All Things Shaun "Worm" Shivers (merged threads)

Momma Worm

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for spending some time with us, Momma Worm. Auburn Football will benefit on and off the field from a young man like Shaun being enrolled. Weagle Weagle.  

Thank you all for having me. It has been very interesting being on this site. Im appreciative of all the support & comments whether it be negative or positive. We are blessed to be apart of the AU Family....I am proud that my son chose to be an Auburn Man #WarEagle?

1 minute ago, Momma Worm said:

I am proud that my son chose to be an Auburn Man #WarEagle?

So are we...

tenor.gif?itemid=6063355

link

Quote from Deshaun Davis

"I thought he was a speed guy, but he's kind of tough and runs inside the tackles," Davis said. "He doesn't like getting tackled. I can tell you that. He has a low center of gravity, and he's a very strong running back. He surprised me running in between the tackles. He opened my eyes a lot."

I am excited that WE finally have a small and elusive speed demon.  Ontario McCalebb will always be one of my all time favorite Auburn Tigers. He was good for 8,  11, 20 yards per touch and would tear the soul out of the competitions defense. They could load the box and limit our  running attack and be on the verge of a three and out and Ontario would sweep for 18 yards and it would crush their spirit. He had the speed but was not elsusive.  There have been small elusive speedsters that have wreaked havoc on us. Noel Devine made us look FOOLISH. Don’t forget that Randall Cobb almost single-handedly beat Cam Newton’s Auburn Tigers in Kentucky. Seemed like he had 400 yards all by himself in that game. Blinding Speed AND elusiveness is rare.  It is horrible when used against you, and oh so fun when you have it. We have not had it in a long long time.

NOW WE HAVE ONE AGAIN. WELCOME, WORM AND FAMILY. 

3 hours ago, MaitlandTiger said:

I am excited that WE finally have a small and elusive speed demon.  Ontario McCalebb will always be one of my all time favorite Auburn Tigers. He was good for 8,  11, 20 yards per touch and would tear the soul out of the competitions defense. They could load the box and limit our  running attack and be on the verge of a three and out and Ontario would sweep for 18 yards and it would crush their spirit. He had the speed but was not elsusive.  There have been small elusive speedsters that have wreaked havoc on us. Noel Devine made us look FOOLISH. Don’t forget that Randall Cobb almost single-handedly beat Cam Newton’s Auburn Tigers in Kentucky. Seemed like he had 400 yards all by himself in that game. Blinding Speed AND elusiveness is rare.  It is horrible when used against you, and oh so fun when you have it. We have not had it in a long long time.

NOW WE HAVE ONE AGAIN. WELCOME, WORM AND FAMILY. 

Don't remind me. I was at the home game vs Kentucky in '09 where Cobb DID single handedly beat us. It was hard to watch. Just flat out couldn't stop him. He willed his team down the field. Then right in front of our student section, a few yards from goal, he bounced to the outside and drove the nail in. If we can get anything CLOSE to that kind of performance we will certainly be in good shape. 

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

I just met @Momma Worm at Fan Day. My day is made! 

Awesome. You going to watch the soccer game and give the scoop?

39 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Awesome. You going to watch the soccer game and give the scoop?

Just left volleyball practice and about to walk in to the soccer match. Phone is at 20% so I doubt I’ll update much. 

@Momma Worm Wishing the best for your handsome young man this year! ? Welcome to AUFamily. As one of the few women on the forum, I'll tell you that most the guys on here are great. I've learned so much about football here and I am a 100% sunshine pumper. :jossun: I love and appreciate all that these kids do for our entertainment. If you or your son get any grief on here, I'll have your back. ? But I don't anticipate that happening. They don't allow a lot of ugliness on her. It truly is a family. War Eagle!!!

In the Malzahn offense, we have seen two running backs play the Jet Sweep role. Onterio McCalebb, and Corey Grant.

McCalebb had great top-end speed, but average acceleration. He was small, and his legs were thin, like a wide receiver's. He was successful because he could go in motion, get momentum, then he we balls-out to the edge making at most a 45 degree cut.

