Coaching Candidates

AUght2win

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

HMMMMMMM 49 million dollars is not security?! WELL THIS IS NEWS TO ME!!!!!! lol. WHO WOULD NOT WANT THAT?!?! WTF KIND OF SECURITY ARE THEY LOOKING FOR?!?! A Jimbo sized lifetime contract? hahaha. WE ARE after all BUYOUT U!!!

Ya and we wanted to dump him not even a year after that and were rumored to be looking for ways to null the contract.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Ya and we wanted to dump him not even a year after that and were rumored to be looking for ways to null the contract.

STILL SECURITY!!!!!! Everyone knows if you want a big fat buyout to provide.... SECURITY!!!!! Auburn is the best place to go!!! haha. Coaches are always set up for life here.

8 minutes ago, keesler said:

Auburn pays top shelf salaries as evidenced by the nations top 5 paid coaches currently on staff today.

Auburn has more stability than just about any program because the Administration is willing to accept mediocrity AND hand out massive raises and extensions when a miracle season unearths itself and we beat two of our main rivals.

Hell, anyone interested aught to look at Auburn as a place were you don't even have to go .500 with your 3 main rivals AND you can even crap the bed every now and then & lose to the likes of Jeremy Pruitt/Joe Moorehead/Dan Mullen and still retain your position. 😒

I'm just going by my friend man, maybe his info is wrong and maybe its right and you go with what feels good to you, but its coming out of current D1 staff's.

A good example is when we ended up with Chip Lindsey instead of Yurchich from Ok State (who is now at Ohio State).

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

STILL SECURITY!!!!!! Everyone knows if you want a big fat buy out to provide.... SECURITY!!!!! Auburn is the best place to go!!! haha. Coaches are always set up for life here.

Lol, true you do get to stay on payroll well past your coaching days.

24 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

A good example is when we ended up with Chip Lindsey instead of Yurchich from Ok State (who is now at Ohio State)

That killed me! He'd be on my replacement  list too

I think what will ACTUALLY happen, should we be in the market this fall, is we go get a shockingly big name.

We won't be scared of going after a big-time guy (just look at what the Pearl hire has done for basketball), and I would imagine everyone is tired of bringing in the next guy with Auburn ties who we HOPE grows into a success. This would also be Allen Greene's signature hire, so he is going to look to make a splash.

Here are a few big names guys and why I think they are possible:

1. Mark Dantonio, Michigan State (129-71) - Dantonio has done incredible things with the Spartans. He's also an expert at slaying giants and dominating rivals. Not sure how great of a recruiter he is, but he is a great coach and developer. Things are beginning to sour between him and Michigan State. He's become a victim of his own success and there are also off-the-field issues. The latter might keep him from coming to Auburn. He's also 63, so who knows if he would want to start again. But I could also see him seriously considering a change of school.

2. Brent Venables, DC at Clemson - it has to happen eventually, Venables will take a big time job. Given that Auburn is a stone's throw away, a great job, in territory where his recruiting connections are already established, I think it would be hard for him to turn us down.

3. Paul Chryst, Wisconsin (67-31) - has anybody watched Wisconsin this year? They are MASHERS. Talk about getting back to Auburn football, Chryst would do it. There's als precedent with coaches bolting Wisconsin. Something is obviously off kilter in Madison. That, and Auburn being a more prestigious gig, could bring Chryst to the plains. 

Things that would get Gus fired: 

1. A loss to Arkansas

2. A loss to Ole Miss

3. A loss to Samford

4. Getting completely blown out by 30+ points by UGA, LSU, and Bama. And with this one, it wouldn't even be a sure thing since two of these teams are very very good this year. 

So basically, Gus isn't going anywhere this year. 

Part of the reason is that there are no safe coaching hires this year. Our options are a) a couple of former head coaches that have failed at good power 5 teams previously (e.g., Les Miles/Petrino types), b) successful coaches in pseudo retirement (e.g., Urban Meyer), c) disgraced former coaches ( Briles, Freeze), and d) a small handful of current head coaches that have done well at less prestigious schools. 

