Auburn VS Oregon Discussion (Merged Threads)

aucanucktiger

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Or man vs zone defenders...:-X

Difference between a 3 and a 4! 😮

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I feel the same about people who don't know the difference between sensible and latent heat; exothermic and endothermic; or even the differences in processes and cycles. 

Somebody's getting higher educational...

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Or man vs zone defenders...:-X

...or when to turn your head and when not too.... 😉

11 hours ago, Rednilla said:

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put."
--Winston Churchill

That out of the way, this is considered informal grammar, which means all that really matters is whether the information was understood. Now, obviously, you didn't understand the original post with which you took issue, because the first statement was hope that we win, which was followed by an if/then statement saying that IF we lose, THEN the hope is that we lose by a large margin. The fact that you used a flimsy grammatical miscue in attempt to belittle the poster belies your desperation to seem superior.

By the way, another faux pas in formal writing is that one not use contractions, which you did in your last sentence of the post I'm quoting. Also, you incorrectly called the member "diehard," when the screen name actually begins "dyehard." A REAL Auburn man, especially one of your longevity, should recognize that as a shout out to former coach Pat Dye.

giphy.gif?cid=8fc3c8975cfd20b4656a2e3936

18 minutes ago, GoDucks349 said:

Duck here.... Hoping to have a some reasonable conversations with Auburn fans leading up to the game. 

Welcome!  Happy to have you on the forum.  I hope by reading the posts above you got a good grammar lesson if you were in dire need.  :laugh:

You will find we are pretty welcoming if you aren't here to troll us.  Many of us are not as aware of Oregon as we would like and would value any input you could provide.  If there is anything you would like to know in return just ask away.  Welcome again!

51 minutes ago, GoDucks349 said:

Duck here.... Hoping to have a some reasonable conversations with Auburn fans leading up to the game. 

What's your opinion of Oregon's OL and DL this upcoming season?

7 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Many of us are not as aware of Oregon as we would like

I wasn't even aware they were a state.

Is college football even played outside of the Southeast?

What do they call football up there?  Soccer?

:partey:

Of course, I'm kidding but it will be interesting to see the conversation once the kids actually report to camp.

As for the grammar lessons, that's just old stuff and it's been re-worked, in all parts of the country. Here at Oregon, we tend to tell those jokes about OSU and UW. 

Oh, and bye the way it's the University of Oregon or "U of O", not OU (Oklahoma Univ). 

Let's get something straight, I'm a  fan, not a football player or football junky. I love my Ducks and I thing the program is headed in the right direction. I traveled the USA both rural and urban areas during my working years (49 states both rural and urban areas).... been retired for 8 years. So I'm a bit familiar with the various parts of the country. 

First thought on this game, it's basically a home game for Auburn. It's about 700 miles to Dallas from Auburn and it's 2300 miles from Eugene (driving). Flight time: the shortest I've seen from Birmingham to Dallas is a little over 2 hours. The shortest I've seen from Eugene is over 5 hours. Also, price is cheaper by $100 or two from Alabama. So from Duck territory perspective, this is a home game for Auburn. 

Well Oregon returns something like 10 starters on offense. Of course some of last years starters are probably dropping to the two deep chart due to incoming competition. The offensive line is very solid with a couple future NFL guys on the line. The big question on offense is the receiving corp. Last year they dropped a TON of easy balls. Of course with the addition of Juwan Johnson from Penn State the Ducks have more depth. At 6'4" 230 he had 25 catches for 350 yards last year. He started 7 games last year and he had over 1000 receiving at penn state. He had 17 first down catches last year. Seems like a really solid locker room influence as well. Glad he's a Duck

Almost 20 years after the "Civil War" started, Auburn and Alabama started the "Iron Bowl". So you guys are a bit of "newbies" to in state rivalries in football.

And for those that think the "Civil War" is/was fought between the blue and grey. It's fought annually between the rodents (OSU beavs) and the Mighty Ducks of Oregon. LOL

Sure we haven't had the success over all the decades that the many SEC teams have had, but we're around and we're on the rise.

I'm not too worried about the Oregon defense, feels like the talent is there. Some of it isn't all that tested, but some of it just puts a smile on my face. So it's a bit of a we will see situation. If Oregon gets a few good early hits in the Auburn QB things might be interesting.

