Pettway is a mess

bigbird

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Thanks for the levity. You and @McLoofus's sense of humor is always appreciated.

If you want intelligent, well thought out discussion with facts to back it up, I'm usually a failure.

If you want stupid, sophomoric humor that adolescents enjoy, I'm your man!

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DAG said:

The rehab team job is not to monitor social behavior, although I will argue it is everyone job to monitor disruptive behaviors, especially if there is a trend .

I will monitor them, but only in a creepy way to where it takes the fun out of breaking the rules.

a0b7fea8b2e70202ebb1a8d6f825f759.gif

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

The thing I was most looking at was the fact that Pettway had a very successful season in 2016 with no talk of him being involved in off-the-field issues, at least none that I heard. Then, he got injured and had a lot of extra free time on his hands and went off the deep end. One thing to keep in mind is, part of what keeps some of these kids who have a propensity for trouble out of trouble is that they are too darn busy to be doing things they shouldn't (see the mission of after school programs and community centers), and they are expected to be certain places at certain times and perform at a certain level or face consequences. I imagine a good chunk of those expectations and consequences go away when they are hurt. 

He did begin the 2016 (and 2017) season suspended. Not sure what for. 

9 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Thanks for the levity. You and @McLoofus's sense of humor is always appreciated.

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

If you want intelligent, well thought out discussion with facts to back it up, I'm usually a failure.

If you want stupid, sophomoric humor that adolescents enjoy, I'm your man!

Image result for i'm your huckleberry gif

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Image result for i'm your huckleberry gif

OMG!  Top 5 movies (and characters) of all time!!!

20 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Makes me sad to hear that so many of you would rather wash your hands of someone that you spent all of 2016 praising than discuss how we might have been able to help him more than we were able to. I hope everyone involved in the football program is looking to see if there is anything more we can do to help kids like him.

You can't fix stupid.

6 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Not disagreeing or debating but would you rather hear: it’s an injury,  a personal issue, or a mental condition? Possibly saying it’s an injury, seems to protect the player a little more.

Possibly these issues, could be considered an injury anyway? 

Great question: first let me be clear, I am not speaking to the specifics of this case since I don’t know all of the facts. Generally speaking: Substance abuse is called an undisclosed medical issue with NO further details. Simply caught smoking weed is called a violation of team rules. Both are truthful but preserve the players privacy. 

27 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Makes me sad to hear that so many of you would rather wash your hands of someone that you spent all of 2016 praising than discuss how we might have been able to help him more than we were able to. I hope everyone involved in the football program is looking to see if there is anything more we can do to help kids like him.

Last summer both Kam Pettway and Sean White were receiving help for their issues. 

Pure mental gymnastics in this thread. The doubling down of arguing solely in an effort to win at verbosity is quite off-putting. I’m out of this stupidity. 

35 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

He did begin the 2016 (and 2017) season suspended. Not sure what for. 

I totally forgot about him being suspended game 1 of 2016. Man my memory is SO not what it used to be.

12 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Last summer both Kam Pettway and Sean White were receiving help for their issues. 

Good to hear.

22 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

You can't fix stupid.

But for some reason I keep trying... maybe that should tell me something...

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Makes me sad to hear that so many of you would rather wash your hands of someone that you spent all of 2016 praising than discuss how we might have been able to help him more than we were able to. 

Man, I hope that's not how you see it. I think it goes without saying that most people here want the best for players, and if there were a simple answer to your question of "how can we help players like Kam", then I'm sure we'd all be on board. These are player specific, fact sensitive issues and you are asking questions requiring facts that we don't have. Without those facts, the conversation gets driven into rank speculation and hypotheticals that inevitably lead to false assumptions and/or conclusions about the players and staff. 

And, speculating about how our offense can better utilize the middle of the field in the passing game is a far cry from questioning whether team doctors are breaching their duty of care to our players. 

I know you are coming from a good place, but this isn't a question of who cares about our players/program and who doesn't. Whether intended or not - a lot of your comments seem to be drawing that distinction where one doesn't exist. 

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Man, I hope that's not how you see it. I think it goes without saying that most people here want the best for players, and if there were a simple answer to your question of "how can we help players like Kam", then I'm sure we'd all be on board. These are player specific, fact sensitive issues and you are asking questions requiring facts that we don't have. Without those facts, the conversation gets driven into rank speculation and hypotheticals that inevitably lead to false assumptions and/or conclusions about the players and staff. 

And, speculating about how our offense can better utilize the middle of the field in the passing game is a far cry from questioning whether team doctors are breaching their duty of care to our players. 

I know you are coming from a good place, but this isn't a question of who cares about our players/program and who doesn't. Whether intended or not - a lot of your comments seem to be drawing that distinction where one doesn't exist. 

It's not how I feel most people are relating to the situation, but I certainly see a handful of verbal people who seem quite content to kick him while he's down. It's the usual suspects, so I shouldn't be surprised, but its still frustrating because Kam is an Auburn man and deserves better.