Option A would be the worst option. These coaches are usually guys that have failed to adapt their coaching style that have let the game get beyond them. Stories like Orgeron are not common. Option B won't happen. Most of these coaches would never move into a place where they'd have to play LSU, UGA, and Bama every year. Even if we did find one, the majority of the guys in this category that are available quite frankly won't mesh with the Auburn culture very well. There are folk (including some on this forum) that only care about winning. But there's a strong percentage of this family (myself included) that expect their coach to be a respectable man that fits the Auburn creed. This group (myself included) would never really embrace a Meyer-like jerk of a head coach. Option C won't happen for almost the same reason. A portion of the family wouldn't embrace a guy with a sketchy history. I could maybe see Freeze, but Freeze shows a lot of similarities to Malzahn and wouldn't likely be an upgrade anyway. That leaves option D. With option D, there are some options available. They are far from proven, and we could easily end up worse off than we are now, ending up like Tennessee or Arky 5 years from now. I do feel like Malzahn's tenure to this point has been underwhelming, but I also think it could be a lot worse. If we are going to replace Malzahn, it needs to be with a slam dunk hire. So, I'm hoping that Malzahn pulls it out, because I don't think that kind of hire is available this year.

That said, of the ones originally listed, our best option right now would arguably be Mark Stoops. He's won in the SEC and done incredible things with an UK team that was empty after Joker Phillips. Of course, he's won games in a watered down SEC East. From there, the next best bet would be Bill Clark. Seems to be a smart coach, and can recruit well in this area of the country. Still, he's never coached this level. Mendenhall may turn out to be a really good coach. He was successful at BYU, and has shown some promise at Virginia. Still, BYU plays an easy schedule, and I haven't seen enough success at Virginia yet to be confident that he's a slam dunk hire. If he were hired, he could easily be the biggest steal or the biggest flop in Auburn history. At the end of the year, Fleck may be the hottest commodity, but we'll see how they finish. Also, he's never coached in the Southeast. Not sure how he'd fit with the culture down here, or if he'd be able to recruit well here. As for Campbell, I hate the Chizik comparisons. First off, I think Chizik would be a better coach now than he was 7 years ago. Chizik was a smart coach that made some surprisingly bad decisions in his last 1 1/2 years, some of which included trusting others to do parts of his job for him. Had he not lost the team, I think he could have recovered in 2013 with another change at OC.As for Campbell himself, I see similarities between him and Fleck. I'm not sure how he'd do moving into this region of the country. I saw some other names thrown around, and I think many of them parallel names that I discussed above. Ultimately, there's just no sure thing hires available this year.  

15 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I think what will ACTUALLY happen, should we be in the market this fall, is we go get a shockingly big name.

We won't be scared of going after a big-time guy (just look at what the Pearl hire has done for basketball), and I would imagine everyone is tired of bringing in the next guy with Auburn ties who we HOPE grows into a success. This would also be Allen Greene's signature hire, so he is going to look to make a splash.

1. Mark Dantonio, Michigan State (129-71) - Dantonio has done incredible things with the Spartans. He's also an expert at slaying giants and dominating rivals. Not sure how great of a recruiter he is, but he is a great coach and developer. Things are beginning to sour between him and Michigan State. He's become a victim of his own success and there are also off-the-field issues. The latter might keep him from coming to Auburn. He's also 63, so who knows if he would want to start again. But I could also see him seriously considering a change of school.

2. Brent Venables, DC at Clemson - it has to happen eventually, Venables will take a big time job. Given that Auburn is a stone's throw away, a great job, in territory where his recruiting connections are already established, I think it would be hard for him to turn us down.

3. Paul Chryst, Wisconsin (67-31) - has anybody watched Wisconsin this year? They are MASHERS. Talk about getting back to Auburn football, Chryst would do it. There's als precedent with coaches bolting Wisconsin. Something is obviously off kilter in Madison. That, and Auburn being a more prestigious gig, could bring Chryst to the plains. 

I like Dantonio and Chryst, but I'm not sure they'd have the same level of success here. Offensively, they are a little too behind the curve (running a lot of Al Borges era Auburn type offenses), and neither coach has recruited all that well. As for Venables, I'm just not sure he's head coach material. He's gotten interviews almost every year for the last several years, and he's never been selected. I think that says something about his ceiling. 