10 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Welcome!  Happy to have you on the forum.  I hope by reading the posts above you got a good grammar lesson if you were in dire need.  :laugh:

You will find we are pretty welcoming if you aren't here to troll us.  Many of us are not as aware of Oregon as we would like and would value any input you could provide.  If there is anything you would like to know in return just ask away.  Welcome again!

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I wasn't even aware they were a state.

Is college football even played outside of the Southeast?

What do they call football up there?  Soccer?

:partey:

Of course, I'm kidding but it will be interesting to see the conversation once the kids actually report to camp.

9 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

What's your opinion of Oregon's OL and DL this upcoming season?

14 hours ago, GoDucks349 said:

Almost 20 years after the "Civil War" started, Auburn and Alabama started the "Iron Bowl". So you guys are a bit of "newbies" to in state rivalries in football.

Guess again. Feb 22, 1893 Auburn beat Alabama 32-22.  In 1894 Oregon St. beat Oregon 16-0.  If you want to split semantical hairs about when it was called the Iron Bowl, go for it newbie.:big:

15 hours ago, GoDucks349 said:

First thought on this game, it's basically a home game for Auburn. It's about 700 miles to Dallas from Auburn

That’s exactly what I was thinking.

Oregon's defensive line as of the end of spring practice:

Jordon Scott: 6-foot-1, 329 pounds, junior
Popo Aumavae: 6-foot-3, 309 pounds, redshirt-sophomore OR
Gary Baker: 6-foot-3, 310 pounds, redshirt-senior
Sione Vea Kava: 6-foot-6, 270 pounds, senior

Jordon Scott is a beast, he's the anchor of the D-line. Quoting from one article, the Ducks will be running more 4 man fronts and sub packages this year allowing Scott to get a bit of rest and stay fresh.

31 minutes ago, GoDucks349 said:

Oregon's defensive line as of the end of spring practice:

Jordon Scott: 6-foot-1, 329 pounds, junior
Popo Aumavae: 6-foot-3, 309 pounds, redshirt-sophomore OR
Gary Baker: 6-foot-3, 310 pounds, redshirt-senior
Sione Vea Kava: 6-foot-6, 270 pounds, senior

Jordon Scott is a beast, he's the anchor of the D-line. Quoting from one article, the Ducks will be running more 4 man fronts and sub packages this year allowing Scott to get a bit of rest and stay fresh.

I noticed in Oregons spring game and roster listing that they have, at the very least, upgraded size wise on D-line and O-line since the Chip K days. The mini fridge looks pretty good from what I've seen of Oregons games.

2 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

I noticed in Oregons spring game and roster listing that they have, at the very least, upgraded size wise on D-line and O-line since the Chip K days. The mini fridge looks pretty good from what I've seen of Oregons games.

Also, all of the linemen have trimmed down since arriving at Oregon. Most have reduced weight by around 20-30 lbs. through strength and conditioning. Example" Scott is down about 30 lbs. in the last two years.

45 minutes ago, GoDucks349 said:

Also, all of the linemen have trimmed down since arriving at Oregon. Most have reduced weight by around 20-30 lbs. through strength and conditioning. Example" Scott is down about 30 lbs. in the last two years.

What type of defense are y'all running? You mentioned more 4 man fronts. Is it more of a  4-3 or a 4-2-5?

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

What type of defense are y'all running? You mentioned more 4 man fronts. Is it more of a  4-3 or a 4-2-5?

I've seen it described as primarily 3-3-5 but often rushes 4. I've also seen it described as 4-2-5..  So basically, it's a flexible system based on situation and talent.

2 minutes ago, GoDucks349 said:

I've seen it described as primarily 3-3-5 but often rushes 4. I've also seen it described as 4-2-5..  So basically, it's a flexible system based on situation and talent.

When the OLB attaches to the line, does he play as a stand up end or does he get in a stance?

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

When the OLB attaches to the line, does he play as a stand up end or does he get in a stance?

I don't know, you're question is beyond my knowledge level.

13 minutes ago, GoDucks349 said:

I don't know, you're question is beyond my knowledge level.

Don't worry about it he's just trying to show off:poke:

36 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Don't know what they do but I was a standup guy in the day of the triple option...that's my comfort zone...

Archived