SEC Fines Auburn $250,000

WarTiger

Fans rushing the field is costing Auburn $250,000.   But I doubt anybody is worried about it.  WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!!

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/SEC-fines-Auburn-250K-for-rushing-field-after-Iron-Bowl-111112137

SEC fines Auburn $250K for rushing field after Iron Bowl

The celebration was probably well worth it to Auburn.

6_7891378.jpg
Auburn fans rush the field following a 26-14 victory against No. 1 Alabama on Nov. 25, 2017. (Photo: Adam Hagy, USA TODAY Sports)

AUBURN, Alabama — Parties are not free in the SEC.

The conference office fined Auburn $250,000 for rushing the field following its 26-14 victory against No. 1 Alabama on Saturday. The announcement was made within two hours of the game ending with Auburn fans rushing the field to celebrate the first victory in the Iron Bowl since 2013.

The "offense" is Auburn's third since 2004, when the SEC placed the fine structure in place. Fans rushing the playing surface results in a step-by-step fine structure. Auburn was last fined when fans rushed the field following its Kick Six victory in the 2013 Iron Bowl.

Auburn fans rushed the court following a victory against Kentucky in men's basketball in 2016.

“The conference has unanimously approved a policy requiring fines be applied when spectators enter the playing field after a game,” SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said in a statement. “Fans are expected to remain in the stands and avoid the safety concerns associated with rushing on to the playing field. We want exciting experiences around SEC games, but also seek to maintain a safe environment for student-athletes, coaches, spectators and officials.”

Institutional penalties range from $50,000 for a first offense to fines of up to $100,000 for a second offense and up to $250,000 for a third and subsequent offenses.

I know this is met with quite a bit of disdain, but fans do NOT belong on the field or any other playing surface in any sport.   Unfortunately fines don't stop this and there's not really  much they can do to stop it.   No amount of PA announcing is going to stop this from happening regardless of where it happens.

6 minutes ago, AUFlyer99 said:

Wish this would stop.  Act like we've been there before.  

We have....

I agree . The kick six deserved it. This game was really not in doubt at all . I did t see the need to rush the field after beating ua . AU is a better team . Just had to prove it

I agree though, for everybody's safety it's best to not rush the field.  I was cringing when some of the fans were getting stuck in the hedges with all that pushing.  Someone is bound to get hurt.

Give me a break.  It's not like the old days when they tore down the goal posts.  That's a pretty civil crowd...got a better chance of getting run over going home than getting hurt jumping the fence.  And as for acting like you've been there?  Most of those kids haven't.

I say let the fans enjoy the moment....A $250,000.00 fine is ridiculous IMHO. Anyhow, we have bigger fish to fry and will devour the dogs next Saturday.

From what I saw, kids were helping each other thru the shrubs and there was line to get to the steps - it was quite orderly.  My son got onto the field and it was not chaotic, but like more like a reunion with strangers hugging and high fiving.

As stated, goal posts aren't coming down and Auburn fans acted like "family".

We have never beaten #1 twice in 3 weeks - it's celebration worthy.

I always say I want bama undefeated until we beat them, worth it and goodness knows with ticket prices for this game alone they can pay it.

I can see both sides of the issue and I actually don't mind the kids going on the field. But there is only one thing I don't like. I had noticed  for the Georgia game that the hedges were almost fully grown back from 2013 and looking nice. Now they are trampled all over again. We need to have enough security to let them have fun on a special occasion but KEEP THEM OUT OF THE HEDGES.

Have they changed the hedges since the 90s? When I was there, they grew thorn bushes inside of them with 2-3 inch thorns to deter people getting into them.

2 minutes ago, AUFlyer99 said:

Believe it or not, I saw people wearing crimpsun running into the field when I was watching a replay.  

Those are the ones that the cops with billy clubs should wail on.  I had to bail my brother out of Orleans Parrish central lock up after the '83 Sugar Bowl for going on the field.  A couple of his buddies got the short end of the stick when they resisted.

1 minute ago, tiger88 said:

Wow. What a waste of money. 

As previously mentioned, it’s a lot less than we thought we were gonna have to pay six weeks ago.

Somebody with some knowledge let me know. Isn't 250K for a university like ours, chump change...? Tim Cook or not, I feel like with all the revenue our school brings in from athletics & academies that 250K is nothing. Like Caleb1116 said...cheaper than a buyout 

9 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I agree . The kick six deserved it. This game was really not in doubt at all . I did t see the need to rush the field after beating ua . AU is a better team . Just had to prove it

This. If it's a win off a crazy play or comeback against the #1 team then sure. However, handling a team the entirety of a game is a statement alone.

My best understanding of it is that we have had such a topsy turvy year that it's quite unbelievable where we're currently at.

7 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

I can see both sides of the issue and I actually don't mind the kids going on the field. But there is only one thing I don't like. I had noticed  for the Georgia game that the hedges were almost fully grown back from 2013 and looking nice. Now they are trampled all over again. We need to have enough security to let them have fun on a special occasion but KEEP THEM OUT OF THE HEDGES.

FYI - the “security” was helping pull people over the wall and the cops opened the gates (probably to help the flow of traffic). 

Hubby and I hopped over the fence  - since he is a former lawncare owner, we didn’t dare jump the hedges. 

Archived