12 russians indicted for hacking dems

aubiefifty

3 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Yep for 37 years. Went to work with them right after graduating from Auburn.

that is awesome! i hear all my life you guys are top notch.........

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, homersapien said:

So do you equate the dangers? 

Do you think concern over such foreign interference in our election process is "fanciful"?

Answer the question.

And look up “fancy” in the dictionary also.

26 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

that is awesome! i hear all my life you guys are top notch.........

We had a lot of fun. I started to work the same day as the 7 original astronauts. Grew up with them, thru the good times and bad times. They were like brothers. Of course many more came along. Knew most of them but few as well as the original 7. We put our pants on just like everybody else but enjoyed it. Used to go home do some chores, cut grass and go back to work. until 10pm or so with no OT pay. The average age of all the engineers working on Apollo was like 25.

If you saw the movie Apollo 13 where an Astronaut got bumped because of exposure to measles, that was Ken Mattingly my classmate and good friend at Auburn. We have stayed in contact over many years. He made Admiral in the Navy.

One bit of trivia......on all of our space flights, the crew of only one had all astronauts form the same school. That was Mattingly and Hank Hartsfield from...........Auburn,........on Shuttle flight #4.  I used to flaunt that a lot to my colleagues.;D

8 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

So ignore it? Just be buddies?

Absolutely do not ignore computer/network/server security.  Hire someone competent in computer security to install a legit firewall, and ... AND ... absolutely do not let the run of the mill volunteers open any emails with attachments.  Or if you do, then make sure that your (competent) computer security person provides basic security training.  It's just not that hard.  The President & Congress have much more important issues to deal with.  

1 hour ago, AUloggerhead said:

Absolutely do not ignore computer/network/server security.  Hire someone competent in computer security to install a legit firewall, and ... AND ... absolutely do not let the run of the mill volunteers open any emails with attachments.  Or if you do, then make sure that your (competent) computer security person provides basic security training.  It's just not that hard.  The President & Congress have much more important issues to deal with.  

You flunk Citizenship 101

17 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Answer what question sonny?

If only our President and Congress would start protecting us, the American people and our institutions vital to our republic.

Does this apply to people trying to come here illegally or just issues that appease your fancy?

In other words, do illegals pose a threat to American citizens and institutions vital to our republic? If the president should do as channoc wants, would that apply to how he protects us from people who come here illegally?

I would think the answer should be yes. But I want to know your thoughts (since you jumped in).

On 7/13/2018 at 1:22 PM, aubiefifty said:

finance.yahoo.com

12 Russians accused of hacking Democrats in 2016 US election

Eric Tucker, Associated Press

5-6 minutes

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Twelve Russian intelligence officers hacked into the Democratic National Committee and the Clinton presidential campaign in the run-up to the 2016 election and released tens of thousands of stolen communications in a brazen effort by a foreign government to meddle in U.S. politics, according to a grand jury indictment announced Friday.

The indictment stands as the clearest Justice Department allegation yet of Russian efforts to interfere, through illegal hacking, in the U.S. presidential election before Americans went to the polls — and the first to implicate the Russian government directly. It had been sought by special counsel Robert Mueller and comes days before President Donald Trump holds a summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

U.S. intelligence agencies have said the meddling was aimed at helping the Trump campaign and harming the election bid of his Democratic opponent, Hillary Clinton. The effort also included bogus Facebook ads and social media postings that prosecutors say were aimed at influencing public opinion and sowing discord on hot-button social issues.

The indictment lays out a sweeping effort starting in March 2016 to break into key Democratic email accounts, such as those belonging to the Democratic National Committee, the Clinton campaign and the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. Among those targeted was John Podesta, the Clinton campaign chairman.

The Kremlin denied anew that it tried to sway the election. "The Russian state has never interfered and has no intention of interfering in the U.S. elections," Putin's foreign affairs adviser, Yuri Ushakov, said Friday.

But the indictment identifies the defendants as officers with Russia's Main Intelligence Directorate of the General Staff, also known as GRU. It accuses them of covertly monitoring the computers of dozens of Democratic officials and volunteers, implanting malicious computer code known as malware and using spearphishing emails to gain control of the accounts of people associated with the Clinton campaign.

