3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

This is for @fredst

2013-11-1614_07_40.gif

electric-explosion-gif-2.gif

SnoopyWeeklyFairyfly-max-1mb.gif

giphy.gif

nick-marshall-touchdown-run-against-alab

nick-saban-after-field-goal-return-by-au

Thanks! I enjoy watching Nick’s highlights particularly with the exciting graphics you attached. I think Nick is an amazing athlete and one of the best QBs in AU history. I also think discounting how good somebody was because they played in a different era is foolish. I didn’t personally get to watch him but I guarantee that Tucker Fredrickson would have been a stud FB/LB in any era even though his stats were “pedestrian” by today’s measures. And probably Ted Williams, Ben Hogan, Oscar Robertson, and Rod Laver would have been some of the best in their respective sports regardless of the era in which they played. Now, if I could just attach a lightning bolt graphic to this post🤔.....

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, fredst said:

I also think discounting how good somebody was because they played in a different era is foolish

There are other variables but you will often find the stars from the past are naturally forgotten in the pecking order because of the era. Such as Wilt Chamberlain averaging over 50 points a game one year. I have no doubt those athletes were amazing ( I was amazed when I read Terry Beasley could jump over a car headed toward him.) Yet with the evolution of the athletes bodies becoming bigger faster and stronger across the board, you really appreciate the visual evidence of those that can still be dominant even today. 

10 hours ago, DAG said:

I think Nick Marshall game is a little under appreciated. Was Jason Campbell a better QB? Yes. But from an impact standpoint, NM, IMO, was better. Jason Campbell, who is a great QB, had a lot of talent around him. NM made the offense at Auburn go. He was the nucleus of the offense. I don’t think that can be denied. Pat was before my time so it is unfair for me to judge him during this debate. 

But I would be wary with including NFL production as a way of determining this. I mean is Rex Grossman a better college QB than Tim Tebow? Most would argue no. 

The Nick Marshall offense(s) in 2013 and 2014 required a *lot* of very specific pieces to be in place in order to operate like it did. It was right place right time. Gus even surprised himself by waiting until halftime of the LSU game in 2013 to unveil it. We had a fleet of WRs who were questionable pass catchers but selfless run blockers. We had Corey Grant. In 2013 we had Prosch and GRob, and in 2014 we had Duke and Coleman, so we passed a little more in 2014. We had Dismukes both years. There was almost no dropoff from Tre to CAP. 

Does that offense work with a different QB? Not as well as it did, no. Does that QB work with a different offense? Not as well as he did, no. 

Not sure if any of that matters, but like so many things, Nick Marshall as amazing P5 quarterback was the exact kind of lightning strike that could only have happened at the weirdest damn football program in the land IMO. 

We almost won a national championship with a cornerback taking snaps. Hell yeah. WDE

55 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

There are other variables but you will often find the stars from the past are naturally forgotten in the pecking order because of the era. Such as Wilt Chamberlain averaging over 50 points a game one year. I have no doubt those athletes were amazing ( I was amazed when I read Terry Beasley could jump over a car headed toward him.) Yet with the evolution of the athletes bodies becoming bigger faster and stronger across the board, you really appreciate the visual evidence of those that can still be dominant even today. 

Agree. It’s natural to assume what we are witnessing in the here-and-now is the best ever but the “best” would probably be the “best” regardless of which era we dropped them in;we shouldn’t discount their greatness just because they played when the games were played with different equipment/styles/philosophies.

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

Agree. It’s natural to assume what we are witnessing in the here-and-now is the best ever but the “best” would probably be the “best” regardless of which era we dropped them in;we shouldn’t discount their greatness just because they played when the games were played with different equipment/styles/philosophies.

Yup.

Jim Thorpe and Jesse Owens, for my money, are the greatest athletes of all time (that I know about). I'm guessing neither would accomplish much today. 

Wilt Chamberlain wouldn't be anywhere near the dominant force today that he was in his time. Not even close.

Bo Jackson will eventually be some guy who was really great... for the 80s.

According to legend, the first marathon literally killed the person who ran it. Now people run multiple ultramarathons a year. 

It's about what a person can do relative to their contemporaries IMO. 

10 minutes ago, fredst said:

You think it’s likely that Pat Sullivan would be the best today? Obviously transcendent athletes like Bo Jackson would be great no matter the era, but the difference in eras are apples to oranges and not all previous greats are able to transition without able to lose some rank.

21 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

You think it’s likely that Pat Sullivan would be the best today? Obviously transcendent athletes like Bo Jackson would be great no matter the era, but the difference in eras are apples to oranges and not all previous greats are able to transition without able to lose some rank.

