Clemson Grad Transfer QB Kelly Bryant (Mizzou)

Auburn2Eugene

13 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Tate is a freak athlete like our guy Nick Marshall. Kelly Bryant as a "runner" is way way overblown. He is a better runner than stidham sure but people overrate his ability to scramble. Tate is a  much better player and a lot more talented. 

Bryant almost seems more like a Dak Prescott type. More rhino than gazelle. Maybe not as good of a QB overall. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

At some point we are going to have to want a good season next year,  regardless of who our coach is.  

I have loved AU football through every coach we have had dating back to when I was just learning about the game (Barfield to Dye).  I love the team and the spirit of AU, and that will not change. 

We all want to Gus and Auburn to be wildly successful.   Gus' ability as a coach is the issue, not how much we love Auburn or wish for success.  Separate subjects, but one impacts the other.

War Eagle on this happy Friday!!  

16 hours ago, ellitor said:

Also heard his running stats were down because of  Sumlin coming in to coach. :dunno:

If we miss on KB there will be a thread on KT almost immediately.

That is very accurate. I watched many of their games. Even when mostly healthy....they handicapped him for sure. When they mixed in the pass with allowing him more freedom to take off and run when needed is when they looked good on offense. He certainly missed Rich Rod.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Bryant almost seems more like a Dak Prescott type. More rhino than gazelle. Maybe not as good of a QB overall. 

Agree. I think Bryant is a nice QB and would be much needed considering our QB situation next year. But i'd rather have Tate as well. Again, it would be good news to have Bryant. I just don't see Bryant making the same impact as Cam or Nick but i think he'll help us not have a horrible season next year for sure.

3 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Agree. I think Bryant is a nice QB and would be much needed considering our QB situation next year. But i'd rather have Tate as well. Again, it would be good news to have Bryant. I just don't see Bryant making the same impact as Cam or Nick but i think he'll help us not have a horrible season next year for sure.

Perfectly stated IMO. 

Tate has the ability to be electric for us IMO. He was on the Heisman hopeful list heading into the year for a reason

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Tate has the ability to be electric for us IMO. He was on the Heisman hopeful list heading into the year for a reason

So was JS, so there’s that!

22 minutes ago, toddc said:

So was JS, so there’s that!

Not as a runner like Tate.  JS’s  electricity was in his passing. 

The more I think about it the more it makes sense. Tate underwhelmed a little bit under Sumlin relative to expectations and Gus looks to be a dead man walking. 

With their powers combined we could have the most Auburn season ever to follow up this disaster we are navigating right now! Yup I just talked myself into it. I'M ALL IN ON THE TATE TRAIN! 

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

The more I think about it the more it makes sense. Tate underwhelmed a little bit under Sumlin relative to expectations and Gus looks to be a dead man walking. 

With their powers combined we could have the most Auburn season ever to follow up this disaster we are navigating right now! Yup I just talked myself into it. I'M ALL IN ON THE TATE TRAIN! 

He still has to decide if he is going to transfer. I thought he had decided when his name came up yesterday but he hasn't.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He still has to decide if he is going to transfer. I thought he had decided when his name came up yesterday but he hasn't.

Ahh damn. I thought it was official. Woops. I can still dream though!! 

Most current article I could find on Tate

Rumors swirled early in the week that Tate would transfer. That remains a possibility.

The topic did not come up in initial discussions between Tate and UA coach Kevin Sumlin, who is expected to conduct season-ending interviews with players in the coming days. Asked after the Nov. 24 season finale against Arizona State whether he planned to be part of the program next season, Tate replied: “Next question.”

Tate and offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone, who doubles as the quarterbacks coach, didn’t always see eye to eye in their first season together. Still, Tate passed for a career-high 2,530 yards and 26 touchdowns with only eight interceptions.

Tate didn’t run as much or as often as he did in 2017, when he rushed for a team-high 1,411 yards. Part of the drop-off stemmed from an ankle injury Tate suffered in Week 2; part of it stemmed from Mazzone’s system, which doesn’t have as many designed QB runs as Rich Rodriguez’s scheme; and part of it stemmed from Tate’s desire to become a more polished pocket passer.

Tate’s options include returning, transferring or declaring for the NFL draft. In order to play immediately next season at another FBS school, Tate would have to graduate by spring. It’s not known whether he’s on track to do that.

Tate isn’t close to being an NFL-caliber quarterback at the moment, but he could raise his stock by returning to Arizona for his senior season, finding a middle ground with Mazzone and improving his leadership skills, body language and post-loss comportment. Tate possesses rare talent, and Sumlin has noted that Tate is capable of making throws that few others can.

If Tate were to move on, Arizona likely would open 2019 with a quarterback who has little, if any, college experience. The candidates would include holdovers Rhett Rodriguez, Jamarye Joiner and Kevin Doyle, plus incoming freshman Grant Gunnell.

Rodriguez will be a junior next year and doesn’t possess the upside of the others. Joiner, who made brief appearances in two games, and Doyle will be redshirt freshmen. Gunnell leaves St. Pius X High School in Houston as the all-time leading passer in Texas prep history.

image.png

5 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

In order to play immediately next season at another FBS school, Tate would have to graduate by spring. It’s not known whether he’s on track to do that.

Keith indicated the other day he would if he were to transfer FWIW.

Kelly Bryant has arrived in Auburn.

r.png

21 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Does Gus even know who Khalil Tate is?

Yes. AU is interested if he transfers & we miss on KB.

Hey, E. I haven’t ventured over into recruiting areas lately but this tweet caught my attention.

Doesn’t seem like we’d be in the picture with all of this going on right now

8 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Hey, E. I haven’t ventured over into recruiting areas lately but this tweet caught my attention.

Doesn’t seem like we’d be in the picture with all of this going on right now

KB will have a much better receivers at Auburn than Mizzou. Mizzou was senior heavy this season and will lose a lot of talent. This could or could not work for us. If KB wants to have any kind of chance to possibly win more games in a season then we are the obvious choice. My gut that has lost 75 pounds over the past 2 years tells me his is coming the Auburn!  Gut don't fail me now per Little Feet!

Just now, doc4aday said:

KB will have a much better receivers at Auburn than Mizzou. Mizzou was senior heavy this season and will lose a lot of talent. This could or could not work for us. If KB wants to have any kind of chance to possibly win more games in a season then we are the obvious choice. My gut that has lost 75 pounds over the past 2 years tells me his is coming the Auburn!  Gut don't fail me now per Little Feet!

Feel bad for the kid. He'll be put in a situation he can't succeed. 

3 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I saw he’s visiting us right now?

2 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

If he has NFL aspirations, he'd be better off going somewhere that can develop his skills at reading a defense and working through his progressions.

2 minutes ago, selias said:

If he has NFL aspirations, he'd be better off going somewhere that can develop his skills at reading a defense and working through his progressions.

If we are able to get a new OC that is an excellent QB coach and a miracle happens with Gus then he could develop skills playing at Auburn.  Will this happen? probably not, but why not dream folks!

5 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

If we are able to get a new OC that is an excellent QB coach and a miracle happens with Gus then he could develop skills playing at Auburn.  Will this happen? probably not, but why not dream folks!

doc...yeah, I got nothing. Sorry, you are a clearly a true optomist

So Bryant is down to Auburn and Missouri? Dude must seriously love being a Tiger. 

Archived