Grant had both great top-end speed, but also phenomenal acceleration. His legs looked like a fullback's legs. He could run the play from a standing start in the backfield. But for some reason, Grant would always try to pick his point to cut up-field, and every time he turned his head to see where the pursuit was, he lost speed. You could watch it happen. His body went from leaning forward running hard to standing tall and running slower. I do not understand why we did not coach Grant to just go as hard and fast as possible to some point on the field (such as the numbers) and then cut hard.

I hope if we use Worm on the Jet Sweep we coach Worm to use his speed like McCalebb.

7 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

@Momma Worm Wishing the best for your handsome young man this year! ? Welcome to AUFamily. As one of the few women on the forum, I'll tell you that most the guys on here are great. I've learned so much about football here and I am a 100% sunshine pumper. :jossun: I love and appreciate all that these kids do for our entertainment. If you or your son get any grief on here, I'll have your back. ? But I don't anticipate that happening. They don't allow a lot of ugliness on her. It truly is a family. War Eagle!!!

Thank you so much.... I appreciate it. #WarEagle?

More thoughts on the comparisons. Worm is probably more like Lionel James than Onterio McCalebb. Little Train was a smaller version of a normal RB physical archetype. OMac was more like a WR, long and lean. I think Worm can put some more muscle on his frame over the next few years.

We listed OMac at 5'10", and he weighed 175 lbs out of high school. He spent most of his playing career at Auburn under 170 lbs. Michael Dyer was listed at 5'9" and weighed 200 lbs out of high school. He was listed as 210 lbs in 2011, and finished his college career at 215 lbs with Louisville. Tre Mason also went from 190 lbs out of high school to 205 in 2013.

Another good comparison would be Barry Sanders. He was 5'8" and played in the NFL at 200 lbs.

I'm not saying Worm can develop into a 200 lb running back, but I think he has the potential to add 10 - 15 lbs over the next few years.

15 minutes ago, meh130 said:

More thoughts on the comparisons. Worm is probably more like Lionel James than Onterio McCalebb. Little Train was a smaller version of a normal RB physical archetype. OMac was more like a WR, long and lean. I think Worm can put some more muscle on his frame over the next few years.

We listed OMac at 5'10", and he weighed 175 lbs out of high school. He spent most of his playing career at Auburn under 170 lbs. Michael Dyer was listed at 5'9" and weighed 200 lbs out of high school. He was listed as 210 lbs in 2011, and finished his college career at 215 lbs with Louisville. Tre Mason also went from 190 lbs out of high school to 205 in 2013.

Another good comparison would be Barry Sanders. He was 5'8" and played in the NFL at 200 lbs.

I'm not saying Worm can develop into a 200 lb running back, but I think he has the potential to add 10 - 15 lbs over the next few years.

I've made the Barry Sanders comparison- in terms of size, frame and speed- before, and Darren Sproles is another one. Tarik Cohen, James White, Danny Woodhead, Dion Lewis, Dexter McCluster, Jeff Demps... Thing is, he's probably got more pop than at least a couple of those guys. 

It will be interesting to see how Worm’s size changes during his AU career.  You’re right @meh130, I don’t think Worm will get to 200lb.  

I cant remember his exact measurements based on our “official” AD numbers and what @Momma Worm told us, but I believe it was somewhere around 5’6” 170.?‍♂️   I honestly don’t see him adding much weight, because for a TF he is already jacked!  I’m not sure how much bulk he could add and keep his elite speed.  And like DD said after practice the other day, Worm isn’t a typical 170lb RB.  He brings the pain like a much larger back. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I've made the Barry Sanders comparison- in terms of size, frame and speed- before, and Darren Sproles is another one. Tarik Cohen, James White, Danny Woodhead, Dion Lewis, Dexter McCluster, Jeff Demps... Thing is, he's probably got more pop than at least a couple of those guys. 

Yeah, it’s kinda funny that the knock on Worm is that he is short, when there have been SO MANY successful short RBs in the league!  RB is one of only a few positions where you can use a short stature as an advantage.  

Archived