AU after a 10+ Win season

RunInRed

On 7/22/2018 at 12:15 PM, CR said:

Washington game is HUGE if AU is to win 10 this year. I see that game and Miss St on the road as two potential spots for derailing a 10 win season.
AU should win both but I'm really interested to see Texas A@M and Tennessee come into Jordan Hare. I don't think there's any doubt Jimbo will have a positive impact on the Aggies. Pruitt's a wild card but has had some success against Gus as a DC. Really want to see Gus put it on him if at all possible. 

That is also a HUGE game for the PAC 12. I've heard it a 100 times how important this is for their conference to beat AU especially to start the year. Huskies think if they win this game it set them up for a good run for the playoffs. Even if they lose one game after beating AU.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LeonardAU said:

So we're looking at 6-6 and a trip to B'ham based on the average drop in wins? ?

You would think that, reading these threads. Auburn sucks and every team Auburn plays has better personnel or better coaching or both. 

14 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The Washington game is HUGE. Could be Gus's biggest game he has had at AU besides the FSU game. AU lays a egg in this game people with cash are not going to get onto the boat so to say. Like it or not, it is what it is there and that is self inflicted by Gus and the previous person in the AD. All of that good will Gus had after the Iron Bowl win was put in jeopardy by the actions Gus took after, then he absolutely lays a egg in the last two games.  Pocket books were closed. 

We simply do not agree (again). The Washington game is big, but not huge. There are eight SEC games that are bigger. "People with cash" are not nearly as fed up as some want to think they are. People with cash also have enough sense to know that a coach can't make plays on the field, players have to do that. Who did or didn't do whatever at the end of last season has been beaten to death, there's no sense in going over it again. People with cash are not going anywhere because of a loss to Washington. Finish 6-6 and they may get a bit impatient but those "people with cash" are Auburn people too, and thus not so fickle and faint-hearted as some here imagine them to be.

15 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The Washington game is HUGE. Could be Gus's biggest game he has had at AU besides the FSU game. AU lays a egg in this game people with cash are not going to get onto the boat so to say. Like it or not, it is what it is there and that is self inflicted by Gus and the previous person in the AD. All of that good will Gus had after the Iron Bowl win was put in jeopardy by the actions Gus took after, then he absolutely lays a egg in the last two games.  Pocket books were closed. 

I think this game is important, but probably #4 on the season behind the turds, thUGA, and Miss St. I also dont think he laid an egg in the SECCG. We were wore down and hurt that game with it being close going into the 4th quarter. The UCF game was disheartening and looked like the players were thinking of what if. He may not be the best coach but he's currently the only one in the SEC to have beat Satan, and done it twice. I know he is stubborn but I dont think it would be the end of the season if we were to lose game 1. Hopefully we dont have to deal with that and we crush Washington and get on track early for a big November and December. 

There’s unfortunately a lot more holes than you’d like for a team that has a lot of potential. Unlike 2014, we don’t return a lot of the less glamorous guys that build up a unit. Honestly 2016 was the flip where we had numbers in the trenches and in the back end (when healthy) but the skill positions were very youthful/not proven as elite. 

If we beat Washington and Miss St on the road, I think we can feasibly win 10 games, including a bowl game. Georgia, assuming the mass talent departure isn’t immediately replaced, won’t be too much harder than playing in Starkville with Nick Fitzgerald looking for revenge. 

9 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

That is also a HUGE game for the PAC 12. I've heard it a 100 times how important this is for their conference to beat AU especially to start the year. Huskies think if they win this game it set them up for a good run for the playoffs. Even if they lose one game after beating AU.

The PAC 12 really has a Napoleon complex when it comes to the SEC I believe. That LSU-Oregon game coming off the Auburn-Oregon game was a demoralized I’m sure. A&M should’ve buried the UCLA program and probably annihilated Rosen’s stock if they weren’t the actual worst clutch team (couldn’t close the deal vs Bama being within one score either). Us beating the modern Oregon and the most realistic PAC playoff squad would hurt a lot 

Ranking the games in order of importance is useless. The Washington game is the most important game until it is played, then it is Alabama St. then LSU and so on. The Alabama game is not important until the first 11 have been played. It won't be important at all if Auburn doesn't find itself with a chance to win the West with the win. Someone once said if you don't think playing a lesser opponent is a big game, try losing to them and you'll see how important it is. I realize that the whole "one game at a time" thing gets overstated but in Auburn's case it should not be viewed that way. Auburn rarely follows success with success as the OP points out. Washington is the biggest game of the season until it's over, period. Bama and Georgia and the rest will just have to wait their turn to be important. 

13 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

From an image standpoint, this is a BIG game for AU.  UW certainly will treat this like a playoff game and we had better also.  Another Dome Dud and we’ll be moaning another 6.9 years of Gus and frankly, it’s time we came out in the early season and look like we didn’t sit around and play video games all summer.  

