Coaching Candidates

AUght2win

5 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I respect that opinion. If he were to end up at another P5 program for a couple of years and continues his upward trend, I'll be all for it. 

Where we get into some interesting waters is that if Gus is still here in a few years, we are most likely winning 10 games a year and beating rivals. 

The life of an Auburn grad is one heck of a roller coaster...

Yep...And this has been a loooong 2 weeks. The previous 5 weeks were much more enjoyable.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

A good example is when we ended up with Chip Lindsey instead of Yurchich from Ok State (who is now at Ohio State).

In my opinion, we ended up with Lindsey because Yurchich knew he couldn’t run his offense with Gus as HC.  The man was looking after his future.

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

That killed me! He'd be on my replacement  list too

No way Gus hires an OC like Yurchich, he would be intimidated by their knowledge.

1 hour ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Freeze on a tight leash and Kiffin would be my top two. Both can recruit and score points is bunches. If going the defensive route, Venables, but he's the next Clemson coach when Dabo leaves. The dude at Baylor would probably also be on my list. 

I do like Clark, but I just don't know how he would do in the SEC West landscape as it is today. As I said a few pages ago, that goes for most coaches. I'd just prefer some P5 experience (that isn't the Big 10). 

I don’t know I kind of view Hugh freeze synonymous with Gus. Not in love with Lane, but we could do worse for sure. Lane seems to lose his mind whenever he is at a power 5 school.

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don’t know I kind of view Hugh freeze synonymous with Gus. Not in love with Lane, but we could do worse for sure. Lane seems to lose his mind whenever he is at a power 5 school.

Hugh at least knows how to run better than a chicken s%&$ middle school passing offense. When he was at Ole Miss he def was one of the better passing guru's in the game. IDK if I want him as our next Head Coach but at least I know he would put a really good passing attack on the field. Especially with all the weapons we will have at the WR position.

This yr GM will be responsible and judged as the head coach and OC.  I’m not a gus fan but we have to see how the season goes.  I have seen him try to be more personable this yr but I don’t think he has much personality.  But his players love him so thats more important.  I think he can be a good head coach but only if he brings in a great O coach and lets him hire and run their system.  This is where Gus’s arrogance is the problem that will get him fired.

That’s another thing I don’t really want a coach who has their own trademark whether it be on the offensive or defensive side. I am looking for a coach who has a great ceo mind. They might have their own expertise but they know a little bit of enough to hold everyone accountable. My high for this would be stoops but of course I believe Clark fills that Bill too. So I am guess I am saying as of now I would be high on those two. UM should always be first though.

36 minutes ago, DAG said:

They are buds, and have similar offenses, but Freeze never seemed to have a down season on offense. He's always scored points. 

I'm sorry, but what has Lane Kiffin ever done to deserve another Power 5 Head Coaching gig? Ass-hattery aside, the man made a name for himself as the OC at Southern Cal, and got left off the bus not even midway through the '13 season.

Just. No...

15 hours ago, bigbird said:

I wouldn't call any of those. We'll, maybe Bob but definitely not the other 2

Bird...if you had to pick 3 coaches, who would you pick?  Just curious my friend! Prayers have been sent for your family member.

WDE!!  Doc

12 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Bird...if you had to pick 3 coaches, who would you pick?  Just curious my friend! Prayers have been sent for your family member.

WDE!!  Doc

Doc, here's Bird's post from yesterday, just FYI...

Heupel

Cristobal

Aranda

Jeff Scott

James Leonard

Shane Beamer

16 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Heupel

Cristobal

Aranda

Jeff Scott

James Leonard

Shane Beamer

Aranda!! Love that option

My 

23 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Heupel

Cristobal

Aranda

Jeff Scott

James Leonard

Shane Beamer

Another coach who is an up and coming is Joe Brady with LSU. IF LSU wins out then he will be a hot coach in demand,

Once again this ridiculous to post with a 6-1 top 10 team but you have a proven winner coaching 100 miles up 280.  UAB was supposed to take a step back but they look just as good as ever.  The Tennessee game will be very interesting.  Other proven winners are Baylor’s coach and Iowa State’s coach.  Wake Forests coach should also be up there.  Still ridiculous to even discuss at this point.

