Update on Arkansas HC search

aubiefifty

22 minutes ago, AURex said:

My memory is not what it used to be, but if I remember correctly, CGM has had one 1-year extension and no substantive salary increase since 2013. Maybe that was justified in the minds of JJ, but that is the ONLY reason I think CGM would even listen to a pig offer. But I really can't imagine him going there. He would have zero chance of competitiveness there. And the same for Tennessee.

Personally, I'd be much more concerned about FSU coming after him -- and him being very open to that move, taking some of his coaching staff with him. I've got no sources saying that is in the works, just a little irritating nervousness.

Man, THERE'S a twist!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, my opinion is that if Gus had not hired Chip Lindsey we could very well be wrapping up another mediocre season in the 7-5 to 8-4 win loss column. I think Chip has been the X factor with this season being a solid success. 

I have given a lot of thought with this and think that if Gus goes, we should strongly consider giving Coach Lindsey  the nod as the new HC. Some will strongly disagree with this, but Chip has had enough significant years as a college OC. He was a successful OC at Southern Miss, and did a good job at Arizona State. He did have one season where his Arizona State team had a significant amount of injuries and his numbers dropped that season.

From what I have seen, Chip has been the difference maker among the offensive coaching staff. Coordinators have made a very successful transition from OC to HC.

1. Dan Mullen (OC Florida to HC MSU & now UF)

2. Kirby Smart (DC to HC Uga)

3. Mark Stoops (DC at FSU to HC UK)

4. Derrick Mason (DC Stanford to HC Vandy)

5. Joe Moorehead (OC PSU to HC MSU)

6. Jimbo Fisher (OC LSU to coach in waiting to coach at FSU now TAMU)

Not every OC, DC, that made the jump has  been successful, and that is expected from time to time.  I think if GUS takes too many Arkansas dumbass pills and moves to the land of cousins marrying cousins, maybe Chip should be given the opportunity to show his coaching prowess. If Gus leaves, I would hope the next HC if it is not Chip would retain Chip as his OC along with Coach Steele.

My gut tells me we keep Gus, give him a sweet contract, and let him coach us for years to come and win some championships along the way. He will rarely have the opportunity to compete for SEC and national titles if he goes to Arkansas. I think he knows this and knows he has what he needs to succeed at Auburn now. It will take years for him if at all it happens to build up enough talent to win at Arkansas. He can count on losing 3-6 games yearly at Arkansas. He has what he needs talent wise and coaching wise currently at Auburn, and would be foolish to throw it all away for a chance to wallow in the pig sty in Fayetteville. 

Doc....I think Gus is a better coach than you give him credit for.....and if you look at the pool of available coaches I'd like to know who might come in and even match what Gus has done....much less do better.

Arky has really been quiet during all the recent coaching mayhem....makes me think that they have their man....

I don’t think he is going anywhere but he is entertaining Arkansas to get every penny he can out of Auburn. Coaches do it every year. I personally believe he has turned the corner as a head coach. One thing I’ve noticed is he no longer says “we” when referring to specific game planning. What I mean by that is he says “Chip came up with a great game plan” or “Chip had been working on this for a couple weeks” as opposed to the past couple of seasons when he says “we”. He also saw the writing on the wall in 13 and 14 when he had great offenses and poor defenses, he invested  more into the defensive side of the ball and it paid off but seemed to take away from his offensive proficiency. Now that it seems Malzahn has developed consistency on both sides he is finally taking a step back and allowing both his coordinators to do their jobs. 

13 minutes ago, Piketiger1990 said:

I don’t think he is going anywhere but he is entertaining Arkansas to get every penny he can out of Auburn. Coaches do it every year. I personally believe he has turned the corner as a head coach. 

Probably correct ........although this does not strike me as Gus's style ......but I guess Sexton is doing the arm twisting....

3 hours ago, doc4aday said:

You know, my opinion is that if Gus had not hired Chip Lindsey we could very well be wrapping up another mediocre season in the 7-5 to 8-4 win loss column. I think Chip has been the X factor with this season being a solid success. 

I have given a lot of thought with this and think that if Gus goes, we should strongly consider giving Coach Lindsey  the nod as the new HC. Some will strongly disagree with this, but Chip has had enough significant years as a college OC. He was a successful OC at Southern Miss, and did a good job at Arizona State. He did have one season where his Arizona State team had a significant amount of injuries and his numbers dropped that season.

From what I have seen, Chip has been the difference maker among the offensive coaching staff. Coordinators have made a very successful transition from OC to HC.