By June 2016, the defendants began planning the release of tens of thousands of stolen emails and documents, the indictment alleges. The messages were released through fictitious personas like DCLeaks and Guccifer 2.0.

The charges come as Mueller continues to investigate potential coordination between Russia and the Trump campaign to influence the presidential election. The indictment does not allege that Trump campaign associates were involved in the hacking efforts or that any American was knowingly in contact with Russian intelligence officers.

The indictment also does not allege that any vote tallies were altered by hacking.

Still, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein said the internet "allows foreign adversaries to attack Americans in new and unexpected ways. Free and fair elections are hard-fought and contentious and there will always be adversaries who work to exacerbate domestic differences and try to confuse, divide and conquer us."

Before Friday, 20 people and three companies had been charged in the Mueller investigation. The 20 are four former Trump campaign and White House aides, three of whom have pleaded guilty to different crimes and agreed to cooperate, and 13 Russians accused of participating in a hidden but powerful social media campaign to sway U.S. public opinion in the 2016 election.

If the involvement of the GRU officers in the hacking effort is proved, it would shatter the Kremlin denials of the Russian state's involvement in the U.S. elections.

The GRU, which answers to the Russian military's General Staff, is part of the state machine and its involvement would indicate that the orders to interfere in the U.S. election came from the very top.

Hours before the Justice Department announcement, Trump complained anew that the special counsel's investigation is complicating his efforts to forge a better working relationship with Russia. Trump and Putin are scheduled to hold talks Monday in Finland, a meeting largely sought by Trump.

After the indictments were announced, top Senate Democrat Chuck Schumer called on Trump to cancel his meeting with Putin until Russia takes steps to prove it won't interfere in future elections. He said the indictments are "further proof of what everyone but the president seems to understand: President Putin is an adversary who interfered in our elections to help President Trump win."

Trump said at a news conference Friday near London with British Prime Minister Theresa May that he wasn't going into the meeting with Putin with "high expectations."

Referring to Mueller's probe, he said: "We do have a — a political problem where — you know in the United States we have this stupidity going on. Pure stupidity. But it makes it very hard to do something with Russia. Anything you do, it's always going to be, 'Oh, Russia, he loves Russia.'"

"I love the United States," Trump continued. "But I love getting along with Russia and China and other countries."

___

Associated Press writers Richard Lardner, Desmond Butler and Mary Clare Jalonick in Washington and Raphael Satter in Paris contributed to this report

At this point, I consider an imbecile anyone that proclaimed the Obama administration to be "un-American", yet, despite all evidence, actions, words, legal revelations, supports the current president. 

It's unfathomable.  It's something that one just must accept.  Our country is full of people that care more about holding to the notion that they made the correct choice in election, than actually making good choices.

It has been fun debating with some of you, but it's getting really hard to even consider the highest quality Trump supporters as anything other than either moronic or self-deluding.

10 minutes ago, HVAU said:

It has been fun debating with some of you, but it's getting really hard to even consider the highest quality Trump supporters as anything other than either moronic or self-deluding.

Spoken like a guy with a bad case of HTS who can't debate without name calling.

7 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

We had a lot of fun. I started to work the same day as the 7 original astronauts. Grew up with them, thru the good times and bad times. They were like brothers. Of course many more came along. Knew most of them but few as well as the original 7. We put our pants on just like everybody else but enjoyed it. Used to go home do some chores, cut grass and go back to work. until 10pm or so with no OT pay. The average age of all the engineers working on Apollo was like 25.

If you saw the movie Apollo 13 where an Astronaut got bumped because of exposure to measles, that was Ken Mattingly my classmate and good friend at Auburn. We have stayed in contact over many years. He made Admiral in the Navy.

One bit of trivia......on all of our space flights, the crew of only one had all astronauts form the same school. That was Mattingly and Hank Hartsfield from...........Auburn,........on Shuttle flight #4.  I used to flaunt that a lot to my colleagues.;D

Congrats Proud...sounds like that must have been quite rewarding.  Great job as well.  You worked on history making and ground breaking stuff!

