next Head Coach

Eagle-1

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

I mean, if we did make a change, who would we get? Coaching changes never work out...we should just stay the course.  Really, if you have an employee who is under performing for 4 years you don’t let them go and try and find a better employee, thats crazy talk. Next year Gus will have it all figured out, just wait. 

Yellow font applies 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Every coach loses games they shouldn't.  With the staff and talent Alabama has assembled they should never lose a game but they do.  So they average about what every team averages 1-2 loses a year to teams they shouldn't lose to.  This is no excuse for Gus.  The LSU loss was inexcusable.  Plus his personality is wearing on the fan base, his inability to really hit a homerun recruiting on the offensive side of the ball.  Sure we have had 5 star players commit but they have been bad apples or tweener types.  How a team like AU can lose out recruiting battles for running backs to UGA, bammer, and LSU on a consistent basis is mind blowing.  And his record vs quality teams

I totally respect your opinion but this reads like we have not had good running backs.? No?

I am not debating anyone here.  I hear folks say, we can't find a better option, give Gus another year, debating what defines humiliation....yada yada yada

Gus has trends:

1. He never knows what he has offensively until game 3-5.  For $5 mil/yr we get that?  Horrible value.

2.  Gus has lost his nerve and coaches so conservatively he can't win easily winnable games in which he has big leads!  UGA scored 28 points in 2013 in the 3/4 Qtrs alone.  We all know about LSU this year and there are others - UGA last year even.  

3.  Recruiting against the UGA, bama, UF type programs does require some swagger and sizzle.  Sorry but running it up the middle on 1st down all the time does not win games nor land recruits.  The problems are all related and the HC is accountable.  (No debate about play callers or how Gus can't recruit/develop a QB)

3B.  When you consistently lose to your top rivals (LSU, bama, UGA), you lose the recruiting battles and the fan base.  

4.  No more excuses!  The #1 excuse 2 yrs ago was we need a QB.   The #1 excuse last year after we had a QB was, our QB isn't durable enough.  The #2 excuse was we got bit by the injury bug.   FOLKS - we have a top 5-8 Defense in the NATION.  And Gus uses them like a checker piece in a game of chess.  We have the #1 Juco player in the NATION in Stidham.  Gus ran an injured Pettway 30+ times against Mercer b/c he couldn't scheme how to beat them?   

5.  The pieces are there:  the best kicker in the nation most likely, the best or 2nd best Def in the SEC, one of the top QBs in the SEC and the most experienced OL in the nation.   

The are the facts and they are indisputable.  

I for one, do not accept this and call it "Auburn Football."

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

I am not debating anyone here.  I hear folks say, we can't find a better option, give Gus another year, debating what defines humiliation....yada yada yada

Gus has trends:

1. He never knows what he has offensively until game 3-5.  For $5 mil/yr we get that?  Horrible value.

2.  Gus has lost his nerve and coaches so conservatively he can't win easily winnable games in which he has big leads!  UGA scored 28 points in 2013 in the 3/4 Qtrs alone.  We all know about LSU this year and there are others - UGA last year even.  

3.  Recruiting against the UGA, bama, UF type programs does require some swagger and sizzle.  Sorry but running it up the middle on 1st down all the time does not win games nor land recruits.  The problems are all related and the HC is accountable.  (No debate about play callers or how Gus can't recruit/develop a QB)

3B.  When you consistently lose to your top rivals (LSU, bama, UGA), you lose the recruiting battles and the fan base.  

4.  No more excuses!  The #1 excuse 2 yrs ago was we need a QB.   The #1 excuse last year after we had a QB was, our QB isn't durable enough.  The #2 excuse was we got bit by the injury bug.   FOLKS - we have a top 5-8 Defense in the NATION.  And Gus uses them like a checker piece in a game of chess.  We have the #1 Juco player in the NATION in Stidham.  Gus ran an injured Pettway 30+ times against Mercer b/c he couldn't scheme how to beat them?   

5.  The pieces are there:  the best kicker in the nation most likely, the best or 2nd best Def in the SEC, one of the top QBs in the SEC and the most experienced OL in the nation.   

The are the facts and they indisputable.  

I have no idea why Auburn people have more loyalty to Gus than they do Auburn. It is always about next year with Gus. Next year is the year they always say. Next year is the year he will figure it out. Next year is when he truly gives up playcalling. All it is is a bunch of lies like usual which is all Gus does to us.

If gus is the head coach next year I know losses at bama and georgia are guaranteed. He will be outclassed masterfully by Chris Petersen in the opener. So that is 3 losses already out of the gate. Knowing gus and his track record there will be 1 or 2 more losses to get to his favorite record of 8-4 or 7-5.

3 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Gus has trends:

The are the facts and they are indisputable.  

Look man, you are not a true Auburn man. You don’t understand. Gus is a nice guy and he is the anti-saban. We didn’t hire Gus to win games, we hired him to be a good guy and wear sweater vests. Just you wait til next year. He’ll show ya...

Look man, you are not a true Auburn man. You don’t understand. Gus is a nice guy and he is the anti-saban. We didn’t hire Gus to win games, we hired him to be a good guy and wear sweater vests. Just you wait til next year. He’ll show ya...

