ESPN'S SEC West Preview

Auctoritas

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I will never understand that.  Without Winston, what would he or FSU have become?  That article posted several weeks ago on him was very insightful I think.

I mean you can give Jimbo crap about the implosion that happened at FSU his last season there. No one is arguing that. But before Winston even took a snap at FSU as the starter Jimbo was 31-10 with 3 straight bowl wins and 2 of those 3 seasons being 10 win seasons.Under his watch freaking Christian Ponder and EJ Manuel became first round QBs. That is impressive to me. Heck even after Jameis he had 2 straight seasons in a row with 10 wins and 1 of those seasons they beat Michigan in the Orange bowl. But yah they def did bottom out in 2017 and were 5-6 before he jetted off to TAMU. OL was absolutely gut wrenching terrible.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

What is most crazy to me is he was a intern under his dad at WKU his last 7 years of his playing career. That is just nuts to me. Never heard anything like it. John is another interesting case to me. He was only a special teams coordinator in the NFL before he became Head Coach. That is just wild. IDK if anyone else has gone from special teams coach to Head Coach without any other steps.

Dabo's the closest I can think of, but even he was recruiting coordinator in addition to WRs. 

Agreed about Harbaughs. And it makes me want to go research the Ryan brothers. But then I'll be worried that I'll come up on foot fetish videos. Nevermind about Rexy and Robby. The '85 Bears were awesome. 

48 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I mean you can give Jimbo crap about the implosion that happened at FSU his last season there. No one is arguing that. But before Winston even took a snap at FSU as the starter Jimbo was 31-10 with 3 straight bowl wins and 2 of those 3 seasons being 10 win seasons.Under his watch freaking Christian Ponder and EJ Manuel became first round QBs. That is impressive to me. Heck even after Jameis he had 2 straight seasons in a row with 10 wins and 1 of those seasons they beat Michigan in the Orange bowl. But yah they def did bottom out in 2017 and were 5-6 before he jetted off to TAMU. OL was absolutely gut wrenching terrible.

Not trying to defend Jimbo but there were some pretty terrible things going on in his personal life before he left Tallahassee. He had a very ugly and very public divorce in 2016 after he found out his wife was nailing her personal trainer. I don't like the guy but I can't fault him for losing his edge at FSU and needing a change of scenery after that. 

5 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Not trying to defend Jimbo but there were some pretty terrible personal things going on in his personal life before he left Tallahassee. He had a very ugly and very public divorce in 2016 after he found out his wife was nailing her personal trainer. I don't like the guy but I can't fault him for losing his edge at FSU and needing a change of scenery after that. 

Ouch. 

That makes me that much more concerned about his potential at TAMU. 

In year 1, they finished 39 spots above us nationally in 3rd down conversion %, 61 spots above us in first downs, 31 spots above us in passing offense, 24 spots above us in yards per completion, 47 spots above us in rushing, 28 spots above us in scoring offense, and 63 spots above us in total offense. 

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ouch. 

In year 1, they finished 39 spots above us nationally in 3rd down conversion %, 61 spots above us in first downs, 31 spots above us in passing offense, 24 spots above us in yards per completion, 47 spots above us in rushing, 28 spots above us in scoring offense, and 63 spots above us in total offense. 

Anyone trying to kid themselves into thinking Jimbo isn't going to make aTm a force in the SEC is kidding themselves, imo.  Combine that with LSU's apparent resurgence we're looking at consistent 4th in the division without some significant improvement of our own.

52 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Not trying to defend Jimbo but there were some pretty terrible things going on in his personal life before he left Tallahassee. He had a very ugly and very public divorce in 2016 after he found out his wife was nailing her personal trainer. I don't like the guy but I can't fault him for losing his edge at FSU and needing a change of scenery after that. 

You might of not been trying to defend Jimbo but I def was!!! lol. I think he is the second best coach in the SEC after Saban. People act like he was only good with Winston and that is woefully un true.

14 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Anyone trying to kid themselves into thinking Jimbo isn't going to make aTm a force in the SEC is kidding themselves, imo.  Combine that with LSU's apparent resurgence we're looking at consistent 4th in the division without some significant improvement of our own.

LSU, yeesh. They are going to be one of the 5 most talented teams in the county every year and no school more consistently proves that talent can win games no matter who's coaching. 

