...monstrous task ahead for OL in 2020

bigbird

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I hope Bruce has an effect on the mindset whenever we're ready to make another big hire, in any sport. For once they really swung for the fences and damn, it has paid off and then some.

Again, not saying that we necessarily need a big name. But we need some pedigree and we need some juice. 

I will say though, looking at the current college football landscape I have no idea who would be the #1 choice if we had our pick of the realistic litter. Outside of Saban I think Dabo is the most attractive candidate. After that it's a lot of "good" choices or up and comers.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

It is hard to figure where AG would go in finding a coach.  I would think that a search committee would be off the table or should be.  I do have confidence in him finding the right fit.  A coach that is closer to his personality, high energy and having social skills would be nice.

I don't think a search committee is out of the question, I just think it will be an independent committee from a professional search group not tied to past Auburn players/coaches.  It will probably not be a public farce like the last one.  It's pretty much a formality in this day and age to go that route to vet coaches, make sure there is no baggage associated with them, put together info about buyouts, etc.

1 minute ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I don't think a search committee is out of the question, I just think it will be an independent committee from a professional search group not tied to past Auburn players/coaches.  It will probably not be a public farce like the last one.  It's pretty much a formality in this day and age to go that route to vet coaches, make sure there is no baggage associated with them, put together info about buyouts, etc.

I heard that Bobby Petrino guy is crystal clean 

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I will say though, looking at the current college football landscape I have no idea who would be the #1 choice if we had our pick of the realistic litter. Outside of Saban I think Dabo is the most attractive candidate. After that it's a lot of "good" choices or up and comers.

Same. But as I've said before, if anybody wants to throw me about a $75k consulting fee, I'll come up with a fantastic and reasonable list. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Same. But as I've said before, if anybody wants to throw me about a $75k consulting fee, I'll come up with a fantastic and reasonable list. 

That's like a teacher's salary x 2 + $5k lol

Still really like Washington's coach though he'd be hard to pull

Just now, McLoofus said:

My shortlist would include Cristobal, Brohm (if he shows more improvement this season), & Clark.  Missing out on Jimbo 3 times really chaps my ass. 

My shortlist would include Cristobal, Brohm (if he shows more improvement this season), & Clark.  Missing out on Jimbo 3 times really chaps my ass. 

I like Jimbo but I don't think he's the caliber we really want either. Love Bill Clark as someone who is on the rise.

Kind of wanted Scott Frost at one point.

It's also going to depend on who else is looking to hire a HC when we are looking. There are lots of moving parts. I just hope we find a guy who has shown to be a program leader and successful at it rather than a guy who's a hell of a playcaller on either side of the ball. There are a lot of guys who can put a ton of points up on the scoreboard, or who can be a fantastic DC. But how much of those qualities carry over to a HC gig seems to be negligible. 2 of the 3 best modern era coaches never called plays on either side of the ball in their life (Urban, Dabo). We need a guy who knows how to run things and shown he can do it.

Just now, Zeek said:

I like Jimbo but I don't think he's the caliber we really want either. Love Bill Clark as someone who is on the rise.

I don't get the Bill Clark love. He may end up being a fantastic coach, not saying he won't. But if he coached at New Mexico State or somewhere far from this region with the same success his name wouldn't have been brought up once on here IMO. Him being mentioned on here several times while Gus' job status was in jeopardy was puzzling to me. 

But to your first point, I can't agree with how you just said one of the like 3 coaches in the country with a national title ring on their finger is not good enough in favor of Bill Clark.

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I don't get the Bill Clark love. He may end up being a fantastic coach, not saying he won't. But if he coached at New Mexico State or somewhere far from this region with the same success his name wouldn't have been brought up once on here IMO. Him being mentioned on here several times while Gus' job status was in jeopardy was puzzling to me. 

But to your first point, I can't agree with how you just said one of the like 3 coaches in the country with a national title ring on their finger is not good enough in favor of Bill Clark.

