The Blame

AUght2win

I am prepared to get excoriated for this. But it was a big deal tonight, and it's worth talking about. We had a thread on it this AM before @bigbird locked it.

Offense got humming on the ground in the 2nd half as we have done all year. It's the 4th quarter. We get the ball from D. Brown's 2nd fumble recovery on our own 40. Boobee opens the drive by gashing the Gators for gains of 16 and 6. He then checks himself out of the ball game. We stall next three plays, resulting in Nix's Mega Sack.

In the past Gus has run guys into the ground, but we are supposed to be structuring the rotation so Boobee can thrive late with fresh legs. Those two carries were only Jatarvious' 14th and 15th touches of the game. 

Bro, he has GOT to stay in and grind right there. Think about Tre Mason and Kerryon. That's when they put their foot on defenses' throats. Boobee has got to get in shape. Got to be the guy in crucial situations. I think if he stays in, at least for a few more plays, the entire complexion of the drive changes.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, amsterjam said:

You don't pay someone 7mil a year for that though do you?

You do if thats what the market price dictates. He’s a better coach than Chad Morris or the dorks in Mississippi. He’s had success that most coaches in the SEC will never think to have. 7 million gets you a National Championship appearance  1 SEC championship and 2 SEC game appearances and a couple of wins against your 2 biggest rivals, because most coaches in the SEC can’t even do that in a 6 year span. 

10 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

The SEC is down overall and has been for a few years now. Gus has benefited from that. Look at our Gus´ record against LSU, GA, and AL. Now think what it would be if Arkansas, MS State, Ole Miss, and aTm were as good as they have been in previous years. We are consistently stuck in the middle of the SEC and show no signs of being able to break through to the top as GA & LSU seem to have done..

And we won't until we decide that mediocre is not acceptable. 

The two you mentioned fired coaches that were far more successful than Gus. Every year it's a different excuse with the Malzahn apologists. It's either injuries, or Jeremy just didn't pan out after Gus told us all spring, and fall camp what an elite talent he was.  Then it was I'm giving up play calling. I'm taking back over play calling. Kerryon got banged up. Gus left his sweater vest in the motel room, ran out of double bubble etc. It's nauseating, and I'm sick of it. 

52 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

It’s Gus’s fault for failing to correct the problem. He could have done that by at least sitting Bo a series or to. Who knows Joey might have kick started the running game but even if he didn’t it might have given Bo a chance to catch his breath and catch up

to the moment. Simply put Gus failed Bo big time and by doing so he failed the team. No more chances. Gus needs to be relieved and soon. If not we most likely lose 3 to 5 more games this year.

And if we still lost, all the talk would be about how Gus screwed up Bo by benching him. Time to realize a 15-0 Natty just wasn't in the cards with a TF QB.

14 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

You do if thats what the market price dictates. He’s a better coach than Chad Morris or the dorks in Mississippi. He’s had success that most coaches in the SEC will never think to have. 7 million gets you a National Championship appearance  1 SEC championship and 2 SEC game appearances and a couple of wins against your 2 biggest rivals, because most coaches in the SEC can’t even do that in a 6 year span. 

This "market price" of SEC head coaches has Saban at the top at 8.3 million, Fisher (National Championship) at 7.5 mil, Gus at 6.7 mil, Kirby at 6.6 million, and Dan Mullen at 6 million.  The next highest SEC head coach is Muschamp at 4.2 million.  Any market that has Dan Mullen at 6 million is in a bubble.  

More to the point though, the buyer's side of the top of that market was not chasing Gus when the extension talk was going on.  We were fighting with Arkansas, who currently pays Morris the 9th highest salary in the league.  We were not fighting off UGA, UF, TAMU to keep Gus.  So the "market price" argument in my opinion is a weak card to play.  Gus was in the position to go home to Arkansas or walk.  Don't get me wrong, Sexton worked it brilliantly, but Auburn's dumb powers that be are the only thing that brings the "market price" argument into play.

@AuCivilEng1 if the tone of this comes off as even the least bit hostile toward you, know it's not my intention.  I like your contributions to this board, I just get REALLY passionate about the "market price" argument with respect to Gus 😂.  War Eagle and hopefully better days ahead.

49 minutes ago, around4ever said:

8-4 with the losses being to Top 10 teams will not get him fired.  If he wins one of those remaining three Top 10 games he will get an extension.  If he wins two of them, he'll get another nice raise.  We are Auburn. 

You are dead wrong. 8-4 will get him fired. 

3 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Apparently a good part of our fanbase does believe you do.

Sadly I have to agree. Making excuses why top 5 pay should not have to yield top 5 results. IMO Gus' greed will be his downfall. He brought the added pressure on himself by flirting with leaving unless he got top 5 money. When you demand top 5 money from someone then you better be ready to produce top 5 results. If he would have been satisfied with his top 25 money I don't think people would be quite as upset about his top 25 results.

27 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I am prepared to get excoriated for this. But it was a big deal tonight, and it's worth talking about. We had a thread on it this AM before @bigbird locked it.