55 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ouch. 

I don't think he'll do as well at TAMU as at FSU because the SEC West is way stronger than the ACC was in the early to mid 2010s, but there's no reason they can't be in the hunt to win 10 games every season and compete for the division a lot of years. When you have "F U" money like they do it doesn't matter if Jimbo doesn't work out, they can go buy another coach in four or five years. I've been to College Station twice ('13 and '17), the amount of money they are throwing into facilities (academic and athletic) is nuts. 

5 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I don't think he'll do as well at TAMU as at FSU because the SEC West is way stronger than the ACC was in the early to mid 2010s, but there's no reason they can't be in the hunt to win 10 games every season and compete for the division a lot of years. When you have "F U" money like they do it doesn't matter if Jimbo doesn't work out, they can go buy another coach in four or five years. I've been to College Station twice ('13 and '17), the amount of money they are throwing into facilities (academic and athletic) is nuts. 

Yeah. I don't think in terms of wins and losses. I think in terms of, are they going to be a team that is capable of beating us on a regularly basis? And the answer is, yup, as long as they hire decent coaches. I think Jimbo qualifies. 

5 hours ago, DAG said:

And JF3 was a 3 star QB. He was recruited by Jimbo Fisher, who many refer to a God around here, and he couldn’t coach him to be a QB. Gus took a chance and failed also. And guess what? He goes to Lane Kiffin and is a WR. Get real

Jeremy Johnson is a whole different story. 

Mauk was a 4 star recruit- when is that considered a lesser QB. 

Berkstresser stats were God awful. 49 completion percentage. 5 tds - 7 interceptions 

We need to start having a fact check around here. 

I wasn’t star watching, I was looking at how the products actually performed. Yes, compared to the SEC CG QB that Franklin was, and Drew Lock, the two individuals I listed were the lesser QBs. Saying that a guy was a low star project piece and being a different position somewhere else is irrelevant, that’s the type of individual our coach has recruited more than once. Regardless, that’s a person he expected to be a key QB contributor and it failed, e.g a “lesser QB”. Just call a spade a spade.

Berkstresser is the opposite to JF3 in this comparison.  Mauk = Jeremy. Which side do you think a QB recruit would look at and say, “hmm, I think they’re doing a good job of developing QBs?” 

Hell you could even look at the best each side has to offer. Stidham’s pro stock was comparable to Lock’s BEFORE the season started, both were around the 2nd-5th QB range, and then they went into two completely different directions. That type of volatility has to matter to someone, no? 

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I wasn’t star watching, I was looking at how the products actually performed. Yes, compared to the SEC CG QB that Franklin was, and Drew Lock, the two individuals I listed were the lesser QBs. Saying that a guy was a low star project piece and being a different position somewhere else is irrelevant, that’s the type of individual our coach has recruited more than once. Regardless, that’s a person he expected to be a key QB contributor and it failed, e.g a “lesser QB”. Just call a spade a spade.

Berkstresser is the opposite to JF3 in this comparison.  Mauk = Jeremy. Which side do you think a QB recruit would look at and say, “hmm, I think they’re doing a good job of developing QBs?” 

What are you talking about? JF3 was not a quality QB anywhere . No coach could make him a quality QB, even at the JUCO level. He is not QB material. Yet, you want to critique only Gus for that. What type of logic is that? 

You keep talking about Berkstresser. Berkstresser had awful QB stats. In fact, JF3 in his limited time playing QB had better passing stats than him here. You should take into consideration star quality for evaluation . All of those guys you named besides Berkstresser were 4 star QBs, yet only one of them actually was drafted in the league and lived up to that ranking. 

6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Hell you could even look at the best each side has to offer. Stidham’s pro stock was comparable to Lock’s BEFORE the season started, both were around the 2nd-5th QB range, and then they went into two completely different directions. That type of volatility has to matter to someone, no? 

Now this I agree with.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

What are you talking about? JF3 was not a quality QB anywhere . No coach could make him a quality QB, even at the JUCO level. He is not QB material. Yet, you want to critique only Gus for that. What type of logic is that? 

You keep talking about Berkstresser. Berkstresser had awful QB stats. In fact, JF3 in his limited time playing QB had better passing stats than him here. You should take into consideration star quality for evaluation . All of those guys you named besides Berkstresser were 4 star QBs, yet only one of them actually was drafted in the league and lived up to that ranking. 

