Pump The Brakes!

AUFriction

4 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Stidham looked visibly upset on more than one occasion during the game too.

Don't remember seeing him smile once.  He's usually Guy Smiley during a game.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we were 4-0, I wouldn't be too, too worried. But since we are 3-1 and lost to a inferior LSU team, there's reason for worry. We have NO ROOM for error with this schedule. Just where my expectations are set, and that's to make the playoff, we have a monster of a mountain to climb after the LSU debacle.

On 9/23/2018 at 9:25 AM, WarTiger said:

Do you really believe ole Muschamp held the officials accountable :lol:  That's hilarious.  Muschamp did absolutely nothing of the sort and neither does any other assistant coach anywhere in the country.  Having tirades on the sidelines and shouting expletives at another grown man doing his job is not holding anybody accountable.   Remember we got penalized 15 yards because of one of his tirades at the officials.   That's not holding anybody accountable, that's hurting your own team.  There isn't an assistant anywhere in the country that "holds officials accountable".   The officials aren't paying any attention to any assistant coaches until they go too far like Muschamp often did as an assistant.   The head coach is responsible for any and all communications to the officials.  If he doesn't think something is right its his job to say something not any assistant coach.     The HEAD COACH will talk to the SEC office if he feels like they need to look at film and justify some calls or explain why something wasn't called.   

giphy.gif

9 hours ago, DAG said:

I didn’t fail to account for anything. Again, the guy said in the first four games the offense absolutely was not worst this year than last year. That’s a false statement . Again if you are going to say things with me, you better have data. That’s why he is in his feelings, because he didn’t think I was going to take the actual time to pull it up and number crunch. 

Now if you want to argue that the schedule was easier than last year at this time, I will agree. But since we want to add semenatics, I would offer this: my concern has always been the regression of the offense. We went to putting up 425 on Washington, to 320 on LSU, to 222 on Arkansas . Now you can chalk it up to teammeetings or hangovers , whatever. The bottomline is something has gone amiss.

Not the same like last year. Last year the biggest issue was a philosophy struggle. In the first two games, CCL and Gus absolutely were trying to figure each other out. JS was super brand new. But they never had a problem putting up yards against inferior teams.

They continuously had problems putting the ball in the red zone which is annoying and seems to be a huge problem this year as well, only now, we can’t even impose our will on a team like Arkansas (E.G. Mizzou last year). Now if you want to overlook that fact that is fine, but don’t tell me I am failing to account for something, when you are clearly failing to account for the offensive regression. 

It’s like in your opening statement. You did a lot of “if this didn’t happen and that didn’t happen, but we got better at the end, etc, etc. Of course I asked you, why didn’t you talk about 2015 and you completely overlooked that statement? Lol. 

This is just to set the record straight. I didn’t bring up the 2015 season in that previous post because that team truly lacked offensive talent. The years I mentioned were all years that we had talent, started weak, and finished strong. 

As for this post, the talent in the last 4 games was definitely better than the talent in the first four games last year. That’s all I was trying to say. 

As for hard data, you don’t have to lecture me. I’m currently a data analyst, and, before that, I was a scientist. I have plenty of experience making causal linkages from data. Quite frankly, I don’t share data in these kinds of forums very often because A) data, especially sports data, can be easily misconstrued by the untrained eye and B ) it was going to take entirely too long to pull up the kind of data that would support my point. If you want to know why I didn’t reply to your previous post, it’s because I’ve seen you get into it with people on this forum, and I don’t believe in arguing over the internet. That’s also why I have no intention to engage in this discussion with you over either of these posts any further. So, for future reference, my ignoring your responses to things it not me admitting you are right, nor is it me having nothing to say back. I’m just not going to engage an aggressive personality in an internet argument.

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

This is just to set the record straight. I didn’t bring up the 2015 season in that previous post because that team truly lacked offensive talent. The years I mentioned were all years that we had talent, started weak, and finished strong. 

As for this post, the talent in the last 4 games was definitely better than the talent in the first four games last year. That’s all I was trying to say. 

As for hard data, you don’t have to lecture me. I’m currently a data analyst, and, before that, I was a scientist. I have plenty of experience making causal linkages from data. Quite frankly, I don’t share data in these kinds of forums very often because A) data, especially sports data, can be easily misconstrued by the untrained eye and B ) it was going to take entirely too long to pull up the kind of data that would support my point. If you want to know why I didn’t reply to your previous post, it’s because I’ve seen you get into it with people on this forum, and I don’t believe in arguing over the internet. That’s also why I have no intention to engage in this discussion with you over either of these posts any further. So, for future reference, my ignoring your responses to things it not me admitting you are right, nor is it me having nothing to say back. I’m just not going to engage an aggressive personality in an internet argument.

Way to go DAG...you pissed off the scientist/analyst...