Seriously? The more you post the dumber you look...and you've posted plenty. You continue to be clueless.

You might want to ask @TitanTiger who locked it.  

22 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

In the past Gus has run guys into the ground, but we are supposed to be structuring the rotation so Boobee can thrive late with fresh legs. Those two carries were only Jatarvious' 14th and 15th touches of the game. 

Bro, he has GOT to stay in and grind right there. Think about Tre Mason and Kerryon. That's when they put their foot on defenses' throats. Boobee has got to get in shape. Got to be the guy in crucial situations. I think if he stays in, at least for a few more plays, the entire complexion of the drive changes.

Not arguing or even disagreeing but simply pointing out that at least one (maybe another?) poster, who was actually at the game today said that Boobee was clutching one of his knees on the sideline.  Appears he's actually hurt and fighting through it to play, limiting his effectiveness. 

Remind you of any other situations Auburn football has found itself in over the last few years?

19 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

And they cut to him on the sideline one play later and he looked really winded. To me it didn't seem like he should have been but I could be wrong. I assume every RB wants the ball every play but what do I know. 

26 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I locked it and it was because it's becoming apparent that your main purpose here is not to engage in real conversation, but to be a s*** stirrer.  Plus the thread was going downhill on a personal level.  That's why it was locked.

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

And they cut to him on the sideline one play later and he looked really winded. To me it didn't seem like he should have been but I could be wrong. I assume every RB wants the ball every play but what do I know. 

I was at the stadium and couldn't believe it. I obviously didn't see the sideline shot but Boobee had them on the ropes and took himself out. Never seen that before from a top tier guy in crunch time.

1 minute ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Before or after Mullen left the dorks in Mississippi? Gus is 4-3 vs State & 5-1 vs the Rebs. Malzahn is 3-3 against Mullen as a HC. Ridiculous considering Gus has had since 2013 to build his program. Arkansas didn't put him on the map AU & Cam did, just like Gundy is no better than OK State. Auburn is better than this horse crap

Yep...our fanbase now considers a natty appearance from 6 years ago and a “couple” of wins against our rivals as a successful coaching career at Auburn...this is what’s frustrating to me. When did we just decide to wave the white flag and settle for 6-16 against our three biggest rivals? Take away two of the biggest (luckiest?) plays in history and all you have is the last two games of 2017...which were quickly erased in the uga rematch and rendered virtually meaningless. 

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Not arguing or even disagreeing but simply pointing out that at least one (maybe another?) poster, who was actually at the game today said that Boobee was clutching one of his knees on the sideline.  Appears he's actually hurt and fighting through it to play, limiting his effectiveness. 

Remind you of any other situations Auburn football has found itself in over the last few years?

I didnt see him clutching his knee and that would change things for me in how I saw that situation. 

Just now, CAReeves2010 said:

I dont think anyone truly believed that, sounds nice but not reality. Most are pissed because we see the writing on the wall with a championship level DL w/ offensive talent being wasted once again. It's getting old

And I maintain that we're just not going to win them all.  We lost by just 9 in a hostile environment with a TF QB and played very poorly.  All hope is not lost.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

I locked it and it was because it's becoming apparent that your main purpose here is not to engage in real conversation, but to be a s*** stirrer.  Plus the thread was going downhill on a personal level.  That's why it was locked.

That's fine, dude. I don't care who locked it or why. If you want to look at who has been starting conflicts or whatever, go and check out these threads. Read them top to bottom. I am not a crap stirrer, but I am also not a crap-taker (pun not intended). 

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

I was at the stadium and couldn't believe it. I obviously didn't see the sideline shot but Boobee had them on the ropes and took himself out. Never seen that before from a top tier guy in crunch time.

The poor fella was exhausted. Damn.

4 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I didnt see him clutching his knee and that would change things for me in how I saw that situation. 

I believe @3rdgeneration pointed it out in another thread.  Also, I do believe another poster did too... (but can't swear to it).  Regardless,  3rdGen's word is enough for me. 

24 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Market price? Gus makes more than Dabo Swinney and Kirby Smart. 

52 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Hey man, first of all, understand Im in no way trying to start anything with you. I agree with your sentiment but you have to start wondering if we’ve just reached a point where so much of our fans and alumni have accepted that until Saban leaves and/or Kirby slows down, we just won’t compete regularly. Now, I agree that 6-16 SHOULD be unacceptable but look at how many AU fans seemingly don’t care as long as we win 7 or 8 and go to a bowl. It just makes me wonder where we are as a program. We’ve had two tastes of the good life recently in ‘10 and ‘13 but those feel like aberrations and not the norm.

I hear ya. I don't know though, man. Since the 80's, Auburn's norm is to make an appearance each year in the top 10, and once about every 5 years make a serious run at the title. 83, 88, 93, 04, 10, 13, 17. We have higher expectations now as a program than ever, I think. We don't need to consistently be 4th in the SEC. UAT is a machine that will eventually tire (maybe years from now, maybe soon) but UGA and LSU shouldn't be beating us the way they are. Specifically, I think Gus' record against UGA is going to sink him more than his record against Bama. 

Archived