2017 NCAAF Coaches' Salaries

Elephant Tipper

21 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Jimbo Fisher has a $39m buyout.   Does that mean that Jimbo Fisher won't be Auburn's next coach?  (sarcasm)

39 million?????????? Are you serious Clark?  

Thanks for the link.....very interesting:

And check the buyouts of most coaches on many AU fan's wish list......pretty much can drop them from the conversation though Scott Frost looks affordable.

Gus among the also rans....not even close to most coaches who are well into double digits .....and how did Lovie Smith hook Illinois for more than $16.000,000 ?

That's why I laugh at people who complain about the buyouts JJ has given coaches. It's not like he's the buyout brainchild. Most programs do it, and many give their coaches much higher buyouts than what we've given Chizik and Malzahn.

James Franklin and Kirby Smart will probably be getting nice bumps before 2018.
Has any coach made more money and done less than Kirk Ferentz at Iowa? 

10 minutes ago, CR said:

James Franklin and Kirby Smart will probably be getting nice bumps before 2018.
Has any coach made more money and done less than Kirk Ferentz at Iowa? 

Had a 12-1 season a couple years back and really sank the hook didn't he ?

No college coach should be making $2 million.  No concession stand coke should cost $5.75.  No game should cost $45 per ticket.  Parking shouldn't be $20 for a car a mile from the stadium.  Supply and demand I suppose.  Player shouldn't be paid.  

But we are here talking about 30-40 million dollars for a coach over a 7-10 year period.  That's absolutely crazy and here I was coaching 1 sport and helping with 2 others making 6K extra a year. 

11 hours ago, AU64 said:

Had a 12-1 season a couple years back and really sank the hook didn't he ?

He has been there 1999.  Oddly enough, he has more seasons with 10 or more wins than Tuberville, Chizik, and Gus combined.

9 hours ago, corchjay said:

No college coach should be making $2 million.  No concession stand coke should cost $5.75.  No game should cost $45 per ticket.  Parking shouldn't be $20 for a car a mile from the stadium.  Supply and demand I suppose.  Player shouldn't be paid.  

But we are here talking about 30-40 million dollars for a coach over a 7-10 year period.  That's absolutely crazy and here I was coaching 1 sport and helping with 2 others making 6K extra a year. 

While I agree with you, give Jimmy Sexton credit for doing the job that coaches pay him to do.  Head coaches, coordinators, and position coaches are all making out like bandits in college football.  Auburn is paying Kodi Burns $350,000.  Let that one sink in.

51 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

He has been there 1999.  Oddly enough, he has more seasons with 10 or more wins than Tuberville, Chizik, and Gus combined.

They have been patient through the not so good years and given him a chance to recover ....but he's been on the hot seat several times (including now I think) and managed to get off of it.  Since Stoops left Oklahoma I think he is the longest tenured currently active coach in his current job.  Looks like they intend to keep him.

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

They have been patient through the not so good years and given him a chance to recover ....but he's been on the hot seat several times (including now I think) and managed to get off of it.  Since Stoops left Oklahoma I think he is the longest tenured currently active coach in his current job.  Looks like they intend to keep him.

His teams are generally mediocre, with the occasional really good season (or the string of them like 2002-2004).  That is probably the best that Iowa can realistically expect.  Considering their recruiting, I think he does rather well.  I have a difficult time believing that Iowa will consistently crack into the top 20 in recruiting any time soon.

8 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

His teams are generally mediocre, with the occasional really good season (or the string of them like 2002-2004).  That is probably the best that Iowa can realistically expect.  Considering their recruiting, I think he does rather well.  I have a difficult time believing that Iowa will consistently crack into the top 20 in recruiting any time soon.

Every now and then he nails a couple good players...and they do well when he has a good QB....Chuck Long or somebody like that?   ...And it helps if the rest of the Big 10 is down.  With the step up in Big 10 coaches now, he's gonna have a much harder time getting to 8 or 9  wins IMO. but I didn't see which side of the conference he is in...looks like the eastern half is stronger by quite a bit.

34 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Every now and then he nails a couple good players...and they do well when he has a good QB....Chuck Long or somebody like that?   ...And it helps if the rest of the Big 10 is down.  With the step up in Big 10 coaches now, he's gonna have a much harder time getting to 8 or 9  wins IMO. but I didn't see which side of the conference he is in...looks like the eastern half is stronger by quite a bit.

Iowa is in the weaker division, where the only consistently good team is Wisconsin.  If Iowa wants better results from Ferentz or anyone else, recruiting will have to improve substantially, and I am not sure how much it realistically can.  Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Penn State can go into Iowa and get any player they want, whereas Iowa cannot do that in or out of state.  That said, I do not think Ferentz is the coach that will ever lead a great leap forward in recruiting for them.

Bielema getting $4 + million in salary, with a  almost $6 million buyout? 

I guess it is good to know there are AD’s even more stupid than ours.

I mean they are paying this moron over $4 million a year and will have to pay him almost $6 million to get rid of him, and he’s winless in the SEC with no real signs to improve next year. Almost makes me feel bad for the hogs. Almost.

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

Bielema getting $4 + million in salary, with a  almost $6 million buyout? 

I guess it is good to know there are AD’s even more stupid than ours.

I mean they are paying this moron over $4 million a year and will have to pay him almost $6 million to get rid of him, and he’s winless in the SEC with no real signs to improve next year. Almost makes me feel bad for the hogs. Almost.

Actually Gus is one of the lowest buyouts of the P5 coaches . It is in no way a deal breaker, neither was it last year if JJwould have had the stones to can him then. Now JJ wilL look back and wished he would have.

With all the issues in the AD right now, JJ is looking back and wishing a lot of things right now... I don't think firing a coach that got us to the Sugar Bowl (whether we backed into it or not) is one of them.

8 hours ago, Strychnine said:

Iowa is in the weaker division, where the only consistently good team is Wisconsin.  If Iowa wants better results from Ferentz or anyone else, recruiting will have to improve substantially, and I am not sure how much it realistically can.  Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Penn State can go into Iowa and get any player they want, whereas Iowa cannot do that in or out of state.  That said, I do not think Ferentz is the coach that will ever lead a great leap forward in recruiting for them.

No need for him to do anything more than what he is doing now....got the ideal situation....moderate opportunities and reasonable expectations from their fans. ...and very well paid.  

Archived