Coaching Candidates

AUght2win

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Bobby Petrino, oh, wait.... Chad Morris, oh, wait... Justin Fuente, oh, wait,...... Lane Kiffin, oh, wait.....Scott Frost, oh, wait...Jeff Brohm, oh, wait...

The above is a more or less chronological list of this message board's favorite candidates to replace Gus, it may be incomplete. This is a simple list of the hot topic guys on here that have since done worse at their jobs than Gus has done at Auburn over the same period of time.

Who's next?

If we are just in the market for unproven, no big boy SEC football type experience cats that are successful at the Iowa States of the world or pick your “insert flavor of the month” guy, then I humbly will throw my hat in the ring. 

Sincerely,

Turner Gill

:) 

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about Gus Malzahn for head coach. I hear he currently has the 11th ranked team in the nation playing against some of the most difficult competition in the SEC.

My dad and I do jokingly keep a replacement list of coaches, but of course it's basically a revolving door. Of those listed in the OP I'll give my thoughts.

First off Bob Stoops ain't coming. It was a nice fantasy but it ain't happening. Same for Urban Myer. He'll wind up at USC when that job opens up assuming he isn't actually done this time.

I'm not sold on PJ Fleck and the Gophers this year, they've played nobody, Illinois and Nebraska are their best wins so far. Color me skeptical... It's easy to Row The Boat on smooth waters

Campbell and Mendenhall could be the same person for all I know. Had some interest over the last couple years but I don't see them any better than middling.

Bill Clark I wouldn't mind, but he does have a love for the northern half of this state and might be comfortable where he's at. So I dunno.

Similar to PJ Fleck but one I'm interested to see play out is Matt Rhule over at Baylor. They are indeed 6-0 bit but they've also not yet played Oklahoma or Texas. But he does come with experience from his time at Temple as well.

Another interesting watch is Scott Satterfield at Louisville. Though he would be a hard snag should they continue improving.

I would look at Harsin up at Boise State who in his 6 years there does have a .795 winning percentage.

And lastly for a big money buy with built in experience, it'd be a long shot but could look at David Shaw or Gary Patterson

My final thoughts. Gus ranks at the Head Coach level within the top 25 in terms of career winning percentage,  outranked by many who inherited championship contending teams and most are deeply ingrained tithe teams they are currently coaching. So any firing of Gus Malzahn short of losing the team or for cause would be very costly not only financially but for the program at large lest we get lucky and find a hidden gem of a coach. In other words, be very careful what you wish for.

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

If we are just in the market for unproven, no big boy SEC football type experience cats that are successful at the Iowa States of the world or pick your “insert flavor of the month” guy, then I humbly will throw my hat in the ring. 

Sincerely,

Turner Gill

:) 

I confess guilt.:clap:

Turner Gill Announcement Today?

1 hour ago, nixtosanders94 said:

No not really. Even our crap coaches win some. No reason at all to make the comparison. Of course if we keep accepting 8-4 seasons then we could certainly become Iowa...

No one thought Tennessee could either. I remember when the third sat in October actually meant something. 

Bronco Mendenhall at UVA should definitely be on the list.  He knows how to build a program, and to sustain one.  Did it at BYU, being the power in the Mountain West, then staying consistent when that school moved to Independent status.  At UVA, he has recruited very well, and unlike most SEC schools, the athletes HAVE to be able to get into school, like regular students.

Josh Heupel at UCF.  I know, I know, it's UCF, but he has whipped Gus with less, and they always play at a very high level.

But honestly, why does Auburn make snap decisions on this type hire?  Look at good coaches in the FCS ranks that have built and sustained very strong programs.  Programs like North Dakota State, James Madison, heck, even Wofford.  A good coach who can build and sustain a program over the long haul at better than 8-4 & 9-3, is better than some guy that spends one year at Arky State, wins with some other fella's recruits, and then takes over a multi-million $ program like Auburn. That hire was just JABA.

52 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

No one thought Tennessee could either. I remember when the third sat in October actually meant something. 

Ok so, no problem. We’ll just perpetually be average because we’re scared...got it...makes sense to me bud.

I would throw Pat Dye into the conversation but he had losses to two pathetic uat teams in ‘84 and ‘85 so he is disqualified. 😎

2 hours ago, shabby said:

How about Gus Malzahn for head coach. I hear he currently has the 11th ranked team in the nation playing against some of the most difficult competition in the SEC.

I don't know about him though, his buyout is crazy high. We better keep looking. 

9 minutes ago, WarTim said:

I would throw Pat Dye into the conversation but he had losses to two pathetic uat teams in ‘84 and ‘85 so he is disqualified. 😎

Especially'84. My first Iron Bowl and I felt like Charlie Brown on Halloween...

