Coaching Candidates

AUght2win

More boosters want Gus gone than ones that want to keep him.   Leath is gone. IDK what Green is thinking. But boosters are tired of the offenses constant struggles.   Yes we are 5-1 but Tulane and Kent State are already behind us.   Three of the four toughest teams are still ahead of  us.   Gus is suppoedto be a great offensive mind yet the defense has been the only consistency and has carried the team for the last three seasons.  Gus is Gus is Gus.  He has been the same guy every year.   Nothing on offense ever changes.   Not  really.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Matt Rhule has something cooking if you look at the rebuilding angle:

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs
Temple Owls (American Athletic Conference) (2013–2016)
2013 Temple 2–10 1–7 T–9th  
2014 Temple 6–6 4–4 6th  
2015 Temple 10–4 7–1 1st (East) L Boca Raton
2016 Temple 10–3 7–1 1st (East) Military*
Temple: 28–23 19–13 * Departed Temple for Baylor before bowl game
Baylor Bears (Big 12 Conference) (2017–present)
2017 Baylor 1–11 1–8 9th  
2018 Baylor 7–6 4–5 T–5th W Texas
2019 Baylor 6–0 3–0    
Baylor: 14–17 8–13  
Total: 42–40

Almost included Rhule. What a mess he inherited at Baylor, and now they are on the rise again. 

4 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Any school looking for a new coach should have Bill Clark on the list. Wins at UAB, program shuts down, rebuilds program from ground up, and goes bowling first year back. Follows with 11 wins, then loses 30 seniors, and is 5-1 again. Also ignited significant faculty upgrades. He doesn’t rely on a particular scheme, or franchise players. Just knows how to build and run a top notch program. Impressive guy. 

Bill is so underrated. He is just a leader of young men, it seems. I honestly think he'd be my first call. There are so many unknowns with him, but he has the #1 skill required which is being a consistent, unceasing winner. 

41 minutes ago, creed said:

This topic is kinda like "respectfully" discussing the details of how to  handle your parents future death with your siblings. The timing sucks, it's creepy and your siblings will give you the are you stupid look.

No one should ever be sad about the prospect of a man who will get several million dollars when he is fired. But yah totally compare it to death...... Absolutely ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Almost included Rhule. What a mess he inherited at Baylor, and now they are on the rise again. 

I do think he is a actual real good coach. A real developer of talent. My only question with him would be could he recruit extremely well which is the most important thing. Especially in the cutthroat sec.

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

No one should ever be sad about the prospect of a man who will get several million dollars when he is fired. But yah totally compare it to death...... Absolutely ridiculous.

Amen. I really don't understand the thought process of the board sometimes. For one, folks need to lighten up. For two, why can't we have threads like this? It actually produces discussion, it's relevant, and I learn more about the larger college football world through them. 

It's ironic because a lot of the board seems to be older folks who talk down to millennials. But it's a very "snowflake" approach to downvote or whine because someone wants to discuss a topic that you don't want to hear. 

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

This is not a flame-Gus thread. Take that elsewhere.

This discussion is predicated on a worst-case scenario coming true - we lose to LSU, UGA, and Bama, and Gus being let go. I want to discuss who's out there. Again, this is not about keeping or firing Gus. Not about his pros or cons. It's assuming it DOES happen, and this is about looking to the available coaches.

The argument I've heard for a while is that we don't want to be coach shopping this year, as there aren't any good candidates. I don't know if there's ever a GOOD time to be looking for a coach, but I assume people mean there aren't a ton of proven commodities. I'm not so sure this is true. Here are some current head coaching prospects:

