Woman accuses Kavanaugh of sexual assault decades ago

Proud Tiger

38 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

I doubt that the therapist hypnotized her. I do not doubt that given decades people can convince themselves that anything happened. She may be a great lady that thinks BK tried to assault her when they were kids.   

Why would she convince herself of that?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still really disappointed in a lot of our supposed conservative "intellectuals". They hyped this bull**** like crazy. 

Some realized their error (full disclosure, it was David's retweet that brought me to the thread. He realized he screwed up and memory holed it):

Some are trying to salvage something from this train wreck:

Not so above it all. Nothing like a good ol' fashioned SCOTUS fight to bring the Trumpers and Never Trumpers together. 

Don't have a lot of time to follow this story in detail.

Last I saw, this woman cannot recall when, where, and who was present (except for the accused and his friend, who both deny being there) at this alleged event, and has no witnesses willing to testify for her (other than the woman who came out a few days ago affirming her story by pure hearsay from 30 years ago, then retracted her affirmation)?

Is this still the case?

1 hour ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

Don't have a lot of time to follow this story in detail.

Last I saw, this woman cannot recall when, where, and who was present (except for the accused and his friend, who both deny being there) at this alleged event, and has no witnesses willing to testify for her (other than the woman who came out a few days ago affirming her story by pure hearsay from 30 years ago, then retracted her affirmation)?

Is this still the case?

Nope, not entirely true.  Here are a couple of links to bring you up to speed.  One is the letter she sent to Feinstein's office, the other is an interview she granted to the Washington Post when she decided to come forward and no longer remain anonymous:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/16/politics/blasey-ford-kavanaugh-letter-feinstein/index.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/california-professor-writer-of-confidential-brett-kavanaugh-letter-speaks-out-about-her-allegation-of-sexual-assault/2018/09/16/46982194-b846-11e8-94eb-3bd52dfe917b_story.html?utm_term=.15c4cb0813a1

• She remembers approximately when (summer of 1982) when she was about 15 years old.
  • She remembers it was at a house of someone she didn't know but it was near the Columbia Country Club, in Montgomery County, MD.
  • She remembers the two guys in the room attacking her and she named two other teenagers besides them that were at the party.
  • She also remembers some other details, such as that every there had one beer that night, but Kavanaugh and Judge both had started drinking earlier than everyone else and were very intoxicated.

You're right that there were no other witnesses to the assault other than the ones perpetrating it.  Of course, that is not unusual.  Hardly any sexual assaults happen at a place or time where others can see it.

Nothing in this means her allegations should be waved off and not investigated or subject to deeper questioning (of her and Judge Kavanaugh and Mark Judge, if he'll show up to do so).

What happened last night may have irrevocably tainted his candidacy, even putting aside the attempted rape accusation. 

Ed Whelan isn't even the story. It's how so many prominent folks on the right hyped the story in the lead up. I'm not sure if it's more frightening that this is because they didn't know what he was going to say, or because they did and thought this was going to be it.

It has Hatch's prints all over it. His team dropping cryptic hints to keep an eye on Whelan's twitter, for instance. Prominent conservative  journalists were abuzz.

Kavanaugh's defense is apparently going to at least partly rely on mistaken identity. 

Then it flopped with test audiences. 

On 9/17/2018 at 8:22 PM, AUDub said:

The problem is you have Rs that are now waffling. If she performs well, if this is made to look like the Rs are attacking a victim, you’re up s*** creek with the public at that point. 

HAHAHAHAHA Rs are waffling? Dude, you are actually delusional. Take off your apologist blinders for once.  This is nothing more than a hail mary by the left. She's a DNC donor and worked for Feinsteins husband. On a sliding scale of bull**** allegations, where I would put Roy Moore at a 5, this is a 10. And they are citing the fact that she took a lie detector as to her memory of the event as some kind of proof. Super coincidental timing. 

I guess next time it will be a Republican official accused of unwanted touching during his time in kindergarten. "In Ms. Dickerson's kindergarten class in 1962 at PS 119 Vice Presidential Candidate [insert Republican name] told Alice Johnson that she 'had cooties.' Ms. Johnson will be on Rachel Maddox next to discuss how she has never recovered from the traumatic incident of body shaming." 

