Improvements For baseball

On 6/28/2019 at 9:17 AM, boomstick said:

Someone posted on one of the many Auburn message boards I frequent that our recent financial records show we have $884 million in bond debt. Not quite a billion like Bama but close. Not sure we can afford to go much more in debt. (For clarity, I have no idea if that's true because I haven't seen any documentation, just taking an anonymous poster's word for it).

Honestly, I appreciate Greene's approach here. At some point, we have to quit spending so frivolously like it's an endless supply and  start managing the cash flow better. That probably should've been done when the SEC Network started, and we'd better in better position to make some of these improvements without having to rely so much on our donors to fund it. Clearly, we couldn't pay for all of the renovations we need with tv revenue, but had we been more judicious with those funds, we wouldn't be sitting in a holding pattern on the baseball facility because of approximately $2 million. We should have that money without having to completely fund it from donors, which is the way I understand how we're having to fund this project.

Yes, the Moody rating and in their Fiscal Rpt, Auburn reported about 850+ mil in bond debt so their reporting is accurate. 

What I would like to know is if Auburn and the Athletic Dept has a committee, group, whatever, that reviews, plans and works to provides funding sources for all sports related facility needs, as an ongoing way of at least planning for Auburn to be competitive in the areas of our athletics.

It shouldn't be because a coach just happens to ask for more in their program or the AD is not operating in only a reactive mode when it should be proactive to ensure we don't have these issues brought up in a negative light like we have been doing now for the last 5-10 years it seems. 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What exactly constitutes a player development facility?

1 hour ago, creed said:

What exactly constitutes a player development facility?

My understanding of this facility we’re building is it will be decked out with the latest technological equipment for pitchers and hitters. Basically, it’s an analytical guy’s dream. It will be a place to gather data and be able to make adjustments and corrections in real time. 

9 hours ago, boomstick said:

My understanding of this facility we’re building is it will be decked out with the latest technological equipment for pitchers and hitters. Basically, it’s an analytical guy’s dream. It will be a place to gather data and be able to make adjustments and corrections in real time. 

Thanks.

That doesn't sound like a super huge amount of money to develop a pds. Butch must be wanting a lot more or the article is just trying to generate clicks. I would like to here from CBT what he needs, outside of players, to win championships.

On 6/28/2019 at 10:09 AM, Tigerbelle said:

Or we could go the bammer route.....spend money like it's in unlimited supply, and end up almost a billion dollars in debt. Not sure that's any better. This article addresses some of bammer's debt and also other schools with big problems. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-01-04/college-football-s-top-teams-are-built-on-crippling-debt

I agree with you completely, @Tigerbelle. Unfortunately we live in a time when big businesses aren’t really held accountable for debt. Our fine politicians pioneered the idea. 

I think that’s what a lot of these universities are banking on. (Pun intended) 

48 minutes ago, creed said:

Thanks.

That doesn't sound like a super huge amount of money to develop a pds. Butch must be wanting a lot more or the article is just trying to generate clicks. I would like to here from CBT what he needs, outside of players, to win championships.

I think the equipment is rather expensive. Plus I think the facility will have a new player area along with coaches offices and some other stuff. It’s not strictly hitting cages and a pitching area, but like every other project on campus, it sounds like the cost is significantly higher because it’s on campus than it would be some other place. 

There is no doubt that Butch Thompson will not wait around for our board, president and athletic department to get their collective sh!t together.  This is pathetic that the baseball program is relegated to begging for dollars to make minimal expenditures.  We are headed back to the days of Tom Slater, Ron Pawlowski and Sonny Golloway....

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin&downloadWhen

Basketball has proven it strives for excellence.  Baseball has proven it strives for excellence.  Equestrian has proven it strives for excellence.  The PTB need to prove they strive for excellence.  If they don’t, we need new PTB!

We have some donors who could literally write a check for the facility upgrades in baseball.  It is parochial thinking to disregard the so-called non-revenue producing sports. 

I am a fan of AG, but if he can’t or won’t get the facility upgrades done in baseball, we need a different AD. Relatively speaking, the cost of taking care of this is small change. 

1 hour ago, Mike4AU said:

Basketball has proven it strives for excellence.  Baseball has proven it strives for excellence.  Equestrian has proven it strives for excellence.  The PTB need to prove they strive for excellence.  If they don’t, we need new PTB!

We have some donors who could literally write a check for the facility upgrades in baseball.  It is parochial thinking to disregard the so-called non-revenue producing sports. 

I am a fan of AG, but if he can’t or won’t get the facility upgrades done in baseball, we need a different AD. Relatively speaking, the cost of taking care of this is small change. 

Can't disagree...but keep in mind that we have 20 NCAA sanctioned programs and all want to their improve facilities.    

If I were any kind of cartoonist I would sketch up a picture of a large Holstein with the word "football" stenciled on her sides....surrounded by about two dozen little calves pushing and shoving one another to get a turn at one of the teats...... and the bewildered cow staring off into the distance.   I can't draw it...but I bet most of you get the picture anyway. 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Can't disagree...but keep in mind that we have 20 NCAA sanctioned programs and all want to their improve facilities.    