• Bob Stoops, HC - Dallas Renegades (190-48) - the obvious leadoff batter in this discussion. All the rumors last year. He isn't done coaching. The guy is heading up an XFL team for Pete's sake. Also, the first words out of his mouth when explicitly asked if he would ever return to college football were, "Well, we'll see." 
  • PJ Fleck, HC - Minnesota (48-35) - this guy is a superstar in the making. He has Minnesota 6-0 in his third year at the school. If you're unfamiliar with Fleck's history, he is only 38 years old. He took his first head coaching job at Western Michigan when he was just 32. His first year he went 1-11. The next three years were all winning seasons, culminating in a 13-0 run to the Cotton Bowl and MAC title in 2016. It was the school's first CONFERENCE title since 1988! He's since gone to the perennially mediocre Minnesota and built them into a winner. He's got a ton of energy and confidence. Should be one of the first guys looked at.
  • Matt Campbell, HC - Iowa State (58-36) - Many will shudder at the prospects of a visit from the ghost of Christmas/Iowa State Past, but this guy is another young talent worth considering. Just 39, he's brought actual consistency to Iowa State. He's won two games against top 5 opponents, and developed guys into legit pro talent.
  • Bronco Mendenhall, HC - Virginia (119-67) - Really underrated coached. Has been a head coach for 15 seasons. Led BYU to a bowl each of his 11 seasons there. He beat teams like Oklahoma (ranked #3 at the time), Texas, Utah, Oregon, UCLA, Arizona, TCU, Boise State, Ole Miss, Washington, and other Power 5 teams. He's now building Virginia up after several years of being a doormat. Might be the safest bet in terms of getting an experienced winner. Would love to see what he'd do with real talent. 
  • Mark Stoops, HC - Kentucky (39-42) - if we don't get one Stoops, we might get Diet Stoops instead. I actually think Mark is a great head coach. He won SEC Coach of the Year last year with a 10 win season (only the third in Kentucky's history). He also has taken the cats to three straight bowls, which has only been done at UK by Rich Brooks and Bear Bryant. His teams always seem to be a tough out. He also has a Tuberville-like knack to find real talent. Josh Allen was a 2 star, and Benny Snell was a 3 star. This is another guy I'd like to see with real talent around him.
  • Bill Clark, HC - UAB (41-19 in college, 106-11 in high school) - I love this guy. He is a winner. Point blank. He is also the state of Alabama incarnate. Born and raised here. Coached high school ball across the state. Coached at Jacksonville State, South Alabama, and UAB. What he's done at UAB is truly remarkable. They went 11-3 last year, and are 5-1 this year. AT UAB! AFTER THE PROGRAM WAS SHUT DOWN FOR A YEAR! Probably my personal #1 candidate. 

Feel free to add or discuss more candidates. I stayed away from coordinators as candidates (as they are endless) and I also stayed away from guys who just don't seem keen on coming to the SEC (Leach, Gundy, Petersen, etc.). But you guys don't have to. List anyone you want!

Pj fleck, Matt Campbell  do not have any experience as coordinators at a power 5 school and just because they are head coaches at schools in power 5 conferences does not keep this from being a high risk hire.  Mendenhall pretty much the same.  Clark is a gus clone a high school coach.   Stoops while they may meet the qualifications they will not compete with Saben, Smart or Orgeron.  

If you want quality coaches at the college level then James Franklin of PSU or Jeff Scott of  Clemson will be excellent choices.

NFL coaches Dennis Allen Saints and Eric Biemmany (sp) of the chiefs would also be excellent choices.

5 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Pj fleck, Matt Campbell  do not have any experience as coordinators at a power 5 school and just because they are head coaches at schools in power 5 conferences does not keep this from being a high risk hire.  Mendenhall pretty much the same.  Clark is a gus clone a high school coach.   Stoops while they may meet the qualifications they will not compete with Saben, Smart or Orgeron.  

If you want quality coaches at the college level then James Franklin of PSU or Jeff Scott of  Clemson will be excellent choices.

NFL coaches Dennis Allen Saints and Eric Biemmany (sp) of the chiefs would also be excellent choices.

Allen has no college experience aside from 1 GA season, and Bienemy has never been higher than a coordinator. I don't see what you see in those guys. Leading a college program and recruiting are wholly unique jobs compared to being an NFL assistant. Even an NFL head coach. 

30 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Amen. I really don't understand the thought process of the board sometimes. For one, folks need to lighten up. For two, why can't we have threads like this? It actually produces discussion, it's relevant, and I learn more about the larger college football world through them. 

It's ironic because a lot of the board seems to be older folks who talk down to millennials. But it's a very "snowflake" approach to downvote or whine because someone wants to discuss a topic that you don't want to hear. 

Its not “Auburn like”...

11 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Why is Jeff Scott a better choice than Matt Campbell or pj fleck again?

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Why is Jeff Scott a better choice than Matt Campbell or pj fleck again?

PJ is the real deal. I truly believe. Only problem with him is he's a little gimmicky. "Row the Boat" or whatever. Comes off as a bit of a self-help seminar speaker. 

4 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

BTW @AUght2win...I have zero problem with the thread, although I agree with WarTim it won’t matter if he loses t all 3, he wil be back...for another 7-5 season next year..but you’re just inviting a Mikey and 64 attack here...