I hope you realize that I am not questioning whether the team doctors are breaching their duty of care, but am suggesting that when you have something like this happen twice, possibly 3 times in one season, that it is worth self evaluation to see if changes can be made to do better. Not doing so is the equivalent of saying "there's nothing we can do for guys like them", which is unacceptable to me.

For the record, I also know that I didn't phrase my initial comments well, and I have done what I can to right that wrong. 

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

See that word that YOU added. When I was speaking of "they" a was speaking of the medical staff/rehab team as a whole. You choose to read it as trainers. I would be the absolute last person to say we should let college kids, which a lot of trainers are, make those kinds of decisions on their own or tell a fellow college kid something like that. 

In your second example, the words used are "rehab team" as in team of people. You're twisting this just to create an argument.

On the contrary - I responded to your post.  SEE BELOW

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

From the little that passthebiscuits shared with me, I know that the trainers do feel like they are banging their head against the wall with some of these kids and I wonder if maybe they should be given the authority to say "get it together or get the heck out". I don't know, but I think it's worth a discussion. 

It's neither here nor there man, I had no intention of twisting your words that's just the way I read it context with the sentence/phrase.

At the end of the day, we can all agree that we all want Auburn athletics to be top notch and we ALL hate to see a young person go down the wrong path.  

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

At the end of the day, we can all agree that we all want Auburn athletics to be top notch and we ALL hate to see a young person go down the wrong path.  

This.  So much this.

4 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Great question: first let me be clear, I am not speaking to the specifics of this case since I don’t know all of the facts. Generally speaking: Substance abuse is called an undisclosed medical issue with NO further details. Simply caught smoking weed is called a violation of team rules. Both are truthful but preserve the players privacy. 

This is interesting and we need to remember next season that this is why Gus answers the way he answers. I always assumed that a medical issue was an injury. Hmmm. 

5 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I'd like to see these young men with issues such as these try to help themselves while others are trying to help them. I've never had a substance abuse issue so I'm not speaking on any experience here but there has to be accountability on the player to want to receive help. At some point, if they don't, then you have to wash your hands of them. You've made some great points in this thread and your hearts in the right place. In the end it's still the case of leading a horse to water but the horse must be thirsty or he won't drink it. 

On a serious note. If someone is seriously struggling with addiction, then “outing” them(much less, to a national audience) could be a terrible thing. There is this thing called anonymity, and ultimately it should be their choice to reveal this information and no one else’s. There are a million ways to enable an addict,  not releasing information about their condition isn’t one of them. Also, addiction is never as cut and dried as some people want it to be. It’s just not. 

All that said, I hope Pettway finds what he’s searching for.

Off soapbox

On 2/12/2018 at 5:50 PM, lionheartkc said:

Even with that being the case (which I did not know), they had it under control enough to both have solid seasons, Sean for 2 years and Kam for 1, but when they were sidelined from football, it got far enough out of control that it could have basically ended their careers. That tells me when a player is on the field, the coaches keep them in check, but when they aren't, they are allowed to spin out of control. Which is extra disturbing considering the dangers of mixing recreational drugs with pain meds.

I have no sympathy. If you want sympathy read the definition between $h!t and syphilis in the dictionary.  How bad do these players have it?  This world and this board are full of people who had to go to school, work a full time job or two, and take real classes to get through college.  Rent, utilities, clothes, tuition, books, gas, car, insurance and you get the point.  These guys have an opportunity afforded to them for a college education and a shot to make good money at the next level.  Great meals, great nutrition, better housing than what I could have dreamed of, and now they are also getting paid.  I'm tired of feeling bad for them when they decide to smoke or snort their lives away.  Pettway's problem did not come from his injury.  It started before the season and that is why he was held out.  I know we are fooling ourselves about college being a place of higher learning but damn.  He didn't let himself down.  He let his whole team down and his selfishness might have cost Auburn a chance at a better season.  I will carefully step off of my soap box now.

14 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

On a serious note. If someone is seriously struggling with addiction, then “outing” them(much less, to a national audience) could be a terrible thing. There is this thing called anonymity, and ultimately it should be their choice to reveal this information and no one else’s. There are a million ways to enable an addict,  not releasing information about their condition isn’t one of them. Also, addiction is never as cut and dried as some people want it to be. It’s just not. 

All that said, I hope Pettway finds what he’s searching for.

Off soapbox

If someone is battling addiction, I hope they are guided to a full time rehab and not allowed to participate in going to class, team activities, and be on the sidelines at games for several weeks. 

29 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

If someone is battling addiction, I hope they are guided to a full time rehab and not allowed to participate in going to class, team activities, and be on the sidelines at games for several weeks. 

I have confidence that he is being provided the opportunity to make the decisions(corrective actions) that are best for his future.

I have zero information other than what I’ve gleaned here and I really hate to speculate about his situation. I’m certain it’s way more complex than what’s been revealed. That’s all I really wanted to point out.

8 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I totally forgot about him being suspended game 1 of 2016. Man my memory is SO not what it used to be.

Can we blame this on weed, too? 

Archived