5 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I like Dantonio and Chryst, but I'm not sure they'd have the same level of success here. Offensively, they are a little too behind the curve (running a lot of Al Borges era Auburn type offenses), and neither coach has recruited all that well. As for Venables, I'm just not sure he's head coach material. He's gotten interviews almost every year for the last several years, and he's never been selected. I think that says something about his ceiling. 

All true. I do think we pony up and go after someone proven, though.

8 hours ago, shabby said:

How about Gus Malzahn for head coach. I hear he currently has the 11th ranked team in the nation playing against some of the most difficult competition in the SEC.

Doesn't he have a NC ring? And take a team to the NC. Hasn't he beat lil nicky twice? I may be mistaken but didn't his team beat a number 1 in 2017, then beat a different number 1 two weeks later.

15 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Doesn't he have a NC ring? And take a team to the NC. Hasn't he beat lil nicky twice? I may be mistaken but didn't his team beat a number 1 in 2017, then beat a different number 1 two weeks later.

6-13. If it gets to 6-16 you are talking about an unprecedented failure against rivals. 

57 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

In order

Yes 

Yes and lost it when it should have been over at halftime. 

Yes and he's lost 4 times, 6 if you're counting his OC status which you appear to be. Last year he even said ''Uncle" before halftime. 

Yes and then proceeded to lose the chance for another NC appearance by putting all of his eggs in KJs basket. And followed that up but losing to the University of Mickey Mouse- good team but should not be in Auburn's class ever, at all. 

The above is largely why these threads are happening. 

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

How is it relevant if we are 5-1?  Do you think UGA is having the same discussion with the same record?

We are saying it’s dumb because frankly it is.  At least wait until November to even think about this.  It’s unfair to the coaching staff and players themselves to even talk about this.  

Well Dawg fans are not after Kirby but they got a petition to fire Coley.

3 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Other coaches, coordinators, position coaches look at our schedule, whats demanded on that schedule, who the rivals are, and see Gus on the seat every year. They got families and want security, and while coaching always has some instability, we are not super attractive in that regards at the moment.

I pray you are right. I want nothing to do with a coach that is afraid of challenges and doesn't think he can be the best and wants to face the best.  If all they are interested in is their families and job security, go work for the postal service.

9 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I pray you are right. I want nothing to do with a coach that is afraid of challenges and doesn't think he can be the best and wants to face the best.  If all they are interested in is their families and job security, go work for the postal service.

LOVE THIS FAM!!! Completely agree.

17 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I thought you wanted this thread deleted.

13 hours ago, Auskip said:

I have two thoughts on this topic.

The first is something my dad told me back when I was young and single and doing a lot of dating. He said “If you find the perfect girl she won’t want to marry you!”

The second thought is “Remember Tennessee!”

The same Tennessee that came into Jordan-Hare and beat Auburn last year? 

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Okay You can mark out Coach Chryst. He loves wisconsin. This is his dream. He is not leaving Wisconsin to deal with the SEC headache and Auburn. Lol

Matt Rhule, PJ Fleck & Bob Stoops are the best out there.

38 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

The same Tennessee that came into Jordan-Hare and beat Auburn last year? 

Yep, that’s the one. Would you like to trade records with them for the last ten years?

48 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Matt Rhule, PJ Fleck & Bob Stoops are the best out there.

I wouldn't call any of those. We'll, maybe Bob but definitely not the other 2

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Heupel

Cristobal

Aranda

Jeff Scott

James Leonard

Shane Beamer

I'd also like to add Mike Yurcich and Baby Briles

I'll also mention that Lane Kiffen has matured a lot (and hates Saban)

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'd also like to add Mike Yurcich and Baby Briles

I'll also mention that Lane Kiffen has matured a lot (and hates Saban)

A couple of questions because I respect your opinion...

How do you think Kiffen would do at AU?

And do you think AU would ever ever hire him?

1 minute ago, nixtosanders94 said:

A couple of questions because I respect your opinion...

How do you think Kiffen would do at AU?

And do you think AU would ever ever hire him?

I think LK would kill it at AU and I doubt AU would ever give him a look. Sadly, the same could be said for Baby Briles.

Another that will be good someday soon and one that AU would look at is Eli Drinkwitz. I don't think he is ready for AU or the SECw yet though.

Archived