TCU at Iowa State

AUwent

3 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Wow, We’d likely be top 5 next week if not for the LSU debacle ?

Instead Iowa State may get ranked higher than us.....let that sink in. 

1 minute ago, wdefromtx said:

Instead Iowa State may get ranked higher than us.....let that sink in. 

And they don’t even have Seneca Wallace. Lol

16 hours ago, around4ever said:

You have to feel good for their QB, Kyle Kempt.  If you didn't see his story on Gameday, here it is. 

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21192917

What a story. Some people just shine brighter when the stage lights come on. Stories like this is why I love college football/ sports. 

On 10/28/2017 at 5:56 PM, AUwent said:

^Thanks Gus! Moron.

Any Campbell doubters now?

Absolutely. Still lost to a losing Texas program at home (that Herman was supposed to turn around immediately speaking of the stars), plus I learned my lesson on believing and doubting quickly with Terry Bowden long time ago.

Need more than a win vs Oklahoma under a new coach and TCU to get me to spend 6 million plus to get rid of someone and offer this guy the keys and the open checkbook.

^And if he beats WV sand Okie St?

Just sayin’. OU and TCU are damn good teams (I know to some people a team being in a different conference automatically makes them overrated).

Seriously though I do understand natural paranoia. We are Auburn after all. I will say, however, that this guy already has a more impressive resume than our last four coaches have prior to coming here.

Won't be enough. Gets the benefit of playing Oklahoma State the week after Bedlam for one. Also, and probably even more important, WVU will be going with their back up Mountain Man again due to a recent DUI:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/28/dui-arrest-will-sideline-west-virginias-main-mountaineer-mascot-indefinitely/

How many people thought Terry Bowden was the real thing when he was a 16 point underdog, going into the Swamp against #1 UF, and used the tight end to exploit them? I was there, fun game.

Take that 6 million dollar buyout and give full scholarships to all the other Auburn athletes that only get partial. Don't renew or extend the man's contract. Then if he is still failing at contracts end remove him, or let some other team buy him out prior to that.

I'm not paranoid. I'm just at a point in life I guess where I'd rather Auburn not spend 6 million to get rid of someone for dreams or unknowns. As I said elsewhere, I have really begun to enjoy college football again since I left Alabama.

It is sad when I had more fun at a Texas game that they lost than at a game my alma mater won at home, and it was because of the people.

7 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I'd rather Auburn not spend 6 million

6 million is nothing to Auburn, so I don't see that holding anything back.

I thought we wanted Gary Patterson?!  Now we want Matt Campbell?  How about Bobby Petrino?  He's an offensive genius....imagine what he could do with a Heisman Trophy-caliber QB....no one could stop that offense!  Jimbo Fisher? One of the greatest recruiters around....quality QB's and offensive linemen would be plentiful!

As someone mentioned in another post, going back as far as Shug, AU coaches have a winning percentage of about 66% to 72% (Tater Tot was the highest....but he left mid-season and likely would have fallen in line with the others).  This includes Pat Dye, Tubs, etc.  Gus is what?  67% now?  If 2017 ends at 8-4; he'd still be 66%.  Not sure that's worth spending $6 to $12 million to buy him out and the next guy out at his current school. 

12 hours ago, kd4au said:

6 million is nothing to Auburn, so I don't see that holding anything back.

Excellent. Then they should have no trouble taking care of the rest of my student loans then.

I don't care if its nothing to Auburn or not and rather the money go elsewhere within the university. I'm tired of having a platoon of ex-coaches on the payroll. Go check your local Bama fan for their favorite joke on that. That is pretty embarrassing to me.

I would also like to see an end to this whole contract extension for everything thing coaches get these days. Worse than participation trophies. You won a mid level bowl? Congrats here is 3 more years. Beat your rival once? Congrats 3 more years?

Make em work the contract and in the final year make a decision. Deal with the fact they might get stolen, they might leave on their own, but stop making it where if a change is needed it is some ridicules number to get out of.

8 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Excellent. Then they should have no trouble taking care of the rest of my student loans then.

I don't care if its nothing to Auburn or not and rather the money go elsewhere within the university. I'm tired of having a platoon of ex-coaches on the payroll. Go check your local Bama fan for their favorite joke on that. That is pretty embarrassing to me.

I would also like to see an end to this whole contract extension for everything thing coaches get these days. Worse than participation trophies. You won a mid level bowl? Congrats here is 3 more years. Beat your rival once? Congrats 3 more years?

