...monstrous task ahead for OL in 2020

bigbird

20 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Pat Dye came from Wyoming if I remember correctly.  Saban was at Michigan State before LSU.  Urban Myer came from Utah.  I think limiting the search would be a mistake.  One thing I am not interested in is hiring an OC or DC as they haven't shown they can effectively run a program.

Yeah, I'd hate to have Kirby Smart right now *rolls eyes*

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

There is a guy out there who could be the next Kirby Smart....RIP to your thread @bigbird

And that is why I don't agree with not hiring a coordinator. I think the pedigree should be considered more than anything.

54 minutes ago, Tiger said:

All good points, I just think if TAMU can get a guy like Jimbo our sights should be set higher than poaching a mid-major coach as one of our top options. They're going for it and I want us to have that same mindset. 

Well TAMU made Jimbo the highest paid coach to get him. If you are willing to spin that money, you can get almost anybody. My thing is this, if you are going to do that then you need to go after UM first and foremost. Somebody who has actually earned it.

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Personally I think Kirby is an outlier.  Feel free to prove me wrong and list all of the current successful P5 coaches who had never been a HC before.

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

If there is a guy out there with the willingness and protections in place to operate in the way that Kirby does, cool. 

He has won a lot of games by having more talent than anybody except for bama. It will be interesting to see if he can sustain what he is doing.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If there is a guy out there with the willingness and protections in place to operate in the way that Kirby does, cool. 

He has won a lot of games by having more talent than anybody except for bama. It will be interesting to see if he can sustain what he is doing.

Yes, but that is part of being a good to great coach. I don't know any top tier program that is winning on the big stage or at least getting there without having a lot of talent. Maybe Chip Kelly's Oregon Duck team? So that should be a quality to consider IF we have to find another coach.

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

There is a guy out there who could be the next Kirby Smart....RIP to your thread @bigbird

And that is why I don't agree with not hiring a coordinator. I think the pedigree should be considered more than anything.

Exactly.  Here's a quick list of current bigger name coaches who were coordinators before taking their current gig as their 1st shot as a HC:

Kirby Smart

Dabo Swinney

Mike Gundy

Gary Patterson

Pat Fitzgerald

David Shaw

Kyle Whittingham

Mark Stoops

And the jury is out on a few others with some major potential:

Jeremy Pruitt

Ryan Day

Lincoln Riley

Point is, those who only want "a proven head coach" in any search severely limit the talent pool and may just miss on the best candidate.

7 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Personally I think Kirby is an outlier.  Feel free to prove me wrong and list all of the current successful P5 coaches who had never been a HC before.

See above

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Exactly.  Here's a quick list of current bigger name coaches who were coordinators before taking their current gig as their 1st shot as a HC:

Kirby Smart

Dabo Swinney

Mike Gundy

Gary Patterson

Pat Fitzgerald

David Shaw

Kyle Whittingham

Mark Stoops

And the jury is out on a few others with some major potential:

Jeremy Pruitt

Ryan Day

Lincoln Riley

Point is, those who only want "a proven head coach" in any search severely limit the talent pool and may just miss on the best candidate.

I am glad you did this because I was about to take on the task haha

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

See above

Fair enough.  Who would you bring in that is currently a coordinator?

Just now, dyehardfanAU said:

I know you are asking him but I will say this name. Venables. I know he has skeletons in his closet (Supposedly). Why hasn't he gotten a HC gig... I don't know. What I do know is he is a big reason for Clemson's success as well and Dabo knows it. I am also Bias because I am big on defensive minded coaches TBH.

Brent Venables would be #1 on the list.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I know you are asking him but I will say this name. Venables. I know he has skeletons in his closet (Supposedly). Why hasn't he gotten a HC gig... I don't know. What I do know is he is a big reason for Clemson's success as well and Dabo knows it. I am also Bias because I am big on defensive minded coaches TBH.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Brent Venables would be #1 on the list.

He has worked for some excellent head coaches and seen how great programs are built, I'll certainly give you guys that.

2 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

He has worked for some excellent head coaches and seen how great programs are built, I'll certainly give you guys that.

And to be fair to Gus, He hasn't had that opportunity. He has worked under Gene Chizik and Houston Dale Nutt..

34 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I'd take Mark Stoops, I think he's going to be very successful wherever he ends up after UK.  I'm going to need to see Heupel show he can follow-up this season with a few more to know if he's got the ability to be a program manager or not.

I meant Bob

27 minutes ago, DAG said:

It's okay, we have depth.

13 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Aranda

Streeter

Scott

Beamer

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If there is a guy out there with the willingness and protections in place to operate in the way that Kirby does, cool

I firmly believe Auburn will never get the protections to operate the way Smart/Saban/Orgeron/Swinney/Fisher, etc. are getting right now.  Those guys have the coffers wide ass open on the recruiting trail.

20 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes, but that is part of being a good to great coach. I don't know any top tier program that is winning on the big stage or at least getting there without having a lot of talent. Maybe Chip Kelly's Oregon Duck team? So that should be a quality to consider IF we have to find another coach.

Oh trust me, I have to go to the mat all the time in the recruiting forum trying to set the "three stars have more heart" crowd straight.

Talent is the biggest thing but it is not the only thing and I am still curious about smart's ability to continue to manage that locker room and program.

With that being said and I can be 100 % wrong because I am not there behind the scenes, but I don't know how often Gus seeks out wisdom for others either. That is one thing I like about NS. He seeks out wisdom from other successful people. I was amazed when he invited Kobe Bryant to talk to his team and he was there with pen and pad. Again, Gus could easily be doing this as well behind the scenes.

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I meant Bob

Oh, I though you meant the one who was still relevant.  😀

Seriuosly though, he's 1000x better than what we have now.

Oh, I though you meant the one who was still relevant.  😀

You don't think Bob can still coach?

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

With that being said and I can be 100 % wrong because I am not there behind the scenes, but I don't know how often Gus seeks out wisdom for others either. That is one thing I like about NS. He seeks out wisdom from other successful people. I was amazed when he invited Kobe Bryant to talk to his team and he was there with pen and pad. Again, Gus could easily be doing this as well behind the scenes.

All I have to do is look at the guest coaches Auburn/Gus invites to speak at our summer camps and compare it to the guests speakers of our two biggest rivals, that tells me all I need to know about the well Gus draws his wisdom from. 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

With that being said and I can be 100 % wrong because I am not there behind the scenes, but I don't know how often Gus seeks out wisdom for others either. 

I'm not how often anymore, but he used to speak with Spurrier pretty often

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

You don't think Bob can still coach?

Yes, I do.  I'm just not sure if he still has the fire in his belly for recruiting.  I'd be ok with seeing if that's true or not.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

saban also had his team take improv classes to improve their communication on the field. He is so so so much more than just a guy who gets five star players.

And you just perfectly described my biggest criticism of Gus.

Archived