Coaching Candidates

AUght2win

7 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

We will fire Gus and Hire Chad Morris, While Gus returns to Arky LMAO JABA. Seriously, I love Bill Clark but there are obvious risks there. PJ Fleck another good one. Matt Campbell (ISU coaches scare me). 

There’s risk with every coaching candidate. That’s why the decision to fire should always be very carefully thought out. 

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, casatiger said:

There is no magic formula.  

Saban

Meyer

L Riley

Bowl cut

Dabo

Brian Kelley

Yaw Yaw

All of these guys are successful right now and all have different pedigrees. Crutin is a must and the rest is the secret sauce we need to figure out for Auburn.  I wish Gus could figure out his recipe.  

Some great examples of the chances taken when you hire and fire. A lot of people forget that Saban was barely over .500 when LSU hired him from Michigan State. Orgeron was terrible at Ole Miss but has done well at USC and LSU. Dabo was never a coordinator, but we know what he’s done as a HC. You just never know for sure. 

6 hours ago, Carnell said:

Because before becoming HC at Auburn, I think the coach should have significant experience as an OC or a DC at a school in a power 5 conference.  Scott has been OC at Clemson for 5 years now.  The other two have very little experience at schools in the power 5 conferences and certainly no experience as an OC or DC at a school in a power 5 conference.  The only reason those two are at their respective schools now is both are bottom tiered teams and those schools are not going to be able to get the best quality coaches so they have to take chances on higher risk coaches.

Jeff Scott’s boss had zero experience as a coordinator and he’s done great. 

8 hours ago, casatiger said:

There is no magic formula.  

Saban

Meyer

L Riley

Bowl cut

Dabo

Brian Kelley

Yaw Yaw

All of these guys are successful right now and all have different pedigrees. Crutin is a must and the rest is the secret sauce we need to figure out for Auburn.  I wish Gus could figure out his recipe.  

You're right, no magic formula. If there was everyone would be doing it. While I believe Gus is safe for another year I think it's safe to say he will not be finding the formula either. He recruits well overall but has deficiencies in each class at certain positions. His game plans aren't adaptable or he's not, either way. He is definitely the right coach to lead young men in life but is that enough to satisfy the masses? He makes some lazy coaching hires. When the time comes should we hire a power 5 head coach, an OC or DC, an up and coming head coach from a smaller school or and assistant from the NFL. Or maybe we just find the coach that stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. It's a crap shoot in every way unless you include the guys listed above and they aren't coming. The rest of the names mentioned might come if their situation and the time is right. I feel like Auburn punts this year on a coaching search but next year we may go for it. 

I have two thoughts on this topic.

The first is something my dad told me back when I was young and single and doing a lot of dating. He said “If you find the perfect girl she won’t want to marry you!”

The second thought is “Remember Tennessee!”

3 minutes ago, Auskip said:

I have two thoughts on this topic.

The first is something my dad told me back when I was young and single and doing a lot of dating. He said “If you find the perfect girl she won’t want to marry you!”

The second thought is “Remember Tennessee!”

I found the perfect girl...she married me....

Tennessee ain’t Auburn...

5 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I found the perfect girl...she married me....

Tennessee ain’t Auburn...

Can’t be perfect then😁

8 hours ago, doug3020 said:

Rhett Lashlee. Haven't seen his name tossed out there. Doing big things at SMU. 

This would be the classic JABA hire.

Oh my. It would be the new gold standard of JABA. 

11 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

OP left out the top two guys

Chip and Rhett?

13 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

wqeweq.jpg

just as an aside i watced wayne at a terry bowden practice and that is one bowlegged cat............

14 hours ago, AUght2win said:

This is not a flame-Gus thread. Take that elsewhere.

This is the funniest part of your thread, you're already flaming Gus by creating this half way through the season. 

But here are my candidates:

-Belicheck, Michael Jordan, E.T., and Arnold Schwarznegger. 

Done.

12 hours ago, WarTim said:

Lose to all three and Gus will still be HC in 2020. 

When everyone figures this out, they will sleep better at night.

11 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

We will fire Gus and Hire Chad Morris, While Gus returns to Arky LMAO JABA. Seriously, I love Bill Clark but there are obvious risks there. PJ Fleck another good one. Matt Campbell (ISU coaches scare me). 

that crossed my mind as well.

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Jeff Scott’s boss had zero experience as a coordinator and he’s done great. 

I am not saying that exceptions to the rule do not exist.  However these coaches are high risk for success as a HC at a school in a power 5 conference.   If people want to justify going to the lesser conference to pick a HC based on an exception to the rule is going to lose a lot more than win.  Filling an inside straight probably has less odds than your strategy.

Sweeny while not an OC did have the vast majority of experience at Alabama and Clemson before becoming a HC.

Hiring any coach is a risk but the risk can be significantly reduced by sticking to a minimum OCs and DCs in power 5 conferences or the NFL.  

I just dont understand not picking a coach from the pool of canadiates at your level or above.  BUT PEOPLE that continually want to regress to lesser conferences to get their coach I can recommend some youth football that you guys would probably be interested in.

1 hour ago, BJCrawford said:

But Auburn could certainly become Tennessee

No not really. Even our crap coaches win some. No reason at all to make the comparison. Of course if we keep accepting 8-4 seasons then we could certainly become Iowa...

41 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

This is the funniest part of your thread, you're already flaming Gus by creating this half way through the season. 

Done.

🙄

44 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Done.

Actually thats not a bad list...I bet every single one of them could run a better offense than Gus

Bobby Petrino, oh, wait.... Chad Morris, oh, wait... Justin Fuente, oh, wait,...... Lane Kiffin, oh, wait.....Scott Frost, oh, wait...Jeff Brohm, oh, wait...

The above is a more or less chronological list of this message board's favorite candidates to replace Gus, it may be incomplete. This is a simple list of the hot topic guys on here that have since done worse at their jobs than Gus has done at Auburn over the same period of time.

Who's next?

11 hours ago, Carnell said:

Because before becoming HC at Auburn, I think the coach should have significant experience as an OC or a DC at a school in a power 5 conference.  Scott has been OC at Clemson for 5 years now.  The other two have very little experience at schools in the power 5 conferences and certainly no experience as an OC or DC at a school in a power 5 conference.  The only reason those two are at their respective schools now is both are bottom tiered teams and those schools are not going to be able to get the best quality coaches so they have to take chances on higher risk coaches.

To lead a program and get EVERYONE fired up and behind Auburn football 100%, we don't have to have a former coordinator.  A leader will hire the right people to run the offense and defense.  I think I actually prefer that the next head coach not be attached or married to a specific system.  That is our problem now.  We have an offense and a guy running it that does not know anything else.  If the plan fails we decide not to use our pistols because we have only learned how to operate the long rifles.

Archived