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

To lead a program and get EVERYONE fired up and behind Auburn football 100%, we don't have to have a former coordinator.  A leader will hire the right people to run the offense and defense.  I think I actually prefer that the next head coach not be attached or married to a specific system.  That is our problem now.  We have an offense and a guy running it that does not know anything else.  If the plan fails we decide not to use our pistols because we have only learned how to operate the long rifles.

Hiring the right people is sure working for Gus.  And I doubt qualified coaches will want to come and work for an unqualified coach or at least if there is a good DC or OC out there they are not going to come in and take orders from some coach that has not spent time putting in his dues to deserve a HC position.

14 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Hiring the right people is sure working for Gus.  And I doubt qualified coaches will want to come and work for an unqualified coach or at least if there is a good DC or OC out there they are not going to come in and take orders from some coach that has not spent time putting in his dues to deserve a HC position.

I've actually commended Gus on his hiring practices as they relate to defense. 

I feel like he has too strong a propensity to hire offensive coaches that he #1) Trusts, 2#)That know his offensive philosophy, #3)Gives inexperienced guys a job at a Power5 SEC program. 

I'm all for giving young guys a chance, but that's what the GA position is for.  I don't like seeing AU's offensive staffer matched up against our biggest rival's who have a staff full of people with NFL & former HC experience.  In the long run, Gus will live or die by the people he puts under him. 

59 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Especially'84. My first Iron Bowl and I felt like Charlie Brown on Halloween...

giphy.gif

I honestly believe Paul Ott Caruth is STILL running over and through our defense .......

Why is this even a topic of discussion? I get it people would be disappointed if we went 8-4. Realistically there is a good chance with that record we will have lost to 4 top 10 schools. No other team in the country will play that many. There is not a coach on that list that could come in here and go undefeated this year. You could bring Cam back and stick Carnell in the back field with him and we would not go undefeated. 

I expect AU to compete for championships every year. I expect to win 10 games every year. I also understand what realistic expectations are and this has to be one of the toughest schedules in football history. 

5 hours ago, TigerFanAU said:

This is the funniest part of your thread, you're already flaming Gus by creating this half way through the season. 

But here are my candidates:

-Belicheck, Michael Jordan, E.T., and Arnold Schwarznegger. 

Done.

I am sorry you are upset. It can be difficult to read things like potential coaching replacements. I'd put it on par with, as one poster said, considering the early demise of your parents.

3 hours ago, shabby said:

I hear he is 6-13 versus Auburn's biggest rivals. He will not survive going 6-16. Certainly not with a very beatable UGA coming to Jordan Hare.

Well from listening to the upset UGA fans on PF this week.. If they don’t like Kirby, I know I certainly would.  

I still think it’s Stoops though.... He wasn’t “Supposedly” in Montgomery to sight see :)...

My concern is also becoming the TN of the west. If we decide to Let Gus go it needs to be for a big name coach. Otherwise Let Steel have a go. A name like B. Stoops would certainly boost sales dramatically and keep them high for the next foreseeable seasons to to see what he could build. I’d be pumped I know.  We’d really would have to in order to keep up with the top west teams just to be competitive for recruiting. Or the other option is we become content on being a second rate SEC team. I hope we don’t. I don’t want to spend my 40s-50s going 7-5 every year. 

18 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

Why is this even a topic of discussion? I get it people would be disappointed if we went 8-4. Realistically there is a good chance with that record we will have lost to 4 top 10 schools. No other team in the country will play that many. There is not a coach on that list that could come in here and go undefeated this year. You could bring Cam back and stick Carnell in the back field with him and we would not go undefeated. 

I expect AU to compete for championships every year. I expect to win 10 games every year. I also understand what realistic expectations are and this has to be one of the toughest schedules in football history. 

It's a topic of discussion because people want Auburn to be a top 10 school at the end of the year.  And the reason why AU could end up with another 8-4 record will be because Auburn has sat back and watched LSU/UGA/UF go through coaching changes and they will have built their team up to the point where they've surpassed our coach who's in his 7th year at the helm.

The bottom line is that Auburn hasn't competed for championships every year, and they haven't been able to find a way to string together back to back 9 win seasons with this staff.  They've consistently lost 4 games a year for 5 straight years.

But there's still a chance these coaches find a way to break the trend and kick ass the rest of the way and onto a playoff appearance, there's still a chance!

13 minutes ago, Beenjammin said:

Or the other option is we become content on being a second rate SEC team. I hope we don’t. I don’t want to spend my 40s-50s going 7-5 every year. 

AMEN Brother.

That exactly why I don't understand the old guys on this board being satisfied and bending over backwards for this staff? We should want better than what we've got, right?

46 minutes ago, keesler said:

I've actually commended Gus on his hiring practices as they relate to defense. 

