Men vs. Arkansas game thread

WarTiger

i am not unhappy with the win at all, so don't even start with the obvious...what i am not happy (more like aggravated, i guess) with is the mental part of our game...the physical lackings of this team can be softened by playing a "cleaner" type game....we lost some focus with the big lead and some will say that its understandable....okay, why?....lack of concentration at times,bad decisions, bad shot selection hinder this team....free throws?....what in the hell happened from last year?....everybody shot  them pretty consistently last year....don't misunderstand me, when this bunch is clicking, they are a thing of beauty to watch....defense is getting pretty damn good, and becoming a consistent part of our game....dunbar?....i rarely question bruce pearl because,like frank martin,rick barnes,kermit davis and ben howland, he is a proven basketball coach, but why was dunbar not starting all along?....doughty must be what is termed the"practice player" who is a star in practice but when the lights come on, he shrinks and hides in a corner....stephen hooks touted him bigly, and hooks knows his stuff, is on the inside and goes to practices....he is kinda' mystified about him because he said that doughty was amazing in practice....i am encouraged, mainly because of the defense and the reappearance of mac....if we can play smarter and clean the game up some, i am feeling better about this team and their chances at the end of the regular season....but DAMN, they can get on my nerves....like last night, there was 0 chance we lose that game, after 4 minutes in, the second half, up by 30, they jack up bad shots early in the shot clock, try to do too much with the ball instead of passing the ball,running clock and making arkie play defense for the whole clock....i guess we take the good with the bad with these guys, but for the first 5 minutes of the game last night, it was as close to pefect basketball as a team can play....oh, one more gripe...how can you be nearly 7 feet tall and miss not one,but two dunks....he was fouled, yeah, but not hard....he is hurt, yeah, but a 7 footer ought to dunk the ball with a wooden leg....it looks like wiley has lost confidence and is timid....he'll come around, but he does need to work on his hand/wrist/arm  strength in the off season, plus spend a lot of time jumping rope,and running the tires, ballet classes or something because his footwork is not real good.....

all in all, this was one of our better games this year.....we need 2 more wins, to be a lock, and every win above 2 will improve the seeding....i think we got a shot at rupp

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Mike Anderson on the hot seat? He was a good fit for the old SEC but everyone has upgraded their coach and I think Arky is starting to fall behind because of it. I hope they win the rest of their games because I want Mike Anderson to stay at Arky for a long time. As long as he is there we should own them. Bruce will make sure we play their style better than them.

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Is Mike Anderson on the hot seat

based on what i have read on the rant, and hogville, that seat is an inferno....the only thing reason that keeps his job is that arkie might be afraid of the worn out "political" reasons and give him another year

1 minute ago, doverstutts said:

based on what i have read on the rant, and hogville, that seat is an inferno....the only thing reason that keeps his job is that arkie might be afraid of the worn out "political" reasons and give him another year

What kind of political reasons? IDK much about what they have going on there but they are one of the SEC's better programs historically.

I also want Avery Johnson to keep his job at Bama. He is the Mike Shula of hoops.

go back and look at the parting of ways with nolan richardson...same will happen with anderson, and he has already hinted at it in the past....the fans don't care, they want him gone yesterday....he was such an asshat when AU was interested in hiring him years ago that not at all appropriate here...let him coach high school

4 hours ago, doverstutts said:

go back and look at the parting of ways with nolan richardson...same will happen with anderson, and he has already hinted at it in the past....the fans don't care, they want him gone yesterday....he was such an asshat when AU was interested in hiring him years ago thatnot at all appropriate here.....let him coach high school

Gotcha. If I'm not mistaken he wanted to be guaranteed the job at AU before being interviewed for it or something? I can't remember exactly but it was something weird wasn't it?

I personally want him to stay. He's not on the level of the crop of coaches in the SEC right now and that's good for us.

3 hours ago, doverstutts said:

we need 2 more wins, to be a lock, and every win above 2 will improve the seeding....i think we got a shot at rupp

Agree. Wins against uga and MSU SHOULD punch our ticket and if we with those and uat on the road - we are in for sure. Not sure about Rupp. We would have to hit 3s like we did today to be in that game. Live by the 3, die by the 3.

I also wanted to comment on a few players. Early in the year I thought Samir was a beast. He played smart, hit shots, and his defense was very good. Over the past several weeks he has really regressed on both sides of the ball. He does not even look like the same player that played against Washington. Bruce had no choice but to start Dunbar and it paid off. Wiley looks and acts like an old man out there on the court. If he is hurt he needs to sit for another 2 weeks until the SEC tourney. And Harper... he looks tired. 