Pump the breaks indeed! People, the answer to the mystery has been right under our noses. Auburn came into the game as a 30-point favorite and covered by just 1 point. Gus was just trying not to embarrass his friend Chad Morris while keeping the Vegas bookies and a majority of the Auburn family happy. You can't please everybody though!

6 hours ago, AUFriction said:

Don’t let them get you down man! I’ve not been on here long but I can tell there’s several on here who thinks their  ? don’t stink. WDE! 

What worries me is that this coaching staff knows what they have, and they refuse to use it. Ryan Davis got 9 touches last week. That’s all well and good. They seem to be using him how they should. But Seth Willams got 2? Canella got 1? Slayton got 2, Worm got 2 carries up the middle? No Eli. No Hastings, No Mclain, and no passes to Cox(even though it was eating LSU up just last week). They are refusing to use their talent. We should be using our good armed QB and his ultimated supply of receivers to open up the box and give our young but talented running backs room to work. It’s a simple fix and Gus and Chip just seemed determined to ram this power running offense down our throats. 

On 9/23/2018 at 12:10 AM, DAG said:

You don’t have to advocate. We don’t have a choice but to allow Gus more time as he will be our head coach for the foreseeable future barring a catastrophic collapse or a Petrino situation. In the mean time, I think a football forum should be used for the purpose of discussion whether you agree with it or not. One’s man complaint is another man’s critique. I for one enjoy hearing others opinions and if I don’t agree or feel it’s annoying I either respond or ignore the post. Happy postings. The sun will rise tomorrow and we will still discuss and dissect this game until we play again next week. 

Being stuck with Gus sounds like a married man upset that he can’t ever be with another girl and he can’t cheat on her because it’ll cost him too much... lol

23 hours ago, DAG said:

Jeff in the past I’ve messaged you and you’ve messaged me via PM, both verbally aggressive and I was immature . I can’t speak for you . However, that is the past. That is why it went to PMs. 

You PMed me aggressive af over a conversation that had nothing to do with you. And I was actually non aggressive despite the fact that you clearly went across the line. Want me to screenshot? Your edit game is apparently strong though. I already replied before you thought to edit this post... Two days ago, you posted about people taking themselves too seriously, but yet yesterday you felt the need to call Auburn fans  “newbies” and felt it was your calling to call out any post that you didnt agree with. If you want to take the Internet villain role and “go Neegan on you all,” have at it, but be sure to know that I see right through your internet cowboy act. 

12 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Pump the breaks indeed! People, the answer to the mystery has been right under our noses. Auburn came into the game as a 30-point favorite and covered by just 1 point. Gus was just trying not to embarrass his friend Chad Morris while keeping the Vegas bookies and a majority of the Auburn family happy. You can't please everybody though!

I am starting to think he was purposely holding back stuff to use, simply because well why wouldn’t he? There was no need to run anything fancy on Arky and put it on tape for our decent and good opponents. They weren’t going to beat us either way. Might as well run the most vanilla plays ever......Yep that’s my story now and I’m sticking to it. I refuse to believe that the coaching staff doesn’t get that you can’t run two plays over and over again.

23 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I am starting to think he was purposely holding back stuff to use, simply because well why wouldn’t he? There was no need to run anything fancy on Arky and put it on tape for our decent and good opponents. They weren’t going to beat us either way. Might as well run the most vanilla plays ever......Yep that’s my story now and I’m sticking to it. I refuse to believe that the coaching staff doesn’t get that you can’t run two plays over and over again.

Not attacking you because I think I get where you're coming from, but attacking this philosophy if it is indeed Gus's thought process.

We. Aren't. Good. Enough. To. Do. That.

If we had blown out LSU, then it would make sense. If we had returned a bunch of quality starters on the OL, it would make sense. If our covering the spread had been a function of moving the ball up and down the field and not multiple big plays from our ST and D, it would make sense. But none of that is true. We are not executing the plays that we have been running. We have looked like an unprepared mess.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:53 AM, DAG said:

We haven't won in 10 games in a long while.. This is like when your parents say, if you get an A in this class, I will buy you a new cell phone, but you have made Cs all through high school lol.

Geez in my era an A was worth an 8-track............The Best of Cat Steven's.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

You PMed me aggressive af over a conversation that had nothing to do with you. And I was actually non aggressive despite the fact that you clearly went across the line. Want me to screenshot? Your edit game is apparently strong though. I already replied before you thought to edit this post... Two days ago, you posted about people taking themselves too seriously, but yet yesterday you felt the need to call Auburn fans  “newbies” and felt it was your calling to call out any post that you didnt agree with. If you want to take the Internet villain role and “go Neegan on you all,” have at it, but be sure to know that I see right through your internet cowboy act. 

Do what you want. As a man if you feel some type a way about it , you would handle it one on one privately. That was so long ago I completely disregarded it and clearly you are still upset about it. If you feel vindicated chasing me around an Internet forum threatening to screen shot things then fine.. I chose to take it to the PM where it should stay. You don’t like me as a poster that is fine. I don’t particularly care for your posting style which is why I normally don’t interact with you. So again, I am more than willing to address this issue in the PMs. If you don’t want to do that then just leave me alone man haha.