I feel like he has too strong a propensity to hire offensive coaches that he #1) Trusts, 2#)That know his offensive philosophy, #3)Gives inexperienced guys a job at a Power5 SEC program. 

I'm all for giving young guys a chance, but that's what the GA position is for.  I don't like seeing AU's offensive staffer matched up against our biggest rival's who have a staff full of people with NFL & former HC experience.  In the long run, Gus will live or die by the people he puts under him. 

Agree with your sentiment exactly but I think the bigger picture is if you hire a HC from schools like Memphis State or Tulsa etc they are not going to be familiar with coaches at the power 5 conference or NFL so who are they going to hire coaches from the conference he came from so the school that hired the MSU or Tulsa coach is going to get a lot of coaches from those conferences so familiarity with hiring assistant coaches is not just a trait of Gus.

first off this is way too early last I checked we are  5-1 and headed for no less than 8/9 wins barring a total team collapse. second after going over your list

1. Bob Stoops - I agree the guy is a winner and i'll probably get heat and poked for this. but just like the "Petrino crowd" that I couldn't understand, I don't get the hype for Stoops again he is a "winner" but his Oklahoma teams earned the "Chokelahoma" title under him having a reputation of losing to K-State, Colorado, Baylor, ISU, etc during potential championship seasons

2. P.J. Fleck - ive heard good things about him and tbh I wouldn't mind potentially giving him a look, ive actually heard some folks refer to him as a young version of "Dabo"

3. Matt Campbell - another young up and comer ive heard good things about, but lets see what he can do away from Iowa State remember how our last  Iowa State experiment ended?:-\

4. Bronco Mendenhall - Im actually surprised he left BYU sometimes football coaches are exactly where they need to be (see Patterson at TCU and Calhoun at Air Force) I don't see him leaving for another school anytime soon though

5. Mark Stoops - id actually be interested to see what Mark could do at a "Football first" SEC program, but I don't think Auburn is the right destination for him at this point in time

6. Bill Clark - ive heard lots of fellow Tigers say they'd like to see this guy as potentially the next Auburn Head Coach and I admit im in that crowd however he does seem pretty devoted to UAB so do we know if he would even be interested in leaving ?:dunno:  - I will say this if I were betting man I would bet on Bill Clark possibly being the next HC of Auburn or Alabama in say 5-10 years from now!

3 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

My dad and I do jokingly keep a replacement list of coaches, but of course it's basically a revolving door. Of those listed in the OP I'll give my thoughts.

First off Bob Stoops ain't coming. It was a nice fantasy but it ain't happening. Same for Urban Myer. He'll wind up at USC when that job opens up assuming he isn't actually done this time.

I'm not sold on PJ Fleck and the Gophers this year, they've played nobody, Illinois and Nebraska are their best wins so far. Color me skeptical... It's easy to Row The Boat on smooth waters

Campbell and Mendenhall could be the same person for all I know. Had some interest over the last couple years but I don't see them any better than middling.

Bill Clark I wouldn't mind, but he does have a love for the northern half of this state and might be comfortable where he's at. So I dunno.

Similar to PJ Fleck but one I'm interested to see play out is Matt Rhule over at Baylor. They are indeed 6-0 bit but they've also not yet played Oklahoma or Texas. But he does come with experience from his time at Temple as well.

Another interesting watch is Scott Satterfield at Louisville. Though he would be a hard snag should they continue improving.

I would look at Harsin up at Boise State who in his 6 years there does have a .795 winning percentage.

And lastly for a big money buy with built in experience, it'd be a long shot but could look at David Shaw or Gary Patterson

For me, the shine is off Shaw. They are having a very bad year and the program seems to have plateaued. Satterfield is a good candidate. Harsin, if you wanna talk about someone who isn't coming, that's one right there. Born and raised in Boise and played ball for the Broncos. He isn't leaving the place he's spent his entire life.

Stoops definitely could come. You think Auburn sounds less appealing than the Dallas XFL team? The guy obviously wants to coach, and we could be a great fit. 

1 hour ago, Carnell said:

You made my point for me.  Hiring the right offensive coordinators has not worked out for Gus.  The reason is because he only wants to run what he knows and any hires he has or will make are only those that will stand by as an OC in title only.  Gus had it right, he does need to be a head coach and leader of the program while letting someone else run the offense.  He just can't do it.  

Man I tell you what,  Patrick Fain Dye sure did have a rough time as a head coach who had never been and offensive or defensive coordinator.  And Tom Osborne sure did struggle in his career with 1 season as an OC before getting to be a head coach.  Then there is that Bobby Bowden fella who was only an assistant at FSU and West Virginia before returning to FSU to become the head coach.  Boy did he struggle mightily in his career without being a full blown coordinator.

Archived