...monstrous task ahead for OL in 2020

bigbird

31 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Exactly.  Here's a quick list of current bigger name coaches who were coordinators before taking their current gig as their 1st shot as a HC:

Kirby Smart

Dabo Swinney

Mike Gundy

Gary Patterson

Pat Fitzgerald

David Shaw

Kyle Whittingham

Mark Stoops

And the jury is out on a few others with some major potential:

Jeremy Pruitt

Ryan Day

Lincoln Riley

Point is, those who only want "a proven head coach" in any search severely limit the talent pool and may just miss on the best candidate.

Most of those guys are at mid-tier programs though. Even Clemsoning was still a thing the last time we went to a national title game.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

saban also had his team take improv classes to improve their communication on the field. He is so so so much more than just a guy who gets five star players.

And you just perfectly described my biggest criticism of Gus.

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

With that being said and I can be 100 % wrong because I am not there behind the scenes, but I don't know how often Gus seeks out wisdom for others either. That is one thing I like about NS. He seeks out wisdom from other successful people. I was amazed when he invited Kobe Bryant to talk to his team and he was there with pen and pad. Again, Gus could easily be doing this as well behind the scenes.

Not in Gus' Trust Tree.

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

With that being said and I can be 100 % wrong because I am not there behind the scenes, but I don't know how often Gus seeks out wisdom for others either. That is one thing I like about NS. He seeks out wisdom from other successful people. I was amazed when he invited Kobe Bryant to talk to his team and he was there with pen and pad. Again, Gus could easily be doing this as well behind the scenes.

Remember not letting Marshall work with the QB guru guy? Remember all the people that defended that? How freaking HILARIOUS is that now?

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Stoops

Heupel

Aranda

Yes on Stoops and Aranda still want to see what Heupel does w/o Milton and Frost recruits

I think the thing Kirby has going for him the most is he knows how to recruit and if he gets out coached he'll get outcoached but he doesn't seem to be one of those beat yourself guys....

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'd take Frost right now if given the opportunity.  But he's not leaving Nebraska anytime soon seeing as it's his alma mater and everything.

yep mama called and frost answered so i doubt he goes anywhere. and i was shocked that a school such as neb did not have a  relevant strength and conditioning program. so while i think frost will succeed he does have his work cut out for him. my pick would be Heupel. the fact he went undefeated after frost left boggles my mind.

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

I heard that Bobby Petrino guy is crystal clean 

CLean as a toilet after a bout of diarrhea! 

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Not in Gus' Trust Tree.

This was a small issue with Gus in the sense that his rise to power in college football was very quick. He STARTED his college career as an OC at Arkansas in 2006 and became a HC just 6 years later at Ark State. He became HC of Auburn after just 7 years at the College level. His HCs he worked for were Houston Nutt, Gene Chizik, and Todd Graham. Not the greatest host of coaches. 

Gus did make trips out to Baylor to speak with Art Briles while he was still there. That is the only time any real visit had been talked about. I am sure he had conversations with Chad Morris but that is likely it. I am sure if he survives coaching (even if it isnt at Auburn) for another 5-10 years, he will likely end up reaching out to others. 

39 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

This was a small issue with Gus in the sense that his rise to power in college football was very quick. He STARTED his college career as an OC at Arkansas in 2006 and became a HC just 6 years later at Ark State. He became HC of Auburn after just 7 years at the College level. His HCs he worked for were Houston Nutt, Gene Chizik, and Todd Graham. Not the greatest host of coaches. 

Gus did make trips out to Baylor to speak with Art Briles while he was still there. That is the only time any real visit had been talked about. I am sure he had conversations with Chad Morris but that is likely it. I am sure if he survives coaching (even if it isnt at Auburn) for another 5-10 years, he will likely end up reaching out to others. 

Well chad morris actually reached out to him since he considers Gus a mentor.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Morris took Gus' offense to the next level and Gus was/is too stubborn or too stupid to incorporate those changes.

Just now, dyehardfanAU said:

Morris took Gus' offense to the next level and Gus was/is too stubborn or too stupid to incorporate those changes.

