Kentucky at Missouri

WarTiger

Kentucky just defeated Missouri 15-14.   Kentucky's offense was awful all game.  Trailing in the 4th, 14-3, they got a punt return for a score.  Then got the ball with 1:20 to play and 1 timeout trailing 14-9 and got it down the field to the 20.  Took a sack.  With 4 seconds to play, they throw it to the corner of the endzone, time expires, but defensive pass interference on Missouri.   1st and goal at the 2 after time expired for 1 untimed down.  QB throws to the front left corner of the endzone and gets a completion and touchdown to win the game.   Great game.

3 minutes ago, jared52 said:

The PI in the end zone save them. Awful call. 

But you gotta be lucky to go undefeated. 

I disagree. I thought the call was super easy.  The defensive player cut him off his route to the corner of the endzone and forced him out of bounds. He was also bodying him toward the sideline forcing him away from the ball (which he caught anyway but out of bounds).  Without the interference its probably a touchdown.

49 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

There was a time that I thought Barry Odom might be a really good coach....

Don’t feel bad. Felt the same way about Mr. Freshwater. :(

I thought the PI could be on the offense.  A LOT of contact from both players.  Officiating seems to be VERY uneven lately.  Saw a flagrant targeting in the USCe vs UTK game and no call.

UK is now 7-1....won't be undefeated.  UGA will likely destroy them.  Would like see them vs. LSU in Atlanta the 1st weekend in December.....

45 minutes ago, jared52 said:

The PI in the end zone save them. Awful call. 

But you gotta be lucky to go undefeated. 

My adult son and I watched the end of game together. The officiating was so bad it was flat out comical! The receiver was two steps out of bounds and all over the defender however it’s the defender that gets called for pass interference. Then on the touchdown play, the tight end, lined up in the slot “pushed his defender off” so bad he almost knocked him over, then ran a out pattern and caught a touchdown pass with no flag thrown. Couldn’t even get upset because it was “such ridiculous officiating” we just sat and laughed out loud! 

I’m telling you it’s completely hilarious. If you didn’t get a chance to see the game, watch the end of the game replay on SEC network and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

48 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

I disagree. I thought the call was super easy.  The defensive player cut him off his route to the corner of the endzone and forced him out of bounds. He was also bodying him toward the sideline forcing him away from the ball (which he caught anyway but out of bounds).  Without the interference its probably a touchdown.

The ball was uncatchable thrown at least 4 yards out of the back of the Endzone. The contact was initiated and continued by the offensive receiver not the defender.

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

The UK receiver extended his arms to try and get separation to start with. The Mizzou defender was facing the ball. If the DB impeded the UK receiver, then the receiver wouldn't have been able to get behind the DB. It should have been a no call. 

Maybe you'll see this video before it gets taken down:

1 hour ago, penguin149 said:

UK is now 7-1....won't be undefeated.  UGA will likely destroy them.  Would like see them vs. LSU in Atlanta the 1st weekend in December.....

Oops, I forgot they had a loss. Should be 2 though. 

2 hours ago, WarTiger said:

WT, I know you being an official are quick to jump to defend your brethren, but this was far from “super easy”. Check a replay and see the WR initiated contact and basically rode it through the defender who was in position to play the ball. Is a WR allowed to run through a DB in position to make a play? If so, that’s a terrible rule. 

If the WR doesn’t reach out to push the DB out of the way, I might see it your way, but there was way too much contact from the WR for my tastes and I don’t really have a dog in this fight. 

9 hours ago, jared52 said:

WT, I know you being an official are quick to jump to defend your brethren, but this was far from “super easy”. Check a replay and see the WR initiated contact and basically rode it through the defender who was in position to play the ball. Is a WR allowed to run through a DB in position to make a play? If so, that’s a terrible rule. 

If the WR doesn’t reach out to push the DB out of the way, I might see it your way, but there was way too much contact from the WR for my tastes and I don’t really have a dog in this fight. 

9 times out of 10 the defender is going to get called for that even though the initial contact was made by the receiver.  The TD was definitely a push off that should have been called. 

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

9 times out of 10 the defender is going to get called for that even though the initial contact was made by the receiver.  The TD was definitely a push off that should have been called. 

Not just a push off but they could've almost called the WR for trying to make a bobblehead doll out of the DB.  The only thing the DB was guilty of was excellent coverage.  Not sure how anybody outside of KY could agree that was a good call.

With that said, I'm SO hoping UK can beat Jawja this year and upset their SEC plans so I won't complain 😉.

13 hours ago, AU-24 said:

The ball was uncatchable thrown at least 4 yards out of the back of the Endzone. The contact was initiated and continued by the offensive receiver not the defender.

There is absolutely no possible way you can say the ball was uncatchable when the receiver actually caught it.  Also, looking at the video posted above and when he caught the ball, his foot is literally right next to the white line and is close to touching the pylon in the corner of the endzone.  So, there is absolutely no possible way the ball was thrown "at least 4 yards out of the back of the endzone".   A ball thrown at least 4 yards out of bounds doesn't get caught this close to the endzone.

We can agree to disagree about the PI call because that's completely subjective and opinion.  I can guarantee you that officials would be split on this and that some would have not called anything there, which looking back on it now, would have probably been the better option.  There are some that would call DPI there and possibly a few that would call OPI.     There were several other DPI calls yesterday in games that were just attrocious, IMO.

kentucky-missouri.jpg

11 hours ago, jared52 said:

I'm not at all quick to defend anybody.  See my previous post on this.  The WR has to have a right to run his route, but it is also the responsibility of the offensive player to avoid contact.  The defensive player can't cut off his route and if he continues to run his route he has to step out of bounds to get where he was supposed to go, which means if he does and comes back in to touch it, its illegal touching.    All this to say that's what makes officiating a play like this so difficult.  It's one that polling 50 officials would get a split on whether it was a penalty or nothing.  Given what was on the line here, after the fact, it would have probably been best to just have a no -call there.   I will say that in these situations, the PI should be extremely obvious to everybody watching to call it there.

2 hours ago, around4ever said:

I didn't even notice that push off when I watched the game live.   That was an easy call to make and it should have been offensive pass interference.  That was as obvious as it gets.

I got to thinking last night I probably should’ve just politely said I disagree, and we can agree to disagree and still post. I should’ve handled it better. My apologies.

21 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

UK is having one of those seasons....wish it was us

Probably come crashing down next week but maybe not. We shall see. The KY crowd will do their part!

Archived