Movies

AUBwins

On 4/11/2020 at 11:20 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

I’m picky about my period(basically anything before 1970) pieces. Just can’t dig them. However, I watched the Gangs of New York last week and enjoyed it. It was longer than it needed to be, 2nd act was rushed. 

Also, not a big mafia movie guy. Godfather was god awfully boring. 

Love The Godfather. Most mafia movies. Read several books. I was depressed when they ended the Sopranos. 

Edited by alexava
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, alexava said:

Love The Godfather. Most mafia movies. Read several books. I was depressed when they ended the Sopranos. 

Same here.

Mafia movies, Westerns, war movies... I'm a sucker for any of them.

Speaking of mafia movies, have you seen Millers Crossing? It's a Coen Bros movie so it's a little unconventional, but still very much a mob/noir masterpiece IMO. Available to rent on Amazon. 

Goodfellas is my favorite movie. 

• Like 2

On 4/17/2020 at 9:39 AM, McLoofus said:

Same here.

Mafia movies, Westerns, war movies... I'm a sucker for any of them.

Speaking of mafia movies, have you seen Millers Crossing? It's a Coen Bros movie so it's a little unconventional, but still very much a mob/noir masterpiece IMO. Available to rent on Amazon. 

Goodfellas is my favorite movie. 

Goodfellas might be the best. I’ll look for Miller’s Crossing. 

• 4 weeks later...

Watched Driver(on Netflix) for the first time about 10 years too late. Great flick. Pretty cliche storyline and some of the dialogue was a bit lackluster, but they made up for it in cinematography. 

• Like 1

Similar note re: car chases—I also watched Romancing the Stone, a favorite 80s flick of mine. This scene with the Ford Bronco(a vehicle I still hope to own one day) is still pretty rad. Shooting the gap in that boss was and still is awesome. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Similar note re: car chases—I also watched Romancing the Stone, a favorite 80s flick of mine. This scene with the Ford Bronco(a vehicle I still hope to own one day) is still pretty rad. Shooting the gap in that boss was and still is awesome. 

I feel like this movie unfairly gets lost in the shuffle of all the 80s nostalgia. Absolutely in that category of big, exciting, fun adventure movie from that era for me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

A very very good movie wife and loved  it also with a great Eddie Grant song

• Like 1

Watched a couple movies I hadn’t seen before today. I always disregarded Snowpiercer because it appeared to me that it was just a run of the mill action flick, and in some ways it was, but the societal symbolism and grimness of the whole thing was great  

Room was also impactful. Brie Larson played a phenomenal role and I can see why she won an Oscar for it. And Jacob Tremblay is going to be a great actor, he already is.

Both are currently on Netflix. And I’m just now realizing both leads are Captain America and Captain Marvel...I don’t watch superhero movies *ducks*.

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

10 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Watched a couple movies I hadn’t seen before today. I always disregarded Snowpiercer because it appeared to me that it was just a run of the mill action flick, and in some ways it was, but the societal symbolism and grimness of the whole thing was great  

Room was also impactful. Brie Larson played a phenomenal role and I can see why she won an Oscar for it. And Jacob Tremblay is going to be a great actor, he already is.

Both are currently on Netflix. And I’m just now realizing both leads are Captain America and Captain Marvel...I don’t watch superhero movies *ducks*.

I don't normally watch superhero movies, either. I do enjoy the Taika Waititi version of Thor and Guardians of the Galaxy, though. 

Snowpiercer is awesome. I'm anxious to watch the show. Jennifer Connolly seems perfectly cast. Side note: Koreans are fantastic at directing movies set on trains or with defining scenes set in hallways. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Yeah. Dynamic pass rushers are sexier.

I had no idea you felt that way e not that there is anything wrong with it.

veronica mars wink GIF

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

veronica mars wink GIF

That woman is SO hot. Dax Shepard is a lucky man.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

Who is she?

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Who is she?

Kristen Bell. She was Sarah Marshall in the movie Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and was the title role for the show (and movie) Veronica Mars. She was also the voice for the role of Anna (the younger princess) in Frozen and Frozen 2, which I know backwards and forwards now because of my daughter.

• Like 1

She’s also in “The Good Place” and it’s a sitcom before anyone gets nasty 🤢 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

OMG Kristen Bell............ I have lost all respect for you..no soup for you 

Never saw her with long hair or it down. I know who she is but never saw the movies or shows Nilla & Todd mentioned. I've only seen her in this commercial...

While attractive, she's no Rachel McAdams.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Never saw her with long hair or it down. I know who she is but never saw the movies or shows Nilla & Todd mentioned. I've only seen her in this commercial...

While attractive, she's no Rachel McAdams.

Dude behind the wheel is cutting his eyes down at her a$$. Not that I blame him in the least.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Rednilla said:

One of those how did he get her moments haha. Kristen’s personality and humor make her hotter than just appearance. I watch the Disney+ show Encore, which she produces. She shows more of her business side. She does not appear on most of the episodes but in one particular case, she gave some feedback and ran lines opposite one of the actors to help out. Really cool to see how she loves what she does. I will agree with E though that Rachel McAdams is just incredibly sexy. 

15 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Kristen Bell. She was Sarah Marshall in the movie Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and was the title role for the show (and movie) Veronica Mars. She was also the voice for the role of Anna (the younger princess) in Frozen and Frozen 2, which I know backwards and forwards now because of my daughter.

Riiiiight

Don't use your daughter as an excuse.

(Frankly, I'm almost curious to see Frozen 2 because I saw the first one several times with my daughter, but she aged out of being interested by the time 2 came along. But I'm not curious enough to actually watch it.)

15 minutes ago, Tiger1992 said:

Riiiiight

(Frankly, I'm almost curious to see Frozen 2 because I saw the first one several times with my daughter, but she aged out of being interested by the time 2 came along. But I'm not curious enough to actually watch it.)

They made Frozen II with this in mind. It's a little more grown up than the original. 

Smael Mondon

(This is how I make sure I'm not the guy that gets the "back on topic" dropped on him.)

8 hours ago, AUBwins said:

One of those how did he get her moments haha.

Very much so!

8 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I will agree with E though that Rachel McAdams is just incredibly sexy. 

I don't disagree with Rachel McAdams being sexy. There's room in the discussion for more than one sexy woman!

2 hours ago, Tiger1992 said:

Riiiiight

Honestly, now that I've seen the movies, I thoroughly enjoyed them and probably will watch them at some point when she's older, just because I love good cinema. But she turns 5 in six days, so the excuse for watching them is not only valid, it's true. I guarantee I wouldn't have watched them if not for having a little girl.

• Like 1