AU after a 10+ Win season

RunInRed

1 hour ago, AlaskanFAN said:

This years season all hinges on the offensive line. Now think about it before you react. The defense front seven is deep, good and can cover down for secondary while they get their legs. If you know anything about defense you know what I am talking about. The offensive line opens the holes for the RB and protects the QB. I don’t care who is in the backfield and under center if the line can’t block then we do nothing but 3 and out’s. Constant 3 and Out’s gets our defense to the 4th quarter before they tire out. Then game over. Our season this year hinges on the O-Line!

Although that might lead to some advancement in the quick passing game besides WR screens. I'd love to see a lot more 3-step drops

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

This years season all hinges on the offensive line. Now think about it before you react. The defense front seven is deep, good and can cover down for secondary while they get their legs. If you know anything about defense you know what I am talking about. The offensive line opens the holes for the RB and protects the QB. I don’t care who is in the backfield and under center if the line can’t block then we do nothing but 3 and out’s. Constant 3 and Out’s gets our defense to the 4th quarter before they tire out. Then game over. Our season this year hinges on the O-Line!

You are correct about the importance of the O-Line, but we are not destined to be hapless there. Constant 3 and outs is not in the cards. Horton and Harrel are really good, Tega played some solid football last year, and the Driscoll kid can play. Gus’s offenses have done very well with a lot less up front than we have this year. I am concerned about the center position, and this is not a year we can absorb a lot of injuries, though. 

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'm smarter than you.

I am smarter than the average bear!

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

You are correct about the importance of the O-Line, but we are not destined to be hapless there. Constant 3 and outs is not in the cards. Horton and Harrel are really good, Tega played some solid football last year, and the Driscoll kid can play. Gus’s offenses have done very well with a lot less up front than we have this year. I am concerned about the center position, and this is not a year we can absorb a lot of injuries, though. 

I agree on Horton and Harrell, both are road graders and having them flank either Kim or Brahms will be good.  I think Grims gets more out of Tega in the few months he’s been here than Hand ever could and we will see good Tega vs UW and a great Tega by UGA and the turds. If Driscoll is as good as everyone is saying and with SEC school facilities, summer weight training and nutrition program he could be a fantastic pick up by the coaches. But like you said who is behind them? Not a lot of experience. And who is gonna snap the ball and make all the correct blocking calls at center - Kim, Brahm? That is going to be a really good battle come August! I feel how the line goes, how our season goes, boom or bust.  I believe we can Boom. Just got to avoid the injury bug.

6 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Mikey will have his work cut out for him... that's for sure.

It's gonna' be tough work, making all of you stand in line and wait to get back on the Gus Bus in an orderly manner. No pileups and no cutting in front of others!

23 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It's gonna' be tough work, making all of you stand in line and wait to get back on the Gus Bus in an orderly manner. No pileups and no cutting in front of others!

rt.gif

55 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I have waited for 2 hours to get on the Rock-'n'-roll Rollercoaster at Disney so I'll be MORE than happy to wait my turn to get back on the Gus Bus!

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

rt.gif

It's too bad I don't like gifs. This would make a good avatar for me! Need to get the glasses off that driver though, I've had the laser eye surgery.

7 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I have waited for 2 hours to get on the Rock-'n'-roll Rollercoaster at Disney so I'll be MORE than happy to wait my turn to get back on the Gus Bus!

Just don't get rowdy in line and all will be well. Once on the bus and seated, there will be drinks, loud music and other amenities :)

18 hours ago, stoic-one said:

This thread harshes my Sunday mellow...

So times we all need a little kick in the ass  ;)

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

It's too bad I don't like gifs. This would make a good avatar for me! Need to get the glasses off that driver though, I've had the laser eye surgery.

O please. you would love gifs if most other people hated them. You just always have to go against the grain. JUST EMBRACE IT and your time on here would be a lot more enjoyable!!!! WOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! come on mr mikey I know you have it in you to be a non contrarian for once! hahaha.

On 7/22/2018 at 10:49 AM, SumterAubie said:

In my unsolicited opinion, this year's schedule is one of the easier ones Auburn has had in years. I'll trade playing Washington for Clemson any day. LSU and A&M at home. Both Mississippi schools are down. Auburn will be favored in every game up to the leg humper game. 

Can never underestimate LSU. Ole miss has the best wr core in the sec and top 5 in the country imo. Washington has one of the best secondaries in the country and their d-line is nothing to sleep on. Miss state has Fitzgerald and one of the best d-lines in the country. We will have opportunities to trip up... Hopefully it doesn't happen. But the schedule is far from easy. 

Edit: And we haven't won in Athens since 2005 and Bama away....Is Bama away....

On 7/22/2018 at 6:20 PM, Gowebb11 said:

Exactly. We might not have the best O-line in the country but I believe they’ll be good enough to help us win 

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

O please. you would love gifs if most other people hated them. You just always have to go against the grain. JUST EMBRACE IT and your time on here would be a lot more enjoyable!!!! WOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! come on mr mikey I know you have it in you to be a non contrarian for once! hahaha.