He hasn't been very successful as an HC, BUT he also was coaching at SMU and currently Arkansas. He definitely has better passing schemes, but I don't know how effective that will be in the SEC.

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

That was when Gus was at Shiloh. I am specifically talking about 2015-Present. 

Just now, BigWhiskey91 said:

That was when Gus was at Shiloh. I am specifically talking about 2015-Present. 

But whatever conversations they had Gus his mentor.  Gus allowed Chad to observe him at Arkansas as well while Chad was still a Highschool HC at Texas. Gus has won an SEC championship and been to a national championship. I seriously doubt the conversations they have would come from Gus seeking or trading ideas from him, especially when Chad had a turbulent time at SMU.

I am curious to see how 2019 plays out before throwing Gus off of the ship. If he can pull out a 10-2 season, we will have him for 2020. 2020 will be a year to where the seat will get very hot very quick if the wheels come off.

Do I think he can pull out a 10-2 season in 2019? Possibly yes. Anything less than 9 wins in 2019 will likely be Gus' last season on the plains.  There are some very good coaches out there to be had. If I had to pick a coach off of the top of my feeble mind, Bill Clark could be what the doctor ordered. I think the coach a Purdue took his name off of the list after the fanny kicking in the bowl game.

Keep an eye on Dillingham. He could be the next Lincoln Riley. I say could be and he will need more seasoning to be ready to be a HC. If he manages to get our offense in hyper-drive this fall, (yes I know Gus will be calling the plays),  big things  could be on the horizon for him down the road. If UAB tears it up this season and Gus goes way south, this could be the next chapter in HC at Auburn. I see Bill Clark as a Pat Dye type of coach

1 minute ago, DAG said:

But whatever conversations they had Gus his mentor.  Gus allowed Chad to observe him at Arkansas as well while Chad was still a Highschool HC at Texas. Gus has won an SEC championship and been to a national championship. I seriously doubt the conversations they have would come from Gus seeking or trading ideas from him, especially when Chad had a turbulent time at SMU.

Which is why I mentioned that he likely had conversations with Morris and that was it. I wasnt saying that Gus called him up for a class. I was just mentioning the ONLY possibilities of Malzahn talking with ANYONE. I do not think it is a reach to say no matter the level of success either has/hasnt had at that point, that there were gains from both sides from any conversation. 

2 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I am curious to see how 2019 plays out before throwing Gus off of the ship. If he can pull out a 10-2 season, we will have him for 2020. 2020 will be a year to where the seat will get very hot very quick if the wheels come off.

Do I think he can pull out a 10-2 season in 2019? Possibly yes. Anything less than 9 wins in 2019 will likely be Gus' last season on the plains.  There are some very good coaches out there to be had. If I had to pick a coach off of the top of my feeble mind, Bill Clark could be what the doctor ordered. I think the coach a Purdue took his name off of the last after the fanny kicking in the bowl game.

Keep an eye on Dillingham. He could be the next Lincoln Riley. I say could be and he will need more seasoning to be ready to be a HC. If he manages to get our offense in hyper-drive this fall big things  could be on the horizon for him down the road. If UAB tears it up this season and Gus goes way south, this could be the next chapter in HC at Auburn. I see Bill Clark as a Pat Dye type of coach

I agree Bill Clark is my top choice. I am interested as to why you think Dillingham could be the next Lincoln Riley? From what I understand Dillingham has never truly even called plays.

Just now, BigWhiskey91 said:

Which is why I mentioned that he likely had conversations with Morris and that was it. I wasnt saying that Gus called him up for a class. I was just mentioning the ONLY possibilities of Malzahn talking with ANYONE. I do not think it is a reach to say no matter the level of success either has/hasnt had at that point, that there were gains from both sides from any conversation. 

I disagree. From a leadership standpoint, there is absolutely nothing Chad Morris can tell Gus. He has to learn how to be successful first. I am sure Gus has conversations with many coaches, but I am speaking from a point of LEARNING from someone. Who is he gaining wisdom from? 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I agree Bill Clark is my top choice. I am interested as to why you think Dillingham could be the next Lincoln Riley? From what I understand Dillingham has never truly even called plays.