1 minute ago, NolaAuTiger said:

HAHAHAHAHA Rs are waffling? Dude, you are actually delusional. Take off your apologist blinders for once.  This is nothing more than a hail mary by the left. She's a DNC donor and worked for Feinsteins husband. On a sliding scale of bull**** allegations, where I would put Roy Moore at a 5, this is a 10. And they are citing the fact that she took a lie detector as to her memory of the event as some kind of proof. Super coincidental timing. 

I guess next time it will be a Republican official accused of unwanted touching during his time in kindergarten. "In Ms. Dickerson's kindergarten class in 1962 at PS 119 Vice Presidential Candidate [insert Republican name] told Alice Johnson that she 'had cooties.' Ms. Johnson will be on Rachel Maddox next to discuss how she has never recovered from the traumatic incident of body shaming." 

Are you ******* for real? 

6 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I don’t think you’re delusional in real life. 

Read

The

Thread

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Nope, not entirely true.  Here are a couple of links to bring you up to speed.  One is the letter she sent to Feinstein's office, the other is an interview she granted to the Washington Post when she decided to come forward and no longer remain anonymous:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/16/politics/blasey-ford-kavanaugh-letter-feinstein/index.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/california-professor-writer-of-confidential-brett-kavanaugh-letter-speaks-out-about-her-allegation-of-sexual-assault/2018/09/16/46982194-b846-11e8-94eb-3bd52dfe917b_story.html?utm_term=.15c4cb0813a1

• She remembers approximately when (summer of 1982) when she was about 15 years old.
  • She remembers it was at a house of someone she didn't know but it was near the Columbia Country Club, in Montgomery County, MD.
  • She remembers the two guys in the room attacking her and she named two other teenagers besides them that were at the party.
  • She also remembers some other details, such as that every there had one beer that night, but Kavanaugh and Judge both had started drinking earlier than everyone else and were very intoxicated.

You're right that there were no other witnesses to the assault other than the ones perpetrating it.  Of course, that is not unusual.  Hardly any sexual assaults happen at a place or time where others can see it.

Nothing in this means her allegations should be waved off and not investigated or subject to deeper questioning (of her and Judge Kavanaugh and Mark Judge, if he'll show up to do so).

Thanks for the update.  Is this what other poster are referring to as the significant event that happened last night?  Or is there something else that happened?

I wouldn't say that nothing there means the allegations shouldn't be investigated, but it sure (still) doesn't seem like much to go on.  What if the other two people she named deny being there?  Then there's still no way to figure out any of the rest of it.

14 minutes ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

Thanks for the update.  Is this what other poster are referring to as the significant event that happened last night?  Or is there something else that happened?

What happened last night was that Ed Whelan, a prominent wonk in DC, made an absolute ass of himself on Twitter, banging out a thread based on house floorplans off of Zillow, and in the process accused a middle school teacher in Georgia of the alleged assault. 

What made it so bad was that this guy is actually very well connected, and a lot of prominent conservatives were hyping it until his "big reveal," when a lot of them slinked off with their tails between their legs. Some of the folks dropping hints are on Hatch's team. That's not a good look, and raises the question of how deep this goes. Kavanaugh's team was said to be formulating a defense that hinges on mistaken identity. 

10 minutes ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

I wouldn't say that nothing there means the allegations shouldn't be investigated, but it sure (still) doesn't seem like much to go on.  What if the other two people she named deny being there?  Then there's still no way to figure out any of the rest of it.

No, what happened last night was basically that some guy on Twitter that is apparently known in political circles but I'd never heard of, posted a thread of tweets where he attempts to identify the house in that neighborhood near the country club that fits the description of the floor plan Mrs. Ford describes in her account of the alleged sexual assault.  Then once he names a particular home, he identifies the owner of the house and a guy who was their son at the time, posts his name and photo, notes that he and Kavanaugh resemble each other and suggests Mrs. Ford mistook her attacker for Kavanaugh when it was really that guy.

On top of that, it doesn't appear to have been just the spontaneous sleuthing and observations of a random guy, but something that some Senate aides and others in the conservative political realm knew was coming and were telling people to be on the lookout for.  It comes off as a coordinated strategy and plan of attacking Mrs. Ford that some of the GOP senators were in on.

And that doesn't even begin to get into the ethical problems with a guy who is the President of the the Ethics and Public Policy Center identifying by name a person and suggesting that they tried to rape Mrs. Ford in a case of mistaken identity.  On what planet is it ever ethical to do something like that?