There are several people on this forum who I have had clashes with or disagreements with and we took it to the PMs, hashed it out and deaded it on some grown folks stuff. Yes I have been immature in the past and said things I definitely regretted but it was handled in an appropriate manner.  So again, PM me or just ignore me. 

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Being stuck with Gus sounds like a married man upset that he can’t ever be with another girl and he can’t cheat on her because it’ll cost him too much... lol

You going through something Zeek 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

You going through something Zeek 

Out of likes but I left the laughing reaction.

No I'm good but I have a lot of friends who got married in their late teens struggling :no:

Just now, Zeek said:

Out of likes but I left the laughing reaction.

No I'm good but I have a lot of friends who got married in their late teens struggling :no:

Ouch but yes I definitely agree with your example haha

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Not attacking you because I think I get where you're coming from, but attacking this philosophy if it is indeed Gus's thought process.

We. Aren't. Good. Enough. To. Do. That.

If we had blown out LSU, then it would make sense. If we had returned a bunch of quality starters on the OL, it would make sense. If our covering the spread had been a function of moving the ball up and down the field and not multiple big plays from our ST and D, it would make sense. But none of that is true. We are not executing the plays that we have been running. We have looked like an unprepared mess.

I get what you’re saying. We definitely aren’t executing the plays we’ve been running. What I’m driving at (half jokingly) is that the plays we’ve been running are vanilla as hell. We run screens and RB dives. Even the announcers last Sat were saying, we aren’t really attacking down field with our passing game. Point is, the guy didn’t really have to run those plays against Arky, so why would he. Yea we had some calls that Stidham either overthrew or panicked and scrambled, but the play calling was fed more on the vanilla side against Arky. Now LSU was another story. I think Gus and Chip panicked after Stidham threw those picks and decided not to let him throw as much. 

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I get what you’re saying. We definitely aren’t executing the plays we’ve been running. What I’m driving at (half jokingly) is that the plays we’ve been running are vanilla as hell. We run screens and RB dives. Even the announcers last Sat were saying, we aren’t really attacking down field with our passing game. Point is, the guy didn’t really have to run those plays against Arky, so why would he. Yea we had some calls that Stidham either overthrew or panicked and scrambled, but the play calling was fed more on the vanilla side against Arky. Now LSU was another story. I think Gus and Chip panicked after Stidham threw those picks and decided not to let him throw as much. 

Totally picked up on the dash of humor. And you're not the only one to toss it out there as a possibility. And it is as valid a reason as any to explain what Gus is thinking.

I just personally hate that Gus might be thinking that. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Totally picked up on the dash of humor. And you're not the only one to toss it out there as a possibility. And it is as valid a reason as any to explain what Gus is thinking.

I just personally hate that Gus might be thinking that. 

I mean I dont like it either. I think we are talented enough to just run our offense and make teams stop it, but Gus has always been like that. Point is, we weren’t good enough to do that against LSU(I don’t think he wanted to originally), but we are absolutely good enough to pull that against Arkansas. They were never going to be able to score enough on our defense to win. For me personally, I guess I’d rather think that Gus was intentionally holding back, rather than think he’s just an incompetent stubborn ass hat, after all these years and mistakes. It’s one of the two. 

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

That was so long ago I completely disregarded it and clearly you are still upset about it. I

I’m actually not. Just don’t say that I was aggressive and immature to you in any PMs. Because I wasn’t. Have a good one. 

6 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I mean I dont like it either. I think we are talented enough to just run our offense and make teams stop it, but Gus has always been like that. Point is, we weren’t good enough to do that against LSU(I don’t think he wanted to originally), but we are absolutely good enough to pull that against Arkansas. They were never going to be able to score enough on our defense to win. For me personally, I guess I’d rather think that Gus was intentionally holding back, rather than think he’s just an incompetent stubborn ass hat, after all these years and mistakes. It’s one of the two. 

I'm going to have to go with stubborn ass hat because here we are in year SIX and the fans all have the exact same frustrations and questions about the coaching staff. 

It never ends, it's always the same stuff every single year post '13.  We could drag up old threads from '15/'16/'17/'18 and I swear some of us old posters on this board typed the exact same material, and we've done it every year. 

[Who's calling the plays? why does the O look so vanilla? why do the same thing over and over again when it's not working? players look confused - sideline communication is sketchy - oline doesn't know their assignments - what the hell is the oline doing? is Gus holding back the playbook early?  why don't we use the TE? why such an elementary route tree? Gus has to have a true DT QB to make his O run - why can't CGM make in-game adjustments? why can't our HC evolve his offense and tailor it to his personnel?  why does it take our coaches the entire month of Sept to figure out their oline/offense?]

Archived