...monstrous task ahead for OL in 2020

bigbird

5 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Bringing a program back from death to 11-3 in 3 seasons is impressive as hell.  Also, at least according to rival HS coaches, he's one helluva recruiter.  He has strong ties in the HS coaching ranks according to many in that world. 

Didn't read back far enough to see your post before I posted pretty much the same thing. Clark is impressive. 

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Morris took Gus' offense to the next level and Gus was/is too stubborn or too stupid to incorporate those changes.

I can see we're fighting on the same side. Welcome my friend

6 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Exactly.  Here's a quick list of current bigger name coaches who were coordinators before taking their current gig as their 1st shot as a HC:

Kirby Smart

Dabo Swinney

Mike Gundy

Gary Patterson

Pat Fitzgerald

David Shaw

Kyle Whittingham

Mark Stoops

And the jury is out on a few others with some major potential:

Jeremy Pruitt

Ryan Day

Lincoln Riley

Point is, those who only want "a proven head coach" in any search severely limit the talent pool and may just miss on the best candidate.

Wait hold up. What is Lincoln Riley doing only on the major potential list hahaha?! I would take him over all the guys on your proven list besides Dabo and to be fair Dabo was not even a Coordinator before he was Head Coach. Just a WR coach. 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Wait hold up. What is Lincoln Riley doing only on the major potential list hahaha?! I would take him over all the guys on your proven list besides Dabo and to be fair Dabo was not even a Coordinator before he was Head Coach. Just a WR coach. 

Well Riley has only coached two years.  Let's see if he can continue the success of the program through his own recruiting/on-field efforts over time first.

If we went on one/two year results only, Gus would be a savant.

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

Remember not letting Marshall work with the QB guru guy? Remember all the people that defended that? How freaking HILARIOUS is that now?

people really thought this guy that coached no where except arkansas and auburn was teflon and unquestionable lol 

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Well Riley has only coached two years.  Let's see if he can continue the success of the program through his own recruiting/on-field efforts over time first.

If we went on one/two year results only, Gus would be a savant.

I believe in the guy who had back to back number 1 draft picks and Heisman Trophy Winners and made the playoffs 2 years in a row. I see them taking a little step back this season and going 10-2 in the regular season. What do you got them going next season?

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I believe in the guy who had back to back number 1 draft picks and Heisman Trophy Winners and made the playoffs 2 years in a row. I see them taking a little step back this season and going 10-2 in the regular season. What do you got them going next season?

They play in the Big 12.  10-2 should be their baseline.  Again, I think he's really good and would take him right now over Gus.  But I'm curious to see if he sustains it as his own recruiting classes come in over time.

42 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

They play in the Big 12.  10-2 should be their baseline.  Again, I think he's really good and would take him right now over Gus.  But I'm curious to see if he sustains it as his own recruiting classes come in over time.

Well he is off to a pretty good start. His first 2 classes were ranked 9th and 6th in the country. I def am curious how Hurts does in his system. He is totally different type of QB than Murray and Baker.

This is the kind of 101 stuff w/ Gus that baffles me.  It starts in the trenches, you’ve had this program for years, what’s your priority?

Look, we just get another transfer receiver.....

1 hour ago, musicitytiger said:

This is the kind of 101 stuff w/ Gus that baffles me.  It starts in the trenches, you’ve had this program for years, what’s your priority?

Look, we just get another transfer receiver.....

That's a good point. Wouldn't every coach if nothing else make sure the lines are pristine? With a high emphasis on at least one big run stuffer; as many pass rushers as you can find, and o tackles?? Like literally start from there and build your team from that but ALWAYS make sure you're good there

12 hours ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

This was a small issue with Gus in the sense that his rise to power in college football was very quick. He STARTED his college career as an OC at Arkansas in 2006 and became a HC just 6 years later at Ark State. He became HC of Auburn after just 7 years at the College level. His HCs he worked for were Houston Nutt, Gene Chizik, and Todd Graham. Not the greatest host of coaches. 

Gus did make trips out to Baylor to speak with Art Briles while he was still there. That is the only time any real visit had been talked about. I am sure he had conversations with Chad Morris but that is likely it. I am sure if he survives coaching (even if it isnt at Auburn) for another 5-10 years, he will likely end up reaching out to others. 

Gus will not reach out to people he does not know or is not comfortable talking to.

Want to clear up one thing in this thread. The AU job is a coveted job. A great job. AU will not have a problem getting a top shelf HC the next time around IF the search is done right and legit. Not like it has been done the past 15 or so years. I'll say the search will be done right this time around. If it comes to that in the near future.

23 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Want to clear up one thing in this thread. The AU job is a coveted job. A great job. AU will not have a problem getting a top shelf HC the next time around IF the search is done right and legit. Not like it has been done the past 15 or so years. I'll say the search will be done right this time around. If it comes to that in the near future.

We struck gold with Green

55 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Want to clear up one thing in this thread. The AU job is a coveted job. A great job. AU will not have a problem getting a top shelf HC the next time around IF the search is done right and legit. 

Bo Jackson, Bruce Pearl, Takeo Spikes, Tim Cook, Stephen Hooks, and the AD should spearhead the search team. 

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Bo Jackson, Bruce Pearl, Takeo Spikes, Tim Cook, Stephen Hooks, and the AD should spearhead the search team. 

I'm gonna have to assume this is sarcasm.

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Well he is off to a pretty good start. His first 2 classes were ranked 9th and 6th in the country. I def am curious how Hurts does in his system. He is totally different type of QB than Murray and Baker.

Gotta be careful on these coaches that take over for legends.  Lincoln is taking over a very solid program...give it time to see how his decisions affect OU over multiple recruiting classes.  Check out Larry Coker's first three years as Miami head coach after taking over for Butch.  He started out 35-3 but eventually flamed out by year 6.

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Gotta be careful on these coaches that take over for legends.  Lincoln is taking over a very solid program...give it time to see how his decisions affect OU over multiple recruiting classes.  Check out Larry Coker's first three years as Miami head coach after taking over for Butch.  He started out 35-3 but eventually flamed out by year 6.

From 2012-2016, they finished 12th, 16th, 14th, 15th and 19th in recruiting. Now, he might miss on a guy here or there and he might not be "recruiting a locker room" and he might not have the program management skills that Stoops did, but by just about every quantifiable metric- including recruiting- he has improved that program. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Well Yes I am definitely going to trust our AD to pull in a great candidate. 

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well Yes I am definitely going to trust our AD to pull in a great candidate. 

One of the best thing going for ADG is the network of ADs that he reaches out to. He will hire a good one when necessary.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Gus will not reach out to people he does not know or is not comfortable talking to.

100% agree. 

43 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I'm gonna have to assume this is sarcasm.

Sure why not. Let that search team do it’s thing and profit.. 

Archived