1. Dan Mullen (OC Florida to HC MSU & now UF)

2. Kirby Smart (DC to HC Uga)

3. Mark Stoops (DC at FSU to HC UK)

4. Derrick Mason (DC Stanford to HC Vandy)

5. Joe Moorehead (OC PSU to HC MSU)

6. Jimbo Fisher (OC LSU to coach in waiting to coach at FSU now TAMU)

Not every OC, DC, that made the jump has  been successful, and that is expected from time to time.  I think if GUS takes too many Arkansas dumbass pills and moves to the land of cousins marrying cousins, maybe Chip should be given the opportunity to show his coaching prowess. If Gus leaves, I would hope the next HC if it is not Chip would retain Chip as his OC along with Coach Steele.

My gut tells me we keep Gus, give him a sweet contract, and let him coach us for years to come and win some championships along the way. He will rarely have the opportunity to compete for SEC and national titles if he goes to Arkansas. I think he knows this and knows he has what he needs to succeed at Auburn now. It will take years for him if at all it happens to build up enough talent to win at Arkansas. He can count on losing 3-6 games yearly at Arkansas. He has what he needs talent wise and coaching wise currently at Auburn, and would be foolish to throw it all away for a chance to wallow in the pig sty in Fayetteville. 

Rarely have the opportunity? Try never.

Nobody leaves Auburn to coach elsewhere. The last head football coach to leave Auburn for another coaching job was John Heisman. That was 118 years ago. Auburn coaches retire, get fired or on one case (Mike Donahue) they take an athletic director job. But they don't leave AU for another coaching job. There's nowhere to go in coaching from here but down. Gus will be here until he retires or gets fired and neither of those things is going to happen very soon. Relax.

curious to see who the porker

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:57 PM, AU64 said:

Doc....I think Gus is a better coach than you give him credit for.....and if you look at the pool of available coaches I'd like to know who might come in and even match what Gus has done....much less do better.

Arky has really been quiet during all the recent coaching mayhem....makes me think that they have their man....

You are right; Gus is the best coach for us and will provide stability for years to come.

Their eye is on Mike Norvell right now...links in another post, another thread. ?

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

Their eye is on Mike Norvell right now...links in another post, another thread. ?

Yeah Sounds like it's down to Norvell, Morris and Kiffin. Who knows if any of this is true but it's what I'm reading on various boards:

Morris apparently had an amazing interview. They like his extensive connections in Texas and high school and college coaches have really recommended him. Jerry Jones pushing for him.

They also like Norvell and he interviewed well but they worry about his ability to put together a good staff.

Kiffin is where the biggest divide is. Some love him and some hate him. They worry about him off the field after what happened with Petrino. He spent some of his childhood in Arkansas when Monte was an assistant coach though.

If they want to compete, better hire Morris... Norvell I do like, but Morris is 10x better.. hell I'd Offer Miles. Most of all AU fans hate him, but I like Les. I hope he gets the UT job. Love to see him get them back to ATL playing AU for conference title.

4 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Kiffin in the SEC would drive little nick CRAZY and that would please me, so any school willing to do that, I am all for. Dilly Dilly.

Dilly Dilly!

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:11 PM, Mikey said:

Nobody leaves Auburn to coach elsewhere. The last head football coach to leave Auburn for another coaching job was John Heisman. That was 118 years ago. Auburn coaches retire, get fired or on one case (Mike Donahue) they take an athletic director job. But they don't leave AU for another coaching job. There's nowhere to go in coaching from here but down. Gus will be here until he retires or gets fired and neither of those things is going to happen very soon. Relax.

This is one fabulous homer post steeped in fact.

Arkansas: A tweet from Pete Thamel states a deal between the Razorbacks and Chad Morris is expected within the next 24hours. Read more on that, and the big name he’s targeting for his defensive coordinator spot here.

Sources tell us to expect Morris to target Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables for his defensive coordinator spot on staff. If Morris could land Venables, it would be huge news in the coaching world.

Morris would be a home run hire in my opinion.  I hope he  brings his OC, Joe Craddock from Briarwood Christian High School in Bham, with him.  

28 minutes ago, ausburn said:

Arkansas: A tweet from Pete Thamel states a deal between the Razorbacks and Chad Morris is expected within the next 24hours. Read more on that, and the big name he’s targeting for his defensive coordinator spot here.

Sources tell us to expect Morris to target Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables for his defensive coordinator spot on staff. If Morris could land Venables, it would be huge news in the coaching world.

Did you willingly bring Pete Thamel to the board or is this a sign of coerced distress?

Why the hell would Venerables move from Clemson DC to Arky DC lolol that is the funniest thing I read today seriously

9 hours ago, ausburn said:

Why would Venable make a lateral move from Clemson to Arkansas? Actually, it's not even a lateral move. Clemson is already on top with a chance to make it back to back national championships.

Not sure what the draw would be there for Venables but I highly doubt Arkansas will have the ability to pay $2 million plus for a coordinator. 

With that said Venables and Morris would be an interesting combination at Arkansas

Archived