If I were any kind of cartoonist I would sketch up a picture of a large Holstein with the word "football" stenciled on her sides....surrounded by about two dozen little calves pushing and shoving one another to get a turn at one of the teats...... and the bewildered cow staring off into the distance.   I can't draw it...but I bet most of you get the picture anyway. 

Between your excellent description and a lot of us having gone to a cow college, the word is worth a thousand pictures in this instance. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Between your excellent description and a lot of us having gone to a cow college, the word is worth a thousand pictures in this instance. 

I'm a visual guy. Hopefully someone can draw that analogy for me? :)

19 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I'm a visual guy. Hopefully someone can draw that analogy for me? :)

I gave you the analogy….I want someone to draw a picture for us......thought some of the talented posters would have come up with a gif or picture by now...

36 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I gave you the analogy….I want someone to draw a picture for us......thought some of the talented posters would have come up with a gif or picture by now...

Best I could do. Works better with a pig since they have bigger litters.

image.png

46 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

image.png

And that a football is known as a “pigskin”.

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

image.png

Very important that golf is in there sucking:poke:

Image result for pictures of a cow college        Image result for picture of a turd college

On 7/1/2019 at 5:25 PM, PowerOfDixieland said:

There is no doubt that Butch Thompson will not wait around for our board, president and athletic department to get their collective sh!t together.  This is pathetic that the baseball program is relegated to begging for dollars to make minimal expenditures.  We are headed back to the days of Tom Slater, Ron Pawlowski and Sonny Golloway....

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin&downloadWhen

What's crazy @PowerOfDixieland is Jason Caldwell says even with the expected upgrades baseball is eventually supposed to get we would still be at the bottom of the SEC West in terms of baseball facilities. What are your thoughts on that?

22 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

Doesn't look like the AD is the problem for any of our sports so I'm not such getting a new AD makes a difference. I mean if an AD who is a baseball guy can't get baseball upgrades expediently then who can?

On 7/3/2019 at 8:49 AM, ellitor said:

What's crazy @PowerOfDixieland is Jason Caldwell says even with the expected upgrades baseball is eventually supposed to get we would still be at the bottom of the SEC West in terms of baseball facilities. What are your thoughts on that?

I think Caldwell may be piling on to an extent, but likely recognizes the greatness that lies within this head coach.  Even if we're still at the bottom of the SEC we're likely in the top 10 in the country.  I haven't seen Vandy's facilities lately, but I'm betting they're not on par with Florida, LSU, Miss State, aTm, Arkansas....good Lord those are college baseball shrines.  Founders Park in Columbia rivals any minor league facility...those guys have won big, and they've lost big....will likely be looking for a new HC in the next two or three years.  

We've experienced the misery that comes with being tied to a mediocre coach.  All that Allen Greene has to do is figure out a way to keep Butch Thompson in Auburn and everything eles will take care of itself.  Tim Corbin should be the blueprint.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:54 AM, PowerOfDixieland said:

I think Caldwell may be piling on to an extent, but likely recognizes the greatness that lies within this head coach.  Even if we're still at the bottom of the SEC we're likely in the top 10 in the country. 

Thanks.....gotta keep things in perspective.....and facility issue or not, I still think that fan support is not where it could or should be.   Too many vacant seats at most games.....whether games are "sold out" or not, when 1/3rd of the seats are empty, it's not good for the atmosphere of the game.  

Maybe like basketball where out of town fans buy tickets and just go to a weekend game....and nothing mid week.   With the cheap price of the tickets, it's pretty easy to understand that if you get a season ticket....go to a dozen home games...you are still paying maybe $20 bucks per game which is dirt cheap for the high quality baseball being played by SEC teams. 

Anyway....JMO but AG and CBT's job is to put fannies in seats every game....to build demand for a larger or better facility.

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Maybe like basketball where out of town fans buy tickets and just go to a weekend game....and nothing mid week

A friend of mine that lives in Troy buys season tickets and frequently sends me some mid-week tickets. It's a common thing. Sometimes I use them myself and sometimes I leave them at the family doctor's office where the receptionist gives them to the first party that wants them. That puts people in the seats but doesn't help any with sales, unless those that got the freebies like the experience and buy tickets for later games.

21 minutes ago, Mikey said:

A friend of mine that lives in Troy buys season tickets and frequently sends me some mid-week tickets. It's a common thing. Sometimes I use them myself and sometimes I leave them at the family doctor's office where the receptionist gives them to the first party that wants them. That puts people in the seats but doesn't help any with sales, unless those that got the freebies like the experience and buy tickets for later games.

That's good....a "sell out" is a sell out...and that's good ….but having fans in the seats cheering for the team has to help...and there is always the concessions income that is helpful.   I'm just thinking that for many AU home baseball games, there is just not a home field advantage from the standpoint of fan support.   Plus if folks want a bigger facility.....they need to demonstrate demand.   Contrary to the movie...."if you build it they will come" typically does not apply to most college sports.  If you make it interesting....that's a different story however.    

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2019 at 12:45 PM, Tigerbelle said:

MSU draws huge crowds to their stadium because their teams are consistently good. AU can do the same thing. Look at what happened in basketball....

I really think if we become consistent in making the regionals, super regionals, and Omaha, we will see some changes that are sorely needed for baseball. We should never be outdone by MSU, Ole Miss and others with regard to baseball. I do think if we build it, they will come.

Archived