OTP, I tell you what now I am getting pretty pissed off at the excuse OHHHHH this is a horrible time to hire a coach or Who can we get that is better?!?! THAT IS THE WORST EXCUSE OUT THERE YOU CAN USE about not making a change. If someone deserves to be fired and is incompetent then he should go regardless of who may or may not be out there and the circumstances surrounding a search. I swear no fanbase is more scared of the unknown and more content to wallow in mediocrity than Auburn fans. 0-8 vs our 2 biggest rivals who we measure ourselves against in the last 4 years which is very likely after this year is unacceptable and should immediately be a fireable offense.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

OTP, I tell you what now I am getting pretty pissed off at the excuse OHHHHH this is a horrible time to hire a coach or Who can we get that is better?!?! THAT IS THE WORST EXCUSE OUT THERE YOU CAN USE about not making a change. If someone deserves to be fired and is incompetent then he should go regardless of who may or may not be out there and the circumstances surrounding a search. I swear no fanbase is more scared of the unknown and more content to wallow in mediocrity than Auburn fans. 0-8 vs our 2 biggest rivals who we measure ourselves against in the last 4 years which is very likely after this year is unacceptable and should immediately be a fireable offense.

GWill - I am 99.9% sure he was kidding..  Surely.  Nobody would really type that mess and mean it.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Its a horrible excuse but they’re running out of ideas to protect Gus.

Just now, Beaker said:

GWill - I am 99.9% sure he was kidding..

lol I know he is. I am just talking to him about the OTHER Auburn fans.

Just now, OnthePlains said:

Its a horrible excuse but they’re running out of ideas to protect Gus.

but he is a nice guy!! pretty soon at the end of november that is all they will have. I truly do not think people will ever be able to kick the gus habit. He will never have a chizik like 3-9 meltdown which means there will be some people who will never want him fired no matter how many big games he "coaches" us to a loss.

I’m tellin yall just wait til Gus’s 9th year. He will put it all together.

I swear man they are treading dangerously close to wanting us to be Iowa and keeping around a 7-5 coach, 8-4 coach most years  for almost 2 decades. 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

I swear man they are treading dangerously to wanting us to being Iowa and keeping around a 7-5 coach, 8-4 coach most years  for almost 2 decades. 

Yeah I don’t get it but at this point all we can do is let the season play out and see where we are. If he somehow figures out a way to split bama and uga then he will be back and we can look forward to 7-5 next year.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

If gus is the head coach next year I know losses at bama and georgia are guaranteed. He will be outclassed masterfully by Chris Petersen in the opener. So that is 3 losses already out of the gate. Knowing gus and his track record there will be 1 or 2 more losses to get to his favorite record of 8-4 or 7-5.

Thanks, I forgot we played Washington next season. Now I feel better. :no:

I said this in the other thread about our next head coach.  Folks need to quit talking about Matt Campbell. He has a $9.6 mil buyout, which is way too much for an unproven head coach.  I agree that he does appear to be good, but it is just not realistic to expect AU to cough up that kind of money. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

JMO but AU is in a very bad recruiting region....surrounded by powerhouse football programs...bama, UGa, FSU and Fla and maybe UT, to the north.   We mostly recruit inside the open spaces between those schools and then try to steal a few from what ought to be their territories.  

Not many people are going to agree with me I expect, but seems that AU recruits quite well considering we are not the #1 school in any part of our prime recruiting region.   The big State Name universities dominate the media all around us and our coaches have a lot to overcome.  JMO

Auburn is and has always been the standard for non-state U schools.  FSU had a run, Clemson has had a run, Pitt way back in the day was alright Okie State has come on a little lately but Auburn has and will always be the standard.  I love the fact that we don’t have the built in advantages.  It was always part of the appeal for me.  I believe in hard work.  

But 64 we may have some disadvantages but we are also within 4 hours of more then enough talent to have great teams year in and year out.

No one is defending Gus anymore.  Just discussing if it’s the right time or not.  I care into the season with 10-2 being the low point.  Anything below that was failure.  He’s as close to failing as can possibly be looking ahead in the schedule. He goes 9-3 and loses a respectable game to bama and I still think he should be gone.  But if he were 7-5 I’d still wonder where a coaching upgrade was to be found.  It’s just one of those unknowns

15 minutes ago, corchjay said:

No one is defending Gus anymore.  Just discussing if it’s the right time or not.  I care into the season with 10-2 being the low point.  Anything below that was failure.  He’s as close to failing as can possibly be looking ahead in the schedule. He goes 9-3 and loses a respectable game to bama and I still think he should be gone.  But if he were 7-5 I’d still wonder where a coaching upgrade was to be found.  It’s just one of those unknowns

if he is 9-3 and at least beats GA, he will stay. The only way he goes is if we are bringing in a new AD with the intent of changing the football coach too.

I think regardless if we think we are not getting an upgrade with a new coach, it does one thing that most of our new coaches provided. A fresh start and a history of early energy and success. Bowden, Gus, and even Chizik brought us a 20 game winning streak (on probation), a shot at a NC, and a National Championship in their first 2 years.

So, even if we feel we dont' get a homerun hire, we tend to be in play for an SEC Championship and NC. After those first 2-3 years, then we evaluate if we made a great hire. 

3 hours ago, Grumps said:

But isn't Auburn's talent level right now about as high as it has ever been? Of all of the complaints about Gus, lack of recruiting ability shouldn't be one of them.

I fear you are about, (edit), are in the process of seeing that change right before your eyes. I can't predict whether Gus is retained, or not. What I am going to predict is if retained, this will be his most underwhelming recruiting class this year by far. If Dumb coaching, and inexplicable ineptness doesn't spell his demise, this ultimately will.

Archived