It is just a hunch and nothing more. His energy level is off of the charts and has the kind of demeanor that players can feed off of. Sometimes you get a feeling about someone and think that big things are in their future. I am basing this too on how our offense turns out this season.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I disagree. From a leadership standpoint, there is absolutely nothing Chad Morris can tell Gus. He has to learn how to be successful first. I am sure Gus has conversations with many coaches, but I am speaking from a point of LEARNING from someone. Who is he gaining wisdom from? 

It is fine that you disagree, but saying there is absolutely nothing Morris can tell Gus is extremely false. If the topic was getting to a National Title then yeah, Morris has no experience in that category in D1 football. However if they are talking about attacking defenses from vary perspectives, there is ground to gain on both sides. 

The general consensus is that Morris took elements of Malzahns system at Shiloh and evolved them. That is evident in film from his time at Clemson. Gus was only a OC 4yrs prior to Morris and a HC 3yrs prior to Morris. Its not like we are talking about Rhett Lashlee here. 

2 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

It is fine that you disagree, but saying there is absolutely nothing Morris can tell Gus is extremely false. If the topic was getting to a National Title then yeah, Morris has no experience in that category in D1 football. However if they are talking about attacking defenses from vary perspectives, there is ground to gain on both sides. 

The general consensus is that Morris took elements of Malzahns system at Shiloh and evolved them. That is evident in film from his time at Clemson. Gus was only a OC 4yrs prior to Morris and a HC 3yrs prior to Morris. Its not like we are talking about Rhett Lashlee here. 

But again I am not talking about attacking a defense. I am talking about RUNNING A PROGRAM. That is why he has an Offensive Coordinator and clearly, he wasn't really feeling that, so why all of a sudden would he listen to Chad Morris in that regard, who again is his pupil?

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

I don't get the Bill Clark love. He may end up being a fantastic coach, not saying he won't. But if he coached at New Mexico State or somewhere far from this region with the same success his name wouldn't have been brought up once on here IMO. Him being mentioned on here several times while Gus' job status was in jeopardy was puzzling to me. 

But to your first point, I can't agree with how you just said one of the like 3 coaches in the country with a national title ring on their finger is not good enough in favor of Bill Clark.

Ditto on the puzzling nature of all the Clark love. Again...he might develop into a great coach but I'm not a huge Clark fan. JMHO. 

WAR EAGLE!!!

Just now, DAG said:

But again I am not talking about attacking a defense. I am talking about RUNNING A PROGRAM. That is why he has an Offensive Coordinator and clearly, he wasn't really feeling that, so why all of a sudden would he listen to Chad Morris in that regard, who again is his pupil?

I am just defending the comment I made to another poster. 

If your angle is why would Malzahn reach out about running a program, then yes that type of conversation likely isnt going to yield great results from Morris (or Briles for that matter). I never was suggesting he did or should.

5 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Bringing a program back from death to 11-3 in 3 seasons is impressive as hell.  Also, at least according to rival HS coaches, he's one helluva recruiter.  He has strong ties in the HS coaching ranks according to many in that world. 

Yep, Bill Clark rebuilt UAB. At the very least you can't gloss over something like that. And he has won everywhere he has been. Very successful at Prattville, took Jacksonville State to there FIRST playoff victory and set many records with them and again I want to emphasize built up UAB. There might be other big names out there with proven resume's but don't take what this man has done lightly.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

You don't think Bob can still coach?

We will get a chance to see when XFL starts. Head coach at Dallas. I am curious to see how the time away rejuvenated him. 

Spurrier was very impressive in Alliance for 8 games. 

The Bill Clark love obviously comes from turning a UAB around from nothing to a 6-6 bowl eligible team in one year. Then the PTB killed the program. Players left and they didn't play a game for 2 years. He did get some relief from the NCAA I believe but still going 8-5 after a two year UA inflicted death penalty, then 11-3 last year, is pretty freaking awesome inost eyes. I know UAB isn't Auburn but the guy can flat out get guys to play for him. He basically sold a dream and his players bought in. I like him a lot. 

Archived