Climate change has intensified hurricane rainfall, and now we know how much

homersapien

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest climate change threat to human existence next to ourselves....

Related image

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

The biggest climate change threat to human existence next to ourselves....

Related image

And presumably, if scientists warned us of such a meteor on a collision course with earth, it would be called a hoax by AGW deniers.

Speaking of meteors, PBSNH had a fascinating segment tonight on NASA's plan to collect samples from one that's going to come pretty close to us.  (Attention all Engineers - you will love their solution!)

Can't link it now, will try later.

On 11/25/2018 at 6:28 PM, augolf1716 said:

zzzzzzzzzzz

Best post in this thread with lots of yada yada but no changed minds as usual. I'm in  Oregon for a week. The nuts here are tree huggers and all is normal.

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

Best post in this thread with lots of yada yada but no changed minds as usual. I'm in  Oregon for a week. The nuts here are tree huggers and all is normal.

You know, you and golf could just ignore this thread instead of embarrassing yourselves by posting on it.

On 11/28/2018 at 7:29 PM, homersapien said:

Speaking of meteors, PBSNH had a fascinating segment tonight on NASA's plan to collect samples from one that's going to come pretty close to us.  (Attention all Engineers - you will love their solution!)

Can't link it now, will try later.

Here's that link regarding the NASA meteor mission:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/how-this-spacecraft-will-sample-an-asteroids-rocks-without-even-landing-on-it

On 11/28/2018 at 7:47 AM, homersapien said:

Care to make a substantive comment on the subject?

No, I didn't think so.

Nothing to say. Question asked and answered. And not refuted.

Why it's impossible to discuss AGW without eventually bringing up Trump:

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/12/3/18123310/cop24-trump-paris-climate-agreement

The “Trump effect” threatens the future of the Paris climate agreement

The accord depends on trust and good faith. Trump is offering the opposite.

(And let's face it.  Deniers aren't denying because they have plausible scientific reasons for doing so.)

Instead of all this arguing about IF there is Global Warming, why don't all the folks who acknowledge and are concerned about it, do something about it.  Turn off your AC in the summertime, set heat at 62 in the winter time, sell your private jets, sell your cars (unless they are electric), take public transportation, walk instead of calling a cab or limo, quit going to malls, turn off the video games, tvs, computers etc..... if everyone who is concerned about the planet would do these simple things, the planet would not be heating up as fast.   

Just talking, with no action, seems to be worse than those folks that have not accepted that we are experiencing global warming. As they say, put your money where your mouth is and set an example for the rest of the world.

Climate change and pollution is real. Science doesn’t lie. Neither does political bias. 

2 hours ago, LakeBum said:

Instead of all this arguing about IF there is Global Warming, why don't all the folks who acknowledge and are concerned about it, do something about it.  Turn off your AC in the summertime, set heat at 62 in the winter time, sell your private jets, sell your cars (unless they are electric), take public transportation, walk instead of calling a cab or limo, quit going to malls, turn off the video games, tvs, computers etc..... if everyone who is concerned about the planet would do these simple things, the planet would not be heating up as fast.   

Just talking, with no action, seems to be worse than those folks that have not accepted that we are experiencing global warming. As they say, put your money where your mouth is and set an example for the rest of the world.

First, speak for yourself. 

Secondly, there is plenty of personal initiative being taken.  Problem is, it will take everyone's efforts, not just the very few who are doing as you suggest.

But you make a very good point about setting an example for the rest of the world - see the above post on Trump's example.

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

Climate change and pollution is real. Science doesn’t lie. Neither does political bias

:dunno:  Seems to me that political bias - exhibited in the context of science - is just a form of lying to yourself, self-delusion, if you will.

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

Why it's impossible to discuss AGW without eventually bringing up Trump:

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/12/3/18123310/cop24-trump-paris-climate-agreement

The “Trump effect” threatens the future of the Paris climate agreement

The accord depends on trust and good faith. Trump is offering the opposite.

(And let's face it.  Deniers aren't denying because they have plausible scientific reasons for doing so.)

I am curious as to why you thought this was funny, EMT?  :dunno:

34 minutes ago, homersapien said:

First, speak for yourself. 

Secondly, there is plenty of personal initiative being taken.  Problem is, it will take everyone's efforts, not just the very few who are doing as you suggest.

But you make a very good point about setting an example for the rest of the world - see the above post on Trump's example.

Wow, really??  I do speak for myself.  

Secondly, I thought most of the world was in agreement (except Trump and a few right wingers) that there was global warming, so I don't get where you say a few?  That seems like a large majority of the people of the world.  If only a few hundred million Americans and a few hundred Europeans ACTED, it would make a significant impact, I would imagine. 

It just seems like a lot of people what to complain about what other folks should do,  but when it comes to doing anything about it, they sit on their hands.  

It is similar to the folks who bellyache about why taxes should be higher, but don't ever think they could just double on their own payment to the government on their own free will. (Warren Buffett comes to mind, but there are a lot more that whine about tax cuts, but don't feel strongly enough to act on it.) 

I would hope they aren't a bunch of sheep that have to be told what to do by the government!

I was just reading today about flat earthers.  There was a news story going around about a resurrected conspiracy theory where some flat earthers think Australia doesn't exist.  It's an elaborate worldwide conspiracy begun when Britain wanted to rid itself of about 160,000 criminals and concocted a story about shipping them off to a made up island far away when they were really executing them at sea, and now all the world governments are in on it.  And I just thought about all the elaborate 'scientific' explanations the FE crowd has for believing the earth is flat.  I thought "how nutty."  They literally think all the science and other evidence:  photos from space, the moon landing, satellites, GPS - it's all faked and part of some elaborate conspiracy.  Nothing you say will convince them otherwise because they have their science and you have yours and neither side puts any stock in the other's view on it.

Then I started thinking about the debate over climate change.  One side is utterly convinced by science they find credible that climate change is happening, it's rapidly intensifying, it is being made worse by human activity and we need to take action to lessen the impact and hopefully reverse the damage.  And they look with disdain upon those who doubt the science and their alternative theories and scientific backing for those theories.  The other side is completely convinced that climate change either isn't happening, or if it is, it's not caused or exacerbated to any significant degree by human activity.  It's part of a normal climate cycle of the earth and the sun and nothing we do or don't do will make any difference, and that the efforts put forth to try and fix or reverse it are part of a conspiracy to exert control, enforce taxation worldwide, push a radical environmentalist agenda, etc.  They have science and studies they believe and they think the other side's science is fake or altered to push this agenda.  No matter how much data or evidence those who believe in human-induced climate change produce, they will not believe it.

And I just wondered, which side in this scenario is the "flat earthers?"  Which is refusing to believe the real science and believing in nonsense?

4 hours ago, LakeBum said:

Wow, really??  I do speak for myself.  

Secondly, I thought most of the world was in agreement (except Trump and a few right wingers) that there was global warming, so I don't get where you say a few?  That seems like a large majority of the people of the world.  If only a few hundred million Americans and a few hundred Europeans ACTED, it would make a significant impact, I would imagine.

No, most governments and scientific organizations are in agreement. 

That hardly represents a "majority of people in the world".  :rolleyes:    I expect a (large) majority of people in the world don't have a ******* clue about the problem.  You really shouldn't post such idiocy without considering it. It makes you look ignorant. :no:

And when I said "speak for yourself", I meant speaking to your own efforts to reduce your own carbon footprint instead of proscribing what others should do.

On 12/4/2018 at 2:29 PM, homersapien said:

I am curious as to why you thought this was funny, EMT?  :dunno:

Just a laugh at Trump. Don't read too much into it. 

Archived