29 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

No, what happened last night was basically that some guy on Twitter that is apparently known in political circles but I'd never heard of, posted a thread of tweets where he attempts to identify the house in that neighborhood near the country club that fits the description of the floor plan Mrs. Ford describes in her account of the alleged sexual assault.  Then once he names a particular home, he identifies the owner of the house and a guy who was their son at the time, posts his name and photo, notes that he and Kavanaugh resemble each other and suggests Mrs. Ford mistook her attacker for Kavanaugh when it was really that guy.

On top of that, it doesn't appear to have been just the spontaneous sleuthing and observations of a random guy, but something that some Senate aides and others in the conservative political realm knew was coming and were telling people to be on the lookout for.  It comes off as a coordinated strategy and plan of attacking Mrs. Ford that some of the GOP senators were in on.

And that doesn't even begin to get into the ethical problems with a guy who is the President of the the Ethics and Public Policy Center identifying by name a person and suggesting that they tried to rape Mrs. Ford in a case of mistaken identity.  On what planet is it ever ethical to do something like that?

It appears Kavanaugh was aware of this tact.

3 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

It appears Kavanaugh was aware of this tact.

And if he was, it’s disqualifying, full stop. 

33 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

So far, I have only read about an attempted grope. But if you guys prefer to use the word rape on every response, I guess it gets a better response.

But to the question above, does this not happen in court rooms all over the country on a daily basis? Is it not possible that someone else was involved? Is it not possible a victim was so inebriated, they just don't remember and attribute everything to maybe someone they talked to or saw earlier? I'm not saying this is the case, but its not unethical to suggest a case of mistaken identity.

2 minutes ago, AUDub said:

And if he was, it’s disqualifying, full stop. 

I agree.  If Kavanaugh had advance notice that Whelan was going to use this strategy and try and name another guy as the "real" attacker, based on nothing but researching floor plans on Zillow and such, that's a severe breach of ethics.

Just now, CCTAU said:

So far, I have only read about an attempted grope. But if you guys prefer to use the word rape on every response, I guess it gets a better response.

You are insufferable. 

Just now, CCTAU said:

But to the question above, does this not happen in court rooms all over the country on a daily basis? Is it not possible that someone else was involved? Is it not possible a victim was so inebriated, they just don't remember and attribute everything to maybe someone they talked to or saw earlier? I'm not saying this is the case, but its not unethical to suggest a case of mistaken identity.

It’s unethical to accuse a middle school teacher in the age of pizzagate. 

6 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

Because what she describes is attempted rape.  And the grope wasn't attempted, it was accomplished.  But when you shove someone into a bedroom, lay on top of them using your body weight (probably 40+ lbs heavier than her?) to pin her down and render her unable to escape, start trying to remove her clothes, and then when she screams you clamp your hand over her mouth to stop her, by any basic common sense definition, it's attempted rape.  It's WAY beyond merely groping.

It's not unethical to just suggest a case of mistaken identity.

Is is HIGHLY unethical to take that a step further and publicly name a person, including photos both from back then in high school and today, that you are suggesting actually tried to rape her.  And all of it based on nothing but trying to match her description of the attack to a floor plan of a house in the area.  He isn't an investigator.  He wasn't there.  He is privy to zero inside knowledge of the situation.  Do you really not see the problem with that? 

How would you like to be minding your own business in rural Georgia somewhere teaching school and wake up to find that some prominent political wonk in DC just suggested you were the rapist in the allegations over a SCOTUS nominee that has been blanketing the airwaves for there last 3-4 days?

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

You are insufferable. 

It’s unethical to accuse a middle school teacher in the age of pizzagate. 

Sorry your feelings are hurt. Suffer more. I care not.

Alternate theories are presented in courtrooms across America on a very consistent basis.

Just now, CCTAU said:

Sorry your feelings are hurt. Suffer more. I care not.

My feelings aren’t hurt. Your arrogance given your inability to read shows just how out of your league you are here, third rate. 

Just now, CCTAU said:

Alternate theories are presented in courtrooms across America on a very consistent basis.

Yeah that’s fine and good, but Ed Whelan accused some rando middle school teacher, living and working in Georgia, minding his own damn business, of attempted rape.

Archived