15 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

If only our President and Congress would start protecting us, the American people and our institutions vital to our republic.

Does this apply to people trying to come here illegally or just issues that appease your fancy?

In other words, do illegals pose a threat to American citizens and institutions vital to our republic? If the president should do as channoc wants, would that apply to how he protects us from people who come here illegally?

I would think the answer should be yes. But I want to know your thoughts (since you jumped in).

1. Of course.  But a sense of proportion needs to be applied to the response.

2. Not nearly as much of a threat as the Trump administration is asserting.

3. See first response

18 hours ago, HVAU said:

Well that’s unfortunate. I still think you’re a good guy. ?

5 hours ago, homersapien said:

1. Of course.  But a sense of proportion needs to be applied to the response.

2. Not nearly as much of a threat as the Trump administration is asserting.

3. See first response

Thanks Homer. I appreciate the answer.

As long as you try to remain civil towards me, you can expect the same. 

13 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Well that’s unfortunate. I still think you’re a good guy. ?

Your probably one of the onlyTrump guys on here that I've got any political respect for.  I do think you've got a pretty big blind spot when it comes to Trump, and your high level of intellect allows you to rationalize the glaring deficiencies of this administration away.

I know that we all have our blind spots, but, really, there is nothing in recent political history that compares to the incompetence, underhandedness, dishonesty and, I'll dare to say it, treason of the Trump team.

1 hour ago, HVAU said:

I do think you've got a pretty big blind spot when it comes to Trump, and your high level of intellect allows you to rationalize the glaring deficiencies of this administration away.

I know that we all have our blind spots, but, really, there is nothing in recent political history that compares to the incompetence, underhandedness, dishonesty and, I'll dare to say it, treason of the Trump team.

Understood. I would say the same thing about Hillary supporters, should she have been president right now. With that said, Trump's presidency is an unprecedented one. He has his faults, and I'll admit that. There were other candidates who would've been much easier to support. He has made it hard at times. But even so, there are other aspects of his presidency that I think have been tremendously successful. For example, I think he has done extremely well with the economy (finance, job growth, domestic investments, energy, etc.). He's appointed justices that have done well, and I am pleased with his SCOTUS justices - including the one who hasn't been confirmed yet.  The majority of disdain towards Trump (at least on here), is purely emotional. I'm often guilty of engaging others in such arguments. But if the basis of attacking him on competency, dishonesty, etc., arises from purely emotional argumentation (i.e., he didn't hold the door open for his wife or she wore a bad coat) and if that is a glaring deficiency because I don't fuss about it, then that's fine with me.

I guess things I deem important enough to be considered "make or break" aren't shared by many here that identify with the left. Or they at least they avoid discussions on such matters. 

44 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Understood. I would say the same thing about Hillary supporters, should she have been president right now. With that said, Trump's presidency is an unprecedented one. He has his faults, and I'll admit that. There were other candidates who would've been much easier to support. He has made it hard at times. But even so, there are other aspects of his presidency that I think have been tremendously successful. For example, I think he has done extremely well with the economy (finance, job growth, domestic investments, energy, etc.). He's appointed justices that have done well, and I am pleased with his SCOTUS justices - including the one who hasn't been confirmed yet.  The majority of disdain towards Trump (at least on here), is purely emotional. I'm often guilty of engaging others in such arguments. But if the basis of attacking him on competency, dishonesty, etc., arises from purely emotional argumentation (i.e., he didn't hold the door open for his wife or she wore a bad coat) and if that is a glaring deficiency because I don't fuss about it, then that's fine with me.

I guess things I deem important enough to be considered "make or break" aren't shared by many here that identify with the left. Or they at least they avoid discussions on such matters. 

So you think he’s honest and competent?

It's been pretty much established that only dems fell for whatever the Russians tried to do......so how did the dems react or respond?  Still waiting on some figures about how many actually decided to vote for DT instead of HRC because they were influenced by those Russians?  

Agree that Russians have no business messing with our elections and trying to influence voters with false information....that's the exclusive right of CNN and the DNC and I hope DT makes that clear to Putin this week. 

Archived