:thumbsdown:

On 7/22/2018 at 11:15 AM, CR said:

Washington game is HUGE if AU is to win 10 this year. I see that game and Miss St on the road as two potential spots for derailing a 10 win season.
AU should win both but I'm really interested to see Texas A@M and Tennessee come into Jordan Hare. I don't think there's any doubt Jimbo will have a positive impact on the Aggies. Pruitt's a wild card but has had some success against Gus as a DC. Really want to see Gus put it on him if at all possible. 

The Washington game is HUGE. Could be Gus's biggest game he has had at AU besides the FSU game. AU lays a egg in this game people with cash are not going to get onto the boat so to say. Like it or not, it is what it is there and that is self inflicted by Gus and the previous person in the AD. All of that good will Gus had after the Iron Bowl win was put in jeopardy by the actions Gus took after, then he absolutely lays a egg in the last two games.  Pocket books were closed. 

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

Sure, but once again, anybody making decisions after 1 bad early season game need to let the season play out.

It's more of a pattern than just one game. 

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

It's more of a pattern than just one game. 

I re-read your whole post and deleted mine.  thx.

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I re-read your whole post and deleted mine.  thx.

Gus didn't do himself any favors with a lot of donors at the end of last season. The bowl game turned a bunch of folks off. You don't sign a HUGE extension, one that was 50/50 with people, and play like that in a New Year's Six game. Folks are fed up. Now I do sense that Gus has knowledge of how these people feel. Lets see if he can turn this. Greene has told Gus the problem he is having getting the money for the new facilities / upgrades. This is a big year for Gus. 10 wins or bust.  

34 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Gus didn't do himself any favors with a lot of donors at the end of last season. The bowl game turned a bunch of folks off. You don't sign a HUGE extension, one that was 50/50 with people, and play like that in a New Year's Six game. Folks are fed up. Now I do sense that Gus has knowledge of how these people feel. Lets see if he can turn this. Greene has told Gus the problem he is having getting the money for the new facilities / upgrades. This is a big year for Gus. 10 wins or bust.  

Lets face it. Now it's every year is 10 wins or bust. Expectations are high it doesn't matter that the schedule is insane because the fans are insane now too.  

47 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Gus didn't do himself any favors with a lot of donors at the end of last season. The bowl game turned a bunch of folks off. You don't sign a HUGE extension, one that was 50/50 with people, and play like that in a New Year's Six game.

It'd also be 3 straight losses in Atlanta and the new Mercedes Benz stadium (SECCG, Bowl  game, Washington). That'd be embarrassing. 

15 hours ago, Mikey said:

:thumbsdown:

gar.gif

On 7/22/2018 at 11:27 AM, jared52 said:

MSU has a VERY capable QB and two first team DL. They aren’t down by MSU standards and Fitz is going to win them a couple of games they shouldn’t. 

Fitz is overrated IMO. He's fine but not gonna be the one that carries them to a great season. 

2016:     Pass: 196-361 (54.3%)      2423 Yds       21 TD     10 INT                        Rush: 195 attempts for 1375 yds (7.1 ypc) 16 TD

2017:    Pass : 159-286 (55.6%)     1782 yds        15 TD     11 INT                         Rush: 162 attempts for 984 yds (6.1 ypc) 14 TD

His 2016 rushing stats are the only thing that really stand out to me. Went down in production last year both passing and rushing which tells me SEC teams are figuring him out. Not saying the guy isn't a good player, because he is, but not nearly as much of a threat as the media plays him out to be. 

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Fitz is overrated IMO. He's fine but not gonna be the one that carries them to a great season. 

2016:     Pass: 196-361 (54.3%)      2423 Yds       21 TD     10 INT                        Rush: 195 attempts for 1375 yds (7.1 ypc) 16 TD

2017:    Pass : 159-286 (55.6%)     1782 yds        15 TD     11 INT                         Rush: 162 attempts for 984 yds (6.1 ypc) 14 TD

His 2016 rushing stats are the only thing that really stand out to me. Went down in production last year both passing and rushing which tells me SEC teams are figuring him out. Not saying the guy isn't a good player, because he is, but not nearly as much of a threat as the media plays him out to be. 

He only played in 12 games in 2017, and was only in on like 8 plays in that 12th game.

In 2016, he threw for 186.4 yards and rushed for 106 yards per game.

In 2017, if you call it a full 12 games, he threw for 148.5 and 82. If you call it 11 1/2 games, which is still more than he actually played, it comes out to 155 and 85.6. So still a big drop, but not quite as severe, and that's still almost 250 yards from scrimmage per game.

And I don't know what kind of depth chart changes occurred around him. New OLs? New WRs? Not sure. 

Archived