Bringing a program back from death to 11-3 in 3 seasons is impressive as hell.  Also, at least according to rival HS coaches, he's one helluva recruiter.  He has strong ties in the HS coaching ranks according to many in that world. 

17 minutes ago, Zeek said:

He's 92-27 as a head coach with 3 conference championships and a national title.  IMO, he's about to turn aTm into a powerhouse.  The SEC West got much tougher with his addition and puts AU as the 4th best program in the division at best.

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Well it doesn't hurt from a recruiting standpoint to have him be a guy from our region and you're probably right but he's done extremely well with a lot less than what Auburn has. As far as Jimbo goes I think it's a matter of knowing what Jimbo is vs. not knowing what Jimbo can be. Obviously Jimbo would be a safer choice but at this point his one ring comes from our current coaches mismanagement of that game; a game that still haunts my mind. 2014/15/16 seasons for Jimbo showed he was a Mark Richt type. Gets a lot of wins with an easier schedule but doesn't really threaten to win it all without a Jameis type player.

Don't get me wrong, I think TAMU taking him was tremendous and there was definitely a time when I really wanted him as well. But at this point in time I'd rather gamble with potential than take a Mark Richt type coach.

He's 92-27 as a head coach with 3 conference championships and a national title.  IMO, he's about to turn aTm into a powerhouse.  The SEC West got much tougher with his addition and puts AU as the 4th best program in the division at best.

Agreed he'll do good things there but I think he's a lot like a Mark Richt type. I'm sure FSU's schedule didn't hurt his record either...

4 hours ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

We’re gonna need to tap some JUCO resources and make a sacrifice to the transfer portal gods to land some bodies for 2020. 

Band name.

Sorry, back to the topic at hand...

12 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

11 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Well it doesn't hurt from a recruiting standpoint to have him be a guy from our region and you're probably right but he's done extremely well with a lot less than what Auburn has. As far as Jimbo goes I think it's a matter of knowing what Jimbo is vs. not knowing what Jimbo can be. Obviously Jimbo would be a safer choice but at this point his one ring comes from our current coaches mismanagement of that game; a game that still haunts my mind. 2014/15/16 seasons for Jimbo showed he was a Mark Richt type. Gets a lot of wins with an easier schedule but doesn't really threaten to win it all without a Jameis type player.

Don't get me wrong, I think TAMU taking him was tremendous and there was definitely a time when I really wanted him as well. But at this point in time I'd rather gamble with potential than take a Mark Richt type coach.

All good points, I just think if TAMU can get a guy like Jimbo our sights should be set higher than poaching a mid-major coach as one of our top options. They're going for it and I want us to have that same mindset. 

14 minutes ago, Tiger said:

All good points, I just think if TAMU can get a guy like Jimbo our sights should be set higher than poaching a mid-major coach as one of our top options. They're going for it and I want us to have that same mindset. 

I don't have a problem with a mid-major guy if he has ties to our normal recruiting areas and has shown he can compete at the highest level of whatever conference he's coaching in.

What most people leave out of their arguments about the ACC or any other conference is you're generally playing against teams with similar talent as your own. Also, Clemson and FSU have both shown they can go toe to toe with the SEC when they have the right coach.

6 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I don't have a problem with a mid-major guy if he has ties to our normal recruiting areas and has shown he can compete at the highest level of whatever conference he's coaching in.

What most people leave out of their arguments about the ACC or any other conference is you're generally playing against teams with similar talent as your own. Also, Clemson and FSU have both shown they can go toe to toe with the SEC when they have the right coach.

Here's the thing about people saying "Well, XYZ conference isn't the SEC Wes!", nobody we hire will have HC experience in the SECW. But we can still get someone who has proven to win on a bigger stage than C-USA or the Sun Belt as our Head Coach. Auburn is not a place for people to learn on the job unless we are ok with a blip of success here and there sandwiched between mediocrity.

