Clemson Grad Transfer QB Kelly Bryant (Mizzou)

Auburn2Eugene

3 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Put the 2017 IB tape on ... bloody awful passer

Yeah. He has no chance of improving yet he did.

5 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Nope, unlike 2010 Cam, he shies away from contact.

We should just stop discussing this because to our eyes we clearly watched different players. No way we are going to agree on this. Almost feels like you brought his name up for the sole purpose of starting a debate.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

About 20 minutes before the show ended.

So we have two of you who heard the same conversation. One is claiming Matthews stated Mizzou. The other is claiming Matthews stated AU.

Interesting.

Related image

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

About 20 minutes before the show ended.

I probably heard him about 40 mins before the show ended and then got home and stopped listening. Must’ve been some info that broke within Rivals around 530 

58 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Bo is coming to develop Malzahn...   lol. Yep I cracked that joke. 

I heard Kristi was taking that position.

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yeah. He has no chance of improving yet he did.

We should just stop discussing this because to our eyes we clearly watched different players. No way we are going to agree on this. Almost feels like you brought his name up for the sole purpose of starting a debate.

Of course he improved his passing this year when he's had a stable of WRs that Tom Brady is envious of.

Hurts does not run the zone read. Never has at UA. He definitely shies away from contact, unlike 2010 Cam. He only gains his rushing yardage when he can't find a WR, which was quite often last year when those WRs were pups.

Point is, he would be a terrible fit in Gus' offense. Bryant is a much better fit because he has run the zone read and doesn't shy away from contact.

I do believe Hurts could flourish for certain programs next season. Mizzou perhaps. Florida most definitely. Definitely not our's.

I brought his name up because he's long been a likely transfer candidate. But dink has had Jedi mind control over him and he may stay put.

13 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Must’ve been some info that broke within Rivals around 530

Yep. Since Bryan broke the news publically on radio I am going to post  the quote from his site & where it came from.

Just passing on some new info...

Kelly Bryant is scheduled to announce his decision Tuesday morning, and it might not be good news for Auburn. @RivalsWoody, who has contacts within Bryant's inner circle, is hearing the former Clemson quarterback will commit to Missouri.

3 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

We really need something good to happen for this program.

Eh, I don’t think Bryant would have made much difference in the record next year. 

3 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Eh, I don’t think Bryant would have made much difference in the record next year. 

Maybe 2 wins more but I wouldn't even bet on that So maybe 8-4 instead of 6-6 really who the hell knows

5 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Agreed. 1 game at most.

1 hour ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I do. At least 2 wins more. From 5 to 7 wins.

That's not much difference in the grand scheme of things when it would the HC cost his job.

12 minutes ago, jared52 said:

I agree. But I want KB not just because of record but for Bo to sit out a year and learn about the SEC and the O. 

41 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That's not much difference in the grand scheme of things when it would cost his job.

Does anyone honestly believe Gus keeps his job post-2019?

Sure, it's possible (insert Jim Carrey gif) Gus lands Bryant and wins the West like many of us envisioned when Gus landed Stidham two years ago, but IMO, the difference in the returning rosters post-2016 and post-2018 are night and day.

Without Bryant, we are at best a 7-win team. With him, we are at best a 9-win team. If you are Gus, you are recruiting Bryant as hard as you recruited Stidham. Two extra wins is everything as a HC. IMO, to Gus, landing Bryant is more important than landing a new OC.

Well with our OC a question mark the night before it’s hard to see him commit to us.  I know I keep saying it, but I am very excited for Nix.  A-Day should be exciting.  

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

He's experienced, he's a winner, he's tough and he knows how to run the kind of offense that Gus was successful with four years ago. 

I feel the need to mention what you might already know, which is that sacks count against rushing stats in CFB and ~4 ypc is actually pretty good for a P5 QB. There are only 8 P5 QBs this season with a higher average than Kelly's 3.5 from 2017, and two of them play in Georgia Tech's triple option offense.

No argument here.

I will point out, though, that he had 11 rushing touchdowns to go with those 13 TD passes and roughly 1,000 yards more from scrimmage. Overall, that's a vastly more effective QB than Stidham. 665 yards would've easily made him our 2nd-leading rusher this season. 

I'll throw out one more stat, related back to that threat to run. Clemson's top 2 RBs last season each only had 107 carries. Each averaged 6.3 ypc or more. They also had 3 WRs with 49 or more catches and 500 or more receiving yards. Who knows how much KB's threat to run opened up the rest of the offense? They still "only" finished 32nd in total offense- we finished 25th- but that is an offensive balance that Gus could only dream of. 

Are we intentionally going after Bryant instead of someone like Tate? I don't know. If that's your question, I'm with you.

Otherwise, if Bryant is the best we can do, then we need to do it IMO. I've seen Willis make *terrible* decisions with the ball. Nix and Sandberg will be freshmen. Gatewood likely isn't destined to play QB at Auburn. It makes sense to go after a gamer for next year.

Again, though, I'm not sure if Bryant is the best available. And I'm not saying he'll take us to the promised land. He might not even win the job. I just see the reasoning here. 

You make some valid points. I guess we were spoiled by Nick Marshall and Cam Newton getting 5-6+ ypc.  I mean to be fair I'm probably being a little overly critical of his running ability because we've been spoiled by those guys. Either way I don't ever remember being impressed by his rushing highlights, he gets some  decent gains at times but isnt a consistent threat to break a long TD run and certainly never looked all that fast.  He only had 4 20yd+ runs last year.  

Im not saying he is bad. I just don't think he is a good choice for a one and done. I would rather develop one of our younger guys than have a one year band aid. If we could bring in a superstud for a one and done then that is a different story. For example if Khalil Tate were transferring and chose to come here Gus would be getting a new 7 year contract extension one year from now.  That guy is like a  Nick Marshall clone but better.

27 minutes ago, weathergeakal said:

I agree. But I want KB not just because of record but for Bo to sit out a year and learn about the SEC and the O. 

He’s going to have to learn a new O in 2020 anyway. 

40 minutes ago, jared52 said:

I mean more in the grand scheme of things. Getting the Bryant pickup would boost some excitement around here. Right now, the football program looks pretty bleak. I’m hoping for us to just get some good news soon of some sort 

I’ve been saying for awhile now that if Khalil Tate decides to transfer that he’s the one that I’d like to get. He would be amazing in the zone read offense we knew and loved.

Archived