Make em work the contract and in the final year make a decision. Deal with the fact they might get stolen, they might leave on their own, but stop making it where if a change is needed it is some ridicules number to get out of.

Can't disagree with the philosophy but the reality is that if we are going to play power 5 football, you have to do what everyone else does.  

Might as well say that we should cancel the stadium upgrades.....which costs ten times what we are on the hook for with the contract buyouts.   If it's not Gus, you are not going to get a replacement coach without a long term deal...especially at AU which has a reputation for firing coaches on a whim.   I take it you looked at the list of salaries and buyout someone posted on this site elsewhere....AU's current buyout obligation is among the lowest for major football schools. 

26 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I have felt for a long time that coaches should be paid for the wins that they have. You don't hire them to lose do why pay them for losses. You want to make 4 million then you can have 400,000 per win and if you win 10 games you make 4 million. You can bonus them on more than 10 wins + Conf. Championships and bowls. I don't want to hear excuses about injuries either. Every player on the field is subject to injury when the ball is snapped. Get your backups ready to go. I am sick of coaches making the money they make getting the results some of them get. A lot of people work on commission. You sell, you get paid. Why can't coaches? You win, you get paid. 

18 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I'm right there with you on the contracts with heavy incentives and not a big base salary.

17 hours ago, gr82be said:

I have felt for a long time that coaches should be paid for the wins that they have. You don't hire them to lose do why pay them for losses. You want to make 4 million then you can have 400,000 per win and if you win 10 games you make 4 million. You can bonus them on more than 10 wins + Conf. Championships and bowls. I don't want to hear excuses about injuries either. Every player on the field is subject to injury when the ball is snapped. Get your backups ready to go. I am sick of coaches making the money they make getting the results some of them get. A lot of people work on commission. You sell, you get paid. Why can't coaches? You win, you get paid. 

What happens when the opponents have a “you get paid regardless” system and we have a “you win, you get paid” system?  The coaches will go elsewhere where it’s easier to make the same amount of money. 

52 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

What happens when the opponents have a “you get paid regardless” system and we have a “you win, you get paid” system?  The coaches will go elsewhere where it’s easier to make the same amount of money. 

I'm obviously not going to be in charge of those decisions but it would only work if it was done across the board. It can't be cafeteria style. It's got to be the standard which would never happen. 

On 10/30/2017 at 12:41 AM, Texan4Auburn said:

Won't be enough. Gets the benefit of playing Oklahoma State the week after Bedlam for one. Also, and probably even more important, WVU will be going with their back up Mountain Man again due to a recent DUI:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/28/dui-arrest-will-sideline-west-virginias-main-mountaineer-mascot-indefinitely/

How many people thought Terry Bowden was the real thing when he was a 16 point underdog, going into the Swamp against #1 UF, and used the tight end to exploit them? I was there, fun game.

You’re comparing players recruited by Patrick F. Dye (let the F stand for what you want it to ;) ) to players recruited at Iowa State, a team that has gotten to the seven win mark once from 2006-2016.

On 10/31/2017 at 4:09 PM, AUwent said:

You’re comparing players recruited by Patrick F. Dye (let the F stand for what you want it to ;) ) to players recruited at Iowa State, a team that has gotten to the seven win mark once from 2006-2016.

You mean those players that went 5-6 and 5-5-1 and putting up ties against Arkansas, and got more than 1 SEC win cause fortunately Vandy (one by two points) was on the schedule, and powered through by 1 point at home against SW Louisiana for the V, and were 1-5 in there last 6 vs Alabama and Georgia?

I guess you could say he is 2-1 against Bowden, but in all 3 games he had the superior team. So using your logic, do we really want someone that has to have superior talent to beat Terry Bowden and even then it isn't 100%?

So I'm still not gonna label this guy the savior of Auburn and back up trucks of money to his home cause he is having one good year at Iowa State.

On 10/30/2017 at 8:41 PM, AU64 said:

Can't disagree with the philosophy but the reality is that if we are going to play power 5 football, you have to do what everyone else does.  

Might as well say that we should cancel the stadium upgrades.....which costs ten times what we are on the hook for with the contract buyouts.   If it's not Gus, you are not going to get a replacement coach without a long term deal...especially at AU which has a reputation for firing coaches on a whim.   I take it you looked at the list of salaries and buyout someone posted on this site elsewhere....AU's current buyout obligation is among the lowest for major football schools. 

I know it won't change, would be nice. College football is basically an arms race now.

Archived