baseball vs. lsu game 2

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, FUZZYAUFAN said:

I feel bad for Coker but there has to be better options at this point of the season. 

Herndon has pretty limited innings this year, but I'd like to see his stuff

Very disappointing loss. I think I'd put Connor Davis in the DH spot, Ward in left and let Julien cool his heels on the bench for a few games. He's looking really bad at the plate. Maybe some time off and extra swings in the batting cage would help.

1 minute ago, SCTiger2011 said:

And with this, I switch to Bourbon...what could have been, man.

Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 10.21.15 PM.png

We are ending in a swoon. Not the way ti influence the selection committee.

Just now, Mikey said:

Very disappointing loss. I think I'd put Connor Davis in the DH spot, Ward in left and let Julien cool his heels on the bench for a few games. He's looking really bad at the plate. Maybe some time off and extra swings in the batting cage would help.

It worked for Holland earlier in the year when he sat a game...think it'd be a good idea to give Julien the MLB catcher "day game after a night game" treatment

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

We are ending in a swoon. Not the way ti influence the selection committee.

For the second year in a row...at this point, though the wins are nice, I think Auburn is firmly planted as a 2 seed in the regional regardless (I guess a 3 is possible if the next two are Ls).  And not much difference in a 2 seed or 3 seed in a regional, so I'm more or less just looking for the team to return to form in however many competitive games are left before the regional

45 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

For the second year in a row...at this point, though the wins are nice, I think Auburn is firmly planted as a 2 seed in the regional regardless (I guess a 3 is possible if the next two are Ls).  And not much difference in a 2 seed or 3 seed in a regional, so I'm more or less just looking for the team to return to form in however many competitive games are left before the regional

Right there with you my man.

11 hours ago, boomstick said:

To be the 6 seed:

Auburn wins the series 2-1

Vandy wins their series vs Kentucky 2-1

Florida and South Carolina win one game in their respective series

I took this from the game 1 thread because a correction needs to be made I overlooked. For those interested in AU's best possible seeding now it's 6th for the SECT. Florida does not have to take a game from Miss St. for AU to get 6th. If AU wins tomorrow they would get the tie breaker if there was a 4 way tie with AU, LSU, Vandy, & Miss St. because all 4 teams played each other this season. The tie breaker would be head to head record. AU would be 7-2, Vandy 5-4, LSU 4-5, & Miss St 2-7.

FWIW the worst seed AU can be as I type this is the 9 seed.

57 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

With an RPI that will likely be no worse than 20 the possibility is very very slim.

Also if we can win tomorrow & somehow get 2 in Hoover then we are still a very real possibility to be a region host. Have to play a lot better obviously.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I took this from the game 1 thread because a correction needs to be made I overlooked. For those interested in AU's best possible seeding now it's 6th for the SECT. Florida does not have to take a game from Miss St. for AU to get 6th. If AU wins tomorrow they would get the tie breaker if there was a 4 way tie with AU, LSU, Vandy, & Miss St. because all 4 teams played each other this season. The tie breaker would be head to head record. AU would be 7-2, Vandy 5-4, LSU 4-5, & Miss St 2-7.

FWIW the worst seed AU can be as I type this is the 9 seed.

I don't want to draw a TAMU or LSU on Tuesday...crosses fingers...

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

With an RPI that will likely be no worse than 20 the possibility is very very slim.

Also if we can win tomorrow & somehow get 2 in Hoover then we are still a very real possibility to be a region host. Have to play a lot better obviously.

I've invoked Auburn Rule of Fandom, Article 3, Section 2, Paragraph 7(c):  An Auburn fan shall lessen expectations for non-probabilistic outcomes as soon as possible so as to preserve mental well-being, general public decorum, and liver health

2 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

I don't want to draw a TAMU or LSU on Tuesday...crosses fingers...

If we get the 6 seed we would get aTm or Miss St Tuesday. I'd rather play aTm right now. Never thought I would say that at any point this season.

4 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

I've invoked Auburn Rule of Fandom, Article 3, Section 2, Paragraph 7(c):  An Auburn fan shall lessen expectations for non-probabilistic outcomes as soon as possible so as to preserve mental well-being, general public decorum, and liver health

Too bad I'm a numbers cruncher. ?

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If we get the 6 seed we would get aTm or Miss St Tuesday. I'd rather play aTm right now. Never thought I would say that at any point this season.

