Alabama Run-Off Election July 17

Auburnfan91

I know there wasn't a thread for the primary elections in Alabama last month but tomorrow is the run-off elections in Alabama.

There is one race in particular that has gotten some national media attention and that's Bobby Bright vs Martha Roby for the District 2 House seat. Which is the District I live in(Elmore County).

I'm not really big on either one of them but I'm leaning more towards Bright and I'll probably vote for him tomorrow.. I know he was a Democrat the last time he he ran but part of that was that he wasn't going to be supported by the Alabama GOP because they had already coalesced around Jay Love in 2008 so Bright decided to run as a Democrat in order to win. The only mark against Bright in my view was that he voted for Nancy Pelosi as House Speaker. But Bright voted against the stimulus package in 2009 and also voted against Obamacare. For that reason I don't see Bright as being a party line voter like Martha Roby is.

Roby cares more about being liked and going along with the party leaders like Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell than she does her constituents in District 2. After she won re-election in 2014, I pretty much stopped supporting Roby. She was getting more and more concerned with Washington than she was her own district. Now I will give Roby credit for addressing the VA and fighting to get it reformed but other than that nothing else she's done has been meaningful. She's done more that goes against her constituents views then going with her constituents views. 

I didn't vote for Roby last time in 2016 in either the primary or general. I voted for the Wetumpka tea party president Becky Gerritson in the primary in March 2016 and then I voted for her again as a write-in in November 2016.

For Attorney General, I'm voting for Troy King. 

And for Lieutenant Governor I'm voting for Twinkle Cavanaugh

Is anyone else voting in the run-off tomorrow?

Don't live there, so can't vote.  But remember this about Bright.  He had air cover to not vote for Obamacare and the stimulus package because the Dems had plenty of votes to pass both.  I like some of the things he did as Montgomery mayor, but he's just a straight up politician like the others.

Troy King , I can’t support. Too much baggage and drama.

Will or Twinkle? Haven’t made up my mind, but she runs every 4 years for some office. At least they are both Auburn graduates.

Will this be the first time in Alabama history where the Governor (Ivy) and Lt. Governor are both Auburn grads?

These run off elections are dangerous....low turnout and only a few people following the campaign or issues.

Troy King is a creepy sleazy scum bag. 

I won't vote for Troy King. I'm not in the district to vote on Roby/Bright, though I'm sick of both candidate's ads on Channel 12. I'll be voting Twinkle for Lt. Gov, Rick Pate for AG commissioner, because I knew his dad and mom, they were a good family.

I'm voting for Roby.  I actually have a personal connection to both of them.  I know Roby better.  Political ads in general tend to operate in a lot of gray areas with regard to the "full story" or the truth, but Bright's have been egregious in some instances with the things he's said about her.  I'm very disappointed with how he's run this race.  I expected more of him and actually voted for him the last time he ran as the incumbent against her.  She's not perfect and I don't always agree with her, but I know she's a person of integrity and is trying her best to do a good job for her district and the state.

Lt. Gov is a toss up.  Ainsworth seems like a goob.  Twinkle is a politician through and through.  I'm leaning toward goob being less bad than typical politician.

Something about Troy King is off to me.  I'm voting for Marshall.

I was thinking Dial for AG commissioner.  Someone who knows about Pate can tell me about him and convince me otherwise.  The Dial ads about Pate's domestic violence stuff - is that for real?

Twinkle - Nothing but a politician always running for something where she thinks she can get elected. I'll vote Ainsworth.

Troy King - Let Alabama Power by him a sky box at the Braves....while being responsible for fighting against them. Steve Marshall is the vote for more reasons than Troy King should not be put back into office.

Dial made an attack ad claiming Pate beat his then-wife. She came out and defended him while also endorsing him. She had every opportunity to burn him at the stake and didn't. In fact, she did the opposite. To me - says a lot about him and that we do not know the entire story here - only what Dail wants you to know. I'll vote Pate.

Alabama should do better. These candidates are sad. Reminds of a previous election. :no:

Haven't lived in Alabama since 2001......Troy King sounds familiar or contraversial?..........maybe I am confusing with Bill Pryor? 

Archived