Some of this board is ok with that. I personally believe that we are capable of being Clemson. I mean shoot, we played for 2 national titles in 3 years winning 1. With the right coach this program can really take off to being a consistent national power -- 2 points to my fammo @GwillMac6 on this point. He's mentioned that we have had pockets of national level success all while hiring guys who can't coach well enough long enough to keep their jobs. Imagine if we found our Dabo....

I would take a uga-era Mark Richt over almost anybody. 

You know what's really crazy? Bob Stoops is treated like a god and Mark Richt is treated like a clown. Stoops won .798 of his games at Oklahoma and Richt won .739 of his at uga. Stoops won 1 national title early in his time at OU and Richt almost won 1 late in his time at uga. He definitely would've won in 2012 if he had played anybody but bama in the SECCG. And that's the difference between Stoops and Richt. Of the 6 times Richt won the East, the team from the West that beat him in the SECCG won or at least played for a national championship 4 of those times. UF also won 2 national championships with Tebow while Richt was there. Speaking of UF, his only loss in 2002 was to top-25 Florida in Jacksonville, by 1 touchdown. 7 top-10 finishes, 9 10-win seasons in 15 years. 

I'd give a kidney for that kind of consistency and dude was a couple bad breaks from 2 national titles. 

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Here's the thing about people saying "Well, XYZ conference isn't the SEC Wes!", nobody we hire will have HC experience in the SECW. But we can still get someone who has proven to win on a bigger stage than C-USA or the Sun Belt as our Head Coach. Auburn is not a place for people to learn on the job unless we are ok with a blip of success here and there sandwiched between mediocrity.

Some of this board is ok with that. I personally believe that we are capable of being Clemson. I mean shoot, we played for 2 national titles in 3 years winning 1. With the right coach this program can really take off to being a consistent national power -- 2 points to my fammo @GwillMac6 on this point. He's mentioned that we have had pockets of national level success all while hiring guys who can't coach well enough long enough to keep their jobs. Imagine if we found our Dabo....

Pat Dye came from Wyoming if I remember correctly.  Saban was at Michigan State before LSU.  Urban Myer came from Utah.  I think limiting the search would be a mistake.  One thing I am not interested in is hiring an OC or DC as they haven't shown they can effectively run a program.

2 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Pat Dye came from Wyoming if I remember correctly.  Saban was at Michigan State before LSU.  Urban Myer came from Utah.  I think limiting the search would be a mistake.  One thing I am not interested in is hiring an OC or DC as they haven't shown they can effectively run a program.

Pedigree, pedigree, pedigree. Okay, well not in Urban's case. And maybe not in Dabo's, either, lol. But most of the other good ones learned under a great coach, then learned how to run a program, and then were ready for the big time. That's what Dye and Tuberville were and it's no accident that they were the guys who built something and won consistently with what they built. 

5 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I wouldn't rule them out but I wouldn't reach out to a mid-major guy until our P5 targets have been exhausted. The mid-majors carry a bigger unknown. 10000000000% with you on not hiring dynamic OC/DC. That's not what being a HC is about.

Also Agree on hiring coaches from Wyoming and and Utah were big wins. But I don't think Mich State is in the same category. Less risk there IMO.

37 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Stoops

Heupel

Aranda

I'd take Mark Stoops, I think he's going to be very successful wherever he ends up after UK.  I'm going to need to see Heupel show he can follow-up this season with a few more to know if he's got the ability to be a program manager or not.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

I'd take Frost right now if given the opportunity.  But he's not leaving Nebraska anytime soon seeing as it's his alma mater and everything.

1 hour ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Brohm is a good coach. He is CONSISTENTLY going 6 or 7 wins with Purdue. Yes, I know we beat them but take a look at the overall ratings of his players for the last four years. Also in making this post swing back to OLINE Men, Jimbo Fisher left FSU portion of that in shambles. I honestly consider Jimbo to be highly overrated. You guys can kill me over it LOL.

Archived