Pass heavy against Arkansas?

SumterAubie

to give our Frosh qb extra passing reps? or does Auburn go run heavy to establish a go to ball carrier ahead of playing lsu. I'm thinking every pass Nix throws is an opportunity to calm down, and by doing so, improve. 

Caveat-I know nothing of the thought process of setting up an offense.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • WarTiger changed the title to Pass heavy against Arkansas?
23 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I bet we do whatever we think gives us the best chance to win. 

4 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

This may be worth revisiting after the game.  :)

Right. Considering Malzahn, I'm not so sure that is applicable.

I suspect that if Auburn finds out that it can run on Arky (which, face it.... they SHOULD) then we're likely to see 75% runs with a handful of bombs.  This is not a knock....just experience.

Not sure where the focus will be, but I am sure they'll be folks on here complaining even if we win by 20.

Better be prepping for how we are going to play without BW, considering he was always a Go to for Gus. Also need to be prepping that against good DL’s our OL can’t move people, so we better start now (really should’ve started during the bye week, hopefully it did) on a formula that is going to help us in the LSU, UGA, and bama games. Making JG a staple on 3rd and shorts when we can’t get a push would help some.

Just when I think Gus has become a new coach, he suddenly becomes Gus again and falls into a pattern of predictability. The Florida game was like this. I think if he would have involved Schwartz more in that game, we could have had a good chance of winning it. Gus needs to become unpredictable in a good way the rest of the season and maybe we can win.

I do hope we have a great passing game against the piggies and have a coming out party for DJ Williams Saturday.

30 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I suspect that if Auburn finds out that it can run on Arky (which, face it.... they SHOULD) then we're likely to see 75% runs with a handful of bombs.  This is not a knock....just experience.

Yep. Gus has proven over and over he will not do 'work on stuff' play calling. If we're successful running early, we'll be running all day. Nevermind LSU is next.

I doubt it. We all saw what Nix is capable of during the Miss State game. I suspect we’ll try to establish domincance early with the run game (hopefully DJ). Bo will probably take a few long shots but I expect pretty vanilla play calling to keep LSU from getting too much film 

2 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I doubt it. We all saw what Nix is capable of during the Miss State game...Bo will probably take a few long shots but I expect pretty vanilla play calling to keep LSU from getting too much film 

We also saw what he is capable of vs UF....and yes, we definitely don't want our freshman QB to get too many game reps...:rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

We also saw what he is capable of vs UF....and yes, we definitely don't want our freshman QB to get too many game reps...:rolleyes:

Really won’t matter against a DL that isn’t “elite”  and not in a tough environment. Bo has to settle down in these big times road games. He had some plays there against UF but either didn’t hit them the right way or didn’t see them. I’m def one that sees the very high potential of Bo’s future, but padding stats won’t help him. We need to tailor things and have a game plan to help Bo and this OL. This OL man to man can’t move anyone that is above average, so scheme matters. People talk about JG not getting a shot against UF, but even more than that, the fact that we didn’t put him in on the multiple 3rd and shorts and completely telegraphed that we were giving it to whitlow up the middle just irks me

18 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I’d rather go into LSU feeling good about our RBs our OL. Bo had a bad game but we’ve seen what he’s capable of when he’s on and he has to have help 

Imo the aTm game set the precedent for this game- super focus lazer ninja execution against a team that just can't deal with it. IDk about the run/pass ratio- but the ball will be flying for every reason, most of all the time of possession. We should get a game-and-a-half out of this one. Tons of passing. Tons of running. Saddly I believe very little of what we do will be available at Baton Rouge the following week. I still see 10-2 potential, but that LSU game just aint looking good to me.

I didn’t think we would need to get Bo calmed down. Lol. If anything I thought that would be a given. But as for Arkansas I dont think our coaches are thinking about LSU at all. They should be in the third quarter of this game but not now. But I would predict that we go run heavy early then some bombs but not show a lot of short and underneath unless we need to. I hope we are working on the short and underneath stuff. We have to be able to covert 3rd and short. That’s probably the weakest part of the offense vs Florida. Although we were still in position to win without those conversions. If we start converting those early that game takes a totally different route. 

55 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I doubt it. We all saw what Nix is capable of during the Miss State game. I suspect we’ll try to establish domincance early with the run game (hopefully DJ). Bo will probably take a few long shots but I expect pretty vanilla play calling to keep LSU from getting too much film 

Is there really any reason to go "vanilla" anymore? What haven't we shown already? I think playcalling will be simple just because arky should be a lay-up.

3 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Is there really any reason to go "vanilla" anymore? What haven't we shown already? I think playcalling will be simple just because arky should be a lay-up.

Going into game 7, if you’re going vanilla something’s wrong. It means that you don’t have faith in your team that they can execute in the big games. We were throwing flea flickers against Kent state for goodness sake lol. Vanilla at this point in the season maybe for a red zone package, an onside kick, a fake on special teams, not your regular offense lol

I always like a balanced offense. To me the most dangerous offenses are the balanced, unpredictable ones. Something Gus has never displayed much of. Having said that, I look for a run heavy o this week.

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Going into game 7, if you’re going vanilla something’s wrong. It means that you don’t have faith in your team that they can execute in the big games. We were throwing flea flickers against Kent state for goodness sake lol.

Exactly...It should be balls to the wall.. Don't hold anything back from here on out.

Gus Tendencies

• 2006 Arkansas: 302 vs. 546 (64% run)
  • 2007 Tulsa: 564 vs. 562 (50%)
  • 2008 Tulsa: 432 vs. 674 (61% run)
  • 2009 Auburn: 364 vs. 550 (61% run)
  • 2010 Auburn: 296 vs. 652 (69% run)
  • 2011 Auburn: 292 vs. 536 (65% run)
  • 2012 Arkansas State: 411 vs. 540 (57% run)
  • 2013 Auburn: 285 vs. 729 (72% run)
  • 2014 Auburn: 332 vs. 607 (65% run)
  • 2015 Auburn: 306 vs. 587 (66% run)
  • 2016 Auburn: 201 vs. 482 (71% run)
  • 2017 Auburn: 382 vs. 642 (63% run)
  • 2018 Auburn: 382 vs. 512 (57% run)

He will never go pass happy. This is not what he does.

37 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I’m just saying don’t expect any new wrinkles in the offense this weekend. He’s gonna save any new tricks/schemes he has left for LSU 

I just want to see Nix without a visor.  Just an unnecessary thing in his way.  After a quarter, it's like wearing a pair of badly scratched glasses...ain't nobody got time for that.

Archived