Turnover and FT% are going to get us beat. Look at the LSU game. We could not miss in the fist half and we were only up 3 at halftime. 

One last thing...I pity the team that is playing us when/if it finally all comes together. If we are hitting shots, not turning it over, and hitting our FTs... watch out. 

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

Agree. Wins against uga and MSU SHOULD punch our ticket and if we with those and uat on the road - we are in for sure. Not sure about Rupp. We would have to hit 3s like we did today to be in that game. Live by the 3, die by the 3.

I also wanted to comment on a few players. Early in the year I thought Samir was a beast. He played smart, hit shots, and his defense was very good. Over the past several weeks he has really regressed on both sides of the ball. He does not even look like the same player that played against Washington. Bruce had no choice but to start Dunbar and it paid off. Wiley looks and acts like an old man out there on the court. If he is hurt he needs to sit for another 2 weeks until the SEC tourney. And Harper... he looks tired. 

Turnover and FT% are going to get us beat. Look at the LSU game. We could not miss in the fist half and we were only up 3 at halftime. 

One last thing...I pity the team that is playing us when/if it finally all comes together. If we are hitting shots, not turning it over, and hitting our FTs... watch out. 

Miss St is a must win for me. Outside of washington who have we beat that is seriously any good? I guess Florida since they have been on a roll after we destroyed them and they won at bama and at lsu. We do not really have any good wins on our schedule. We have been close against the good teams besides ole miss on the road but we just could not get the W. That Miss St game at home is our last best and realistic chance in the regular season for a tourney building resume W.

4 hours ago, doverstutts said:

i am not unhappy with the win at all, so don't even start with the obvious...what i am not happy (more like aggravated, i guess) with is the mental part of our game...the physical lackings of this team can be softened by playing a "cleaner" type game....we lost some focus with the big lead and some will say that its understandable....okay, why?....lack of concentration at times,bad decisions, bad shot selection hinder this team....free throws?....what in the hell happened from last year?....everybody shot  them pretty consistently last year....don't misunderstand me, when this bunch is clicking, they are a thing of beauty to watch....defense is getting pretty damn good, and becoming a consistent part of our game....dunbar?....i rarely question bruce pearl because,like frank martin,rick barnes,kermit davis and ben howland, he is a proven basketball coach, but why was dunbar not starting all along?....doughty must be what is termed the"practice player" who is a star in practice but when the lights come on, he shrinks and hides in a corner....stephen hooks touted him bigly, and hooks knows his stuff, is on the inside and goes to practices....he is kinda' mystified about him because he said that doughty was amazing in practice....i am encouraged, mainly because of the defense and the reappearance of mac....if we can play smarter and clean the game up some, i am feeling better about this team and their chances at the end of the regular season....but DAMN, they can get on my nerves....like last night, there was 0 chance we lose that game, after 4 minutes in, the second half, up by 30, they jack up bad shots early in the shot clock, try to do too much with the ball instead of passing the ball,running clock and making arkie play defense for the whole clock....i guess we take the good with the bad with these guys, but for the first 5 minutes of the game last night, it was as close to pefect basketball as a team can play....oh, one more gripe...how can you be nearly 7 feet tall and miss not one,but two dunks....he was fouled, yeah, but not hard....he is hurt, yeah, but a 7 footer ought to dunk the ball with a wooden leg....it looks like wiley has lost confidence and is timid....he'll come around, but he does need to work on his hand/wrist/arm  strength in the off season, plus spend a lot of time jumping rope,and running the tires, ballet classes or something because his footwork is not real good.....

all in all, this was one of our better games this year.....we need 2 more wins, to be a lock, and every win above 2 will improve the seeding....i think we got a shot at rupp

Ark really did not defend well. We were shooting the ball well, but we had a lot, a lot of open shots vs their D.

I was there...and the only problem i saw was for a home game, we turned the ball over way too much (19 or 20 times). And many of them were out of control dribble errors that were not forced by Arkansas. Our guards had 11 TOs, and Okeke had 5 alone. Just too much dribbling is what I saw. They have to correct that to win a game against a good D like KY or UT.

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Ark really did not defend well. We were shooting the ball well, but we had a lot, a lot of open shots vs their D.

I was there...and the only problem i saw was for a home game, we turned the ball over way too much (19 or 20 times). And many of them were out of control dribble errors that were not forced by Arkansas. Our guards had 11 TOs, and Okeke had 5 alone. Just too much dribbling is what I saw. They have to correct that to win a game against a good D like KY or UT.

Okeke only had 2 turnovers. Samir was the person with 5 turnovers

Archived