004 something is bad wrong with him or this staff (which is on him for $5 mil/yr).   

Auburn is either supposed to contend for divisional championships or we are ok with 8-4 EVERY YEAR.  At least UGA had the cajones to say  to M Richt "9 wins is nice, but it is not what we expect, we expect to get to ATL every so often."

Let me just add that those 9 wins should all come during the regular season.  

wde

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

If he were winning his bowl games, it's doubtful he'd be on the chopping block right now.  Beat Wisky in '15 and he ends up 9-4....Beat Oklahoma in '16 and he ends up 9-4.

I know I'd have a different impression of Gus' capabilities if he logged back to back 9 win season's and ended both seasons on a positive note. 

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Tuberville won 68% of the game he coached at Auburn. In another sport, that might be ok, but in college football that doesn't get you much, in the form of rings. He won 1 SEC championship. And this was all while Alabama was on and recovering from probation and had their version of Doug Barfield. He did coach well in big games, but he was horrible in some games we were supposed to win. Don't get me wrong, I like Tommy. He was a great representative for Auburn, but imo he was completely mediocre. 

Yep not like the 2004 was maybe the best ever team at Auburn that got robbed of a NC. ?

4 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

From 2004-2007 Tubs was 42-6 with a 4-0 mark against the tide and 2-2 against uga. That stretch was a little better than mediocre. Think about it, over a four season period we only suffered 6 losses. Gus has lost 18 in a 4 year period. Tubs wasn’t great all the time but he had his moments.

39 minutes ago, keesler said:

If he were winning his bowl games, it's doubtful he'd be on the chopping block right now.  Beat Wisky in '15 and he ends up 9-4....Beat Oklahoma in '16 and he ends up 9-4.

I know I'd have a different impression of Gus' capabilities if he logged back to back 9 win season's and ended both seasons on a positive note. 

Plus if he had beaten two mediocre uga teams

19 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I have a bad feeling that we are about to watch UF, Tenn, Miss and Arky go out and grab up some head coaches that are going make ours look 3rd tier........

There's a better chance that they will hire coaches that get the same results that they got with McElwain, Sumlin, Jones and The Whale. It's a crap shoot and the odds are against catching the brass ring. Unless there's a Saban or Meyer that's lurking out there and I don't know who that would be.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

There's a better chance that they will hire coaches that get the same results that they got with McElwain, Sumlin, Jones and The Whale. It's a crap shoot and the odds are against catching the brass ring. Unless there's a Saban or Meyer that's lurking out there and I don't know who that would be.

Tenn, both Mississippi schools and Arkie are always going to take a step down to AU. Those teams will beat AU sometime but no constantly. Lots of factors into this but recruiting is the #1 reason. AU is sitting in a hot bed area. And while we don't have a REC set up, we do have a great network with the high schools in this area. And not a cheating network.   

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Tenn, both Mississippi schools and Arkie are always going to take a step down to AU. Those teams will beat AU sometime but no constantly. Lots of factors into this but recruiting is the #1 reason. AU is sitting in a hot bed area. And while we don't have a REC set up, we do have a great network with the high schools in this area. And not a cheating network.   

Agree. However, my point is that all these schools thought they had hired a coach that would be successful at their place. Now look at the results. Bammer and Texas both went through lengthy failures before finding a successful coach and Texas may not have found one yet. It's impossible to find bigger names and more resources than those two places have and it still was a struggle for them. It's a crap-shoot with the dice loaded in favor of losing.

Auburn has had better results, at least initially, than most when it comes to hiring a football coach. Whether we are smarter or simply have been luckier is unknowable.

Archived