32 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Ranking the games in order of importance is useless. The Washington game is the most important game until it is played, then it is Alabama St. then LSU and so on. The Alabama game is not important until the first 11 have been played. It won't be important at all if Auburn doesn't find itself with a chance to win the West with the win. Someone once said if you don't think playing a lesser opponent is a big game, try losing to them and you'll see how important it is. I realize that the whole "one game at a time" thing gets overstated but in Auburn's case it should not be viewed that way. Auburn rarely follows success with success as the OP points out. Washington is the biggest game of the season until it's over, period. Bama and Georgia and the rest will just have to wait their turn to be important. 

Well said. And, looking at it from the other direction, a lot of people said that losing to Clemson and/or LSU didn't matter because we still got to the SECCG. Yeah, well, we win one of those games and bama doesn't get into the playoffs. We win one of those games and maybe we *do* get into the playoffs. We win both of those games and we *definitely* get into the playoffs. 

I'm not going to say that it is imperative that we beat Washington. They look like a very tough opponent against whom we could play very well and still lose. But if Gus's apologists insist on getting so easily upset by even the most gentle, obvious, constructive criticisms, then they'd better hope that we look like a competent, well-coached football team with a coherent vision and strategy and the ability to make in-game adjustments. Gus has failed miserably to accomplish these basic goals in most of our losses the last couple seasons and if he repeats those mistakes against Washington, then there's no reason that he or his apologists will deserve a reprieve from disappointed fans, donors, admins, rival recruiters or the media. 

We'll get wounded over the course of the season. It's important that we don't sustain self-inflicted wounds right out of the gate. Gus has "saved" the season after early, bad losses before, but I certainly hope he and his flock aren't counting on winning 2 games on the road in November against the previous season's national title game opponents to save this one. 

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

We simply do not agree (again). The Washington game is big, but not huge. There are eight SEC games that are bigger. "People with cash" are not nearly as fed up as some want to think they are. People with cash also have enough sense to know that a coach can't make plays on the field, players have to do that. Who did or didn't do whatever at the end of last season has been beaten to death, there's no sense in going over it again. People with cash are not going anywhere because of a loss to Washington. Finish 6-6 and they may get a bit impatient but those "people with cash" are Auburn people too, and thus not so fickle and faint-hearted as some here imagine them to be.

Then why are these people not stepping up to the plate and donating. Telling Greene they are going to wait and see how the year plays out. This all starts at the Washington game. Lose this game the Gus way, unprepared, and these folks are going to take a lot more convincing. People are fed up. There have been articles about this. I know you read what Jay Tate wrote on this subject after he interviewed Greene. 

Every time I start getting confident about the opener, I can't help my Gus pessimistic tendencies and think of the 3 QB disaster against Clemson ...

31 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Every time I start getting confident about the opener, I can't help my Gus pessimistic tendencies and think of the 3 QB disaster against Clemson ...

IMG_0791.GIF

Gus had Auburn as THE BEST team in the country at the last game of the regular season. How many other coaches can say that? He will be better this year than last year. He is still learning. Just wait!

On 7/22/2018 at 11:30 PM, AUsince72 said:

I have waited for 2 hours to get on the Rock-'n'-roll Rollercoaster at Disney so I'll be MORE than happy to wait my turn to get back on the Gus Bus!

It is well worth the wait, AUsince72!!!! That is mine and my wife’s  favorite ride..Well,      Soaring is pretty AUsome too.

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

Or you could think of the one time he had a returning starter at QB and we crushed a conference opp by 24 points to open the season. ?

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

Exactly! I'm in the same boat. Seeing videos of the players training hard early mornings and saying all the right things in interviews I get hyped and then you know....

17 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Or you could think of the one time he had a returning starter at QB and we crushed a conference opp by 24 points to open the season. ?

Arkansas is a far cry from Washington at a neutral field.

11 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Arkansas is a far cry from Washington at a neutral field.

Which is probably why we arent favored by 24 points. 

13 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Then why are these people not stepping up to the plate and donating. Telling Greene they are going to wait and see how the year plays out.

I don't know that they aren't donating and I don't know what they are telling Greene. I'll bet my bottom dollar they aren't telling him "Win the Washington game or I'm done donating to Auburn." If you have a chart showing how much has been donated this year compared to how much was donated in the first seven months of previous years, please post a link. I think we'd all find that information to be very interesting.

11 hours ago, RunInRed said:

I've been optimistic that not having an obvious every-down back who is head and shoulders above the rest could be a good thing for our RB rotation, but then I remember what happened when he didn't have an obvious every-down QB who was head and shoulders above the rest and.... yeah. 

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't know that they aren't donating and I don't know what they are telling Greene. I'll bet my bottom dollar they aren't telling him "Win the Washington game or I'm done donating to Auburn." If you have a chart showing how much has been donated this year compared to how much was donated in the first seven months of previous years, please post a link. I think we'd all find that information to be very interesting.

You don't. And that is OK. 

4 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

You don't. And that is OK. 

Yes it is. Now, about that chart.....

Archived