Movies

AUBwins

3 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Refering to?

That's one of them. The famous scene in Oldboy is another. There's actually a significant portion of Parasite that would qualify.

3 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Thank you! This is the movie I am suppose to watch that I forgot the name of.

I look forward to hearing what you think. My wife hasn't seen it and we keep trying to watch it but it's a commitment. By the time we get our little ones to bed most days, the last thing we want to do is spend two hours basically doing the opposite of getting a massage lol. Even if it is fantastic art which I think this movie is.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

That's one of them. The famous scene in Oldboy is another. There's actually a significant portion of Parasite that would qualify.

Speaking of Old Boy, did you watch the remake with Josh Brolin?

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Fun, quick little video just showing that thing that Kubrick did that made all his movies look like Kubrick movies.

http://kogonada.com/portfolio/kubrick/one-point-perspective

"Paths of Glory" is a great movie that a lot of people don't know about.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

"Paths of Glory" is a great movie that a lot of people don't know about.

There were some in there I didn't recognize and it made me realize I need to educate myself. Kubrick is a top 3 guy for me. Scorsese and the Coens are the others. 

• Like 2

On 10/24/2019 at 4:46 PM, AURaptor said:

Meant to post this, kept forgetting....

I thought Joker was one of the best made movies I've seen in many years. That's not to say it was one of my favorites, but rather, I still can attests to it being very well done, extremely well acted, and quite a refreshing change from the ' amusement park ' huge budget movies we've been fed now for the past 10+ years. 

I read this on another forum, by some poster, not a  film critic. It summed up my views nicely, and I think captures the feel of the movie. 

If Joker were a painting, it would be a Picasso during his Cubist period. Distorted but familiar. Sad but you can’t look away; much like a car accident - we just have to see: did anyone get hurt. This is how Joker lives, on the ugly side of life. But it’s fascinating. It is so well written, not a wasted word or a wasted scene. And, above all, NO preachy dialogue

Finally watched this.  Fantastic movie and a nice surprise at the end to bring it full circle. Joaquin Phoenix was Superb as Joker. You could feel the torment of his character through his acting choices. I agree it was well scripted and the overall aesthetic of the film felt authentic.  Currently on HBO Max if anyone's still wanting to see it.  

• 1 month later...

Watched the King of Staten Island tonight. I’m not the biggest Pete Davidson fan, but he did really well in this. Bill Burr though, was fantastic. It’s an Apatow flick, so it could’ve been trimmed by 30 minutes as usual. Good movie. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

10 hours ago, aubearcat said:

As with anything Batman for me. I think Dano will be great as the Riddler. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, gr82be said:

As with anything Batman for me. I think Dano will be great as the Riddler. 

Such an intense and unusual actor. Agreed, he should be very good. At a minimum, he will be creepy. Of that, I'm certain.

• Like 1

Watched Brightburn. I kind of hated it. We really need a Doomsday, but he’s the hero type movie to at least provide a counter to this Superman, but he’s a bad guy movie. This movie was a turd. 

Fantastic exhibition of the late Philip Seymour Hoffman’s acting. Ethan Hawke did a swell job also. Marisa Tomei wears a shirt sometimes. 

Live look into my living room

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

6 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Fantastic exhibition of the late Philip Seymour Hoffman’s acting. Ethan Hawke did a swell job also. Marisa Tomei wears a shirt sometimes. 

Live look into my living room

Very underrated movie. But you named the two (3?) best parts of it for me.

Watched Guns Akimbo on Prime last night. A little bit of an indictment of online/social/troll culture, but mainly just a batshit crazy shoot-em up. I put it on for some eye/mind bleach before going to sleep and ended up watching the whole thing. Pretty original take on some familiar concepts. Very fun.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2020 at 7:22 AM, McLoofus said:

Watched Guns Akimbo on Prime last night. A little bit of an indictment of online/social/troll culture, but mainly just a batshit crazy shoot-em up. I put it on for some eye/mind bleach before going to sleep and ended up watching the whole thing. Pretty original take on some familiar concepts. Very fun.

We watched all 3 John Wick movies this week for the same reason. Never seen them before, but it truly is just mindless, yet impressive, action for 6 straight hours. The entire time I was like, “can’t this man just take a few minutes and sit on the couch or take a shower?”.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

This really made me feel gross. Confirmed everything I ever thought about social media. 

I'm scared to watch. Honestly. 

Kinda like stepping on the scale.