I think that it’s impossible to say. The super-greats like Bo....I think it’s easy to say he would be great regardless of the era. Sully won a Heisman playing at the highest level of football; I would be hesitant to discount his ability just because he played in a different era and didn’t have the eye-popping athleticism of Bo, etc. That, to me, is the hazard of comparing across decades/eras but it always makes for interesting discussion 

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

According to legend, the first marathon literally killed the person who ran it. Now people run multiple ultramarathons a year. 

S***. I’ve run some ultras and thought I was an elite athlete. Thanks a lot for bursting my bubble 😞

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

S***. I’ve run some ultras and thought I was an elite athlete. Thanks a lot for bursting my bubble 😞

Sit down, couch potato. They'll be running super ultra *double secret marathons in 20 years.

*Double secret because the hard part will be not **telling everyone they run them.

**I ran a half marathon and ***tell everyone about it.

***I do NOT have a 13.1 sticker on my car. It was only half of that thing that other people do!

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Can't believe anyone thinks Nick is better then Randy Walls aka speedy

Just occurred to me that Randy Walls would be a great name for somebody acting in a particular film genre.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Just occurred to me that Randy Walls would be a great name for somebody acting in a particular film genre.

Name of first pet + first street you lived on. 

Call me Max Dobbs. 

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

The Nick Marshall offense(s) in 2013 and 2014 required a *lot* of very specific pieces to be in place in order to operate like it did. It was right place right time. Gus even surprised himself by waiting until halftime of the LSU game in 2013 to unveil it. We had a fleet of WRs who were questionable pass catchers but selfless run blockers. We had Corey Grant. In 2013 we had Prosch and GRob, and in 2014 we had Duke and Coleman, so we passed a little more in 2014. We had Dismukes both years. There was almost no dropoff from Tre to CAP. 

Does that offense work with a different QB? Not as well as it did, no. Does that QB work with a different offense? Not as well as he did, no. 

Not sure if any of that matters, but like so many things, Nick Marshall as amazing P5 quarterback was the exact kind of lightning strike that could only have happened at the weirdest damn football program in the land IMO. 

We almost won a national championship with a cornerback taking snaps. Hell yeah. WDE

Yeah this is kind of makes me angry when people get on Nick for not being able to transition to an NFL QBs. NM made a lot of other players money. I love Tre but he isn’t rushing for that many yards with Chris Todd or Jarrett Stidham in the pocket 

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Name of first pet + first street you lived on. 

Call me Max Dobbs. 

Bugsy Blount

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

This is you telling me this.

giphy.gif

16 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

I’d take a healthy Cadillac Williams over Bo Jackson. Bo was basically a slightly bigger Corey Grant

tenor.gif

Are you trolling or just that ignorant?

26 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

I’d take a healthy Cadillac Williams over Bo Jackson. Bo was basically a slightly bigger Corey Grant

I respect your commitment to your craft. You really went for it with this one.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I respect your commitment to your craft. You really went for it with this one.

It just proves other's thoughts on his talent evaluation ability.

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It just proves other's thoughts on his talent evaluation ability.

Are you stealing @cole256's material again? (Did I do that right?)

I really did see some effort put into this one. First he went with a hot take, but then he followed it up with an insane twist. It was like watching an M. Night Shyamalan movie.

22 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yup.

Jim Thorpe and Jesse Owens, for my money, are the greatest athletes of all time (that I know about). I'm guessing neither would accomplish much today. 

Wilt Chamberlain wouldn't be anywhere near the dominant force today that he was in his time. Not even close.

It's about what a person can do relative to their contemporaries IMO. 

You probably were not around when the first sub 4 minute mile was run.  For decades it was thought to be impossible and runners and coaches plotted all kinds of strategies on how to do it until Roger Bannister finally did it...in 1954.   To some extent it was a mental barrier too and once Bannister did it, others followed pretty quickly.   Now HS kids do it routinely though the "mile" is not a standard race any longer.

But as you note, some athletes are exceptional for the times the lived....but times change as does physical training....and meds...

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

But as you note, some athletes are exceptional for the times the lived....but times change as does physical training....and meds...

Give past greats the same coaching, strength programs, summer camps, private instructors, et. al. From pop Warner on and I bet be they would compete just as well as the "modern" athletes.

Great video of one of my favorite AU players.   Main thing I noticed is that the OL was not all that great....he was under pressure much of the time and yet he stood in there under the pressure and fired the ball down field. Showed as much guts at QB as anyone I can recall at AU. ….and of course his running threat was demonstrated a number of times when he was able to escape the rush and make a run...or get off a last second pass. 

Thanks Stat....

Archived