Going with my dad (a MSU grad) Tuesday.  That scenario would make the trip much less awkward

Just really stinks that we had to send Casey Mize out with a loss because our guys couldn’t figure out how to get on base. I just wish he got some run support every now and again and didn’t have to sweat his way to 3-2 or 4-3 wins the whole season so that finally when he does have an off night, the team still can provide some backup. The guys are either on fire or stone cold at the plate. This has got to change. If you’re not getting baserunners, the approach has to change. You can’t do the same thing the whole game and just hope it starts working. Got to coax walks out of the guy.... at least make him throw more than 4 pitches in an inning! 

Tomorrow could be a huge game for us, depending on how the tournament goes. With the RPI still in good shape (still at 12 after tonight’s loss), this team is a good run in Hoover to about Friday away from stealing a host bid. Won’t happen, however, if we don’t win this series, I don’t think. Have to be 15-15 in the league to have a shot I think. Big big game tomorrow. Hope our seniors step up in a big way. These guys have brought this program a long way and they deserve to play for something bigger than just trying to get past the first day of the SEC Tourney. We’ve gotta jump on them tomorrow and keep on them. War Eagle guys, go be CLUTCH!!!

4 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

He was pretty good when AU was short handed. And he's gotten screwed by the home plate umps more than a few times because of what he throws and because he comes in late in the game. He's been serviceable in his role and at times he's been a tough closer.

I’ve been pretty tough on the guy the past two outings, and I hope like heck he doesn’t read this board because I’d feel ashamed and embarrassed. I’m sure he’s a great guy and puts in a lot of hard work to get to where he is, and i thank him for wanting to come put it in the line night in and night out for Auburn. That’s a good man there. 

What I am saying, however, is that his numbers in SEC play are not good. Sure a few games went okay in the first half of the season but since then he’s been tagged for hits and runs in crucial moments where we absolutely need to stop the other team from scoring a run. He’s just been unable to produce outs without getting hit and scored on, and I just wonder if there’s a better option right now. I hope he comes out a dominates in post-season play. I hope he shuts me up so hard, I’ll be able to feel my lower lip throbbing. I hope he comes in for relief in the dern national championship series this year and completely shuts the door on Oregon State or Stanford, or even dadgum Florida. I hope he does it. I just feel as if he’s not the option right now.

6 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I’ve been pretty tough on the guy the past two outings, and I hope like heck he doesn’t read this board because I’d feel ashamed and embarrassed. I’m sure he’s a great guy and puts in a lot of hard work to get to where he is, and i thank him for wanting to come put it in the line night in and night out for Auburn. That’s a good man there. 

What I am saying, however, is that his numbers in SEC play are not good. Sure a few games went okay in the first half of the season but since then he’s been tagged for hits and runs in crucial moments where we absolutely need to stop the other team from scoring a run. He’s just been unable to produce outs without getting hit and scored on, and I just wonder if there’s a better option right now. I hope he comes out a dominates in post-season play. I hope he shuts me up so hard, I’ll be able to feel my lower lip throbbing. I hope he comes in for relief in the dern national championship series this year and completely shuts the door on Oregon State or Stanford, or even dadgum Florida. I hope he does it. I just feel as if he’s not the option right now.

I'm wondering if he was not just the sacrificial lamb last night....could not have stuck with DD after the delay and somebody had to start.   

It was a fresh inning and not a bad place to insert him despite some of his recent problems......and maybe CBT saving some of the other guys a bit..... perhaps willing to just let that particular game ride on whatever CC was able to do.   And  he was in trouble right away and no point wasting another arm...JMO   Plenty of folks available for tonight..

13 hours ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Herndon has pretty limited innings this year, but I'd like to see his stuff

He has limited outings for a reason.

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

I agree.

14 hours ago, FUZZYAUFAN said:

I feel bad for Coker but there has to be better options at this point of the season. 

There's not....or you would've seen those options already this season. Coker was meant to be an 8th-9th inning guy and he's had to take on a bigger role this season. More exposure means he's not as effective. 

1 minute ago, Tigerbelle said:

There's not....or you would've seen those options already this season. Coker was meant to be an 8th-9th inning guy and he's had to take on a bigger role this season. More exposure means he's not as effective. 

might not have been better options earlier....but things have changed...putting and leaving him in last night was a sign of surrender ...JMO

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

might not have been better options earlier....but things have changed...putting and leaving him in last night was a sign of surrender ...JMO

I don't see that anything has changed. The options are still the same. Personnel is still the same. Even when Mitchell and Greenhill were unavailable there were limited options which is why Coker worked so much. 

I think Coker was put in because he's a senior and CBT let him pitch in the last home game. JMO.

Archived