I critiqued Gus for his worst QB being worse than the worst Missouri fielded. You keep talking like someone forced JF3 at Gus and he shouldn’t count as a player Gus worked on. If you recruit project pieces, you have to list those project pieces as a fail if they end up as so 

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I critiqued Gus for his worst QB being worse than the worst Missouri fielded. You keep talking like someone forced JF3 at Gus and he shouldn’t count as a player Gus worked on. If you recruit project pieces, you have to list those project pieces as a fail if they end up as so 

But he wasn’t , if you look at the stats between Berkstresser and him. Why do you choose to ignore this is beyond me. And no I never said anyone forced anything on him. In fact , I said he FAILED. But I particularly won’t hold on to that one too much because Jimbo Fisher also failed with him too. Lane Kiffin didn’t even try him at QB. That is not coincidental. If anything , JF3 didn’t even get a true shot at showing his QB capabilities here.

59 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

He better. I don’t think they paid him all that money to be 0-1 against Gus and a regressing JS. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

He better. I don’t think they paid him all that money to be 0-1 against Gus and a regressing JS. 

For all the WTF losses we've had the last 5 years it was sure nice to have a WTF win for once. 

Just now, WalkingCarpet said:

For all the WTF losses we've had the last 5 years it was sure nice to have a WTF win for once. 

Honestly, this might’ve been the first game where I saw opposing fans upset about a victory. 

23 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol ughhhhhhhh I mean facts are fact He had 1 year of being a traditional assistant coach before he became a college head coach. What is wrong with what I was saying? We were not talking about what experience he gained as a player. Just who all he "learned" under before he became a Head Coach when he was a assistant. I am with you. I think Harbaugh is a boss and people underrate him and he has had three ten win seasons in 4 years at Michigan so far. But his resume and who he worked under as a assistant before he became a Head Coach is absolutely comparable to Gus and Dabo. We are not factoring in who all people learned under when they were just a player. That was not a part of the discussion. 

Ironically, ESPN had a piece about all 32 coaches and their first coaching job. Like Jim, John's first job was a GA under his father, too.

I found this quote interesting from Ron Rivera, who is not a favorite of mine, but I digress.

"I was going to make them need me by working as hard as I could,'' Rivera said. "I did everything from taking coaches' cars to get washed and gassed, picking up lunch. I did all the quality control breakdowns. Basically, from the ground up. I learned what it took to be successful. You had to make yourself indispensable, where they had to have you around to help the team.

"That's what I wanted to do. So I learned from the bottom up. I learned to be patient. That's one thing a lot of today's young coaches don't understand is that you have to be patient. You have to earn your stripes. A lot of these young guys are getting elevated into positions that quite honestly, in my opinion, they're not ready for. They make a lot of mistakes, whether it's a positional coach, coordinator or in some cases a head coach. You're going to make mistakes. Unless you've learned to deal with them, you're going to make mistakes.'' 

Another Gem from John

A defensive back in college, Harbaugh never played running back. "What I learned is how much I didn't know," Harbaugh said. "You always think you know everything, especially when you're 21 years old. I found out that I really didn't know anything." 

I’ll also add this. Both Cam and Marshall were masters of the handoff. Sometimes the cameraman and the defense, actually lost sight of the football. I’m hopeful that Bo and Joey both have acquired this ability. Our last few QBs have held it out in front of them advertising it and giving the defense time to swarm to the ball.

7 hours ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Jimbo’s biggest problem was FSU was broke and he couldn’t hire decent help or get upgrades to the facilities. He made a good move to A+M , they got money. That is where our admin is making a mistake. It cost money to win but it also generates money. Uat and Clemson are examples of that.

23 hours ago, WalkingCarpet said:

...the amount of money they are throwing into facilities (academic and athletic) is nuts. 

The amount they have on hand and the amount they are able to bring in quickly is even more astonishing

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The amount they have on hand and the amount they are able to bring in quickly is even more astonishing

And, even in a far superior conference, they're still 2nd fiddle in that state. What the hell, man? Y'all strike oil down there or something?

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

And, even in a far superior conference, they're still 2nd fiddle in that state. What the hell, man? Y'all strike oil down there or something?

The similarities between AU and TAMU are significant. 

Archived