22 hours ago, oracle79 said:

I pray you are right. I want nothing to do with a coach that is afraid of challenges and doesn't think he can be the best and wants to face the best.  If all they are interested in is their families and job security, go work for the postal service.

Seems the only ones interested in that type of challenge atm is ex Auburn players that are called yes men though lol. Which this board complains about having too many of. There is a balance.

Also if you have Auburn interested then you have other programs interested of the same caliber. Not many willing to hitch their trailer to a possible one and done season. Especially position coaches.

7 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Urban is going to Dallas.

Recruiting to Auburn will be easy for any coach, especially if they staff well.

My understanding it's Lincoln Riley, even Urban thinks it would be Riley lol.

10 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I would love nothing more than to have been wrong about Jimbo and for him to be a massive bust. Let that giant keep sleeping forever.

Seems that most big jobs come with big competition and big expectations. There's always risk in being at the top (unless you're the good team in the AFC East...). That's what the big money is for. And "failed" coaches always land on their feet tens of millions of dollars later. I don't doubt your friend, and I can imagine that a few candidates might be leery of a perceived stacked deck against Auburn. But this is also a business with a lot of big egos and there won't be a shortage of guys willing to take a shot at the champ. For the right price, of course.

Also, the whole country is looking at a dude not 15 years removed from high school ball who is a few choices on offense away from fielding a perennial playoff contender. Every goofball that puts on a visor here wins big at least once or twice. The schedule is tough but it's not what's been holding us back. And legends get made here *because* of the schedule.

It's not a job for everyone but we're plenty capable of landing a boss. IMO.

I think you guys are missing the point. It is the fact that we toss Gus on the seat every single season now. That is the issue.

We need to make the decision to fire him and do it or stop threatening it every year. That will fix issues with coordinators and position coaches. The Auburn in limbo game with the current HC from my understanding is the biggest issue at those slots when we need to go looking.

8 hours ago, DAG said:

That’s another thing I don’t really want a coach who has their own trademark whether it be on the offensive or defensive side. I am looking for a coach who has a great ceo mind. They might have their own expertise but they know a little bit of enough to hold everyone accountable. My high for this would be stoops but of course I believe Clark fills that Bill too. So I am guess I am saying as of now I would be high on those two. UM should always be first though.

Nice job there! 

12 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I think you guys are missing the point. It is the fact that we toss Gus on the seat every single season now. That is the issue.

We need to make the decision to fire him and do it or stop threatening it every year. That will fix issues with coordinators and position coaches. The Auburn in limbo game with the current HC from my understanding is the biggest issue at those slots when we need to go looking.

Gus has the assistants he wanted. Also, we have nothing but rock stars on defense.

Hiring assistants isn't an issue.

And Gus stays on the hot seat because of his own choices. And the people responsible for the contractual weirdness are gone.

As much as some of you may wish hIm to be,  Gus is not on the hot seat right now,

i think this thread has reached the end of its useful life.

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Gus has the assistants he wanted. Also, we have nothing but rock stars on defense.

Hiring assistants isn't an issue.

And Gus stays on the hot seat because of his own choices. And the people responsible for the contractual weirdness are gone.

Defensive assistants hirings have been great but those ol coach and OC hires. Wayyyul.... 

giphy-3.gif

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Defensive assistants hirings have been great but those ol coach and OC hires. Wayyyul.... 

giphy-3.gif

Sorry. Getting our choice of assistants hasn't been an issue. 

The choices we've made are a different conversation.

Or maybe it's not an entirely different conversation. But we didn't get Grimes because a big name turned us down. We got Grimes because Gus called him before Herb's plane landed in Austin. We got Dilly because Gus doesn't want a real OC. And so on down the line. 

13 minutes ago, Auskip said:

As much as some of you may wish hIm to be,  Gus is not on the hot seat right now,

Not yet.

Once we bombard it with unrelated gifs followed by the humorless complaining of said gifs.....THEN the thread will eventually end.

Hopefully the gif game is solid!

14 minutes ago, Auskip said:

If he loses the next big three I wouldn’t bet on it. Things can change very quickly .

Archived