This may be true. However. South Carolina just made that UGA game a lot more inexcusable for Gus. If we had to face UGA, LSU, and Bama all undefeated, it might be forgivable to lose all three. But UGA has shown they aren't a great team. And we match up very well, considering they are run-first and the USC D-Line apparently eviscerated their O-line.

If Gus lets THIS Georgia team beat him at home, he is in real trouble. 

Just now, AUght2win said:

This may be true. However. South Carolina just made that UGA game a lot more inexcusable for Gus. If we had to face UGA, LSU, and Bama all undefeated, it might be forgivable to lose all three. But UGA has shown they aren't a great team. And we match up very well, considering they are run-first and the USC D-Line apparently eviscerated their O-line.

If Gus lets THIS Georgia team beat him at home, he is in real trouble. 

I just don’t know what the PTB are thinking. I know there are boosters willing to pay the buyout but I can’t see them doing it after an 8-4 season. Doesn’t mean I agree with it because we all know we’ll get the same or worse next year but it is what it is. 

8 minutes ago, Carnell said:

I had no idea Eric Bieniemy was OC at KC. I will always remember him by his nickname given to him by Chris Berman...Eric Sleeping With Bieniemy. That may have been Berman's best ever. 

As long as we are speculating on a change I do like Bill Clark but that hire would make me nervous. I like Fleck too. As far as Stoops (A) it's funny because I don't care one way or the other. Stoops (B) has done well at UK but he coaches in the weaker East which has 4- 5 wins that wouldn't be as easy in the West. 

We will fire Gus and Hire Chad Morris, While Gus returns to Arky LMAO JABA. Seriously, I love Bill Clark but there are obvious risks there. PJ Fleck another good one. Matt Campbell (ISU coaches scare me). 

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

As long as we are speculating on a change I do like Bill Clark but that hire would make me nervous. I like Fleck too. As far as Stoops (A) it's funny because I don't care one way or the other. Stoops (B) has done well at UK but he coaches in the weaker East which has 4- 5 wins that wouldn't be as easy in the West. 

Stoops B always reminded me of a guy that would be the manager at Chik Fillet. Makes me hungry to watch UK play. 

3 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

We will fire Gus and Hire Chad Morris, While Gus returns to Arky LMAO JABA. Seriously, I love Bill Clark but there are obvious risks there. PJ Fleck another good one. Matt Campbell (ISU coaches scare me). 

So much could to be true with your post it's scary. I feel the same with ISU anything. One HC and one President is enough for me. 

56 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I read a lot of your posts so I asked myself how would Gwill respond and i wrote that in your honor.😁

I actually started to use a reference to my father's future colonoscopy but it didn't seem you.

What do you guys think of Herm Edwards? I doubt we'd have a shot at him and do not know if anybody would want him, but after watching the latest EP of HBO's 24/7 College FB I have come to realize I really like and have mad respect for coach Herm.

4 minutes ago, creed said:

I actually started to use a reference to my father's future colonoscopy but it didn't seem you.

I want to personally thank you for your reflection and evaluation of your post. Good day, Sir!

It is not time to think about making a change. The expense of buying out the current contract plus the expense of hiring another coach is going to be prohibitive.  And whoever might be hired still going to have a tough time doing any better than Gus against our ridiculous schedule.  Unless he blows it against Arky or Ole Miss he will definitely be the coach next year.  

Just now, weagl1 said:

It is not time to think about making a change. The expense of buying out the current contract plus the expense of hiring another coach is going to be prohibitive.  And whoever might be hired still going to have a tough time doing any better than Gus against our ridiculous schedule.  Unless he blows it against Arky or Ole Miss he will definitely be the coach next year.  

🙄

42 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

BTW @AUght2win...I have zero problem with the thread, although I agree with WarTim it won’t matter if he loses t all 3, he wil be back...for another 7-5 season next year..but you’re just inviting a Mikey and 64 attack here...

Just so you are not disappointed,

I will only suggest that most of the candidates being discussed are not gonna come to AU and would not win or recruit competitively in the SEC against the current major powers.     I guess it's fun to speculate, especially by the gus haters but hope nobody seriously believes the assessment of those coaches.   Funny that Brohm got missed...a year ago he was gonna wipe the field with AU and be out next coach...and where is Briles and Chip and Petrino?     This whole thread is a big JOKE....JMO

So there...:)   enjoy the evening...

Archived